Old July 11, 2003, 15:40   #1
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
World Recession Spreads Through Asia, ECB Still Holds Rates Steady
The Economist

Quote:
Interest rates in Asia are falling, as economies struggle with recession and the after-effects of the SARS crisis. But Europe’s central bankers are resisting the rush to cheaper money

WHAT do Britain, South Korea, Singapore and Indonesia have in common? Perhaps not that much. But on Thursday July 10th, all four countries cut interest rates as part of the effort to stimulate economic activity. The decision taken in London had been a close call, with opinion divided before the anouncement on whether the Bank of England would cut. The three Asian economies joined a growing list of countries in the region that have reduced interest rates in recent weeks. The monetary authorities in Hong Kong, the Philippines, Thailand, and Taiwan have already followed the example set by America’s Federal Reserve on June 25th. But the European Central Bank (ECB) decided against any change in rates at its monthly meeting, also on Thursday of this week. The ECB cut rates in June: that, apparently, is enough for now.

The monetary loosening in Britain and Asia only underlines the extent to which the ECB is now out of step. Singapore and South Korea acted after confirmation that their economies had slipped into recession this year. In both countries, the authorities think the worst is over and that growth will pick up during the second half of the year. But in the wake of the SARS crisis, and the general downturn in tourism following increased fears about terrorist attacks, governments in Asia are keen to restore economic confidence.

The Asian Development Bank publishes economic information for the region. The Asia Recovery Information Centre monitors news affecting the Asian economic recovery. See also the Association of South-East Asian Nations and the World Bank's East Asia section. The Bank of England, the European Central Bank and the Federal Reserve post monetary-policy information. The US Treasury Department, the Department of Labour and the Department of Commerce provide economic information and statistics. The EU's economic and financial affairs directorate posts the “stability and growth pact”, provides economic statistics and publishes a recent report on fiscal policy and budgetary imbalances in EU countries. The DIW posts some English-language economic information, and publishes its latest report in German.

Cheaper money has certainly worked in America, according to John Snow, President George Bush’s treasury secretary. In an interview published on Thursday, Mr Snow said a combination of lower interest rates and the programme of tax cuts pushed through by Mr Bush has put the economy on a path to faster growth. Mr Snow expects the economy to expand at an annual rate of 3% in the second half of this year. That might be a touch on the optimistic side—the signals about America’s economic performance continue to be mixed, with unemployment currently at the highest level for nine years.

But even the cautious Alan Greenspan, chairman of the Fed and principal architect of America’s cheap-money policy, has conceded that Mr Bush’s tax cuts have come at a fortuitous time for the economy. Nearly two years after the recession ended, American growth is still relatively sluggish. The uncertain nature of the recovery, coupled with fears about deflation, prompted last month’s rate cut, the 13th since January 2001.

America’s problems pale in comparison with those in Europe, though. The German economy is already technically in recession. Only last week, one of the leading German think-tanks, the DIW, predicted that the economy—Europe’s largest—would shrink during 2003. It said there was little prospect of a significant upturn next year. Yet the ECB’s decision to resist further interest-rate cuts this month was well-trailed. When Wim Duisenberg, the ECB president, addressed the European Parliament last week, he said that the ECB had done its part by reducing borrowing costs in June. Now, he argued, it was up to European governments to do their bit.

Mr Duisenberg does have a point. European governments have postponed much-needed economic reforms. The German government has, belatedly, embarked on a programme of reforms aimed at curbing the excesses of the welfare state. But such changes take a long time to implement, and even longer to have any impact. Germany desperately needs short-term stimulus. Chancellor Gerhard Schröder has decided to bring forward income-tax cuts to Janaury next year—though he has been vague, as yet, on how these will be financed. His government has little room for maneouvre because of the need to bring Germany back within the limits of the euro area’s stability pact, which requires governments to curb borrowing.

So it all comes back to interest rates and the ECB. Some economists suspect that the bank will cut rates again after the summer, but the ECB is building a reputation for doing too little, too late. If, as currently seems likely, Germany remains stuck in the economic doldrums and if, as is quite possible, that has a damaging impact on the rest of Europe, the ECB could find itself getting the blame.
The ECB will definitely get blamed if this turns worse. I'm pretty sure it will regardless of the other lower interest rates.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:04   #2
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What's up with the obsessive focus on Germany?
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:07   #3
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:31
It's all capitalism's fault....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:10   #4
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
What's up with the obsessive focus on Germany?
Why do you say that I'm obsessed with Germany? I'm just interested because of their particular situation. That's all.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:12   #5
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

It has already been turning better, at least in Finland GDP growth was 2,2 % 0,4 % better than the estimated 1,6% Germany will follow. These kinds of things always happens, everyone are too cautious and eventually it turns out that economy does better than hoped for. The only problem is that Finland has too low wages. We're a cheap-labour country considering we are the best educated workforce...employ me pls

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 16:30   #6
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

I would be suprised If Germany reaches a positive GDP growth.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:33   #7
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Why do you say that I'm obsessed with Germany? I'm just interested because of their particular situation. That's all.
I was reacting to that article and the financial press in general.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:35   #8
Kidicious
Deity

One of the things that interests me is the exchange rates. The Euro is not only gaining strength against the dollar, but since the Asian currencies tend to maintain value with the dollar, the Euro is also gaining strength against other currencies. This makes imports cheaper, and I think the ECB likes that, but it also makes it tough for European producers (Germany and France at least).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	crawling tigers.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	49579  
Old July 11, 2003, 16:37   #9
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
I think it's because most people believe that the ECB's policy is unorthodox and risky.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:37   #10
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Just re-read the article for kicks....

