Old July 14, 2003, 15:42   #1
Ismelstar
Settler

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"Pre-building" Wonder production
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
In order to avoid this (it happened a lot to me when I first started playing Civ2), you have to start building something expensive before you have the tech needed to build the Wonder. You can use the Palace for this intent. Pick up one of your most productive cities, order it to build a Palace and then wait for the Wonder to come. Check the city regularly to make sure it doesn't build the Palace before you discover the Wonder tech and when the tech is discovered, bam!, change the production in that city to the Wonder and you'll have a significant advantage over your enemies.
Has anyone had the problem of NOT being able to change production to a wonder when "prebuildng" to gain aome extra shirlds before you have the tech t build a wonder?

I had my capital start building a colleseum for a few turns while I reasearch Astronomy for Cop's Observetory. But 4 turn later, when I got the research the Observitory was grey-out. I couldn't select it to change my production. Does anyone know what the deal is?
Old July 14, 2003, 15:59   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:40
This is due to having tainted shields in that city. If you rushed anything, you can not switch to a wonder.
This could be chopping forest to add shileds to the prebuild or disbanding or any other rushing technique.
No such tainted shields can be used in the prebuild.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:04   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:40
I forgot to add that you can only have one city building a given wonder at any one time, unlike civII.
Check to see that some city did not finish its build and switch to the wonder.
Old July 15, 2003, 12:13   #4
kmill25
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:40
The closest you can come to prebuilding wonders is to start building one wonder and switch to another as the wonder becomes available. The other option is to start building the Forbidden Palace or similar small wonder and switch to a great wonder.
Old July 21, 2003, 07:18   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would have to agree with vmxa1's comments. One of those situations should be the cause of your problem.
Old July 21, 2003, 09:51   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Re: "Pre-building" Wonder production
Quote:
Originally posted by Ismelstar

Has anyone had the problem of NOT being able to change production to a wonder when "prebuildng" to gain aome extra shirlds before you have the tech t build a wonder?

I had my capital start building a colleseum for a few turns while I reasearch Astronomy for Cop's Observetory. But 4 turn later, when I got the research the Observitory was grey-out. I couldn't select it to change my production. Does anyone know what the deal is?
hi ,

can you attach a save

this way we can know for sure what the problem is , .....

have a nice day