Old July 20, 2003, 00:17   #331
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Of course, if you are not a libertarian
Vel has some Libertarian beliefs, as does Imran, but Berzerker and I are the only two "all out" Libertarians on the thread (and, AFAIK, on the forum as a whole right now, although Wraith and Rex Little post occasionally).
Old July 20, 2003, 03:39   #332
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 21:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
A)When were property rights "removed"?
Income tax. 1913 I believe.
Quote:
B)To accept the assertion that a government can remove any rights, first you have to accept the assertion that natural rights do not exist.
I could just care less if rights are natural or not, and most people also careless. Only Libertarians tend to care about them.
Quote:
So, ultimately, people only have rights as long as the government wants them to?
Yes, and as far as the govt is democratic the People make that decision.

Libertarians want to make laws that you see as natural rights, but in actuality are simply undemocratic because the People don't want them. They have good reason to reject the theory of natural law, because that would be going back in time to a period where there was much more suffering. Libertarians want to turn back progress.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:44   #333
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
I gotcha. I thought you were referring to all property rights in one swoop.

Quote:
I could just care less if rights are natural or not, and most people also careless. Only Libertarians tend to care about them.
If rights are natural, then it follows that it is not the government's place, or within its power, to "remove" them, now doesn't it?

Quote:
Remind me again why I would want people dumber than me deciding how I should live?

Quote:
Libertarians want to make laws that you see as natural rights, but in actuality are simply undemocratic
Duh. Democracy sucks.

Quote:
They have good reason to reject the theory of natural law, because that would be going back in time to a period where there was much more suffering
Actually you are misunderstanding natural law/rights - there has never been a time in which natural rights were strictly observed by a government. That's sorta like arguing that free capitalism will fail on the basis of Victorian Britain - that's a silly argument, because there were laws in favor of businesses as opposed to workers, rather than the government backing out altogether.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:45   #334
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
Which is why we have no rights under your philosophy, only permission from "society", i.e., the majority (I suppose). You don't understand the difference between a right and a privilege.
You may be correct. You are talking about rights. But I would say that I'm talking about benefits, not priviledges.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:48   #335
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 01:43
You have no right to life in a civil society if you're not prepeared to defend that society from violent change. You will rightly be tooseed in jail if you decialine service when the verty life of the nation is at stake. Conscrip[tion is unjustified for Veitnam-type excyursion, but justified for WWII type war,
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 03:51   #336
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Remind me again why I would want people dumber than me deciding how I should live?
I don't always like the results of democracy either. In fact I rarely do. However I argue that by definition democracy does tend to be fairer than any alternative.
Old July 20, 2003, 06:11   #337
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:43
Kid -
Quote:
Hmm...are you equating labor with property?

Quote:
Would you start caring if the majority - "society" - enslaved or murdered you and your family?

Quote:
You mean a minority since the majority can't or doesn't vote, but I'll accept that you believe a majority of those who do vote get to make these decisions. So, why would you call for a revolution when the majority doesn't vote the way you want? If you really believed that, you wouldn't be a communist or anything other than a small "d" democrat.

Quote:
Libertarians want to make laws that you see as natural rights, but in actuality are simply undemocratic because the People don't want them.
True, democracy is immoral just like any other system that ignores natural rights. As Mel Gibson's character in "The Patriot" said, why would I want to trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants 1 mile away.

Quote:
They have good reason to reject the theory of natural law, because that would be going back in time to a period where there was much more suffering. Libertarians want to turn back progress.
No, their reason to reject natural rights is their contempt for other people's freedom. Even Imran argued for ignoring all our rights under the 9th Amendment to the Constitution because he feared some guy might claim a right to have sex with a farm animal.

As for your comment about natural rights being responsible for past suffering. At what time in history did natural rights - libertarianism - prevail? The first historical governments were despotic monarchies often accompanied by caste systems which prevailed for millennia with sporadic republics popping up here and there followed by ~democracies. It would be nice if you backed up such outrageous claims. Besides, this past suffering was a result of slow/rare production gains. Life spans and quality of life have dramatically increased over the last 2 centuries because of these gains you complain about. Now, identify when and where this system of natural rights prevailed or withdraw your Kidiculous assertion.
Old July 20, 2003, 06:16   #338
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
However I argue that by definition democracy does tend to be fairer than any alternative.
"Fairer" as defined by you, which is not an example of "democracy".
Old July 20, 2003, 06:51   #339
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

DF

Then the only conclusion of your argument is the tyranny of the majority. 50% + 1 legally lording it over 50% - 1, if it came down to it, able to do anything they wanted to the minority in the name of the "voluntary social contract and good".

Can you read, or did you just not see the "subject to judicial review" part. The majority CANNOT do whatever it wants to the minority. They are bound by the parameters of the Constitution. And before you start talking about how antiquated that document is, remember that it can be, and has been amended. Rediculous to call democracy the tyranny of the majority, and equally rediculous to discuss the 50% + 1 majority that's entirely possible, but never yet happened in 200-odd years.

