Old July 14, 2003, 21:48   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Could MOO3 backstory be made into movie?
Wouldn't it be great if there were a movie based on part of the MOO3 backstory? After all, doesn't the backstory have everything you could want for a great scifi movie? It has epic wars, mystery, ancient races. I think the MOO3 story could lend itself really well for a great scifi movie. What do you all think?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2003, 12:20   #2
Stormhound
Prince

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yes, it wouldn't be.

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2003, 12:33   #3
Q Classic
Emperor

no. the story's not the weak part. it's that it's a video game...

and video games almost never translate well.
Old July 15, 2003, 13:12   #4
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
no. the story's not the weak part. it's that it's a video game...

and video games almost never translate well.
But you don't need the video game to make the movie.

Just pretend there is no game, and just focus on the backstory. Don't you think that a great movie could be made based on The Elders' Civil War, the Antaran War, the Pax Humanica, or the Harvester Experiments?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old July 15, 2003, 13:27   #5
Yook
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:41
No. It is trite and cliched.

-Yook

P.S. Just like 99% of the movies, yes, I know that.
Yook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 00:18   #6
Turk Man
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:41
maybe
Turk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 04:39   #7
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
It sure might be better than all the caply moives SupicWood(HollyWood) is turning out lately.
Old July 17, 2003, 11:49   #8
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Sorry if the game doesn't gross enough money to seropisly pay the bills you can forget about a movie.
DarthVeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 23:34   #9
Vince278
King

It seemed to me to be a bit too much like Babylon 5.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 02:42   #10
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Sorry if the game doesn't gross enough money to seropisly pay the bills you can forget about a movie.
The book that the moive Blade Runner was loosely based on didnot sell that well at all. The moive scriptwritter did than better job of written it than the sceince fiction writer did in 1949.

The moive was many thousand of time better than the book it was base on.
Old July 19, 2003, 21:48   #11
TimeTraveler
Warlord

I think that it would actually be a neat idea if there was a series of movies that took place in the MoO3 background fiction, most of which should probably take place in the more exciting times, like the evacuation from Center One at GC zero, or the Battle of ConJenn that ended that second Orion-Antaran war.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2003, 00:50   #12
Vince278
King

Even though the idea appeals to me I don't think a movie would work. The amount of written fiction after release is practically zero.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old July 20, 2003, 15:11   #13
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TimeTraveler
I think that it would actually be a neat idea if there was a series of movies that took place in the MoO3 background fiction, most of which should probably take place in the more exciting times, like the evacuation from Center One at GC zero, or the Battle of ConJenn that ended that second Orion-Antaran war.
The movie would probably have to stick with the history where the humans played a big part. I don't think movie goers would be interesting in a movie that only featured CGI aliens. The humans would have to have a central role in the movie.

I would probably start the movie with a voice-over narration briefly explaining the evacuation from center one, Elder's War. That way, the viewer would be introduced to the neccessary info about the universe that the story is taking place in.
Old July 23, 2003, 15:50   #14
Raion
Prince

Actually, I think, that there could be a series about MOO3 and the origin of species in the Galaxy, and perhaps, humans. Are humans descendents of the original Elder Race the Orions, were humans created as an genetic experiment, etc?

The Great Wars, and so on of the alien species, and all that has happened with the history of alien species in the Galaxy, and the ups and downs of civilizations of alien species in the Galaxy.

Actually series could go on and on forever. Kind of like Babylon Five or so, and all that has happened including the dispersion of the Antarans into the other dimension by Captain Locknar and the Black Hole Generator, and the return of the Antarans or the changing of the Antarans into the New Orions, with epic space battles, and the total involvement of species in the Galactic Cycles of History.

Raion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2003, 16:00   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278
It seemed to me to be a bit too much like Babylon 5.
I concur. Races coming and going and coming back and yadda yadda.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2003, 00:53   #16
Turk Man
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:41
NO!! IT A GAME NOT MOVIE!!!!!!
Turk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2003, 02:57   #17
Vince278
King

There was a short movie at the beginning of the game.