View Poll Results: Next choice of Science (if Engineering is once again not available)
Navigation 6 60.00%
Future Technology 0 0%
War is the only option, Science is for Sissies 4 40.00%
Banana poll, all of the above 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12, 2003, 20:51   #1
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
2nd Choice of Technologies

It looks like we will soon discover Economics, and while that wasn't the first choice of the people, our King did his best with what brainpower is available to one not of the Science Field

However, this did illustrate the need for a second choice of technologies, thus the need for this poll.

Our first choice, from the last poll, is still Engineering.

Please post your 2nd choice, if Engineering is once again not available.

Should you have trouble deciding, feel free to choose any of the available techs, we are so advanced any of the available choices is fine.

/me Minister of Science for the most Advanced Nation in the World!

Note: As the choices before Invention are getting limited, please post below the choice you would like us to set as a goal. i.e. Explosives have been mentioned, as have various forms of Government, but please post whatever you think should be our next goal.
Old July 13, 2003, 01:19   #2
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
War minister votes the only way the people would want.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 13, 2003, 05:30   #3
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:36
I would say Explosives, Tactics and Fundi are now the 3 main techs to aim for.
Old July 13, 2003, 20:45   #4
Hydey
Emperor

This is just a stupid waste of time poll

Old July 13, 2003, 20:59   #5
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

This science minister wonders what the Minister of War would have me do...we have the prerequisites for two techs (Engineering and Navigation...plus Economics which we are currently researching). The people have already spoken as to having Engineering as our first choice, so the only other choice is Navigation obviously, or to 0 our science rate, and focus on war.

The actual reason for the poll, as I stated in my post, is to find out what goals people would like to set for the next technologies we should research.

Perhaps I spoke too much , and post too often , I will attempt to temper my enthusiasm and keep quiet until there is something more significant for the Science Minister to poll on . Until such time, I will stick to reading your opinions, and try not to voice my opinion (as I have stated, I have struggled with this democracy game concept, apparently I missed the point).

/me the humble
Science Minister
Old July 13, 2003, 22:05   #6
Hydey
Emperor

I'm sorry

If the king gets the only option of navigation then I'm sure he will pick the only option.

Old July 13, 2003, 23:03   #7
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

LOL, I don't want to assume anything when it comes to rulers of a nation.

I think you are right, but as our options become limited, and we have less choices of what to research, the job of science minister becomes someone needless. However, I will find something to post about

Hopefully citizens start posting what our long term goals should be (as Atawa has done) and I can do a poll of long term objectives, and what the citizens want us to aim for in our scientific research.

Sparrowhawk
Minister of Science
Old July 14, 2003, 07:03   #8
Hydey
Emperor

I would prefer we turn science off for a while as the AI will follow suit and that will give us longer to make use of our vet crucs

Old July 14, 2003, 09:07   #9
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Let's go Fundy, THEN kill science for awhile, and really make those crucs pay off!

General Hydey will bonk some alien civ heads for sure...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old July 14, 2003, 16:51   #10
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

One important technology remains forgotten.

We can churn lots of calvary, but where will we send them?

What will our armies of engineers build?

That's why we should include Railroad as an important technology, and why I would vote Navigation ahead of Economics.

We cannot build AS.
Economics allows us to build the banned freight, tempting our leader to break our rules.

Navigation, with Physics allows us to build Steam Engine, only one technology away from Railroad.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:54   #11
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Edit:

dp

Odd.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; July 14, 2003 at 17:20.
Old July 14, 2003, 17:26   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:36
/me shrugs

Let's just research what the game gives us as an option that gives us the most stuff, or pushes us towards the tech that gives us the most stuff, whatever it is.

And how do you have the advisors on in your game?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 14, 2003, 17:35   #13
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
And how do you have the advisors on in your game?
Not sure if this question is aimed at me or not, but I will answer it anyway. (since I am the one that posted the screenshot of the science advisor)

Are we not supposed to have the advisors on? I have them on in all the games I play, and while they are usually better for a laugh then anything else, I was unaware they were supposed to be "turned off".

Did I miss something?
Old July 14, 2003, 17:38   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Ah - got it! You actually have The Multiplayer Gold Edition, perhaps. I have every other version of Civ2 but that, and the patch I got turns off movies. Is that it?

Old July 14, 2003, 17:40   #15
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

That's right, I do have the MPGE. I assumed all versions have it, though I beleive they can be "turned off".

I was unaware that other versions didn't have this feature. Learn something new every day I guess!
Old July 14, 2003, 18:33   #16
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Are we not supposed to have the advisors on? I have them on in all the games I play, and while they are usually better for a laugh then anything else, I was unaware they were supposed to be "turned off".

Did I miss something?
No you didn't miss anything, you are quite welcome to use the advisors if you feel they will help in your ministerial duties.

Old July 14, 2003, 19:11   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
That's right, I do have the MPGE. I assumed all versions have it, though I beleive they can be "turned off".

I was unaware that other versions didn't have this feature. Learn something new every day I guess!

Nono. Every version has it - I just needed an unofficial patch to "upgrade" my Civ2 to MGE, as I wasn't going to spend another $50NZ just for MP that I never use after having diligently bought Civ2, Scenarios and Fantastic Worlds. It disables the movies. I really wish MGE hadn't won that poll before the first DG.

Old July 14, 2003, 19:31   #18
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:

This science minister wonders what the Minister of War would have me do...we have the prerequisites for two techs (Engineering and Navigation...plus Economics which we are currently researching). The people have already spoken as to having Engineering as our first choice, so the only other choice is Navigation obviously, or to 0 our science rate, and focus on war.

The actual reason for the poll, as I stated in my post, is to find out what goals people would like to set for the next technologies we should research.

Perhaps I spoke too much , and post too often , I will attempt to temper my enthusiasm and keep quiet until there is something more significant for the Science Minister to poll on . Until such time, I will stick to reading your opinions, and try not to voice my opinion (as I have stated, I have struggled with this democracy game concept, apparently I missed the point).

* Sparrowhawk the humble
Science Minister
don't listen to hydey, he must have been grumpy when he posted that.

Shame on you hydey
Old July 14, 2003, 19:40   #19
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

As you have most acurately pointed out, there is not much for me to be doing right now...
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
This is just a stupid waste of time poll
So rather then waste your time, I choose to waste my own by checking out the mostly useless advice of the Ministers. I might even check out the Throne room if I really get bored , we all know what an acurate representation of the Civ that is
Old July 14, 2003, 19:45   #20
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

LOL, no harm done by Hydey, our Minister of War should be rather obnoxious and at times annoying, he is just playing his role well.
Old July 14, 2003, 20:37   #21
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
LOL, no harm done by Hydey, our Minister of War should be rather obnoxious and at times annoying, he is just playing his role well.
huh playing what role?

Just been my normal self

I am obnoxious and annoying

Old July 15, 2003, 07:25   #22
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey

huh playing what role?

Just been my normal self

I am obnoxious and annoying
And so wonderfully honest, it would seem.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old July 16, 2003, 00:01   #23
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
our Minister of War should be rather obnoxious and at times annoying,
Then what about the cityplanner?

Stiff as a board?
Old July 16, 2003, 07:08   #24
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

Then what about the cityplanner?

Stiff as a board?
Perhaps "thick as a brick"?
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old July 17, 2003, 00:06   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

There's a two short planks joke in there somewhere...