Templar

(4) is not an option - you can't just join another country at will. In some respects US citizens are stuck with US citizenship.

Bullocks. It's done every day. Not "at will," no. But to say that it's too hard to be an option is nonsense and flies in the face of reality. If you can't be arsed to go through the process, then obviously whatever has your panties in a wad isn't all THAT terrible to you.

I am arguing that your stand on conscription raises questions of your inconsistency on either your moral position on conscription or your moral position on property.

And you would be arguing from an incorrect premise in that case. There's no inconsistency here. Duration IS important, and in fact, defining to me. What's also important is that I had to make a choice....send in my draft card, or not? Play by the rules or buck the system? I chose to accept that the rights, priveleges, and opportunities I have (that are safeguarded for me BY this country) do not come free, and that I may be called on to defend them. I gave the nod to that by sending my draft card in. How was that involuntary? How does that make me a slave? How is a government demand of something (potentially, not absolutely) in return for safeguarding all the wonderful opportunity and freedom we have, immoral? The slightest breeze bowls your arguments over.

So if the people elected a communist government that immediately extinguished your private property claims, then you would be willingly giving up your property, not having it taken. After all, such would be the policy of an elected government ...

And to think, this is one of the results of the glorious revolution you wish for. Yes, IF a communist government were ever elected, I'd have the same choices I mentioned to you, and I would choose "change the system." or "leave." I wouldn't be alone in that.

DF

Then, as I pointed out earlier, why do we let Conscientious Objectors avoid the draft with no consequences? No one ever addressed that.

Another reason that conscription in this country is not immoral. If there's no punishment for those who object, then what's it to you if someone doesn't really want to go, but also doesn't object?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 20, 2003, 10:45   #340
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Can you read, or did you just not see the "subject to judicial review" part. The majority CANNOT do whatever it wants to the minority.
Sure it can - with your added caveat of "if a judge says so", which in many ways is the same as saying "if the government says so".

Quote:
They are bound by the parameters of the Constitution.
That would be a good start, if they actually cared about following the Constitution, were apolitical in their decisions, and looked to the meaning and intent of the Constitution, not just lawyerly ways to define words.

Quote:
And before you start talking about how antiquated that document is, remember that it can be, and has been amended.
Funny, that's the argument I make towards those who think conscription is Constitutional. The Constitution is, as written, a great document, and amendments took care of various flaws, such as civil rights.

Quote:
Rediculous to call democracy the tyranny of the majority, and equally rediculous to discuss the 50% + 1 majority that's entirely possible, but never yet happened in 200-odd years.
No, 50% + 1 hasn't happened, but are you seriously saying that in the US, the majority has not at various times tried to strip a certain minority of their rights? If nothing else, Japanese-Americans in WW2, but there are plenty of other examples, even if you don't define conscription as refusing to acknowledge and respect someone's rights, as I do.

Quote:
Another reason that conscription in this country is not immoral. If there's no punishment for those who object, then what's it to you if someone doesn't really want to go, but also doesn't object?
You just entirely missed the point. The question wasn't "Can I get out of the draft?", the question was, "If military service is a duty and an implied social contract, and it doesn't matter what people's individual morality is when put against society's needs, then why do we allow for COs?"

Try answering THAT one.
Old July 20, 2003, 11:55   #341
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Kid -
Hmm...are you equating labor with property?
I'm using the term the way it's used in the Constitution.
Quote:
Would you start caring if the majority - "society" - enslaved or murdered you and your family?
See you have your priorities all screwed up. Redistributing property and taking away gun ownership rights are not oppressive. I'm not arguing for the government to murder people.
Quote:
You mean a minority since the majority can't or doesn't vote, but I'll accept that you believe a majority of those who do vote get to make these decisions.
Not voting is just like voting. It means you don't care one way or the other or you don't like either of the politicians. It can also mean that you are against the system. Maybe you shouldn't vote
Quote:
So, why would you call for a revolution when the majority doesn't vote the way you want? If you really believed that, you wouldn't be a communist or anything other than a small "d" democrat.
I don't call for a revolution by the minority. And I am a democrat with a small "d." I don't vote.
Quote:
True, democracy is immoral just like any other system that ignores natural rights. As Mel Gibson's character in "The Patriot" said, why would I want to trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants 1 mile away.
That's absurd. Redistributing property or taking away gun ownership rights are not tyranical. They benefit people. Now denying the People to decide their laws is tyranical.
Quote:
No, their reason to reject natural rights is their contempt for other people's freedom.
I would have to agree with you that most people reject your view of freedom. Authoritarian govt is authoritarian govt even if it's constitutional.
Quote:
As for your comment about natural rights being responsible for past suffering. At what time in history did natural rights - libertarianism - prevail? The first historical governments were despotic monarchies often accompanied by caste systems which prevailed for millennia with sporadic republics popping up here and there followed by ~democracies. It would be nice if you backed up such outrageous claims.
And I pray to God that there never will be one. The US tried to be one. It was the original goal of the Constitution. Fortunately the People realized that that way caused suffering and it was outright rejected.
Quote:
Besides, this past suffering was a result of slow/rare production gains. Life spans and quality of life have dramatically increased over the last 2 centuries because of these gains you complain about.
Suffering is caused by authoritarianism and capitalism (expolitation). I'm not talking about owning crap. I'm talking about people having their basic needs met. Nothing has done anything to help that except democracy.
Old July 20, 2003, 12:00   #342
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
"Fairer" as defined by you, which is not an example of "democracy".
It's fairer according to the vast majority of people everywhere. That IS democracy my friend.

