Old July 18, 2003, 08:06   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill

Dominae is right. I used to do extensive tweaking of units, but the AI was never able to use those tweaks as well as I did. Basically it just put more of a gap between us.

The better solution is a better AI...hmm Skynet anyone.
hi ,

*did someone say skynet

well actually a better AI is only possible with higher comps , this means more bytes also , imagine a game that needs 4 gb's ( could be burned on a dvd ) , but what would the comp specs be , .......

okay , agreed the regular home pc is getting bigger and bigger , and some games need at least one gig mhz and nearly one gig of ram , but still , ....

under the circumstances Soren did a good job

have a nice day
Old July 18, 2003, 09:54   #32
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Soren did produce a good AI. He deserves congratulations for it, and he has received them from many players including me (for what it's worth), but in the end it's still just an AI. When this game first came out I questioned why the minimum specs were so low, and whether the AI would have been better if they were higher. I was surprised to find out that the consensus from the programmer-types was that increasing the min spec CPU speeds from say 350Mhz to 1.5 Ghz does not make that much difference. Apparently, to improve the AI requires order of magnitude greater CPU speeds that cant be predicted when developers start to create such an AI. Since that cant practically be done, there is always a trade-off of making the best AI possible using the technology available when the project starts.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old July 18, 2003, 13:18   #33
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For what it's worth, I think the programmers did a great job too. Civ3 AI is leaps and bounds better than Civ2 AI. Civ3 has given me many hours of fun over the years and continues to do so. Well worth the money!

But I'm also spoiled by their success and want more.
Old July 19, 2003, 10:19   #34
Last Conformist
King

Local Time: 06:36
I don't think the AI uses Impi particularly poorly. It even stacks 'em with Horsemen occasionally. The real problem is the difficulties in teaching the AI to use its units optimally, not the stats of the Impi or any other units.