Old July 12, 2003, 20:58   #181
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ok

and how do the rolling dice thing work? i kept getting a 'page cannot be found' error.

Also, how do we varify rolls as legit and not made up? maybe this question will answer itself when i figure out how the online dice roller deals work...
Old July 12, 2003, 21:39   #182
Kramerman
Prince

and ive kinda been outa the loop... what did we decide on as far as the point buy system or randomly rolling for stats? on the character creation thread it said the 32 point buy was most common, but not that that was the wat we were gonna do it.... just curious.
Old July 12, 2003, 21:44   #183
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
About what might be useful, what not:

The campaign will start in a tavern/inn in Waterdeep. About the only class I might not recommend is the druid. The ranger will also be less effective; however, since the campaign isn't written yet, having a party that has a druid and/or ranger might lead to a quest that takes you outside the city fairly quickly.

Someone with some semblance of charisma-based skills (Bluff, Diplomacy, and GATHER INFORMATION) is recommended. In general, I'll try to write the campaign based on the characters, but you really need the above. (Actually what will happen, is that the characters will recieved several offers of "employment" of which they will only be able to accept some, and as a result will end up doing mostly things they are suited for (i.e. if they have a ranger or druid, they might get sent to guard a trade caravan that makes its way through the wilderness)).
Old July 12, 2003, 21:46   #184
Victor Galis
Emperor

32 is what we're going with at the moment, unless someone raises some serious objections.
Old July 12, 2003, 21:56   #185
Kramerman
Prince

that sounds good. I like to be an aasimar paladin, with 32 points i can usually make that work well
Old July 12, 2003, 22:01   #186
Victor Galis
Emperor

Hmmm... there's a level adjustment on the aasimar though. (Going to have to figure out how to handle that.)
Old July 12, 2003, 22:04   #187
Kramerman
Prince

i could easily be a human paladin, thats what i am where aasimar isnt an option, such as in Baldur's gate and neverwinter nights, so if aasimar isnt possible here, np
Old July 12, 2003, 22:13   #188
Victor Galis
Emperor

It's possible, but you'd be a level behind everyone. (Assuming I figure out rules for level 0 characters) This is because Aasimars are generally more powerful than other races. I certainly don't want to discourage you from playing one though.
Old July 12, 2003, 22:22   #189
Kramerman
Prince

yeah... i found this site. pretty striaght forward. aasimars basically need as much experience as one level higher than the one they are about to make.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd...ecltable.shtml

for example:

1st level human:0xp 2nd lvl human: 1000xp 3rd lvl: himan:3000xp 4th lvl: 6000xp

1st level aasimar:0xp 2nd lvl aasimar: 3000xp 3rd lvl: aasimar:6000xp 4th lvl:10,000xp

so it just takes aasimars and other level adjusted characters longer to lvl up. but i was kust saying if you wanted to keep stuff uniform (as the games get really complicated as it is), i could be human
Old July 12, 2003, 22:44   #190
Victor Galis
Emperor

Nah, I can go with that, but no race with a level adjustment of over +1 is allowed (i.e. no drow, no half-dragons (shudder)). This should allow Aasimar and Tieflings.
Old July 13, 2003, 00:12   #191
MattH
King

Local Time: 05:28
I suppose that when the game is going, we'll need two threads- one character (with everybody having one post that lists stats, inventory, etc...) and another thread for the game itself.
Old July 13, 2003, 00:17   #192
Victor Galis
Emperor

The characters could all be put on a website once they're done, no need to take up a whole thread with that. I figure once we're going we could have one thread for general discussion (help newbies with questions, discuss tactics, etc.) and one that's purely in character that would somewhat handle the portions of the campaign that don't need to be too real time. I.e. you are gathering info, planning for upcomming combat, buying stuff... generally telling me how you're spending the free time between encounters (so as not to use the word combats, since not all encounters need involve combat... especially if someone invest in social skills or move silently and hide)
Old July 13, 2003, 05:51   #193
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Barley
As im new to PBE, online type roll play (played D&D loads before - but was face to face).