Last edited by Kidicious; July 20, 2003 at 12:07.
Old July 20, 2003, 13:56   #343
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Templar -

I've never mentioned that my argument relies on this "labor theory", that comes from you. And then you proceed to offer this gem:
You can call it whatever you like, but your idea that a property interest is acquired via admixture of labor with material is John Locke's labor theory of property. I don't know if you've read Locke or not, but if you haven't you should go read it. It will sound just like your position. Therefore, you are an exponent of the labor theory.

Quote:
If I've "smuggled" something into this labor theory, then I'm not using this theory now, am I?
See above, you are using the labor theory (whether you are familiar with the term or not. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, swins like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...

And don't feel bad, Locke himself had to smuggle in first-come-first-serve to further explain his theory. That is, it is needed as a barrier against person B admixing his labor with material after person A has admixed her labor with the very same material.

First-come-first-serve however is not the only possibility. In fact a better criterion might be efficiency. So that even if you built your dirt farm on Greenacre first, my plans for a factory would be a far more efficient use for Greenacre - so I should get Greenacre, even if you were there first. Labor + optimized efficiency is as much a posibility as labor + first-come-first-serve is. Locke in essence elided labor with first-come-first-serve. So don't feel bad, you are in good company.

Quote:
Btw, you were the one doing the "smuggling", I equated the labor to produce property with the property wrt moral authority and you smuggled in stolen goods to change what I said. Nice try, but that dog won't hunt.
It's one thing if the sculptor in my statue example is aware that the gold is stolen. If the sculptor acts in good faith that the gold is not stolen, then the story is different.

Quote:
Would that be a "social construct" based on moral considerations? Yes, I do believe so... That's right Templar, my views on property stem from moral considerations. That isn't confusion, just a basis for a system of property. Would you base a system of property on immoral considerations?
Fair enough. You are predicating a property regime based on the interest generated by labor. But labor can only create a pre-proprietary interest. The interest is pre-proprietary because property can only exist in a civil society where property rights are publically recongized and held without pure recourse to force.

Moreover, I assume that even if a society were to enact a communist social contract that you would want to argue that the ensuing property regime were unjust if it failed to take into account pre-proprietary labor interests.

Quote:
No you didn't, you said the gold ore was stolen and fell into the hands of the statue maker. I responded to your scenario by pointing out that the ore producer has the moral claim to the ore even if the statue maker added his labor. What was your comeback? Oh yeah, you shot down my "labor theory"...
The sculptor has a claim to the statue as an entity ontologically distinct from the gold, the miner has the claim to the gold. This would not be a problem except for the fact that the statue's existence is based on the gold. Due to this state of affairs labor theory alone cannot determine to whom the gold belongs - if it belongs to the miner, then the labor of the sculptor is not recognized. If the gold belongs to the sculptor (obviously, the statue as distinct belongs to the sculptor under labor theory), then the labor interest of the miner is ignored.

This argument IS how I shot down labor theory. First-come-first-serve is usually inserted as a bulwark against these sorts of hypotheticals. That is, the miner is first with the gold, so his or her labor interest is the controlling labor interest. However, in my statue example, the miner's claim is complicated by the fact that the statue is itself a distinct entity from the gold. So first-come can resolve the controlling interest in the gold, however because the statue is dependent on the gold for existence, the sculptor' labor interest controls the sculpture, and the miner has NO labor interest in the statue itself, even first-come cannot resolve the problem.

That's why labor + first-come is insufficient to deal with property. Obviously in the real world a court would be required to determine the ownership of the gold in such a situation. However, whatever property determination which is made will rely on something beyond labor + first-come. Ergo, property regimes are underdetermined by labor + first-come.

Quote:
Now, what was UR's explanation for the origin of this "pre-existing right"? Was he saying you have a pre-existing right to add your labor to material you've stolen to produce something?
UR pointed out that for labor to work, there must be a pre-existing right for a laborer to admix his or her labor with the material. This is why pure labor theory doesn't work - and why even Locke had to smuggle in first-come-first-serve.

Quote:
Implying I've made some contradictory concession to your argument is ridiculous when I've opposed conscription based on ownership in this thread and others long before you appeared.
You have not made a contradiction, you have used an exploded theory to make your case. It would be as if we were discussing physics and you backed your findings with Aristotlian physics. Locke's labor theory is very much in the same position with contemporary property theory. You haven't contradicted yourself, only used obsolete ideas.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:03   #344
The Templar
Prince

Quote:

Duh. Democracy sucks.

