Old July 11, 2003, 19:02   #61
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
DanS: Bull, he does everything wrong. The global capitalism needs urgent reforms and GwB is just taking it backwards. It's really about not realising USA is not an isolated remote island somewhere but one of the main engines of our global economy. He should give his adamant support for the UN and really try to develope the global economy. As any european knows it's still very difficult to eg. buy anything online from the us. Now I'm not blaming everything on the US, but GwB just isnt helping at all, his foreign policy is just too much tied up with internal affairs. As US foreign policy has always been...

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 19:08   #62
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
DanS: Bull, he does everything wrong. The global capitalism needs urgent reforms and GwB is just taking it backwards. It's really about not realising USA is not an isolated remote island somewhere but one of the main engines of our global economy. He should give his adamant support for the UN and really try to develope the global economy. As any european knows it's still very difficult to eg. buy anything online from the us. Now I'm not blaming everything on the US, but GwB just isnt helping at all, his foreign policy is just too much tied up with internal affairs. As US foreign policy has always been...
If the US is the engine of growth then he should do everything he can to grow the US economy falling short of creating barriers to access to our market. This is the first time that I've heard that complaint about people in the US not being able to buy things online from Europe.
Old July 11, 2003, 19:13   #63
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 01:31
The global capitalism needs urgent reforms and GwB is just taking it backwards.

A lot of reform is being done, and would be done regardless of what the US said or did. China and India continue to open up. Some European countries are reforming, if perhaps slowly.

his foreign policy is just too much tied up with internal affairs

This isn't true. We're doing our best to liberalize trade, for instance.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 11, 2003, 19:21   #64
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Maybe I didn't phrase it right. US is one of the main engines of our global economy. It means that it's not the only one and since there are others we need a basic set of rules. I know we have WTO-for that but you know USA and EU arent exactly playing fair. Not to mention China, Korea and Japan. What we really need to do is to decide are we going to release our markets totally to capitalism or should we let our goverments have some power over economic issues. It has become clear that we can't go on like thisand both the ways need strong international cooperation.

Also, japan may need our help in the future. It's good for us they do well. I don't know so much about US economy but I reckon it's quite dynamic and strong despite some recent setbacks..

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 19:24   #65
Kidicious
Deity

laurentius,

I wouldn't count on as much global cooperation as you have in Europe. Not gonna happen.
Old July 11, 2003, 19:25   #66
laurentius
King

Well, at least we have to hope it will. I really see only bad scenarios if we continue like this.

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 19:32   #67
DanS
Deity

Also, japan may need our help in the future. It's good for us they do well. I don't know so much about US economy but I reckon it's quite dynamic and strong despite some recent setbacks..

During the Clinton administration, we railed against the Japanese policies every time we met with the Japanese. The Bush administration has decided to say "they know that we think they're screwing up their economy, no need to be high-handed" and leave it at that.

I agree that we would all be better off with a healthy Japanese economy.

What we really need to do is to decide are we going to release our markets totally to capitalism or should we let our goverments have some power over economic issues.

Well, the US has already done much of this unilaterally, the steel and agricultural stuff notwithstanding (neither is a large part of the US economy, after all).

The US can only lead by example--to show that it pays to open up an economy. We can't force anybody to do what they need to do.

But anyway, more than half of the world's people are living under governments that are liberalizing their economies. We are going the right direction!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 11, 2003, 19:38   #68
laurentius
King

DanS: are we? As a leftist I'm not so sure about it

- Paul Valery
Old July 11, 2003, 19:57   #69
DanS
Deity

Well, what would you want the US to do or say?

I don't agree that capitalism is suffering some sort of crisis. More like it's entering a golden age.
Old July 11, 2003, 20:05   #70
laurentius
King

Dan, Even I don't have ALL the answers and right now I'm too tired and/or drunk to answer. I do think that you will find the answer to your Q from my earlier posts. it's 3 am here and after 3.5 litres of beer I am relly getting sleepy. Also I must be able to drive tomorrow morning Hope you understand...

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; July 11, 2003 at 20:13.
Old July 11, 2003, 20:11   #71
DanS
Deity

OK, you get a pass, this time.

By the way, why would China be the ones to pick up the pieces from the Japanese implosion? Who has the biggest economy, after all.
Old July 11, 2003, 22:27   #72
Kidicious
Deity

What I find interesting is that there seems to be three camps today. The mainstream camp is the neo-classical camp (Aglo-Saxon Turbo-Capitalists as HO puts it). Like DanS, they believe that free market globalization is leading capitalism into a new golden age. I think you can include a subgroup of Supply-Siders to this group. Then you have the old Austrian School saying that monetary policy is causing disruptions to the market. Like Colon, they say that attempts to fine tune the economy makes capitalism unstable. And then you have a few communists like myself saying that capitalism is unstable and doomed to eventual failure that it won't be able to recover from. The group that seems to be missing is the Keynesians. There are some of them, but they are few and far between. I remember in the 70s when our president Nixon said, "We are all Keynesians now." Wow are we far from there now! What's going to happen if the global economy collapses? Will there be any Keynesians then or will the Austrian School win out? What will be the consequences? Interesting.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:00   #73
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious Only lower interest rates can drive growth or slow it down. Increased money supply can cause inflation eventually if the economy doesn't pick up, but why are you worried about inflation?
Money supply growth + money velocity growth = nominal output growth = real output growth + inflation.

