ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Setting up Tenent for the Fall-Guy
Rice: CIA approved Bush remarks on Iraq

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Tom Raum AP WIRE

July 11, 2003 | ENTEBBE, Uganda (AP) -- President Bush's national security adviser said Friday the CIA cleared Bush's State of the Union speech in its entirety, including a sentence alleging that Iraq was seeking to buy nuclear material from Africa.

If CIA Director George Tenet had any misgivings about that sentence in the president's speech, "he did not make them known" to Bush or his staff, said national security adviser Condoleezza Rice.

Her comments to reporters aboard Air Force One came as the administration presented a full-press defense of Bush's use of that allegation against Saddam Hussein, which the White House subsequently acknowledged was based on false information.

"The CIA cleared the speech. The CIA cleared the speech in its entirety," Rice said as Bush flew from South Africa to Uganda. Questions about the allegations in Bush's January speech have followed him on this five-day trip through Africa.

The agency raised only one objection to the sentence involving an allegation that Iraq was trying to obtain yellow cake uranium, she said. "Some specifics about amount and place were taken out," Rice said.

"With the changes in that sentence, the speech was cleared," she said. "The agency did not say they wanted that sentence out."

Rice made the defense of the White House in a rare 50-minute meeting with reporters aboard the president's plane.

The comments come amid published reports that some CIA officials had conveyed to the White House misgivings about the yellow cake allegation prior to Bush's Jan. 28 State of the Union address.

Rice dismissed that notion, noting that the CIA had mentioned such a claim -- that Iraq was seeking to buy uranium from Africa -- in a classified National Intelligence Assessment made periodically to the president.

"If the CIA -- the director of central intelligence -- had said take this out of the speech -- it would have been gone," Rice said. "We have a high standard for the president's speeches."

Asked whether Bush had confidence in the intelligence agency, Rice replied, "Absolutely."

When queried on reports the CIA expressed concern to the White House about the allegation, she suggested that Tenet should be asked directly. "I'm not blaming anyone here," Rice said.

"The president did not knowingly say anything that we knew to be false," she said. "We wouldn't put anything knowingly in the speech that was false."
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 11, 2003, 08:39   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 07:30
Obviously the cabinet is trying to save W

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 10:04   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 00:30
Can you answer me a question?
Are all commie-wannabes full of negative bullshit only?
If so, then the suicide rate must be high, and there's no need to pay attention to them.
Unless one's a mental health case worker, of course.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:12   #4
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 05:30
See my sig, sweetheart.

And I don't see what the CIA has to do with this since it was Cheney who sent the guy over to Niger in the first place, and he reported directly back to Cheney with misgivings from the get-go.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:19   #5
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:30
It is not negative, it just explains that the President is not responsible for what he says in his (high standard) speeches. The high standard means that as and when he says anything that is false, it is not knowingly.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:21   #6
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think the Left just wants to believe that Bush is this deceiving, scheming, dumb, cowboy, warmonger. He obviously knew the statement was a lie, and purposely kept it so that it could further his dirty little scheme to attack Iraq and steal all the oil. right?

The CIA told Bush the info was valid. How was he suppose to know they were wrong? Just like every other President before him, he assumes that the intelligence agencies are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. He has no reason not to believe the CIA if they claim the info is legit.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old July 11, 2003, 10:32   #7
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

While nothing is obvious about this, I don't want to see Tenent set up as a fall guy. If that's what they're doing, then I agree with the commie that this royally sucks.

Personally, I find this kind of finger-pointing to be unseemly. Bush has been able to keep this kind of crap to a minimum so far, so it doesn't look good when it does happen.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 11, 2003, 10:37   #8
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:30
The administration can do no wrong, it's everybody else who cucks up. Naturally.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:37   #9
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Regarding this uranium story, more finger-pointing. However, this is finger-pointing with a twist. We asked the Brits not to keep mentioning this story, but they refused, saying that they had credible intelligence unavailable to the US that corroborated the story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hptop_tb

Blair is sticking with this story, so it doesn't sound implausible...

"The evidence that we had that the Iraqi Government had gone back to try to purchase further amounts of uranium from Niger did not come from these so-called 'forged' documents, they came from separate intelligence," Mr Blair said.

Really, this should be brought out into the open and then minimized. I think the voters had a good idea that the nuclear and al Qaeda links were toughest to prove, and Bush at least will get a pass.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; July 11, 2003 at 10:47.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:41   #10
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Bush will tell you straight up what he's going to do, what he's doing, what he's done.

Some people, not being practiced in the fine art of truthfulness, can't comprehend the concept.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:48   #11
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

He should have been fired long ago so I won't shed any tears over this.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 11, 2003, 12:11   #12
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Bush will tell you straight up what he's going to do, what he's doing, what he's done.