The better way to argue this is that contemporary democracy is not about "majority rule" simpliciter. Rather, the majority is constrained by the amount the government can do.

You and I would merely disagree about how much authority a government may morally claim in terms of property interests.

Quote:
Actually you are misunderstanding natural law/rights - there has never been a time in which natural rights were strictly observed by a government. That's sorta like arguing that free capitalism will fail on the basis of Victorian Britain - that's a silly argument, because there were laws in favor of businesses as opposed to workers, rather than the government backing out altogether.
Exactly. In theory, you could have a democratic government that was fully constrained against acting in ways that run contrary to natural rights (granted much of this constraint will have to be maintained by the people - but that's a problem for any system).

In practice, you never see this though. STill, I don't think this a problem with democracy per se.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:21   #345
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
DF

Templar

(4) is not an option - you can't just join another country at will. In some respects US citizens are stuck with US citizenship.

Bullocks. It's done every day. Not "at will," no. But to say that it's too hard to be an option is nonsense and flies in the face of reality. If you can't be arsed to go through the process, then obviously whatever has your panties in a wad isn't all THAT terrible to you.
I'm pretty sure that EU member-state citizenship requires either a vital or rare skill or a giant fee. Of course can you blame them? Most EU states are such nice places they would be overrun if just anyone could move in - even with effort.

So if you can't pay the fee or don't have a listed skill, no amount of effort will earn you citizenship.

Quote:
And you would be arguing from an incorrect premise in that case. There's no inconsistency here. Duration IS important, and in fact, defining to me.
If crooked-ass LA cop tosses you in jail for a day for no reason whatsoever, I assume you will be pissed (I would). Will you be any less pissed off if the cop responds, "but it was only a day! What are you complaining about?" If you would still be angry, you can see how duration is not an issue relevant to you imprisonment. Likewise, duration is not relevant to conscription. After all, for a libertarian, a taking is a taking - duration only goes to the amount of damage actually inflicted.

Quote:
What's also important is that I had to make a choice....send in my draft card, or not? Play by the rules or buck the system?
That's like saying taxes are really volutary. Pay or go to jail forever. It's not a significant choice.

Quote:
I chose to accept that the rights, priveleges, and opportunities I have (that are safeguarded for me BY this country) do not come free, and that I may be called on to defend them. I gave the nod to that by sending my draft card in. How was that involuntary? How does that make me a slave?
Sure, so pay market value to soldiers. Pay the cost in taxes and don't externalize. And no, it doesn't make you a slave. Actual conscription is the slavery or indentured servitude - not filling out the card.

Quote:
So if the people elected a communist government that immediately extinguished your private property claims, then you would be willingly giving up your property, not having it taken. After all, such would be the policy of an elected government ...

And to think, this is one of the results of the glorious revolution you wish for. Yes, IF a communist government were ever elected, I'd have the same choices I mentioned to you, and I would choose "change the system." or "leave." I wouldn't be alone in that.
I certainly don't believe in glorius revolutions that occur at gunpoint and would want no part of that - good ends cannot justify evil means. Now having said that ...

I can't argue that you are being incosistent here. If you believe that elected communism has the same democratic pedigree as elected conscription and that the democratic pedigree is sufficient to justify the actions, then you are perfectly consistent.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:57   #346
Berzerker
Emperor

Kid -
Quote:
I'm using the term the way it's used in the Constitution.
And you accept that usage?

Quote:
See you have your priorities all screwed up. Redistributing property and taking away gun ownership rights are not oppressive. I'm not arguing for the government to murder people.
You didn't answer my question.

Quote:
Not voting is just like voting. It means you don't care one way or the other or you don't like either of the politicians. It can also mean that you are against the system. Maybe you shouldn't vote
Telling me a non-vote is a vote is Once again you've ignored my point, even in the US the majority doesn't vote. So much for your majority rule.

Quote:
I don't call for a revolution by the minority. And I am a democrat with a small "d." I don't vote
Does that mean you do vote according to your claim that not voting is just like voting? What revolutions were majoritarian? Not even the American Revolution qualified...

Quote:
That's absurd. Redistributing property or taking away gun ownership rights are not tyranical. They benefit people. Now denying the People to decide their laws is tyranical.
You don't think it's tyrannical because you support the tyranny. I wouldn't ask a slaveowner if slavery is tyrannical. You want to see a revolution? Try taking away guns from the millions of Americans who own them and we'll see if they think you're a tyrant.

Quote:
I would have to agree with you that most people reject your view of freedom. Authoritarian govt is authoritarian govt even if it's constitutional.
My view of freedom comes from the dictionary, not the Communist Manifesto. Freedom means the absence of coercion or constraint on choice or action. You've already shown your contempt for freedom by claiming legalised theft and banning guns isn't tyrannical in your esteemed opinion.