....excesses of the welfare state...:gasp: Imagine that...: shakes head:

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:39   #11
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 01:31

Because it's the largest Euro economy. In this sense, the focus is warranted. However, some make the mistake of using it as a bellweather of where the EU is at.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 11, 2003, 16:40   #12
Colon™
Emperor

I think most make that mistake.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:42   #13
Kidicious
Deity

Just because Germany is now part of a larger economy, why is it's growth insiginificant now?
Old July 11, 2003, 16:44   #14
Velociryx
staff

That's just the thing....Germany isn't really part of a larger economy yet. That's the direction things are moving in, but each member nation keeps its own books, funds its own government, collects its own taxes.

There's a veneer of unitity placed over the whole, and a common agreement not to tariff and tax each other to death, and even a move toward standardization (including a standardized currency), but that's a far cry from having a unified economy.

-=Vel=-
Old July 11, 2003, 16:45   #15
Kidicious
Deity

Here's another interesting econ graph. I'll just put it here. I didn't know that India's foreign exchange reserves were growing so fast.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	under the matress.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	49580  
Old July 11, 2003, 16:50   #16
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:

I think it's because most people believe that the ECB's policy is unorthodox and risky.
Why is it unorthodox?

Risky? Would you prefer the Fed's tactic of fighting the hangover of past bubbles by creating new ones?
Old July 11, 2003, 16:51   #17
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

WTF? the japanese are absolutely unbelievable!! They'we got reserves enough to maintain their deflation for another 10 years, thats just ridicilous. It's like an extremely rich guy lives with his stocks for decades after he's declared bankrupt

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 16:55   #18
Colon™
Emperor

Here's another graph

The Eurozone's money supply is growing faster than in the US, its govt bonds have lower real interest rates and its corporate bonds even have lower rates in nominal terms.

It seems to me monetary conditions are quite a bit looser in the Eurozone already. It's not because the American economy is so terribly ****ed up that Europe has to copy its monetary policy.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:57   #19
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Just because Germany is now part of a larger economy, why is it's growth insiginificant now?
Not my point. Why is the rest of the Eurozone's growth insignificant?
Old July 11, 2003, 17:02   #20
DanS
Deity

I think most make that mistake.

Germany also has too large a bully pulpit because of this focus. For instance, Joscha Fischer gets way too much play time for the votes that he and his party received.

But that's for another thread...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 11, 2003, 17:15   #21
DanS
Deity

Here's some jawboning between Schroeder and the ECB.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1012571727092
Old July 11, 2003, 17:18   #22
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Why is it unorthodox?
Too conservative.
Quote:
Risky? Would you prefer the Fed's tactic of fighting the hangover of past bubbles by creating new ones?
Boy you and HO. There really are a lot of you aren't there. I don't think the danger of bubbles is nearly as bad as the danger of recession.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:20   #23
DanS
Deity

Hey, wait! I thought you spent a post showing that the Fed's stance is not as easy as Europe's.

Party foul!
Old July 11, 2003, 17:20   #24
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
WTF? the japanese are absolutely unbelievable!! They'we got reserves enough to maintain their deflation for another 10 years, thats just ridicilous. It's like an extremely rich guy lives with his stocks for decades after he's declared bankrupt
If they didn't stockpile those reserves their currency would be much stronger, and I think deflation would be worse.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:21   #25
Colon™
Emperor

I'm not really worried about Germany. Consumer price deflation may or may not occur, but its economy isn't as isolated as Japan's is. Imports and exports make up a vastly larger portion of Germany's GDP, and its (Eurozone) trade partners act as a safety net. Right now, the low inflation rate only serves to improve the competiveness of German producers vis-a-vis its trade partners.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:24   #26
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Here's another graph

The Eurozone's money supply is growing faster than in the US, its govt bonds have lower real interest rates and its corporate bonds even have lower rates in nominal terms.

It seems to me monetary conditions are quite a bit looser in the Eurozone already. It's not because the American economy is so terribly ****ed up that Europe has to copy its monetary policy.
What does the growth in the money supply have to do with it? The Fed is lowering interest rates when the eocnomy is weak and the ECB is not. Money supply doesn't really matter. Interest rates matter. Nobody cares about money supply when they make economic decisions.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:29   #27
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Not my point. Why is the rest of the Eurozone's growth insignificant?
Europe as a whole is significant. European nations other than Germany and France are not significant.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:31   #28
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:

Too conservative.
Based on what criteria?

Quote:
Boy you and HO. There really are a lot of you aren't there. I don't think the danger of bubbles is nearly as bad as the danger of recession.
You just risk a bigger recession tomorrow.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:33   #29
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Based on what criteria?
Mainstream opinion
Quote:
You just risk a bigger recession tomorrow.
I don't believe that. You really get drag when you are tight with the money supply during times of contraction.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:37   #30
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

Hey, wait! I thought you spent a post showing that the Fed's stance is not as easy as Europe's.

Party foul!
No, I spent a post showing monetary conditions are looser in the eurozone.