Old July 11, 2003, 00:06   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wireless Networking
Networking is one area of computers I lack much experience in.

With my new laptop acquisition, I'm going to be building a wireless 802.11g network in my house. I only need one connection though (my laptop) and I have a switch (not a hub or router), so every individual connection to that demands its own IP address for which I am to pay extra.

But I don't need a new IP address, a better idea is to use my PC (which is on 24/7) as a router.

Is it possible for me to get, say, an 802.11g PCI card in my computer, and have it act as a router so my laptop uses the same IP as my PC?
Old July 11, 2003, 00:20   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't see why not. With windows you can use your computer as a router, and a quick google search confirms that there are 802.11g PCI cards available.
Old July 11, 2003, 00:23   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Is the Windows-router server support good?
Can a regular PCI card "host" a network?
Old July 11, 2003, 00:27   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Its the equivalent to setting one computer with internet connection sharing, then running a crossover cable to the NIC of a second machine.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kprout.htm#wxp has some information on setting an XP system as a router.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; July 11, 2003 at 00:38.
Old July 11, 2003, 01:14   #5
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Pretty soon I'm going to setting up a 3 computer network, mainly to share the internet connection, and wireless is probably the easier (thus better!) option. However, questions;

what is the range of a wireless network...802.11b i think it is that i want...cheap but fast enough for the predictable future, considering the connection is still only 512kbps...

how much would it cost...
Old July 11, 2003, 03:22   #6
Skanky Burns

Range is dependant upon a great deal of things, but you can expect to get up to 328 feet (100 meters) indoors or 1,312 feet (400 meters) outdoors, based on DLink's specifications.

A wireless network is most likely going to cost you more than a wired network, but it is much easier to set up. I don't think you will save too much going with the older standard. 802.11g routers seem to hover around the $150 US mark, wireless NICs are much more variable.
Old July 11, 2003, 03:24   #7
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 07:28
You need a WiFi base station for that?

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 07:46   #8
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 00:28
It's possible through ICS, but it'd be more hassle than just getting a base station. You'd probably get better overall performance out of a base station as well.

Wraith
If it were easy to understand, we wouldn't call it code.
Old July 11, 2003, 08:07   #9
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 05:28
Ash,

You can do it, but with the cost of wireless routers these days in the $60 range for b and $100ish for g it makes better sense to run it through a router. Couple that with the built in firewall of the router your better served biting the bullet and investing in a router.

I'm assuming your laptop has builtin 802.11x if not I suggest looking at USB receiver as the antenna built onto the USB recevier will stretch the broadcast range somewhat over a standard PCIMCIA card. (Prolly runs about $50-60 for b or $70 -80 for g as well.) Whats more with USB you can if need be simply swap out from your laptop to a desktop no fuss no muss.

One last thing. I know 802.11g has been suggested here, but ask yourself do you really need it. The g standard stuff claims transmission rates of 55 Mbps. (In reality it almost never achieves this just as a 56 K modem almost never achieves its top end transmission due to the medium it is transmitting across). If all your attempting to do is share out internet and are not worred about your Lan side speed for file share etc. the 802.11b standard more than meets your needs. (22Mbps transmitting a top end fiber optic DSL connection yielding 2-3 Mbps). The real rub may be long term the obsolecense(sp?) of the 802.11b stuff but for now it is still well supported and is not bleeding edge (hence you can find it and the USB connection recievers) at almost any retail with some bargains to be had.

One more last thing, any of the so called wireless routers (actually a 4 port wired router with built on wireless access point) are also going to give you normally 4 wired connections as well. So if you were to get a "wireless" router you normally would wire in your desktop that you have on 24/7 and then simply worry about the wireless access for the laptop. Again, if the laptop has builtin 802.11x support then all you need concern yourself with is the router.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; July 11, 2003 at 08:40.
Old July 11, 2003, 09:22   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Ash,

You can do it, but with the cost of wireless routers these days in the $60 range for b and $100ish for g it makes better sense to run it through a router. Couple that with the built in firewall of the router your better served biting the bullet and investing in a router.
Only one of my computers (the laptop) will have a wireless connection, though. I don't want to replace my switched hub since it works fine and I don't need the hardware firewall of a router, nor the hassle of mapping ports, etc.

So the base station would hook into the switched hub, but then it'd demand its own IP as well. :/

Quote:
I'm assuming your laptop has builtin 802.11x if not I suggest looking at USB receiver as the antenna built onto the USB recevier will stretch the broadcast range somewhat over a standard PCIMCIA card. (Prolly runs about $50-60 for b or $70 -80 for g as well.) Whats more with USB you can if need be simply swap out from your laptop to a desktop no fuss no muss.

One last thing. I know 802.11g has been suggested here, but ask yourself do you really need it. The g standard stuff claims transmission rates of 55 Mbps. (In reality it almost never achieves this just as a 56 K modem almost never achieves its top end transmission due to the medium it is transmitting across). If all your attempting to do is share out internet and are not worred about your Lan side speed for file share etc. the 802.11b standard more than meets your needs. (22Mbps transmitting a top end fiber optic DSL connection yielding 2-3 Mbps). The real rub may be long term the obsolecense(sp?) of the 802.11b stuff but for now it is still well supported and is not bleeding edge (hence you can find it and the USB connection recievers) at almost any retail with some bargains to be had.
It has built in 802.11a, b, and g. So I don't really mind.

Quote:
One more last thing, any of the so called wireless routers (actually a 4 port wired router with built on wireless access point) are also going to give you normally 4 wired connections as well. So if you were to get a "wireless" router you normally would wire in your desktop that you have on 24/7 and then simply worry about the wireless access for the laptop. Again, if the laptop has builtin 802.11x support then all you need concern yourself with is the router.
Hmm...if they come with wired connections, I may as well look into that too.
Old July 11, 2003, 09:48   #11
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 00:28
I just set up a wireless network in my house. I used a linksys g wireless router for this(It does have 4 hardwire ports as well). It was easy to install and works great. My laptop has the 802.11g card in it. I took an old computer out of the attic and set it up in the kids room and got an 802.11b card for it. The performance is vitually identical on both due to the fact that both of their transmisson rates are far above that of even my dsl line. The 802.11g transmits at 54mps and the 802.11b transmits at 11mps. Both far faster than any of todays DSL or Cable connections. The 802.11g is supposed to have greater range and be less subject to interference. I have not noticed any of those being problems with the 802.11b.

The router was relatively cheap. A little over $100. With the extra flexibility that it gives you, its not a bad investment.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 11, 2003, 10:00   #12
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Yep, it would be a lot easier to just buy a router than to try and configure your pc. Anything to avoid opening a pc casing.