Quote:
And I pray to God that there never will be one.
Is that your admission you made a false claim when you blamed natural rights for past suffering?

Quote:
The US tried to be one. It was the original goal of the Constitution. Fortunately the People realized that that way caused suffering and it was outright rejected.
Hardly, slavery is not a system based on natural rights.

Quote:
Suffering is caused by authoritarianism and capitalism (expolitation). I'm not talking about owning crap. I'm talking about people having their basic needs met. Nothing has done anything to help that except democracy.
BS, greater freedom paved the way, not "democracy". Those countries that have led the way in technological improvements and production gains had greater freedom than more oppressive systems that fell behind.

Quote:
It's fairer according to the vast majority of people everywhere. That IS democracy my friend.
If this is true, where's your communist revolution? Why do communists have to slaughter or threaten so many people if the vast majority supports your ideology?
Old July 20, 2003, 15:59   #347
Berzerker
Emperor

Templar -
Quote:
You can call it whatever you like, but your idea that a property interest is acquired via admixture of labor with material is John Locke's labor theory of property.
You're the one labeling my views, not me. And you've already said I am "smuggling" something into this theory, so obviously I'm not using said theory.

Quote:
See above, you are using the labor theory (whether you are familiar with the term or not. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, swins like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...
If you see a duck, do you need to "smuggle" something in to make the duck look like a duck?

Quote:
And don't feel bad, Locke himself had to smuggle in first-come-first-serve to further explain his theory.
Well geez, make up your mind. You said I smuggled in first come, first serve, and now you say the theory already contains this principle. And why you accuse Locke of deceit ("smuggling")is quite peculiar, did Newton "smuggle" in something when coming up with his theory of gravity?

Quote:
First-come-first-serve however is not the only possibility. In fact a better criterion might be efficiency. So that even if you built your dirt farm on Greenacre first, my plans for a factory would be a far more efficient use for Greenacre - so I should get Greenacre, even if you were there first.
Is that your position? Do you believe the Nazis had the moral authority to invade other countries if they were able to produce a more efficient economy? The Nazis believed in efficiency and sought to remove undesirables who would reduce efficiency. They didn't believe in natural or property rights either, so are you sure you want to go down that road?

Quote:
It's one thing if the sculptor in my statue example is aware that the gold is stolen. If the sculptor acts in good faith that the gold is not stolen, then the story is different.
Different only in that the sculptor is not the criminal who stole the ore, but that doesn't mean his ignorance now creates a moral claim to the ore.

Quote:
Fair enough. You are predicating a property regime based on the interest generated by labor.
No, based on moral authority and ownership. Labor is merely an extension of ownership in that your labor = part of your life, your time on this planet.

Quote:
The sculptor has a claim to the statue as an entity ontologically distinct from the gold, the miner has the claim to the gold. This would not be a problem except for the fact that the statue's existence is based on the gold. Due to this state of affairs labor theory alone cannot determine to whom the gold belongs - if it belongs to the miner, then the labor of the sculptor is not recognized. If the gold belongs to the sculptor (obviously, the statue as distinct belongs to the sculptor under labor theory), then the labor interest of the miner is ignored.
The ore was stolen, so it doesn't matter if the sculptor labored to make a statue. I already made that clear in both threads... Remember, labor + property = moral claim. The ore was not the sculptor's property...

Quote:
This argument IS how I shot down labor theory. First-come-first-serve is usually inserted as a bulwark against these sorts of hypotheticals. That is, the miner is first with the gold, so his or her labor interest is the controlling labor interest. However, in my statue example, the miner's claim is complicated by the fact that the statue is itself a distinct entity from the gold. So first-come can resolve the controlling interest in the gold, however because the statue is dependent on the gold for existence, the sculptor' labor interest controls the sculpture, and the miner has NO labor interest in the statue itself, even first-come cannot resolve the problem.
If you had read my response in the last thread, you'd see I dealt with this already. By adding labor to the stolen ore, the sculptor loses his "labor interest". First come, first serve - a moral claim to property - is the only way to resolve this morally. The miner was the first, not the sculptor.

Quote:
That's why labor + first-come is insufficient to deal with property.
Why? Certainly not based on what you've said.

Quote:
Obviously in the real world a court would be required to determine the ownership of the gold in such a situation. However, whatever property determination which is made will rely on something beyond labor + first-come. Ergo, property regimes are underdetermined by labor + first-come.
What exactly will the court use for it's determination?

Quote:
UR pointed out that for labor to work, there must be a pre-existing right for a laborer to admix his or her labor with the material. This is why pure labor theory doesn't work - and why even Locke had to smuggle in first-come-first-serve.
If this theory was Locke's, why do you keep accusing him (and me) of "smuggling" in ideas? That's like accusing the man who invented calculus of "smuggling" for using simpler mathematical equations. The laborer's "right" stems from first come, first serve - i.e., a moral claim to property and not stolen materials.

