Old July 14, 2003, 00:00   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great SciFi ideas, that will never be.
Right now I am reading Kiln People, the latest workd by David Brin. Now, one of the htings I like about Brin is that he comes up with some very far fetched ideas, but then builds very interesting worlds arpund them that work.

For example, the basc concept of this book is that scientists found a way to measure and record the soul (they call it the Standing Wave), and also found the ability for people to transfer a copy into humanoid molds. IN essence, people could make copies of themselves and use an army of "other thems" to do any chores they in person did not want to do, or do tasks that would be dangerous, or indulge in depravities that real flesh would not survive, and at the end of the day they could upload the new memories (the copies have very limited life spans of 24 hours, and are made of a sort of energized clay, also colored to make it easy to distinguish the "real" one from the "copies") The books also covers lifestaly changes and economic changes brought about by this new tech,a s well as deal with the question of indentity, and interesting storytelling techniques (the book has multiple "characters", who happen to be the "same" guy).

So, what other stories, and or authoers, have created similarly new distinct ideas and created wrlds aorund them?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 14, 2003, 00:25   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Brin

I liked his novel, Earth, where there was a blackhole towards the center of the earth, from the meteor that struck Siberia in the early 1900s (?)

a black hole in the Earth that doesn't destroy it? And can be harnessed for good, or ? Pretty farfetched. but I liked the book.
Old July 14, 2003, 00:39   #3
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
Moo 3
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 14, 2003, 00:41   #4
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Moo 3

What does everyone read boring Star trek or star wars novels or something!
Old July 14, 2003, 00:43   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Jurassic Park. I loved the book.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 14, 2003, 06:11   #6
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
For example, the basc concept of this book is that scientists found a way to measure and record the soul (they call it the Standing Wave), and also found the ability for people to transfer a copy into humanoid molds.
There was a very similar concept in a book I read couple weeks ago. It's odd, but I dont remember it's name.
Old July 14, 2003, 09:29   #7
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 06:39
well - final fantasy goes along the same line, so the idea is not that far fetched as you say
Old July 14, 2003, 09:37   #8
problem_child
Warlord

Local Time: 05:39
Adam Roberts's book 'ON', absolutely fantastic concept, blew my mind, completely showed me a way of seeing the laws of physics in a way I'd never begun to imagine before, and a very basic and realistic concept at that. Mind-altering.

I can't tell you why though as that would spoil the story if you ever read the book.

-I.
Old July 14, 2003, 09:59   #9
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I read Kiln People a while back. I really liked the first 90% of the book. The last 10% was a bit much. (with the exception of the one clay vs. the missle launcher)

But overall, a very entertaining book with a great premise. I wish I had a clay doing my job today so I could be golfing.
Old July 14, 2003, 10:32   #10
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Have you ever read The Truth Machine? I can't remember who wrote it but it was a pretty good story about a man who creates a machine that is 99.9% accurate at determining truth in conversation and the social ramifications it brings. Pretty interesting, the twists involved in creating and marketing the device.
Old July 14, 2003, 11:36   #11
Q Classic
Emperor

I liked Red Mars.

I don't think there's enough political will for that to happen in the next two to three hundred years.
Old July 14, 2003, 11:44   #12
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
I liked Red Mars.

I don't think there's enough political will for that to happen in the next two to three hundred years.
/me cries.
Old July 14, 2003, 11:48   #13
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Card's The Worthing Saga. Similar to the idea of the Standing Wave, except that people weren't able to create new bodies. Instead, people developed a drug called Somec that would basically put someone into a state of suspended animation, but would wipe their memories clean in the process, so people would have their memories extracted and be injected with Somec before going on a long interstellar voyage, and would get their memories back when they arrived at their destination. (The "soul" was proved to exist through experiments in which somebody else's memories were put into a person -- almost invariably, the recipient would go insane.) Somec was eventually used in a strange social heirarchy in which the best managers/scientists/etc. would skip across time -- they would live for, say, a year, and then go under Somec for four years, and then live another year, etc., so they would "sort-of" live for hundreds of years. It was a great honor to be allowed to use Somec, and so the most capable people had the least direct impact upon the world. It also enforced separation between the different classes in society, since the elite would "sort-of" live so much longer than the proles.
Old July 14, 2003, 11:52   #14
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
Card's The Worthing Saga. Similar to the idea of the Standing Wave, except that people weren't able to create new bodies. Instead, people developed a drug called Somec that would basically put someone into a state of suspended animation, but would wipe their memories clean in the process, so people would have their memories extracted and be injected with Somec before going on a long interstellar voyage, and would get their memories back when they arrived at their destination. (The "soul" was proved to exist through experiments in which somebody else's memories were put into a person -- almost invariably, the recipient would go insane.) Somec was eventually used in a strange social heirarchy in which the best managers/scientists/etc. would skip across time -- they would live for, say, a year, and then go under Somec for four years, and then live another year, etc., so they would "sort-of" live for hundreds of years. It was a great honor to be allowed to use Somec, and so the most capable people had the least direct impact upon the world. It also enforced separation between the different classes in society, since the elite would "sort-of" live so much longer than the proles.
I thought the book(more like a collection of short stories) was named Capitol?
(this is the one I was talking about earlier)
Old July 14, 2003, 14:26   #15
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Worthing Saga includes some disconnected short stories about Capitol at the end, but the main story is about 250-300 pages in length (IIRC) and takes place thousands of years after Abner Doon destroys the Empire. It's primarily told as a series of dreams experienced by one of the main characters, though, so it sort of reads a bit like a collection of short stories.
Old July 14, 2003, 14:35   #16
Sandman
King

Local Time: 06:39
Asimov's three laws of robotics immediately spring to mind.
Old July 14, 2003, 14:51   #17
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
The Worthing Saga includes some disconnected short stories about Capitol at the end, but the main story is about 250-300 pages in length (IIRC) and takes place thousands of years after Abner Doon destroys the Empire. It's primarily told as a series of dreams experienced by one of the main characters, though, so it sort of reads a bit like a collection of short stories.

I didnt know Card wrote something about the period after the fall of the empire.

My "to read" list expands yet again.
Old July 14, 2003, 14:53   #18
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Don't worry, I haven't spoiled anything -- you figure out that the Empire has been destroyed within the first coupla pages. I highly recommend the book -- it's one of my favorites.
Old July 14, 2003, 15:16   #19
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I read Kiln People a while back. I really liked the first 90% of the book. The last 10% was a bit much. (with the exception of the one clay vs. the missle launcher)

But overall, a very entertaining book with a great premise. I wish I had a clay doing my job today so I could be golfing.
So would you need an orange, a green, a gray, an ebony, or an ivory ?
Old July 14, 2003, 15:26   #20
Neutrino
Settler

I like Brin's books, especially the Earthclan trilogies. Stephen Baxter also writes good books..very 'hard' scifi material.
Old July 14, 2003, 15:28   #21
Q Classic
Emperor

i liked brin's uplift series too. i also doubt that world will exist, mainly because either a) science will stagnate as religion overpowers it (i like 'em both, but they both have their proper place. neither one can be--or should be--a replacement for the other), b) we'll kill off the species described (dolphins are rather tasty...in my tuna salad), or c) we'll kill ourselves before then.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:06   #22
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
So would you need an orange, a green, a gray, an ebony, or an ivory ?
Ebony or Ivory, of course.
But I would have a green for posting here.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:17   #23
MattH
King

The Heechee(sp?) saga... with putting your brain into a comp when you die...
Old July 14, 2003, 16:24   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Well, perhaps an obvious one is psychohistory by Asimov.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)