Old July 14, 2003, 17:18   #1
Stereophobia
Settler

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
About Luxuries
Ok after playing the game to death when it first came out I've re-started playing once again. This time however I wanted to screw arround with how the world arround me works, one thing I really wanted to change was the ammount of luxuries on the map. Ive made an Uber world (biggest size possible) and I barely ever see any luxuries. What values should I edit to see them more often and what is a good setting to give them?

Thanks in advance
Old July 14, 2003, 17:21   #2
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have not messed with this before, but go into the editor and on the Natual Resources tab, there is an Apperance Ratio value. I would say up that to increase the number of occurances.

More info than that is probably available with a search in the Creation forum.
"Slander, lies, character assassination--these things are a threat to every single citizen everywhere in this country. And when even one American--who has done nothing wrong--is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril" - Harry S. Truman, Address at the Dedication of the New Washington Headquarters of the American Legion, August 14, 1951

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Old July 14, 2003, 17:24   #3
bobbo008
Prince

the biggest problem with the "biggest size possible" (i dont know how big exactly that is) is that there can be a total of 516 cities on the map. even a 300x300 map with 70% water should have land and the maximum number of cities.
Old July 14, 2003, 17:31   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
If you look at the real world even today, you'll see see that there is huge tracts of sparsely settled and unsettled land. I see no problem with that.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 14, 2003, 18:00   #5
Bamspeedy
Chieftain

Yes, you would have to alter the appearance ratio in the editor.
For luxuries it is set to 0, which is random (but it does seem to relate to the number of civs in the game). It seems to give about 1 per player on average, and the luxuries are usually grouped together (so civs can get a monopoly on them). I haven't tested to see if altering this number would cause the luxuries to be spread out like the strategics are.

Here is what the editor help says:
Quote:
Appearance Ratio (Resource Properties)

Determines how many instances of the selected resource appear per player in the game. In an eight-player game, a value of 160 would mean 2 of each resource per player. Note that even if this number indicates that there are two resources per player in the game, this does not mean that each player will have access to those two resources. Setting this value to zero means the resource will be distributed at random.

Note that resource placement is also limited by which terrain types can support the given resource.
Old July 14, 2003, 18:21   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
Stereophobia I just finished yesterday with AU402 on a 250X250 with 4 civs. You better be prepared for some seriously long turn waits once the action starts.
On a Pent IV 1.7 GH turns got as long as an hour.
On my 3.06 GH they got out to around 25 minutes.
This is with nearly all civs at war with someone.
Old July 14, 2003, 20:21   #7
bobbo008
Prince

"If you look at the real world even today, you'll see see that there is huge tracts of sparsely settled and unsettled land. I see no problem with that."

in the game, though, it can also be the most fertile/best land. the other problem with this is that the land cannot be claimed, not like the real world today.
Old July 14, 2003, 21:17   #8
Stereophobia
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Stereophobia I just finished yesterday with AU402 on a 250X250 with 4 civs. You better be prepared for some seriously long turn waits once the action starts.
On a Pent IV 1.7 GH turns got as long as an hour.
On my 3.06 GH they got out to around 25 minutes.
This is with nearly all civs at war with someone.
Well I already did one with the 362 x 362 map but only had 12 civs and the longest turn wait was about 5 minutes, which is strange considering I only have a P450 with 64MB ram, even when we were all at war it never took more than 5 minutes, although since I installed PTW the turns have seemingly sped up to an ave of 3 minutes.

And thanks to everyone else for the help.
Old July 14, 2003, 21:50   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Stereo, try AU 402... the luxury situation is, hmmm, interesting.

To clarify for vxma1, I think he *ended* with 4 civs... you start with considerably more.

And I just gotta throw this in (although it may become a major threadjack):

"It's not the size that matters, it's the [blank]".

Suggestions?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:14   #10
vmxa1
Deity

One factor could have been the game was played with max water and many cities with coastal cities and harbors. You a lot of work was done if a city was add or lost. You could see huge time delays mid way into the game every time you created a new city. The animation for the settler would squat and not move for several minutes.
Also 24 civs is an lot of extra checking over 12. I think I ended with 15 civs at 2050.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:15   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

Suggestions?
How about this lame one:

"traits"
Old July 15, 2003, 01:37   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
CPU speed. AU402 kicked my meager little computer's booty (and it's only 2 years old).
Old July 15, 2003, 02:42   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Any chance the new engine will correct these speed issues?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 15, 2003, 02:53   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Any chance the new engine will correct these speed issues?
Two chances: slim and none and slim just left town.
If they want to test it, I will gladly send them a few saves.
Old July 15, 2003, 02:59   #15
The Mad Monk
Emperor

What the hell are they doing that requires such a ridiculous amount of time, anyway? It's not enough to establish a path, they're trying for a best fit, or what?
Old July 15, 2003, 04:00   #16
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
Probably doing some 'funny stuff' that look real neat but are unbelievable slow. Maybe recalculating ALL trade routes each time something happens with a city without using lookup tables.
Old July 15, 2003, 05:23   #17
pollyworth
Settler

But keep in mind that the more luxuries on the map, the less valuable they are.
Old July 15, 2003, 12:29   #18
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by pollyworth
But keep in mind that the more luxuries on the map, the less valuable they are.
Not in the current implementation. Each wonder you aquire make additonal citizens happy and this is multiplied by a market place.
In Au402 I had something like 14 furs and everyone wanted them. This is because there are only 8 types of lux and each civ would like to have one of each.
Now if they add additional types of lux beyond the 8 (and they are), then it could reduce their value, if they are all in the game at once and there are enough so all civs can have 8. If not the value will still be high. A large civ in Rep or Demo on Emperor level with surely want to have all the luxs they can get.