View Poll Results: Ideology - what should the human hive foster?
We value our honour and it is our shield. 7 53.85%
We have the will to take power and it is our sword. 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15, 2003, 06:32   #1
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 15:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Honour or Power
With the meeting of another faction the people of the Human Hive are faced with a difficult decision. We must decide what is more important to us. Our nobility in the eyes of our peers, or the will to gain advantage over the others.

With honour other factions will believe our words, and be more likely to assist us in our goals. Promises we make will have value and can be used to make us stronger, but we are limited as our strength must be grown slowly. If we decide to do whatever it takes, we may be able conquor the land of a enemy. Betrayal can make us powerful quickly, but resistance against us will rise the stronger we become.

In the rules of war each is acceptable, each is a gamble and neither method may gain us the prize that we seek. However, this decision cannot be laid aside for a later time. If the decision is honour it must be enduring to have merit. If the decision is power, it must be planned and pursued relentlessly from the start. We stand at the crossroads and the middle way is far more rugged than either of the choices.

Your choice here will shape what we do for many years to come, so think carefully before you make your decision.

Kody
Old July 15, 2003, 08:15   #2
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 06:42
Honor is the way true masters seek.

Although honor may be gained in combat, there are far more ways than that. Diplomacy must be our primitive, for it is the only choice we could justify to our children.

Let us teach them what life is about. But make sure we are always able to protect them against unprovoked aggression from outside!

We need to keep up good relations with most of the other factions. Our greatest chance is to get war with ONE faction and be allied to at least ONE other faction at the same time.
An honorable reputation opens up the doors for us, think of future relations with the CyCon or the Pirates.

On the other hand, we already have a bad reputation just for being the "evil" Hive. Plus, there´s no point in being honorable but defenseless.

We must be prepared for all eventualities. Having a reasonable military power and good "Ally-assault" plans hidden behind a friendly face is an option worth to be considered. Just in case...
Old July 15, 2003, 10:12   #3
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I absolutely agree with Comrade Micha. I think we should try our best to be hornorable. Even if we decided to end a pact, we should try announce it before we attack, in other words, no backstabbing if absolutely necessary.

On the other hand, we should not assume a pact is a permanent thing. We have the right to change it to our favor, and we should be prepared that the other faction will do the same thing. One important thing that Comrade Micha mentioned too is that no matter what strategy we decide, we should remeber to keep it inside and keep a friendly face outside. This is not to rule out sometimes coersion can be used if it deemed to be effective.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 15, 2003, 10:29   #4
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

You might want to vote....

As for your other arguments. Those are going to be the next topics we decide on when the drones reply back. What degree of trust do we give them and the nature of the pact.

Kody
Old July 15, 2003, 20:12   #5
Kody
Emperor

Just bumping this thread up. Remember this poll isn't deciding what we do with the drones. It's about how we will treat other factions we have alliances with and whether we shall keep our promises.

The actual issues about the drones will be brought up when we actually get some kind of a response. Buster should be coming back in 4 days so I hear.

Kody
Old July 15, 2003, 20:50   #6
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Honour to Humans, Crush the AI.
Old July 16, 2003, 01:33   #7
Kody
Emperor

Bumping this thread back to the top again.

Remember to vote.

Kody
Old July 16, 2003, 02:37   #8
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Honor! Honor is the only way the glourious people of the Human Hive can aviod the evil, capitalistic fools who would mislead them!

Glory and HONOR for the HUMAN HIVE!
Old July 16, 2003, 07:58   #9
Kody
Emperor

Voltaire,

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=92162

When this poll is completed, can the decision be added to our constitution.
I suggest we don't publically announce the idea. Simply try and show it in our actions. Announcing that you intend to be honourable generally makes people think the opposite.

PS: Sorry about the post in the other thread.

Kody
Old July 16, 2003, 22:16   #10
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 22:42
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
Are the two mutually exclusive? Or perhaps we can be powerful while still appearing honourable? Let us not encumber ourselves with this obsolete sentimentalism. We have to be willing to be ruthless in order to win!

On the other hand, it is fun to keep our enemies on their toes

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Last edited by EZRhino; July 25, 2003 at 14:23.
Old July 16, 2003, 22:53   #11
Kody
Emperor

I'm asking which would be more important.

If honour, we can still become powerful. However, we won't try certain dishonourable things to gain advantage.

Kody
Old July 16, 2003, 23:11   #12
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
Morality is dead. What is Yang is without the will to power!

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old July 17, 2003, 04:50   #13
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

In regards to the issue of adding a policy of honour in relation to pacts the CCC has ruled that at this time such a constitutional amendment would be unnecessary.

If the People wish that it be turned into law, a bill must be submitted before the PAC. Though this, IMHO, seems premature seeing as the State has always followed the wishes of the People. And if the People deem it fit that we honour our diplomatic agreements so be it.

-Chairman Voltaire
Old July 18, 2003, 11:40   #14
Haon
ACDG The Human HiveMacAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:42
We need power, we just need to use our propoganda to make it look like honor....
Old July 18, 2003, 12:54   #15
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Good suggestion ...

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 18, 2003, 13:17   #16
Kody
Emperor

You have no idea how hard that is to do successfully. I personally don't want to try. If you wish Haon you can take over the job of Pravda Editor and attempt to do that.

Kody
Old June 14, 2004, 09:03   #17
Kody
Emperor

I voted honour at the time and the vote was one ahead for honour so that's how we pursued all our diplomancy.
Old June 14, 2004, 10:02   #18
Snowflake
Princess

Wow look at the sharp devision of the poll.

/me looks back for how she voted.

Phew! I voted honor. I believe.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 16, 2004, 18:31   #19
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 06:42
Ah, these were the times...

/me gets lost in thoughts...
Old June 17, 2004, 06:34   #20
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 07:42
So honour won ?
Old June 17, 2004, 07:09   #21
Kody
Emperor

Yeah it won, but only lasted while I was running portions of the Hive.

Although we treaded hazy ground by giving away the peace infiltration information.

Also there were several difficult decisions on what was honourable and what wasn't. I had a long discussion with voltaire on whether it was honourable to make trades specifically to keep the other factions apart. You see the Hive tired to make fairly sweet trades with the peace and university so that other factions would have less reason to work together. I wasn't entirely sure if that was the right thing to do morally, although it seemed to be an effective strategy.

Honghu was supposed to handle cycon stuff (with all the moral issues attached), I let her set most of the diplomatic stance towards the cycon as long as she didn't make the big decision without hive approval (eg whether to perma-pact or not).