Does that ring a bell? It might haven't crossed your thoughts yet, but a CB lowers interests rates exactly by stimulating money supply growth. Or at least by attempting to do so.

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. The're too high.
Compared to what?
Old July 12, 2003, 13:08   #74
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Money supply growth + money velocity growth = nominal output growth = real output growth + inflation.
Yes, but lower interest rates are needed to increase velocity. The point is that increased money supply may lower rates, but unless rates are lowered people will not spend more.

Another point is that you can have a larger money supply with a smaller output and not have inflation. When people start spending you can decrease the money supply.

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Compared to what?
They just need to be lower to stimulate growth.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:08   #75
Colon™
Emperor

BTW those Anglo-Saxon Turbocapitalists are just Keynesians in disguise. We are the real deal.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:31   #76
DanS
Deity

BTW those Anglo-Saxon Turbocapitalists are just Keynesians in disguise.

This can't go without a response.

Keynes would go far, far beyond the modest actions taken by the Anglo-Saxon Turbocapitalists in trying to control the economy. Keynes is about far more than futzing with the interest and tax rates.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:38   #77
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 06:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Boy you and HO. There really are a lot of you aren't there. I don't think the danger of bubbles is nearly as bad as the danger of recession.
Uncle Alan gives you both in abundance. But I'm not surprised by a whacko Leftie being a fan of Greenspan. It's a strange, strange world.

"Only lower interest rates can drive growth or slow it down."

So let's say lower interest rates don't increase aggregate credit and money supply, where exactly is extra demand coming from? Hardly velocity.

Azazel:

"IIRC, Japan has a budget deficit. in the same time, Japan suffers from Deflation. why can't the government just print some money, and take care of both problems?"

That's essentially what they (and the Fed) are doing, just a bit more elgantly.

Dan:

They are operating from the same assumptions about the power of the nannystate. Also, if you look at the manipulation of the mortgage market or the fed-engineered bailouts, the anglosaxons have a lot of other tricks up their sleeves.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 12, 2003, 13:45   #78
DanS
Deity

Yes, the mortgage market is manipulated to give us a better result. I don't deny that. However, all central banks manipulate the financial sector to some degree. Whether in aggregate the Anglo-Saxon sphere is worse than others, I don't know.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:46   #79
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:31
Quote:
"IIRC, Japan has a budget deficit. in the same time, Japan suffers from Deflation. why can't the government just print some money, and take care of both problems?"

That's essentially what they (and the Fed) are doing, just a bit more elgantly.
Since the deflation continues, and the deficit is still there, why not stem on a pedal a bit more?
Old July 12, 2003, 13:51   #80
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Yes, the mortgage market is manipulated to give us a better result. I don't deny that.
Better results through government manipulation. You're one bloody commie - looking for a job at GOSPLAN?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 12, 2003, 13:54   #81
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Since the deflation continues, and the deficit is still there, why not stem on a pedal a bit more?
Well they tried new spending packages again and again - it didn't work. I think doubling the deficit to what, 20 % of GDP, would also just create a blip. But I think "deflation" is not the problem, which will get me ridiculed by angry Enron shareholders.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:57   #82
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
So let's say lower interest rates don't increase aggregate credit and money supply, where exactly is extra demand coming from? Hardly velocity.
I'm confused. If lower rates don't result in increased aggregate credit then demand must be decreasing. I'm not sure what you are getting at. I'm not saying that increased money supply doesn't increase output, but that it only does so when interest rates are lowered, ceterus parabus.
Old July 12, 2003, 13:58   #83
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:31
Did their increase in spending follow an increase in the, ahem, production of cash, as I said? because otherwise, esp. if most of the money was raised internally, this would mean little.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:07   #84
HershOstropoler
Settler

Kid: I have no idea what you are trying to say. But maybe this will end the issue anyway: "that it only does so when interest rates are lowered" - and the ECB has lowered interest rates, and money supply is reacting more strongly than in the US. The reason is that we pretty much maintained economic balance, while the US economy is ****ed from one end to the other.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:16   #85
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
and the ECB has lowered interest rates, and money supply is reacting more strongly than in the US.
Show me.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:17   #86
Kidicious
Deity

Do you mean that the money supply has increased more in the EU than in the US or that output has increased more in the EU?
Old July 12, 2003, 14:35   #87
Kidicious
Deity

Does the ECB even keep track of the economic growth of the EU? I can't find the stats at their website.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:42   #88
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, but lower interest rates are needed to increase velocity. The point is that increased money supply may lower rates, but unless rates are lowered people will not spend more.
And as I've told you over and over again, corporate bond rates and govt bond rates are lower in the Eurozone than in the US. Obviously there are other factors.

From May's report of monetary developments in the eurozone: "On the asset side of the consolidated balance sheet of the MFI sector, the (non-seasonally adjusted)
annual growth rate of total credit granted to euro area residents increased to 4.9% in May, from 4.7% in
April."

Quote:
Another point is that you can have a larger money supply with a smaller output and not have inflation. When people start spending you can decrease the money supply.
Rephrase please.

Quote:
They just need to be lower to stimulate growth.
Credit availability isn't the sole determinant of growth.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:42   #89
Kidicious
Deity

According to the European Commision the European Union's economy grew by 0.1% in the first quarter. Wow HO, that monetary policy of yours is doing wonders.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:44   #90
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:

Show me.
*KUCH*