Old July 27, 2003, 04:26   #31
Per
Freeciv Developer

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Impressive. Are you adding skeletons to these models?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2003, 05:07   #32
skyscuffler
Settler

Local Time: 05:39
Yes, of course. Thats the way the animations are made. I first make a mesh model in a sort of base position (see the "Leonardo"-style image below) that is easy to edit and then i add a skeleton, which transforms the mesh dynamically. Well, of course i have some base meshes and skeletons for the humans and horses so i don't have to make everything again and again . The skeleton has so called "actions", which describe the characters movement and can be switched easily.
This is the dragoon unit:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	demo.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	50454  
skyscuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2003, 15:02   #33
skyscuffler
Settler

The Catapult, an easy but nice model:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	catapult.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	50477  
Old July 27, 2003, 17:00   #34
skyscuffler
Settler

I've modified the units.png file from the SDL client for testing purposes. First thing i realized was that the images need some postprocessing (which i didn't do yet), especially more contrast and border outlining.
Apart from that i think that a new tileset size would be good. At the moment we have standard tiles with a width of 64 pixels which leads to very small tiles at modern screen resolutions of 1024x768 and more. If you have a look at the civ3 graphics you will see that the tiles are relatively big compared to the units, which allows for example more beautiful proportions between land units and ships. In the meantime there is so much graphical detail combined on one tile (base tile, specials, irrigation, units ...) that it's often hard to get all the info that should be clearly visible at the first sight.

I suppose we introduce a new tileset size of perhaps 96 pixels in width (that's the size civ3 uses too). Whoever will do that ...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	units.png
Views:	445
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	50483  
Old July 28, 2003, 00:20   #35
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Very cool.
What are the units on the bottom row? I recognize most of the others, but those are unfamiliar.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
geeslaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2003, 07:47   #36
Per
Freeciv Developer

The units on the bottom row are not used.

skyscuffler: The units in the units.png look bad compared to the same units in the other screenshots. Palette problems, perhaps?

While larger tile size will allow nicer graphics, it means less viewable tiles. Almost all veteran players favour more viewable tiles over good graphics, since it gives a tactical advantage.

I guess the best would be to have an OpenGL renderer in the client, which could scale everything to whatever size the player desires.
Old July 28, 2003, 16:12   #37
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Yes, but Freeciv has a fixed tileset. You can't zoom out for a better overview unlike the multiple zoom levels in Civ2 (yes graphics got clipped/degraded/reduced to dots on higher zoom levels but it worked fine for getting a general overview).

I know there have been some attempts at introducing a zoom function in Freeciv (Teamciv used it). Wouldn't this work better if you had a high resolution tileset to start with? Or perhaps use multiple tilesets with different tilesizes (16,32,64,128x128)?
CapTVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2003, 04:31   #38
skyscuffler
Settler

Quote:
The units in the units.png look bad compared to the same units in the other screenshots. Palette problems, perhaps?
As i said, they need some postprocessing. I have to try out different ways of rendering, scaling, etc. to get them look good.

I finished the legion and the paratrooper. Can't wait to see these in action !
Attached Thumbnails:

Views:	390
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	50717  
Old July 31, 2003, 11:43   #39
CapTVK
King

That paratrooper looks great!
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old August 4, 2003, 15:44   #40
Per
Freeciv Developer

Yep, this looks absolutely fabulous. I am thinking of adding a frontpage story about this on www.freeciv.org. Got some more screenshots? Everybody love screenshots :-)
Old August 11, 2003, 09:53   #41
skyscuffler
Settler

Great Idea !

Should i upload those screens to the ftp server ? Do you mean in-game screen shots and/or some with the Blender stuff ? I think making some animated GIFs for demonstrating animation would be good, since you can't see this in a screeshot . I'm experimenting with rendering- and posprocessing parameters to make them look better.
Old August 11, 2003, 15:33   #42
Per
Freeciv Developer

Uh, I don't know. Anything that looks good. You could upload it to ftp://upload.freeciv.org/ and post URLs to it here. Perhaps also a tarball of the most recent blender files, for other blender users.
Old August 13, 2003, 06:02   #43
telex4
Chieftain

These look great! Any chance of getting animated units in a future release?
telex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2003, 10:27   #44
Per
Freeciv Developer

Yes, we're talking about adding support for animations.
Old August 14, 2003, 02:38   #45
skyscuffler
Settler

I've just uploaded some demo stuff to ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/blender_demo.tar.bz2 .I hope that's what you need for the web page. The content of the files should be clear by their names, otherwise ask me .
Old August 19, 2003, 16:42   #46
Per
Freeciv Developer

You all should go check out the newest front page news item on www.freeciv.org :-)
Old August 19, 2003, 17:27   #47
CapTVK
King

I already have...