Quote:
You have not made a contradiction, you have used an exploded theory to make your case.
I haven't seen any explosion, but you did say "even" I had to agree with your opposition to conscription as if something I said wrt labor and property meant I should support conscription to be consistent.

Quote:
It would be as if we were discussing physics and you backed your findings with Aristotlian physics. Locke's labor theory is very much in the same position with contemporary property theory. You haven't contradicted yourself, only used obsolete ideas.
You haven't proven contemporary property theory is superior to my argument. Again, what does this have to do with conscription.
Old July 20, 2003, 19:04   #348
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Why would we be paralyzed? Let Congress debate and then we vote. If the nation is under attack that is another matter, but as far as the US in concerned that is usually not the case. Even if the US in under attack the people should be able to decide the terms of peace.
because peole are soooo stupid! do you know that 11% of americans couldnt find america on the map! something like 35% couldnt even find Mexico! you want these people making that large of a percentage of votes in important foreign afairs???

call me an elitist, but I would much prefer harvard grads and PhDs running the country, not ghetto gangsters and trailor park trash. however, ill accept the compromise of college graduate Alabama senators
Old July 20, 2003, 19:11   #349
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
DF

Then the only conclusion of your argument is the tyranny of the majority. 50% + 1 legally lording it over 50% - 1, if it came down to it, able to do anything they wanted to the minority in the name of the "voluntary social contract and good".

Can you read, or did you just not see the "subject to judicial review" part. The majority CANNOT do whatever it wants to the minority. They are bound by the parameters of the Constitution. And before you start talking about how antiquated that document is, remember that it can be, and has been amended. Rediculous to call democracy the tyranny of the majority, and equally rediculous to discuss the 50% + 1 majority that's entirely possible, but never yet happened in 200-odd years.

Templar

I am arguing that your stand on conscription raises questions of your inconsistency on either your moral position on conscription or your moral position on property.

And you would be arguing from an incorrect premise in that case. There's no inconsistency here. Duration IS important, and in fact, defining to me. What's also important is that I had to make a choice....send in my draft card, or not? Play by the rules or buck the system? I chose to accept that the rights, priveleges, and opportunities I have (that are safeguarded for me BY this country) do not come free, and that I may be called on to defend them. I gave the nod to that by sending my draft card in. How was that involuntary? How does that make me a slave? How is a government demand of something (potentially, not absolutely) in return for safeguarding all the wonderful opportunity and freedom we have, immoral? The slightest breeze bowls your arguments over.

DF

Then, as I pointed out earlier, why do we let Conscientious Objectors avoid the draft with no consequences? No one ever addressed that.

-=Vel=-
im in agreement with vel on just about everything, so far

DF, outa curiosity, how would you want things run? You sound like you are totally unsatisfied with our system, tho I think it wotrks well enough, and a HELL of a lot better than most. being around for two-hundred twenty somethn years, and still going strong, it must be doing something right. tho i know your a libertarian, i guess that would answer most of that question...
Old July 20, 2003, 19:38   #350
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

because peole are soooo stupid! do you know that 11% of americans couldnt find america on the map! something like 35% couldnt even find Mexico! you want these people making that large of a percentage of votes in important foreign afairs???

call me an elitist, but I would much prefer harvard grads and PhDs running the country, not ghetto gangsters and trailor park trash. however, ill accept the compromise of college graduate Alabama senators
A person's intelligence is independent of their ability or willingness to make decisions that benefit other people instead of themselves. In short, geniuses aren't necessarily heroes. The only way an elite rule could or would rule in the interest of the People is if they were heros. Find me a hero to be king and I've got no problem. Since no one qualifies I choose the People, as ingorant as some of them are, they are capable of making decisions in their own interest.
Old July 20, 2003, 20:03   #351
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Templar -

Well geez, make up your mind. You said I smuggled in first come, first serve, and now you say the theory already contains this principle. And why you accuse Locke of deceit ("smuggling")is quite peculiar, did Newton "smuggle" in something when coming up with his theory of gravity?
Labor and first-come are separable. Apparently Locke didn't realize this. Nor did you. Its a common mistake.

Quote:
Is that your position? Do you believe the Nazis had the moral authority to invade other countries if they were able to produce a more efficient economy? The Nazis believed in efficiency and sought to remove undesirables who would reduce efficiency. They didn't believe in natural or property rights either, so are you sure you want to go down that road?
Not my position - but labor + efficiency is one possibility, and it does have benefits that first-come cannot insure. But yes, labor + efficiency does have some problems as well.

Not really the issue though. What I am saying is labor theory is itself insufficient. You are claiming that admixing labor with material creates a property interest in the material. I respond that it is insufficient. You counter that first come first serve. I reply that is a separate principle from labor and so you will need to back it up. I also give you the statue example to show you first-come is insufficient to fix the labor theory - thereby saving you the time of thinking of a response.

No, based on moral authority and ownership. Labor is merely an extension of ownership in that your labor = part of your life, your time on this planet.

Quote:
Different only in that the sculptor is not the criminal who stole the ore, but that doesn't mean his ignorance now creates a moral claim to the ore.

The ore was stolen, so it doesn't matter if the sculptor labored to make a statue. I already made that clear in both threads... Remember, labor + property = moral claim. The ore was not the sculptor's property...
But the statue apart from the gold is the property of the sculptor (the fact the the sculptor was ignorant obviates arguments that the sculptor admixed his labor in bad faith. Now if you have a way to separate the statue from the gold, let's hear it.

But you are also saying that labor + property = moral claim? I thought labor was the grounds for making a moral claim to property. Are you now saying two ingredients, labor and property, are required for the moral claim? So now you have to ground property without recourse to labor. You're just making a circular argument.

Quote:
If you had read my response in the last thread, you'd see I dealt with this already. By adding labor to the stolen ore, the sculptor loses his "labor interest". First come, first serve - a moral claim to property - is the only way to resolve this morally. The miner was the first, not the sculptor.
The sculptor cannot lose his interest in the statue considered apart from the gold. That's the whole point. The statue and the gold are ontologically distinct. (If you don't think the two are separable consider the following. (1) you can destroy the statue by melting the gold but the gold remains. (2) You can create an image of the statue without creating an image of the gold). The miner has no claim on the statue - yet his claim to the gold interferes with the sculptor's labor claim. I don't care about the sculptor's interest in the gold - only the statue.

The only way you can hold your position is to elide the difference between the gold and the statue

Quote:
What exactly will the court use for it's determination?
It will depend on case law (common law states) and statutes. But it won't be based purely on labor + first-come.

If this theory was Locke's, why do you keep accusing him (and me) of "smuggling" in ideas? That's like accusing the man who invented calculus of "smuggling" for using simpler mathematical equations. The laborer's "right" stems from first come, first serve - i.e., a moral claim to property and not stolen materials.

Quote:
I haven't seen any explosion, but you did say "even" I had to agree with your opposition to conscription as if something I said wrt labor and property meant I should support conscription to be consistent.
Labor + first-come is underdeterminative of property. See above. An exploded theory.

This started because Vel again appealed to labor theory, and I am tired of repeating these arguments over an over.

You can keep arguing labor theory, but nobody in law or philosophy is going to take you seriously. (Even Nozick - the formost libertarian thinker - says Locke's labor theory is fundamentally flawed).
Old July 20, 2003, 22:06   #352
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

A person's intelligence is independent of their ability or willingness to make decisions that benefit other people instead of themselves. In short, geniuses aren't necessarily heroes. The only way an elite rule could or would rule in the interest of the People is if they were heros. Find me a hero to be king and I've got no problem. Since no one qualifies I choose the People, as ingorant as some of them are, they are capable of making decisions in their own interest.
no, but see, there are verying degrees of interest.

An ignorant person would be like, "oooo, apple, me chop down tree 'cause apples are goooood..."

An educated person would be like, " hmmm... I like apples, but by nurturing the tree, I can have long term growth and production of apples, makeing my net gain of apples appreciable over time..."

In a representative government, people can express interest in apples by electing officials who have apples as part of their platfom. Thru the elected officials, the ignorant masses get their apples, but in a much better way than iff the ignorant masses were to rule.

Now this is a gross simplification, but it serves my point, and the point of others (including our fore-fathers!) who see why direct democracy would fail.

Basically, the ignorant masses running a country is JUST AS BAD, if not worse, than an Ignorant leader running the country. By electing officials and putting our wellfare in their hands, we are best able to maximize our lives. Of course there is a lot of problems with this system, especially when you get int PACs and shady campain contributions, and all other sorts of corruption. But this sort and other forms of coruption would just as easily arise in a direct democracy as well. When there is a way to cheat the system, despite the possible consequences, there will be people who will try to cheat it.
Old July 20, 2003, 22:18   #353
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Plenty to comment on, but with the cold meds running thru my system, I'll catch up with more later...but THIS really got me....

(from Kid)

I LOVE it! So....coming onto land that I bought and paid for with a couple of your thuggish friends and taking it by force for yourself isn't tyrannical (or, doesn't seem so to you, because you--on the other side of the gun--get the benefit via stealing the fruits of my labor). Thus....it benefits "the people" (who are pointing their guns at me). But that's not tyrannical? Kid, do tell...if that ISN"T tyranny, how do you define it, exactly?

"Denying the People to decide their laws it tyrannical."

Yep....and if that's what we were suffering under here in the good ol' USofA, it would be a form of tyranny.

Fortunately, it's not. We elect officials to represent us and our interests. If that seems unfair to you, it is because the views you hold are not held by a sufficient number of people in this country to get anybody who supports them elected, and thus, your views don't actively shape the government. Direct democracy won't fix that....if there aren't enough votes to elect a representive of your views, then there aren't enough votes to sway matters in a direct democracy, either.

And DF....the crux of your argument seems to be that people are....people. To that...all I can say is...D'uh! Yes, people are flawed. They make mistakes. Sometimes our elected officials serve their own interests and to hell with the people who got them elected. It should be noted, however, that unless they keep the voting public happy, they'll likely NOT get re-elected, which rather short-circuits your argument. Besides that, how would adherance to YOUR (rather unique, actually) political ideology magically make people more than they are? That's certainly the implication.....do this, and think this way, and suddenly, the aforementioned flaws you pointed out will no longer apply.

Uh huh....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 20, 2003, 22:21   #354
Velociryx
staff

And welcome to the party, Kman!

-=Vel=-
Old July 20, 2003, 22:32   #355
Velociryx
staff

One more before going back to bed....this, to Templar:

Yep....the "democratic pedigree" as you put it, is absolutely defining. If the majority of the people express their wishes on a matter democratically (either thru representative democracy or direct....doesn't matter), and if it has stood judicial review, then it is "right" for that society.

The draft is like that. It hasn't been used in a while, but the state has reserved that right. It's still on the books, meaning that the majority of folks in this country apparently don't have a problem with it, and nor do the judges.

To your point about being arressted and tossed in the slammer overnight....it happens. And when it does, there's precious little you can do about it. But there's a process to that, and if it is found later that you were the victim of wrongful arrest, there are court-mandated remedies for that.

Further, I DID have a viable choice of not sending my draft card in, because in this country, we do not hunt down and mistreat CO's....meaning that everybody who does not wish to serve has an "out." All they have to do is take it. If you choose to submit your draft card, then don't b*tch when they call your number.

If you object....object, but IF the government (elected by the people) decides to associate consequences WITH such defiance, then also don't be surprised.

Now, there's another sort of conscription (other than what we have on the books in the USA), and that is absolute conscription (ie - you WILL serve, fight, and possibly die, and if you don't, then bad things will happen to you and your family). Yes, that's clearly immoral. It also does not exist in ANY democratically elected government, thus, if that's the sort of conscription you are referring to, then you're arguing against something which does not exist--theoretically, it could....again, IF the majority of the populace of whatever mythic society deemed that an appropriate power of the state, then yes....it would be "right" for them....in that case, I think I'd be choosing the "leave" option, cos it's not a place I'd want to live, personally, but who knows, maybe there are some hard core folks who would like it?

Has it existed? Sure. It may still in some remote, backwater, NON-democratically elected governments, and in that case, it's the system itself that is immoral. The conscription angle is just a symptom of the deeper problem.

-=Vel=-
Old July 20, 2003, 22:36   #356
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
I LOVE it! So....coming onto land that I bought and paid for with a couple of your thuggish friends and taking it by force for yourself isn't tyrannical (or, doesn't seem so to you, because you--on the other side of the gun--get the benefit via stealing the fruits of my labor). Thus....it benefits "the people" (who are pointing their guns at me). But that's not tyrannical? Kid, do tell...if that ISN"T tyranny, how do you define it, exactly?
Just denying you your rights is not oppressive or tyrannical. Tyrannical is cruel and unfair. Redistributing property is not unfair unless the person you take it from ends up with less or is treated unfairly. Extreme capitalism is tyrannical under the dictionary definition. Democratic communism is not.
Old July 20, 2003, 22:40   #357
Velociryx
staff

Denying me my rights is slavery, no matter how you slice it. You can dress it up....take all my stuff and give me a little bit in return, but if you come and take from me, you're going to do it by force, and at that exact moment, you are the tyrannical oppressor.

Taxation is not slavery. I could, if I choose, get a job where I am paid under the table. I have no wish to. I wish to fully participate in this society, and a part of that means paying my taxes. I am not being denied anything in this case, because I have other options and FREELY CHOOSE to enter into a formal employment contract and pay my share of taxes.

In the scenario you describe (coming onto my property and taking to re-distribute as you see fit)....there's no choice there. You are coming, whether I want you to or not.....tyrant.

-=Vel=-
Old July 20, 2003, 22:41   #358
Velociryx
staff

Redistributing property is not unfair unless the person you take it from ends up with less or is treated unfairly.

Do you see the contradiction here?

You are coming onto my property to TAKE from me.

IF you take from me, I WILL end up with less. That's kinna the point of the taking part, see?

-=Vel=-
Old July 20, 2003, 22:43   #359
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Redistributing property is not unfair unless the person you take it from ends up with less or is treated unfairly.

Do you see the contradiction here?

You are coming onto my property to TAKE from me.

IF you take from me, I WILL end up with less. That's kinna the point of the taking part, see?

-=Vel=-
No. When you take from me and I already have less, that's tyranny. If you have more and I take enough so that we have the same, that's fair.
Old July 20, 2003, 22:45   #360
Velociryx
staff

No. If you want more, go out and work for it, just like I did. If you can't be arsed to, then don't come take mine just because of that. That's called STEALING.

-=Vel=-