Old July 13, 2003, 15:15   #1
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AI shows signs of intelligence
Perhaps the AI finally deserves its moniker. This is the first time I've seen it do something genuinely intelligent - sending an armoured transport of good attack rovers to my headquarters, attacking despite poor individual odds, throwing away two rovers in order to weaken my defenders before taking the base.

Needless to say, I took it back again almost immediately, but I've never seen the AI attack such a tough target before. Normally it won't attack if the odds aren't in its favour, unless it is on the defence and its hand is forced. This was quite something.
Old July 13, 2003, 20:02   #2
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Post the turn, so that others can see!
I've seen the AI do strange things in the past, but like you said, the AI usually shies away from tough targets.
Perhaps this is an anomoly, or perhaps its something generated because of Social Settings.
As an aside, recently I introduced aircraft carriers to the AI, however only once did they use them to base aircraft off of. FYI.

D

-=Vel=-
Old July 14, 2003, 07:20   #3
Clear Skies
Prince

I would post the turn, but unfortunately I didn't save that go and it's back too far to be buried in the list of autosaves. Apologies. But the AI has been unusually intelligent this game, diplomatically as well as militarily. Maybe it's the smaller map - it's the first time I've played on Tiny.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old July 14, 2003, 16:36   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
It's alive!
Old July 18, 2003, 10:01   #5
AMD4EVER
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Probably the most intellegent act I've ever seen the AI perform was during a game I was playing the a real world map. I was the Spartans and controlled all of Europe. The Morgans had all of North America and had declared a war on the University which was in Russia. The Morgans took a couple bases directly across from Alaska into Russian territory and were quickly beginning to expand. The University asked for my help to push back the Morganites so I volenteered.

I set all my bases to produce rovers and eventually I began to overwhelm the 2 Morgan bases in Russia. On attacking the last base I seen they had at least 15 or more units stock piled there but the fall was still inevitable since I had probably 30 or more units ready to jump on it. To my amazement the Morganites sent over at least 6 transports from Alaska to pick up all the troops that were in the soon to be captured base and brought them down the coast of Russia and landed them in a completely unprotected area. It took me another 20 years to completely eliminate the Morgans off the coast of Russia after that instead of the 1 turn it should have taken. That was simply a stroke of genius.

Even more impressive after that little war ended, the Morganites had a treaty with the University and began sending units into Russian territory to destroy the road that linked Europe to the far Northeast parts of Russia. They launched an attack there again and that eventually lead to their conquest of all of Russia, China (Yang), and eventually the entire world.
Old July 18, 2003, 10:49   #6
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wow! It IS impressive!

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 20, 2003, 00:31   #7
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Nowhere near as impressive, not as extensive, but almost as sneaky:
I had a neighbor (at Truce) send a Former to my HQ, carving a road all the way, with a single Probe Team bicycling along behind it. It was funny to watch, so I didn't do anything. That was until the Probe Team murdered my top scientist and went skipping merrily home. The Former got to demolish only one section of road before it became the first of many units to pay for that treachery!

Last edited by gwillybj; July 20, 2003 at 00:36.
Old July 20, 2003, 18:58   #8
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
To my amazement the Morganites sent over at least 6 transports from Alaska to pick up all the troops that were in the soon to be captured base and brought them down the coast of Russia and landed them in a completely unprotected area.
almost sounds like Dunkirk
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old July 21, 2003, 10:12   #9
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj
Nowhere near as impressive, not as extensive, but almost as sneaky:
I had a neighbor (at Truce) send a Former to my HQ, carving a road all the way, with a single Probe Team bicycling along behind it. It was funny to watch, so I didn't do anything. That was until the Probe Team murdered my top scientist and went skipping merrily home. The Former got to demolish only one section of road before it became the first of many units to pay for that treachery!
And you didn't prepare a defense prob team of yourself?

Grapefruit Garden