Do I assume I develop a Character persona / background in terms of something like this.

Character:

Dorgbeard Longshanks (Fighter) of Akinarie, born of a blood lust between rival feudining knights to unite the quarraling tribes. Trained in the art of swordsmanship by Darwield or Derberinan (Master Swordsman). On a quest to prove his valuour in order to fulfill his destiny and in serach of the keep of the fallen Knight "Dingdong"

-> Excuse the name Dingdong but twas the name of a much prized 9th level fighter I once lost in battle with a Red Dragon way back in around 1982.
Yeah, sure, that'd be the best.
Old July 13, 2003, 10:07   #194
ískallin
Call to Power II Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:28
How much level adjustment can we have?
Old July 13, 2003, 13:04   #195
Victor Galis
Emperor

Just +1. Anymore would put a level 1 character into negative levels.
Old July 13, 2003, 13:59   #196
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
About what might be useful, what not:

The campaign will start in a tavern/inn in Waterdeep. About the only class I might not recommend is the druid. The ranger will also be less effective; however, since the campaign isn't written yet, having a party that has a druid and/or ranger might lead to a quest that takes you outside the city fairly quickly.

Someone with some semblance of charisma-based skills (Bluff, Diplomacy, and GATHER INFORMATION) is recommended. In general, I'll try to write the campaign based on the characters, but you really need the above. (Actually what will happen, is that the characters will recieved several offers of "employment" of which they will only be able to accept some, and as a result will end up doing mostly things they are suited for (i.e. if they have a ranger or druid, they might get sent to guard a trade caravan that makes its way through the wilderness)).
My Smooth Talking Sorcerer (16 Cha) should be able to help in this regard.
Old July 13, 2003, 14:03   #197
Victor Galis
Emperor

Yay! A character that can talk... I've been in too many parties that don't have a single character that could talk their way out of a wet paper bag (wierd, mixed analogy, I know... illustrating the poor cha-based skills I have).
Old July 13, 2003, 14:07   #198
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

I also took the Change Self spell, in case I need to sound and look like someone trustworthy.
Old July 13, 2003, 14:09   #199
Victor Galis
Emperor

Yeah... you know those halflings...
Old July 13, 2003, 16:53   #200
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:28
I'd be interested in participating if the game was PBEM (I can access my email everyday - if I can remember to give the e-mail address that's actually redirected as needed - but not poly).
Old July 14, 2003, 02:49   #201
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

try Snowfires one in the story and diplomacy forum

Jon Miller
Old July 14, 2003, 10:50   #202
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 22:28
So a few questions.

How are we going to do this? forums, pms email irc? combo?
When are we going to do this?
Who is going to do this?
Old July 14, 2003, 11:13   #203
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I beleive that we will use forums

probably start this week sometime

Victor Galis will be the GM (Japher and Lonestar might assist)

Jon Miller
Old July 14, 2003, 11:15   #204
Makeo
King

on an related note if i was to buy a rpg game what would you suggest
Old July 14, 2003, 11:19   #205
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

a pnp??

as in systems?

gurps is good, shadowrun seems cool

ADnD is good

Palladium (fantasy) seems to be alright also (not everything seems to work as smoothly as 3rd ADnD thugh)

or are you emaning computer?

Jon Miller
Old July 14, 2003, 11:21   #206
Makeo
King

sorry i meant computer
Old July 14, 2003, 11:24   #207
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

ahh

NWN is great, Morrowind is good

Jon Miller
Old July 14, 2003, 11:44   #208
Japher
Emperor

Victor Galis:

I would be happy to help develop. I think that as there may be an "overload" of characters I could help in addressing character development issues, campeign design, general monitoring, general character questions (for newbies to D&D), cataloging, etc... It would be fund. I will PM you my e-mail and begin work on somethings.

