Old July 14, 2003, 11:14   #1
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 22:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
RPG Games.
Well the apolyton d&d has got me interested in rpg. So much so that i'm thinking of buying a game.

I'm leaning in the direction of neverwinter nights. Any suggestions? I assume I should get the expansion pack.

Also if i get it is there any apolytoners who would want to play mp games?
Old July 14, 2003, 11:22   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: RPG Games.
Quote:
Originally posted by Makeo
Any suggestions?
Arcanum
Old July 14, 2003, 14:32   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 00:40
where is this apolyton d&d that I keep hearing about?
Old July 14, 2003, 14:38   #4
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 05:40
Quote:
I've seen a few threads in OT. Looks like they're building a game but it may be locked.

I'd recommend Morrowind with Tribunal expansion.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:26   #5
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 06:40
I'm no expert but I found Morrowind fun and easy to get into, I don't like 'party' based RPG's,(on PC's that is), if these are your thing look somewhere else.
Old July 14, 2003, 18:01   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Morrowind
Old July 14, 2003, 18:14   #7
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Having played both NWN and Elder Scrolls III, I'd have to say both are good games. My overall nod goes to NWN. If you think you'll be playing online, don't even think of anything but NWN. But ES3 is a very good game too.
Old July 14, 2003, 21:33   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
If you think you'll be playing online, don't even think of anything but NWN.
For online play I'd agree....But I hate online play.

Subscription costs are the thing I hate most. Ugh. Then lag, and 133t players, etc etc....

I prefer a single player adventure And when it comes to that, if you want open ended, go with Morrowind. I hear NWN is not very good in single player.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:11   #9
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Depends what type of RPG you like. Morrowind is definately good, and NWN kicks ass also, but make good use of the mods and whatnot. For both/either game(s).

Arcanum rules as well.

If you like the console style of RPG, Anachronox is also a really well-made game. Gotta patch it, though, because the bugs are hellish at first.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:18   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

For online play I'd agree....But I hate online play.

Subscription costs are the thing I hate most. Ugh. Then lag, and 133t players, etc etc....

I prefer a single player adventure And when it comes to that, if you want open ended, go with Morrowind. I hear NWN is not very good in single player.
I'm pretty much in agreement with everything Tass said. What the? I'm agreeing with Tass?
Old July 15, 2003, 01:29   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

though I should mention NWN is free online.

And there isn't too much trouble with lag at all. Much better than civ3

The only difficult part is finding good games. Sometimes you get in games with powergamers that don't want to roleplay at all. There are sites like neverwinterconnections.com which will help you hook up with serious role players.
Old July 15, 2003, 02:03   #12
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
though I should mention NWN is free online.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? A GAME WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION FEE?

Old July 15, 2003, 06:14   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

NWN allows anyone with a server to host one or more modules so it couldn't possibly charge a fee. The whole point of NWN was to bring multiplayer PnP D&D kicking and screaming into the internet age.
Old July 15, 2003, 08:21   #14
Araanor
Chieftain

Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment.

Greyhawk: Temple of Elemental Evil is out in a couple months...
Old July 15, 2003, 08:25   #15
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:40
Get Wizardry 6-8 if you can. Bane of Cosmic Forge is a bit old and runs under DOS, but it gets the story going. All three are very huge games and they are all old school.
Old July 17, 2003, 03:20   #16
Araanor
Chieftain

Lionheart just went gold! It might be good.
Old July 17, 2003, 03:37   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:40
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
There is also one in the Stories/Diplomacy forum being DMed by SnowFire, just in case you were interested in lurking that one.

