Old July 12, 2003, 22:16   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What should be done to the marines and paratroopers ratings?
Marines and paratroopers have been considered useless because of the fact that the technology which makes them available is dead end, their ratings are poor, and because of the way the game works (ie paratroopers should be able to move after they are dropped by the helicopter). Should anything be done to their ratings etc. to make them more useful/balancing/realistic?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 12, 2003, 23:32   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nothing should be done, just ignore them.
Old July 12, 2003, 23:33   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
One way would be to include upgraded versions of both at higher techs, much the way infantry is upgraded.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 13, 2003, 04:20   #4
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
I changed both to 8.8.1 and increased the drop range of paratroops to 8. I do find marines useful in certain situations but have yet to find a use for paratroops.

I allow guerillas a move of 1 with all terrain as roads and have flagged tanks, MA and MI as wheeled so they can't attack mountain or jungle tiles. I am trying to get far enough through a game to use guerillas to pillage the roads/RR on mountains then drop paras (who have a ZOC unlike guerillas) to create a secure area behind enemy lines. The opportunities to do so seem limited and I certainly can't think of anything else that paratroops can do given the current limitations.
Old July 13, 2003, 09:54   #5
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
hi ,

nothing should be done , leave it as it is

have a nice day
Old July 13, 2003, 12:48   #6
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
I think they should just be regular infantry, maybe cost more.
Old July 13, 2003, 14:29   #7
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
My stats:
Marines: 10-8-1
Paras: 8-8-1 all terrain as roads

The marines are useful for taking those one-tile city islands and for taking a city on a larger continent, then unloading your troops and moving out on the same turn.

Giving paras the 'all terrain as roads' ability is unrealistic but it makes them more interesting. And yes, they need to be able to land and move/attack on the same turn.
Old July 17, 2003, 07:47   #8
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 05:36
Mod them by giving the possibilty to upgrade to Mechanised Infantry.

I do the same with Swordsman at the end of the game, so that you have a nice, but costly, reserve troups.
Old July 18, 2003, 08:02   #9
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 06:36
Apparently they have already done something to increase marine capabilities. Today Apolyton's civ3 head news mentions increased attack abilities when conducting amphibious assaults.

Right decision IMO. Now marines might really become useful.

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old July 18, 2003, 08:15   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
hi ,

one thing they should do is to make para's move after they land , ..... like in civ II

but then again , seeing aj's country flag , the belgians and some other countries have paracommandos , a mix of para's , ( who just jump out of planes , no big deal ) and commandos ( they can kick but ) , .....

when thinking of that , would it not be good o create either a special ops unit , in addition of mar and para in the game , .......

a unit that moves after landing , you can only build a few of them ( this would be a great feature ) , it would cost two gold a turn in upkeep under democracy and have these stats ; 12/12/2 , ........

have a nice day
Old July 18, 2003, 21:31   #11
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:36
Yeah a while ago I wrote a thread saying they should be able to move after they land. That one addition would make the game so much better. But there's no way to do it.

BTW Belgian Para-Commandos rock. They're better than its famed US counterpart, the Rangers.

How about this. You create a new unit called commandos which paratroopers can upgrade to?

Quote:
Apparently they have already done something to increase marine capabilities. Today Apolyton's civ3 head news mentions increased attack abilities when conducting amphibious assaults.
That's good, but what else can they do besides editing the ratings?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau