Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13, 2003, 02:55   #1
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
finding New York
Looking at the map I used the find city function to try and pin point New York, this American city contains both the Hanging gardens and Marco polo which would be of great benifit for us in terms of happiness and information

It indicated that it was some 4 or 5 squares east of our Chariot (see map) .

I recomend sending our chariot over to confirm this and then suggest we commence building a force large enough to capture and hold this valuable city.

This force will need to be large enough to possibley fight its way through to New York and then capture it.

Suggest a mixture of vet Crusaders, vet knights and a diplo or 2 ,

Its probably closer to the roman cities than to our main cities so we could just keep pushing west after destroying romans.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	where is new york.gif
Views:	54
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	49694  

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 13, 2003, 05:33   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:36
I would prefer us destroying wonder city's instead of taking them, gives us a bit of a challenge

My only conceirn is that Americans might get to gunpowder before our army's get there, making them obsolite in the meantime
Old July 13, 2003, 12:30   #3
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Once again I must question the enthusiasm of our Minister of War.

While I too would like to attack the Americans, the sheer size of the map we are talking about makes even considering this type of attack redundant. I do not beleive (as Atawa stated) that our units will have any effect by the time they cross the distance between our cities and the American city of New York (regardless of whether they take the western or eastern route. While the portion of the map we have uncovered is huge, there is still a huge portion which we have not yet uncovered. To illustrate, I have attached two images...one of our eastern cities and the distance to the American cities we have uncovered, and another of the great unknown, the area between the Romans and the aforementioned chariot that we wish to use to discover New York.

Surely it would be wiser to advance our science, and build units that are actually going to be effective against the Americans then waste time and resources on units that may well be obsolete by the time they cover this vast distance (further note is the Science Ministers report, showing that our recently discovered "Chivalry" is not a white tech...perhaps the Americans have that in advance of us and continue to develop offensive techs)?

I say nay, and look forward to the arrival of your Amazon Warriors if they wish to convince me.

/me Minister of Science

The Lands we have discovered so far (note Chariot in question in the east near American cities, and our cities in the West):

And the lands unknown, note the Roman cities in the East, and the Chariot in question to the West.

I apologize for the scale of the map, but it was necessary to fit it on one screen, this map is that HUGE.
Old July 13, 2003, 16:28   #4
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I think we should concentrate on the Romans and Greeks for now. Let's get rid of them first and have a battle royale with the powerful Americans later.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old July 13, 2003, 16:32   #5
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Well said.
Hopefully this common sense approach will be spoken by all.

/me Science Minister
Old July 13, 2003, 20:48   #6
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
poorly said.
Hopefully this lack of common sense approach will be discarded by all.

* Sparrowhawk Science Minister

Old July 13, 2003, 21:03   #7
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

LOL, I beleive I have been misquoted!

The desire for war by our Minister should be applauded, as that is the job of the Ministry, as it is the job of the rest of us to temper this desire with reason. I beleive that attacking the Americans at this time is neither possible nor advisable, if the citizens think otherwise, I respect their decision. I apparently agree with former King/President Cavebear, and look forward to other opinions.
Old July 13, 2003, 22:01   #8
Hydey
Emperor

I'm sorry you misunderstood "commence building a force" to mean attack now

If you feel it is foolish to begin prepperation for future wars and we should wait and try to attack without such preperation , then so be it.

I still recomend we should begin to prepare an attack force which whenjoined with the forces attacking the romans will be able to push further west to the americans

Old July 13, 2003, 23:06   #9
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

And while I still doubt we will get to the Americans in enough time for those units to be of much use...on the way I am sure we will find other cities worthy of our forces, and we can assimilate them into our empire, or destroy them! Either way, a win win for the Apolytonian Imperium.

Sparrowhawk
Old July 14, 2003, 09:15   #10
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

If we're going to build a strike force, they had best be vets.

I strongly support chariot exploration to pinpoint NY. We need to know its size and whether it has walls before moving on it.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old July 14, 2003, 17:23   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:36
But of course.... what else is that Chariot to do? But as much as normally I just support Hydey in blowing the shiznit out of all our enemies, what good will declaring war on the Americans do right now? We haven't the manpower to reach them yet. Sure, build up a force or 10 (we should do that by default, though), and we'll figure out later when we can attack them.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 14, 2003, 18:28   #12
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
.... what else is that Chariot to do?
Intelligent people such as your good self find it obvious for the chariot to move this way but the king likes to know the people all agree, even those not so clever people

Old July 16, 2003, 00:07   #13
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Tom, get your plane right on time...
I know you've been waiting to fly now.