Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Some dwarves are just so nosy
Old August 14, 2003, 02:38   #122
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:31
But at least they are polite about it. I shudder to think how Kory would be asking...

EDIT: Although it probably wouldn't be anything like "You are a nice fellow.**I'm pleased to meet you."

Last edited by Skanky Burns; August 14, 2003 at 03:39.
Old August 14, 2003, 18:16   #123
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:31
My Oberlin email is down at the moment- perhaps this will be the big sleep for it, not sure- so be sure to cc any private communication to me to peteringraham@att.net as well.
Old August 15, 2003, 03:44   #124
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Apologies.

My email provider has been down all today, and due to the fact that I am going away for the weekend, there will not be much said by Dorlin for the next few days. Apparently fastmail is hosted in USA, and the power outage has caused some problems.

Quote:
Although our data centre has diesel backup generators, all access to the centre is down. This may be due to upstream router power failures - we are still investigating the exact cause. We don't yet know when the data centre will be available. Quotes on CNN suggest that power should be back by morning.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; August 15, 2003 at 03:50.
Old August 15, 2003, 04:47   #125
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
I'm having the same problem Skanky, at least we won't lose any mail (they set up a backup mail server in Texas to queue all the messages), but it might be a while until we can read them again.

Damn.
Old August 15, 2003, 16:28   #126
SnowFire
Emperor

Hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I think, in the grand tradition of email, we'll march forwards since I think your abcense won't make too much of a difference, but we'll see. With any luck, you'll be back just in time for either the finale or the downtime before Mission 2.

As a side comment, even moving as speedily as we have been, knowing the amount of stuff I have prepared... the 6 month request earlier on doesn't seem likely to be fulfilled, as a warning. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 9-15 months, depending on how many delays occur. Oh well. Thankfully, for those who are interested in the long haul, I'm reasonably certain that replacements are available should some drop.

And oh yes. My college mail server was down thanks to the blackout, as well. Good thing I have the backup...
Old August 17, 2003, 05:31   #127
Skanky Burns

The good news is that my mail server is back, and I am also back from my weekend away.
The bad news is I have to go in to work tomorrow morning at 5 am until 9.

What that means is I won't be catching up for an additional 12 hours (and will be bloody tired).

For Wraith or Nathan, Dorlin will be happy to melee with the lead spider while Menchi and Kory take pot-shots at it (some are bound to hit the thing), perhaps as a rear-guard action as we all beat a hasty retreat to get some arrow-fodder houseguards in on the action.

Or not. In 12 hours I will put some serious thought into this.
Old August 17, 2003, 07:17   #128
Urban Ranger
Deity

Giant spiders? Looks like fun
Old August 18, 2003, 01:48   #129
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Dorlin has 7/13 HP, everyone else is full.
Yeah, it sounded fun at first...

But I got him much better than he got me!
Old August 18, 2003, 16:46   #130
SnowFire
Emperor

Yah, just don't think you'll be doing that kind of damage all the time- most humans are smart enough not to charge at readied pike-style weapons. ;-)
Old August 18, 2003, 19:26   #131
Skanky Burns

Critical hits are fun though.
(against others)
Old August 19, 2003, 22:13   #132
Urban Ranger
Deity

Hey, don't look at me like that
Old August 19, 2003, 23:49   #133
Skanky Burns

Quote:
[OOC: how do I make the bluff and diplomacy rolls anyway?]
There is a free Dice Roller Program you can use for any sided dice, complete with modifiers. One drawback is that you have to fill in every field for it to work - even the "optional" one.

You use a 20-sided dice, the modifiers should be listed in your character sheet. You use 1 dice per skill check (and of course check each skill seperately).

And we are still waiting for your character backgrounds.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:39   #134
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
As a side comment, even moving as speedily as we have been, knowing the amount of stuff I have prepared... the 6 month request earlier on doesn't seem likely to be fulfilled, as a warning. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 9-15 months, depending on how many delays occur. Oh well. Thankfully, for those who are interested in the long haul, I'm reasonably certain that replacements are available should some drop.
Considering I was the only one iirc to actually specify a time-frame, I guess that is aimed at me.
I change my preference to being interested in the long haul.

Also, what is happening with Mission 1? Both Wraith and I have replied to the latest email, and Nathan is away until Friday iirc.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:50   #135
SnowFire
Emperor

Hey, the DM can be busy too and slow to respond.
Old August 21, 2003, 01:43   #136
Skanky Burns

Old August 21, 2003, 22:24   #137
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
There is a free Dice Roller Program you can use for any sided dice, complete with modifiers. One drawback is that you have to fill in every field for it to work - even the "optional" one.
*sniff*

I think I'll just make up the numbers as we go along

Quote:
You'll know when you get to meet Zerak
Old August 22, 2003, 01:47   #138
Skanky Burns

I can pencil in "bad aim" under his description already...
Old August 23, 2003, 06:16   #139
Urban Ranger
Deity

Yeah? Well you go and stand in front of Zerak
Old August 23, 2003, 10:05   #140
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Might be the safest place...

