Old December 5, 2004, 04:00   #31
Tiemler
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: MOO1 Final War
Quote:
in a side note, I wasn't conquered that game. I was hounded down to a small, poor planet, which was then destroyed by a comet. How humiliating.....
Wow, they ARE bad omens.

Anyway, I love small maps because of the hard-fought nature of these games. You're not fielding technological terrors by the time you get in your first long hard slog of a war, and even with a good start, you're not much larger than your neighbors. And if you lose the vote, you stand a chance of winning.

My favorite games of MOO1 are those in which you get in a fight with your neighbor over what would be your third planet, and it changes hands a few times. You end up fighting with the basic, aptly named Fighter, or barely upgraded medium ships.
Tiemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2004, 10:53   #32
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
another thing about small maps is I have never seen the high council be undecided long enough for someone to take orion. there just aren't enough ships or high enough tech to do it. I have seen the first council vote take place as quickly as 40 years after the start of the game. In that game I just described as alks vs. darloks, they voted him in as high master only 75 years into the game!
that kind of situation makes you scramble.

the sakkras and I were fighting over my second planet for a bit, which I didn't get, since they were beyond my 5 parsec range, and when I spied on them later on, they still didn't have the requisite fuel cells. What, did they put reserve tanks on their colony transports or something?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Father Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2004, 14:01   #33
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
I have seen them make a colony ship out of a huge design to fit the reserve in very early, before construction kicked in enough to let it fit in a large.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2004, 04:52   #34
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
I've done the same thing a couple of times out of desperation.
Ljube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2004, 05:47   #35
Father Beast
King

funny thing was, I never saw any of their ships, just some troop transports.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old December 11, 2004, 08:53   #36
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal
there was a trick to getting out of final war, i forget exactly. i think if you eliminate the winner, and then cause revolts in the remaining players, it "forgets" that you lost the vote.
Doesn't Work. At least not in 1.3. I played as the darloks recently and saw them vote in the meklars as high master. I went and knocked them down to one planet each, and when everything had been researched, I took the meklars world and caused revolutions on the other 3 ( the last one having been wiped out by a space crystal). It took about 40 turns to get them all to revolt simultaneously, but I did it, and they were all still joined against me.

BTW, speaking of the space crystal, I have seen a bug where you can't atmosphere terraform worlds that have been radiated by the space crystal/space amoeba. Sometimes. I had one game where I took orion after it was ravaged by a crystal, and it stayed small and radiated.