Short list of rules (IIRC): 3rd Ed., FR, Waterdeep (nice), Msg board or mail-list for in game/in character play, OOC could be done by e-mail or on seperate thread (2 threads, one being in character on being OOC), anything else?

If Victor is fine with that, some additional info:

I would like some background info on your characters including motivation and short/long term goals. If you don't have anything in mind than just say so, I will begin developing that strictly from your game play. Also, your character synopsis will change from how you play the game, thus alignment is a little less strict. I would suggest that if you want to play a paladin that you start as a fighter that will eventually get the opportunity to add or switch to a paladin if you play as one.
Old July 14, 2003, 14:24   #209
MattH
King

NWN is too much of a hack-n-slash diablo type (granted, with the complexities of D&D). I feel morrowind has a real story, which is a lot more important than anything else.
Old July 14, 2003, 14:30   #210
Makeo
King

Makeo Mixikano
When the alliance between the Clan of the Scorpion and the Clan of Arun was formalized hostages were exchanged to ensure the continued cooperation of both parties. These hostages were to take the form of the children of some of the houses of nobility and higher merchant classes.
Makeo Mixikano is the son of the House of Snow a lesser family of nobility within the Arun Clan. Although a lesser house the family is well respected by all of the Arun and many of the other clans, due to its Lord and Master an educated and honour bound warrior, Takahashi.
At the time of the formalization of the alliance Makeo was 17, three years the eldest of the hostages bound over to live with the Clan of the Scorpion. The terms of the agreement require all hostages from both clans to receive all honours and training given to members of the host clans, in effect adopting the hostage as a member of the clan. After completing his training with the Scorpion Makeo served with the army of the Scorpion against its enemies, rival clans within the empire, often engaging in operations in concert with the Arun warriors he knew from childhood.
After ten years, the terms of the alliance state that the original hostages are to return to their own Clans. Ten years have passed, tomorrow the leaders of the two clans will meet to reaffirm the alliance and exchange a new generation of hostages.

Two men sit cross legged facing each other within the dojo. The hall is huge, cavernous and the men, sitting in its centre seem dwarfed by it. Both are dressed simply in grey loose fitting robes cinched at the waist with a cloth belt. They are bare foot and are deep in conversation. One man is old, verging on ancient, his white hair is thin reminiscent of cobwebs floating in the breeze. His skin is worn, aged and spotted from many thousands of hours in the sun. His eyes are mere slits in a shrivelled face. A few stray wispy hairs pass as a beard. The other man is young, nondescript, brown hair, medium build.

‘But Sensai the true measure of worth comes from within. If a samurai is true to himself and makes decisions based on his own sense of what is right, he cannot be dishonourable.’ Says the younger man.
‘No, a samurai must be true to his master not himself. He must be loyal to his master above all else. His personal feelings are as nothing. Even to think ill of his master is to dishonour himself.’ Replies the older man
‘I disagree sensei; the duty of a samurai is to uphold honour justice compassion and loyalty. You say loyalty is more important than justice or compassion. If I see a man do wrong, even if it were my master I must do what I think is right. Personal honour is more important than loyalty to ones lord.’
‘Be careful what you say Makeo Mixikano our lord and master is ill of ease as of late, especially regarding yourself. You should not have questioned him, especially in public. The Clan of the Lion has been causing much trouble along our trade routes, Haramatu and his family failed in their mission to protect the caravans and deserved their punishment. You were lucky you did not find yourself also ordered to commit seppuku’ says the sensai rebuking Makeo.
‘Yes sensai, but seppuku has taken enough of our warriors, our Lord is not….’
‘No buts Makeo’, interrupts the sensai, ‘keep your philosophies to yourself. For your own good, now go. You must prepare yourself for tomorrow.’
‘Yes Sensai.’
The young warrior turns on his heal a frown on his face and leaves the hall.’

more to follow.......