Old July 14, 2003, 21:35   #1
Faboba
King

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Unfortunate Problem With Grassland
By the time this thread is read I'll hoepfully have either worked out a solution to the problem or simply cut my losses and started from scratch with my map however I'd appreciate any suggestions all the same.

I'm creating a Star Trek scenario in which almost the entire map is grass ( to facilitate blocking areas off and creating bottlenecks ). Outer space is glacial while the other non-ocean terrains give the various planet types.

I choose to make grassland into the 'ideal planet' with 30 food, 25 shields and 15 trade. These high stats are necessitated by the fact that the city square is the only one which will produce resources ( space creates 1 trade in order to prevent unhappiness ) and the scenario's primary point is to simulate warfare so most cities will likely need to support several units without a significant drop in production rate.

The problem is that for some reason when I use the FW scenario editor to edit the grassland the attributes I enter only seems to apply for grassland squares WITH the resource/shield. Grassland without the resource/shield have the correct trade and food values but for some inexplicable reason produce only one shield.

Does anyone know how I can edit the attributes of a grassland tile without a resource/shield on it? Otherwise I'm going to have to switch glacier and grassland terrains and go through the city placement process all over again.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:09   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:41
Why not open up rules.txt and scrol down to the terrain section?
Old July 15, 2003, 08:53   #3
Faboba
King

I've set all mentions of grassland to the same (30,25,15) specs in the rules.txt. It doesn't help. As far as I can see the program has it coded into it that the grassland tiles will have the attributes set when a resource/shield is present but when it is not the tile will have no shields. The only reason there is one in the city itself is because cities automatically generate a minimum of all the various attributes on their home tile.

You really think I'm so stupid I wouldn't have looked at the rules.txt?

I was wondering if anyone else had experiences this self-same problem and had worked out a way around it.

( If you doubt me on this check the default rules.txt - the attributes for grassland are set to 2,1,0 which as everyone well knows is the specs for grassland with resource/shield. I don't think this is something that can be solved by anything obvious ).
Old July 15, 2003, 20:55   #4
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:41
It seems as though you are probably right.

You can swap terrains using MapEdit, save an *.mp file, and reimport it into the save game with MapCopy.
Old July 17, 2003, 01:57   #5
Faboba
King

Wish I'd read that before doing it manually. Oh well.

By the way... are there any common errors which might cause my game to crash when I try to 'set current research goal'? I've double checked and Future Tech is definately still connected. Does it need access to a certain amount of the tech tree or something?
Old July 17, 2003, 07:35   #6
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 06:41
There most likely is a technology loop, i.e. tech a needs tech b, tech b needs tech a. Check thoroughly.
Old August 7, 2003, 10:13   #7
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Confirmed and clarified.

When editing rules.txt, only the first instance of grassland in the list (the standard terrain type) has values that matter.

Whatever is entered here will be the F,S,T values for grassland shield. Grassland no shield gets the same, except no production.

The lower two entries (in the special resource section) don't do anything.
Old August 8, 2003, 04:23   #8
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
You can still enter alternative values for irrigation for grassland though (which all cities are automatically presumed to have beneath them), this will work for all kinds of grassland squares.

This does not work for mining