Remain noncompetitive 6 16.22%
Become competitive 4 10.81%
Remain noncompetitive and hand out awards 21 56.76%
The great banana 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12, 2003, 15:07   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apolyton University Poll 2 - Competition or not (redux)
This will be the second in a series of polls regarding Apolyton University and the four Civ3 democracy games played here on Apolyton. Per the initiative of Theseus in this thread http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...threadid=90953 we are attempting to increase the attractiveness of each with introduction pages, new ways of approaching players, and generally more fun. This second poll will provide a compilation of ideas from the thread expressing the viewpoints on competitive games for Apolyton University. Please vote on whether you believe Apolyton University should remain a non-competitive game with its current During Action Report (DAR) format, should become a competitive game similar to the Game of the Month (GOTM) at CivFanatics, or should become an amalgam of the two incorporating ideas such as fun awards; and then post with your reasons. Thanks.

The case against competitive:

1) It's the whole community aspect that keeps me interested in Civ3. It's being able to play with a group of people from around the world and sharing our hardships and our victories. It's cheering for each other, giving a piece of advice, or a pat on the back that makes AU so great and why I will continue to participate in it.

2) Also, once people began posting images to the AARs and DARs, the marketability, ease and enjoyability shot through the roof. Still love to see when people lay out their battle plans and I still read the AARs because I find them enjoyable and I need to vicariously play somewhere

3) AU isn't about scoring/grading, but rather about playing a game along with other people and discussing it during and after. No pressure, but still plenty of opportunity to learn.

4) The advantage is that we would be targetting a different group, instead of competing with CFC. Let us take take the novices on and turn them into good players (so then they can go and compete in the GOTM competition)

5) A community to play and share the same game in the spirit of Zachriel's posted games: the chance to play a fun game, face some of the same circumstances as other players, compare your circumstances and decisions to others', learn a little, teach a little, and maybe tell a good story, too.

6) The offer of moving up difficulty levels in a non-competive environment. Just playing through a few courses of AU won't automatically make you a better player. If you're badly losing several games with the same strategies, then using those strategies and losing on AU is no different than losing on a regular game. But discussing your game with others, reading what strategies they used, and then implementing new things...that's what helps make you a better player.

7) In addition to advertising that the AU hones the skill of all players, maybe insert a blurb noting the AU is a good "Newbie Training Ground" or similar. Emphasize AU can help with the basic aspects of the game at the basic level. Maybe even include basic information on how to capture screen shots and post them - all the first time stuff that feels inclusive.

The case for competitive:

1) The biggest single event that developed people's interest in GOTM to the point where we have 250+ entries each month was the introduction of the QSC - the Quick Start Challenge. It was a contest over the first 80 turns of the game ie up to 1000bc to see who could develop their civ the best. Inevitably there has been a lot of ahem discussion about the mechanics of the scoring but one spinoff has been that everyone keeps really detailed records turn by turn of every move. That in conjunction with Crackers guide to the opening moves has done more to raise standards of play than anything. SGs are great but it’s not possible for 200+ people to play in them and compare.

2) Even more so than AU games, competition makes one consider the game and one's gameplay more closely. They discourage static play, but encourage taking gambles to further one's gain. And it is always good to see how one stacks up against other players to find out where his strengths and weaknesses are.

3) Lets say the AU is split in two. One is competitive and one is for learning. In the learning one there will be "professors" there that help with the learners game and stuff like that. Also how to improve. In the competitive side well that could be worked out later.

4) From CanuckSoldier - Speaking as an Admin of Civ3players Ladder, we have a thriving internet online MP community. We, however, are not inherently limited to just online games. We have so far provided a framework for a competitive ladder, many varied Tournaments, and a very popular Epic game format. There is nothing that says that wins/losses can't be recorded on the same ladder for any other type of game....we have thought of creating specific rules to accomodate PBEM veterns, although there are many sites catering to this already. If there is someway we can provide a system for friendly competition of any format just drop me a line, we have a very dedicated staff of Admin's and TD's.

The case for awards:

1) When you think about, given the way that AU is set up, we really *can't* have outright competitions (well, we could, but it would be limiting and a huge PITA). I'd like to go with a modified version of the award system that Kon came up with for MZO Boot Camp. These can be handed out per game. Also, we should have a special and unique award for each game. So awards or whatever is used needs to be for that game only. All awards should be given for each level of play. Many newbies will be interested in playing if they have chances to win an award at their present level of playing.