Some people, not being practiced in the fine art of truthfulness, can't comprehend the concept.
The willing guilibility of many people towards Bush is simply amazing.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 11, 2003, 12:36   #13
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
The willing guilibility of many people towards Bush is simply amazing.
The willing gulibility of many people towards Clinton was also quite amazing.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old July 11, 2003, 12:50   #14
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Regarding this uranium story, more finger-pointing. However, this is finger-pointing with a twist. We asked the Brits not to keep mentioning this story, but they refused, saying that they had credible intelligence unavailable to the US that corroborated the story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hptop_tb

Blair is sticking with this story, so it doesn't sound implausible...

"The evidence that we had that the Iraqi Government had gone back to try to purchase further amounts of uranium from Niger did not come from these so-called 'forged' documents, they came from separate intelligence," Mr Blair said.

Really, this should be brought out into the open and then minimized. I think the voters had a good idea that the nuclear and al Qaeda links were toughest to prove, and Bush at least will get a pass.
Well, Blair better present that other evidence, since no one at this point, besides the utter loyalists to him, will go along simply with him saying "there was other intel!, really, i swear!". On the second part, weren't the links to Al Qaeda the most important part. since that was how Saddam would be able to attack the US in the first place? I think the people believed that the links were already proven, not that they would be the most idfficult to find.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 11, 2003, 12:51   #15
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

I never believed him, but he never lied about anything 1/10 as important.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 11, 2003, 12:53   #16
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

che: Can you please make one thread entitled Bush Lied and stick to it instead of making thread. I know you like to make up catchy slogans as your titles but come on. Just make one thread.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 11, 2003, 12:59   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Who was gullible about Clinton? Did Democrats actually belive Clinton's lies about his infidelities, or did they think it didn't matter as far as his ability to do his job was concerned. Clinton's lie in the Paula Jones case affected only Paula Jones, and frankly, it is a question he never should have been asked.

Bush's lies, on the other hand, resulted in a war. Thousands of people were killed, billions of our money was spent, and hundred of Americans have died and will continue to die in the occupation.

And why in God's name do you think I care about Clinton? Communists do NOT support Democrats!
Old July 11, 2003, 13:02   #18
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
che: Can you please make one thread entitled Bush Lied and stick to it instead of making thread. I know you like to make up catchy slogans as your titles but come on. Just make one thread.
This is a different aspect of the lying. The attempt to find a patsy. It seems to be that the Bushies are saying, we didn't lie and if we did it was his fault.

Whatever happened to "The buck stops here?"
Old July 11, 2003, 13:05   #19
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:

This is a different aspect of the lying. The attempt to find a patsy. It seems to be that the Bushies are saying, we didn't lie and if we did it was his fault.

The same arguments will be made over and over.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 11, 2003, 13:09   #20
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
The same arguments will be made over and over.
Perhaps so, but that really isn't my intent, not that my intent matters. Kinda like how my anti-Neo-Confederate thread got turned into a general anti-South thread.

This administration has so little integrity (in both meanings of the word). Rather than bite the bullet, they're falling all over themselves to try and find someone to pin it on and "save" the reputation of the Prez. I don't like Tenent, and I do think he should go, but he doesn't deserve to take the blame for others.
Old July 11, 2003, 13:11   #21
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
If that were true, Tenant would have been fired after he got caught with his pants down by Pakistan's nuclear tests or even after 9/11,
Old July 11, 2003, 22:37   #22
Q Classic
Emperor

we've established it's not good to be bush's enemy.

are we now learning it's not so great to be his friend as well?
Old July 11, 2003, 22:40   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

.... must... resist... urge...
Old July 11, 2003, 23:25   #24
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
.... must... resist... urge...
...say it!, say it!!!

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old July 11, 2003, 23:29   #25
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Funny, Tenet just basically admited that he ****ed up . Saying they shouldn't have approve it. Basically said 'my bad'.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 11, 2003, 23:31   #26
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
Sava! Bring back Alan Greenspan!!!
Old July 11, 2003, 23:33   #27
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
Bush & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

So there...
Old July 11, 2003, 23:34   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

So there...
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 11, 2003, 23:37   #29
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

sorry Aggy... I've got to pay tribute to the scapegoat!
Old July 11, 2003, 23:37   #30
Q Classic
Emperor

you know, you can easily change that line around:

Clinton & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Roosevelt & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Reagan & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Grant & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Nixon & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Carter & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Eisenhower & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Truman & co. are all a pack of liars and anyone who believes them is an idiot, as amply demonstrated on this forum...