Anyway, I hope you two are nosier than Dorlin and Korendil. Those guys just aren't nosy enough. Where's the fun if we can't go around pissing off all the nobles by prying into their secrets?

Wraith
PC:"There are HOW MANY GNOLLS in that courtyard ?"
GM:"Well, about 200. Want to stop and count them?"
Old August 25, 2003, 03:12   #141
Skanky Burns

Just a quick note: How long is our downtime going to be approximately? I need to organise my notes properly and it is taking much longer than anticipated. In other words, it will be a few days before Dorlin appears to actually be doing anything.

Hopefully that won't be a problem.
Old August 25, 2003, 19:00   #142
SnowFire
Emperor

I say that it'll stop Wednesday at the earliest. So you have some time. Uvaer at least wants to go on a little mini-adventure, it seems, so...
Old August 27, 2003, 10:14   #143
Skanky Burns

Got it in just an hour before Wednesday ended (for me).

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Quote:
You'll know when you get to meet Zerak
/me drums fingers on desk...

Last edited by Skanky Burns; August 27, 2003 at 11:25.
Old August 28, 2003, 05:30   #144
Urban Ranger
Deity

Didn't you read the e-mail messages?

He's 5'11", a bit thin, and appears cheerful -- and diplomatic. Oh, he's got an owl, too.
Old August 28, 2003, 13:09   #145
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Zerak's mind shouts back: Wait a second, that is a description of me, not a background. It doesn't even mention where I grew up!
Teeheehee.
Old August 28, 2003, 14:51   #146
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry, should have posted earlier.

Uvaer is from the mountainous region north of Upper Vorfinch. 6 months of the year the region is covered in snow. Summers are surprisingly warm.

My family live in a mining community set up by the old Seridian government. Since the collapse of the empire we gained autonomy. The community is large but very little contact with outsiders now occurs. Recently small trading has began to occur with the new Meria Empire.
The local noble family is only distantly related to the Seridian nobility and due to the isolated location and interbreeding with the locals is now considered to be local themselves.
It is a tight nit community that now has to be self sufficient both economically and militarily. Goblins and the Dark Elves while rare are still a danger in this part of the world. The town sits around the keep, built when the Seridian Empire was at its height.

Up until 25 years ago we traded equipment, metals and mining knowledge with the dwarves however they have since disappeared leaving us almost completely isolated.

Whilst most of the community originally was to support the mining industry this lessoned with the fall of the Seridian Empire only recently becoming important again.

My family was traditionally in the service of the old Seridian Duke as huntsmen, trackers and rangers however more recently with the degradation of the noble family we have served the community as a whole in a similar role.
Due to the hostile nature of the world around us we have also had to serve as outlying border guards/scouts/sentries. More so than others from the town.

My parents are alive and well. I have an excellent relationship with my parents.
I have three siblings. Three sisters. Two are married, one still lives at home with us.
I am unusually single for someone my age. Mostly because most of the local girls bore me with their insular view of the world. I see the mountains and want to see what’s on the other side.

Although visitors are rare one young family did arrive in Bailton staying for a number of years. My eldest sister fell in love with the son of that family and travelled with them when they eventually moved on.

We have not heard from her in 4 years.
I am bored with my life in Bailton and have decided to search for my sister.
I have been searching for over a year. Initially I travelled through Seilje, Valkyborg and Adelhyde.

I had heard from relatives of the family that my sister and her husband may be in Meria. It appears not, so far. I now have no further leads, have no money and do not want to return to Bailton.

Hence I join the army just to get enough money to move on, in the search for my sister.

There is some other stuff, but I won't post everything.

I'm Human. Ranger. 5 11. 180 lbs. Nondescript, brown hair, blue eyes. Leather armour, I carry a Great Sword but prefer to use my bow.

Last edited by Makeo; August 28, 2003 at 15:16.
Old August 29, 2003, 04:58   #147
SnowFire
Emperor

Good news. Today, I didn't spend all of my 3 hours (the amount I seem to be spending per day on this) devoted to writing up huge replies; maybe that city description will be actually up tommorow. I know I just finished the crude map; all I need are some brief descriptions now. And I can finish planning the details on Mission 2.
Old August 30, 2003, 01:51   #148
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
Zerak's mind shouts back: Wait a second, that is a description of me, not a background. It doesn't even mention where I grew up!
Teeheehee.
Pah

You get to know Zerak better when you start talking more with him.
Old August 31, 2003, 21:54   #149
Urban Ranger
Deity

All is quiet on the eastern front?
Nothing happened during the weekend, yes?
Old August 31, 2003, 22:34   #150
SnowFire
Emperor

Aside from me helping repaint my parent's bedroom, no.

Hopefully Mission 2 should be sent out tonight. Probably late tonight.