Old July 14, 2003, 11:29   #1
Mad Dog
Settler

Local Time: 05:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Declaring vendetta when they won't pick up the phone?
Folks,

OK, so this is bugging me. It's been a while since I played, and I thought I remembered that a right-click on a leader from the [COMMLINKS] tab would enable me to declare vendetta (after all, I can demand the withdrawal of their troops that way - even during sunspot activity). But darned if I can find the combination now I do like to declare war before beating up on someone...
Are my braincells playing tricks or is this really not possible in SMAC? I've waded through every FAQ I could find without success...

Thanks for any pointers,
Mad Dog

P.S. incidentally, what happened to Firaxis' site www.alphacentauri.com, gets a DNS error now - did they stop paying the bills?
Old July 14, 2003, 11:37   #2
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Declaring vendetta when they won't pick up the phone?
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog

P.S. incidentally, what happened to Firaxis' site www.alphacentauri.com, gets a DNS error now - did they stop paying the bills?
Did you try this one?

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 14, 2003, 15:44   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 22:40
I haven't played in ages, but if you keep hitting the 'demand withdrawl' button it seems to anger the AI into declaring war on you.
Old July 14, 2003, 19:43   #4
Sikander
King

Local Time: 22:40
Wow, I can't remember the last time I had to declare vendetta against the AI, they always beat me to it by 50 years at least.
Old July 14, 2003, 22:37   #5
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 00:40
To answer the question, no you cannot declare vendetta 'diplomatically' unless you do so at the request of another AI faction. There is not and never has been any right click menu option in the commlinks that permits you to do so. The nearest thing to it is, as has been said, demanding withdrawal. The problem with that is that if the AI is too afraid of you (and doesn't hate you on general principles) they will very kindly remind you that they do not have any units in your territory "As you are surely aware..." or else they will wthdraw while apologizing.
Old July 15, 2003, 10:57   #6
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Local Time: 06:40
Sometimes, however -- and I have no idea what the pattern is on this -- demanding withdrawal, then attempting to contact, then demanding withdrawal AGAIN will change an AI's message from "As you are surely aware..." to a declaration of war. If you're desperate to start a war, this is one way.

Also, I noted to my great surprise recently that stealing tech from a faction caused them to declare vendetta, yet did not affect my diplomacy rating (I am QUITE the stickler for keeping a Noble rating, no matter what a rat I really am :0)). You might try that.

USC
Old July 18, 2003, 10:11   #7
AMD4EVER
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:40
Once in this type of situation it was just me and the Believers left as the two superpowers with three other factions that were unimportant. The Believers refused to declare war on me so I could defeat them. It was getting very annoying so I simply took a planet buster and detonated it on an isle of the deep away from all bases. Everyone declared war on me and I defeated them all. Quite an extreme way to get war declared but it was necessary at the time
Old July 20, 2003, 18:52   #8
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:40
Why didn't you just PB their cities ? gets the war off to a speedy start
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.