2) Examples of MZO awards: The Kofi Anan Award: Fastest Diplomatic Win. The Neil Armstrong Award: Fastest Spaceship Win The Hernan Cortés Award: Fastest Domination Win.

3) As AU is non-competitive and learning-oriented, what about awarding prizes based upon something like an "artistic impression" (something NOT based on score or not solely based on score). Like: most impressive/elegant win, best AAR/DAR, best story. After a new AU course would be announced and published, there would be a certain period (1,2,3 months) people could submit their AAR/DARs and stories for a "contest". After this period would be over, all entries would be organized into a simple poll and people would choose the ones they will have liked most. Those that played the AU course and submitted their AAR/story might have multiple votes or something, to encourage participation, while not excluding those that are happy just watching...

4) Not "Most Improved" from game to game, but rather "Most Improved" in a single game. 1. Mucho invitations to new players. 2. DARs at 2150BC or 1000BC... in a supremely nice way, every one jumps in with the "standard" suggestions (e.g., 3-tile CP, mine, more workers, don;t over-garrison, etc.). 3. Award goes to most 'improvement' by 10AD. It's sorta analogous to the Quick Start Challenge in the GOTM, but much more in the 'poly style.

4) Awards given to players to underline a specific achievement (not necessarely winning the game) will spark interest from the people just lurking and not participating.

5) I like the idea of giving learning awards more than grades. I don't think I would have ever joined if I were to be graded. It's kind of discouraging for the newbies. Instead I got some good constructive critisism and a lot of help. I personally didn't feel any elitism at all.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:41   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Good approach to sorting through the arguments in the original thread.

I'm for awards, either by vote or by a "Game Master."
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 13, 2003, 02:54   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'm for awards, either by vote or by a "Game Master."
It appears that's the way it is heading right now. That's what I was hoping for anyway. I like the idea.
Old July 13, 2003, 09:20   #4
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 00:35
Great summary here, Rhothaerill... Everything has been said in your first post...

I'm for awards, for obvious reasons...
Old July 13, 2003, 12:20   #5
Tassadar500
Emperor

Now should the awards be given by the Chancellor or by the voting public?
Old July 13, 2003, 12:58   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
Is the great banana choice the one that says it up to you?
Old July 13, 2003, 13:02   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

It essentially means "I abstain" from voting. It's used a bit in the polls in the democracy games. I think there is a thread floating around about how "banana" came to mean that, but I don't know offhand where it is.
Old July 13, 2003, 19:44   #8
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 00:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Now should the awards be given by the Chancellor or by the voting public?
It depends. For objective awards (such as fastest finish, etc...), no voting is necessary. For subjective awards (Best AAR, Most improvement, etc.), I think a vote is the best thing to do.

--Kon--
Old July 13, 2003, 22:42   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:35
I would really hate the idea of awards or making AU a competition.

I started the last AU with some small trepidation, as I had seen just how well the veterans did in other AUs. It seemed that it might be a little bit difficult to start into, but turned out not so as it was not a competitive environment, but one where you learned off the vets and feedback was given all around. I enjoyed this start (although stopping shortly after beginning due to time commitments and the HUGE map size slowdown), and this experience means I am eager to start an AU that my processor can handle (free time or no free time!). This would not be the case if there was any competition evoked. No-one likes feeling pathetic, and that is exactly how I and I believe many others would feel in a competitive environment. That's not Community-building, and it would take a lot of courage for me to attempt another AU were I to know that I would end up being compared to other players.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 15, 2003, 00:36   #10
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Looks like awards are winning right now. Small bump like poll #1

To MrWIA and others, you don't have to compare your AU games to anyone if you don't want to. It would be completely voluntary, just like writing the DAR's (and I envision that you can write DAR's and still not submit your game for awards if you don't want to). The intent of AU...to learn and to teach...will remain the same.
Old July 16, 2003, 07:33   #11
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:35
I'm for awards, as long as they are given for each difficulty level (as to encourage newbees to start).
There should be 'objective' awards as 'fastest victory, 'greatest score' etc. and 'personal' awards as 'best AAR/DAR', 'best improvement' etc., attributed by polls.
Of course, everyone should have the possibility of opting out of the award roster.