Now i've finally seen those units in action. Just how long have you been working with Blender to create this sort of stuff?
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Old August 23, 2003, 04:08   #48
skyscuffler
Settler

Well, i don't know exactly, but i think the actual work on the units is going for about 2 or 3 months or so now. I've had some experience with Blender before, so making such a model doesn't take very long any more - a few hours or so, depending on it's complexity. (BTW, i removed some skeleton bones in the very complex models, because having to handle too much bones is a bigger disadvantage than taking care of correct movement manually.) I really don't know when i used Blender the first time, perhaps one or two years ago, anyway i'm not a professional for 3D graphics, but i think many of the freeciv developers do this in their free time.
And here's the next two meshes, the cruiser and the tank (armor):
Attached Thumbnails:

Views:	258
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	51843  
Old August 30, 2003, 22:57   #49
tonic
King

Mmm...the freeciv site has joined the European patents protest today!
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2003, 13:19   #50
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
Good. I agree with them fully.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
geeslaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2003, 04:09   #51
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 17:39
Frozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2003, 06:49   #52
CapTVK
King

Ditto

Maybe we should do something like this over at Apolyton. The same sort of patent problems would apply to Clash, C-evo etc.. as well.

Old September 2, 2003, 20:03   #53
paulz
Freeciv Webmaster

Local Time: 21:39
Blender
I tried creating some new units in blender, but I'm way over my head. I think I'll wait until there are some more units in blender format and play with those.

This really give me an appreciation for the amount of work you've gone to to complete all the ones you've done.

Good job, keep it coming. At the least we'll have a more realistic looking tileset, and hopefully we'll get some animation in as well.

There are more coders than artists, so if you create the animations I'm sure someone will step up and code it into a client.
paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2003, 04:17   #54
Frozzy
Emperor

So, skyscuffler, any more wonderful creations?
Old September 6, 2003, 07:34   #55
skyscuffler
Settler

I'm currently waiting for a programmer to write a patch for unit animation, so that i can see if that stuff i've made until now is working. I've uploaded a test png file for that.

Meanwhile i'm also working on an OpenGL client, that will use real 3D graphics. If you have some good ideas about what could be implemented in such a client, please tell me ! These are some of the features i've already thought of:
- basic zoomable map view similar to isometric view, but slightly perspective and with smooth camera movement
- zoom function(s) for detailed tile info (e.g. city info screen, unit stack, terrain info)
- highly configurable 3D options for running the client on slow machines without 3D hardware acceleration (textures, geometry detail, ...)
- "classical" camera settings for orthographic overhead and isometric views
- of course: animated 3D units and symbols
- maybe a particle system for explosions, nuclear weapons, turmoil signs, ...

Well, i admit, none of the things mentioned above is implemented yet, but i'm quite confident that there will be some working code in perhaps a few weeks. I'm currently working on a good GUI system.
Oh, and i think i'll also do some further unit today .
Old September 6, 2003, 09:43   #56
skyscuffler
Settler

so that's it: the worker i had already done, and the diplomat. (that little fatty looks somehow like a well known german politician i didn't really like, but who gives a very good model for this one )
Attached Thumbnails:

Views:	191
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	52702  
Old September 6, 2003, 16:45   #57
Frozzy
Emperor

I just the diplomat... looks absolutely wonderful!!!
Old September 7, 2003, 05:33   #58
Pave
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCall To Power SuperLeague
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
Wonderful diplomat, really...
Old September 7, 2003, 08:14   #59
telex4
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by skyscuffler
Meanwhile i'm also working on an OpenGL client, that will use real 3D graphics. If you have some good ideas about what could be implemented in such a client, please tell me !
How will you implement the rest of the UI? I'd suggest that you could use GTK2 client and have the map area drawn with OpenGL, so you needn't reinvent the wheel on a lot of the UI that wouldn't really benefit from a GL rewrite. I've been using, testing and bugreporting on the SDL client a bit recently and aside from being a very cool new client, it definitely suffers from having to implement a huge number of features and shortcuts that are in the original Gtk1 client.

If you're going to allow the camera to zoom quite far in, it might also be fun to animate tiles. For example, have farmers working on irrigated land and farmland where cities are "using" them, have sheep and cattle wandering around agricultural specials, etc.

Oh, and one feature that would be very nifty would be replay, so you could record a game, and then fast forward through the gameplay again to watch empires expand, battles take place, etc.
telex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2003, 20:11   #60
Mithrandir
Chieftain

One problem with using the Gtk 2 base is that OpenGL isn't really designed tobe integrated like that. I know there are widgets for it, but I'm not sure if they work, and they must be downloaded separately.
I've been trying, on and off for a time, to create an opengl client using SDL(mostly off for the past few weeks). Of course, the problem with that is that the method's used to blit all the elements to the screen are deprecated and not recommended, as they're hacks that really slow it down. I've got it displaying terrain, but I displaying the gui has been a lot of work, and getting the keyboard bindings, mouse movement, and unit/city picking to work might be very hard. I'm not even sure how to do a city view. How would one load models?
I note that I'mnot attempting to dissuade anyone else from working on this, as I doubt that I'll ever actually finish.
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote