Old July 16, 2003, 00:08   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Attn: Gathering Storm and Legoland
Please note the free wine.

Cheers!

Old July 16, 2003, 00:11   #2
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Nice!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:11   #3
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 21:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't forget, Vox may want a piece of the action too!!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old July 16, 2003, 00:13   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Hell, Neu Demogyptica might even want a piece of that action...
Old July 16, 2003, 00:15   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Its great fun to be on the sidelines this time around.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:21   #6
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Arnelos, you seem to have forgotton something
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gow propaganda2.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	49846  
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:33   #7
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Panzer32 also forgot something. It's a shame I know his country better than him. Maybe I should come to reclaim the throne of GoW!

In any case, I don't want to scare off any potential Lego/ND/GS/Vox attack on GoW, but this must be known!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old July 16, 2003, 00:40   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:44
Wow, this is getting interesting quickly. It's a good thing we Voxians aren't in to all that war stuff.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:49   #9
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 23:44
Perhaps it's lucky that GoW had all that wine... a few drinks and she probably doesn't look all that bad.
Old July 16, 2003, 09:11   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
Perhaps it's lucky that GoW had all that wine... a few drinks and she probably doesn't look all that bad.
Note that the blonde bearded "woman" is the daughter of House Togas that was given to Panzer32 in marriage.

HISTORICAL SIDE NOTE:
The REAL reason GhengisFarb is no longer Emperor of GoW... hmmm..... ultimate power at the price of marrying the ugliest woman on Bob....... hmmm.......

(Panzer32 speaks up) "I'll do it! An ugly woman is better than no woman! I'll do it!"

GhengisFarb now understands why MrWhereItsAt likes the sheep..............

I would post a rebuttal to Arnie's "treasure map" but my computer is busy downloading updates for my Poser program, so it will have to wait.

Kudos on Arnie's return, we missed having a worthy adversary to trade dialogue with.
Old July 16, 2003, 21:30   #11
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Warmonger Women...

Lydia, O Lydia,
Say have you met Lydia?
O Lydia the Taaaatoooooo-ed Lady!

And, when that's not bad enough...

Tonight, folks, we have 'The World's Tallest Midget' right next to 'The World's Smallest Giant'... And in the center ring is Priscilla the Monkey Girl!

(In other words, does anyone get the impression from these discussions of Chinese ladies that the whole country is a big circus?)
Old July 16, 2003, 21:32   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Warmonger Women...

Lydia, O Lydia,
Say have you met Lydia?
O Lydia the Taaaatoooooo-ed Lady!

And, when that's not bad enough...

Tonight, folks, we have 'The World's Tallest Midget' right next to 'The World's Smallest Giant'... And in the center ring is Priscilla the Monkey Girl!

(In other words, does anyone get the impression from these discussions of Chinese ladies that the whole country is a big circus?)
If we're the circus, you're the concession stand.

"Step right up! Get your Silk on a Stick! Spices of all Flavors! Fried Ivory Tusks! Get your Fried Ivory Tusks!"
Old July 16, 2003, 21:38   #13
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Ivory tusks? Take my word on that, they are bad. Our ancient alchemists used to try and turn them into a healthy snack for the whole family, but all of the average Spanish families selected to try them out died horribly slow and painful deaths...

Ah well. That's how it goes.

You Chinese won't like them either. Especially when they are half a world apart from your own lands and you haven't the guys to hold on to them.

Hey! Siddown! Here comes Jojo the Dog Boy!!
Old July 19, 2003, 22:12   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Hey! Siddown! Here comes Jojo the Dog Boy!!
So that's your nickname for Lady Togas!
Old July 21, 2003, 11:15   #15
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:44
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
"Step right up! Get your Silk on a Stick! Spices of all Flavors! Fried Ivory Tusks! Get your Fried Ivory Tusks!"
I finally understood why GoW is after RP... yeah it took a while, but hey, people can be slow in the weekend, no?

They're Chinese, and what is the only reason Chinese need ivory tusks for? Right: aphrodisiacs. Which I would need too if I had to marry women like that

GF, you know there are other solutions right? Garlic, crushed tiger bones, bird-nest soup,...

DeepO
Old July 21, 2003, 12:04   #16
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 21, 2003, 13:27   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
GF, you know there are other solutions right? Garlic, crushed tiger bones, bird-nest soup,...

DeepO
There are no tigers except Togas' Big Scary Cat which we have never found, no garlic, and GodKing refuses to trade us his Exotic Birds luxury.
Old July 21, 2003, 14:36   #18
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If all else fails, you could always put a sac over her head. That is, if she isn't half male down there too

DeepO
Old July 21, 2003, 14:52   #19
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
If all else fails, you could always put a sac over her head. That is, if she isn't half male down there too

DeepO

listen to DeepO on this, he would know. Check for small packages.
Old July 21, 2003, 14:58   #20
DeepO
Emperor

hey, this is book-wisdom, not first hand experience!

(I'm far from Chinese, BTW)

DeepO
Old July 21, 2003, 15:08   #21
badams52
King

obviously, if you weren't I'd be guessing your opinion regarding chinese women would be different.
Old July 21, 2003, 15:27   #22
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Exotic Birds.

Me? You must be joking. Of course, the plumage of those exotic birds is what must be meant…. But wait one.

In ancient Rome, a delicacy was the lightly fried tongue of flamingo. Kinda hard to take the tongue and not the rest of the bird…

In ancient Persia, they made a pastry out of “[a]n unknown bird, imported from lands beyond…” Clearly an indication that exotic birds were a traded commodity.

In the lands of the Inka, the Sapa Inka was crowned not with what we would consider a crown royal, but of something made with gold wire and decorated with a couple of parrot feathers.

The Aztec nobles wore cloaks made of feathers. Something the conquistadors commented about most profusely.

The nobles of Western Europe through the dark ages imported many exotic birds, at first to provide a splash of colour, as the feathers even in death rarely faded even after years. Then birds were brought in to make exotic dishes. Check the menus of Louis the IX (IIRC) and you will see many interesting recipes. Menageries of birds were almost common among the nobility up until Victorian times.

A popular sport among the wealthy was bird hunting – duck, pheasant, grouse, etc. Sure, you might consider some of these birds common, but not everybody has seen a duck, nor of the many species that are out there, many of which are brightly coloured.

So, if you want some birds, I am more than happy to trade them. Just ignore that bit of ectoplasm on the feathers….. Of course, the price is going to be relatively good also – just destroy a total of 6 population points of ND cities, 2 or 3 cities is all. A bargain for the deal. I would shake on it, but being dead and all it is not like you can actually touch my hand.

Ghost of GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 21, 2003, 15:52   #23
DeepO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
The Aztec nobles wore cloaks made of feathers. Something the conquistadors commented about most profusely.
A little bit off topic, but still kind of strange... the bird Aztecs worshipped most were chickens, and indeed the conquistadores commented in great detail about them. Not because they were so exotic, but because the black chickens used in many rituals (eating them was considered blasphemy) were so common... everything else was very exotic. Which of course made them stand out.

Only a few years ago, it became common knowledge where these chickens came from: a Chinese armada had imported them in 1421, years before the first Europeans 'discovered' America.

So we have chickens being imported by Chinese, 'discovered' by conquistadores, and now the Chinese are asking them back?

DeepO
Old July 21, 2003, 16:56   #24
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 06:44
Lol, noone seriously beleives that the America's were 'discovered' so late. In fact the native Americans would have found it many years before

Nevertheless, Columbus was the first to widely publicise its existance in Europe and therefore gets the credit...
Old July 21, 2003, 17:27   #25
History Guy
King

*cough*

DeepO, 1421 is universally reknowned as one of the most untrustworthy history books on the market today. Menzies puts forward his theories with no real tangible evidence to support it. It's rather ridiculous. Take it from a history guy, don't cite 1421...

All my best,
History Guy,
A History Guy
Old July 21, 2003, 17:39   #26
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

[talk-show host voice & pose]
"So, who did discover America? We'll find out after these messages. Don't go away!" *audience applauds*
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 21, 2003, 18:01   #27
DeepO
Emperor

Ah, I grant you that, History guy... but at least his explanation of events is more plausable then the reports of Atlantis or aliens being responsible for the found maps (e.g. the Pirii Reis map).

He is not the only source, though... there are also more academic sources which basically mention the same things, it's just that Menzies brought it all together in some sort of novel like book. I still like it, even if it may not be the most accurate source

(BTW, where did the chickens came from then? Egypt? )

DeepO
Old July 21, 2003, 18:10   #28
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by redstar1
Nevertheless, Columbus was the first to widely publicise its existance in Europe and therefore gets the credit...
Columbus, the forerunner of Bill Gates, the Hype-master of the Spanish Main.

"The Americas, yeah I discovered them, don't know why they didn't name em after me. Don't know where the people came from, but if you want a piece of the action all you gotta do is sign this licensing agreement........."