Also, there are some old RPGish games that I am currently playing called Exile. Very good games, highly recommended. Oldschool graphics, but great gameplay.
Old July 17, 2003, 07:18   #18
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 07:40
tassadar still lives in the stone age way back when everybody had a 28k connection that lagged like a *****...

also, most online games don't need a subscription fee... It's only the mmorpgs that require one, which is pretty logical to me because maintaining huge servers with thousands of people on them will cost them a few bucks, and all the people they hire to keep the story going on etc..... naturally those subscription fees will generate a nice cash flow too

l33t players ("I 0wn you n00bs!!") is more a phenomenon you will encounter in FPS games... Especially in mmorpgs gamers will be quite well behaving because you need to pay to play it, so that rules out the annoying kiddies
Old July 17, 2003, 08:09   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Lol the standing rule in MMOGs is that only 1/10 of the people are aholes but if you go anywhere near interesting content you'll bump into at least one of them 9/10 of the time.
Old July 17, 2003, 09:30   #20
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

i haven't had any experience with rpg's but so far (with morrowind) its seems to me that there isn't much actual roleplaying involved in computer rpgs. Does this seem right? Just wander round collect the information of where to go next what to do next etc. i would imagin that with non computer rpg's that some thought needs to go into who your character is and what their motivations are etc.

Last edited by Makeo; July 17, 2003 at 10:30.
Old July 17, 2003, 10:16   #21
MattH
King

TheD&D threads are still open. There are 3/4, 1 coordination, char creation, voting for DM's, etc... Check it out in the OT
Old July 18, 2003, 02:48   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
i haven't had any experience with rpg's but so far (with morrowind) its seems to me that there isn't much actual roleplaying involved in computer rpgs. Does this seem right? Just wander round collect the information of where to go next what to do next etc. i would imagin that with non computer rpg's that some thought needs to go into who your character is and what their motivations are etc.
You can roleplay in Neverwinter Nights- multiplayer of course. You have to type in all the stuff you want to say of course. I've played many games where we don't talk out of character. Also there are mods that have emote wands and such that make roleplaying a little easier.

but for single player there is little real roleplaying. It's mainly about building up your character and solving quest. Though on good feature is the ability to script alignment changes based on your actions.
Old July 18, 2003, 06:42   #23
Araanor
Chieftain

Quote:
Play Fallout.
Old July 18, 2003, 07:37   #24
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Well any computer RPG is going to be limited compared to any real Human-human rpg(pen+paper or over the internet). Still there have be a few decent ones.

1.Balders Gate series(any or all of)
2.Morrowind(+expansions)
3.Fallout(1+2)
4.Planetscape tournment.

The best thing is that most of these are now buget titles
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old July 18, 2003, 19:34   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Well I have NWN now and will try it out this weekend. It sounds like it may be just what I was looking for.
Old July 19, 2003, 03:46   #26
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

neverwinter nights turned a lot of people off at first.

Because it almost seems like they made it more diablo-like. And it is true the combat is more action orientated like diablo, and less strategy orientated like Baldur's Gate.

But a well designed module can offer some decent roleplay. So it bothers me people think the game was a poor attempt to be like Diablo2.

There might even be modules out there with no combat . Although that might be a little boring for me, but some people like that stuff.
Old July 19, 2003, 05:40   #27
Araanor
Chieftain

Everything I've heard about nwn from people who's opinions I respect on RPGs is very negative.
Old July 19, 2003, 11:07   #28
Space05us
King

Local Time: 17:40
Wizardy 8, its different from all other rpgs you will ever play.
Old July 21, 2003, 13:34   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

What I have noticed from looking over the documentation is that NWN only has a few base races, no subraces like Icewind Dale II, and it doesn't mention Experience or Character Levels anywhere. Are they no character levels in NWN?
Old July 21, 2003, 14:37   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

There are 20 character levels.

And no, no subraces. In the expansion there are prestige classes, but no subraces still.

Once you reach level 20 you have a problem. Anything beyond that is considered god like. I think they do intend on allowing chars past level 20 in a future expansion.

One problem may be levelling too fast. But that is also due to the fast nature of combat. A good module would lower monster experience and give more for doing quests. But once you reach level 20, there isn't a whole lot else to do. But the game was never designed to be a Diablo like game. And I think people try to play it like Diablo- and that's where the problem comes in.