Old July 18, 2003, 00:40   #61
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh...and I love how you all want to blame W, for a regime which is a bad actor and should have had its wings clipped years ago when it would have been easier. Same deal as with Iraq. And same deal with the bubble. Typical Clinton crap.
Old July 18, 2003, 00:45   #62
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Oh...and I love how you all want to blame W, for a regime which is a bad actor and should have had its wings clipped years ago when it would have been easier. Same deal as with Iraq. And same deal with the bubble. Typical Clinton crap.
i'm not blaming w for the situation. i'm blaming him for exacerbating it.
if gore were in power, we'd still have this same ***** of an affair.
if we'd had the balls, we'd've given macarthur free reign to smash those damned stalinists and maoists.
we didn't.
now we need a much better, much more coherent and clear policy on dealing with the north, one which is not forthcoming from the bush administration.
ignoring this will not make it go away, just as not calling it a crisis didn't change the fact that it was a crisis.

i'm sorry if you're so mad that people have been ragging on bush. i can't say i feel that bad for you, because american politics in the last twelve years have been even dirtier and nastier than i remember the 80s being.
Old July 18, 2003, 00:47   #63
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
Quote:
if we'd had the balls, we'd've given macarthur free reign to smash those damned stalinists and maoists.
I thought you were against seeing the Korean Peninsula turned to glass?

Quote:
now we need a much better, much more coherent and clear policy on dealing with the north, one which is not forthcoming from the bush administration.
Why don't you tell us what your "coherent and clear policy" would be in regards to the North? I'm all ears.
Old July 18, 2003, 00:48   #64
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

He is doing the right thing by letting Kim jump up and down. People like you who want to react are helping Kim and not helping the situation. The way to grasp a nettle is firmly. Keep your eye on the ball. We have very little ability to "manipulate" the NK. The current policy is better than public reaction which exacerbates the pressure that they are already trying to put on us, to get a bribe. No point in making public remarks. It only hurts us. This is a big stick, small words time.
Old July 18, 2003, 00:50   #65
DarthVeda
Emperor

Frankly I'd love to see the NK regime try something. Scratch one more off that axis of evil. Dubya is like a superhero, freeing the world from evil!

And technically we are still in a state of war with North Korea. A permanent peace treaty was never signed.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:02   #66
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
I thought you were against seeing the Korean Peninsula turned to glass
i'm against seeing the korean peninsula turned into glass.
i have much less of a problem seeing manchuria turned into glass. macarthur wanted nukes to beat off the chinese by hitting them in their home territory, expanding the war from just the peninsula.
sounds callous, yes, but in my eyes it would have been worth it to have a unified, democratic korea.

Quote:
Why don't you tell us what your "coherent and clear policy" would be in regards to the North? I'm all ears.
from a post in the other thread, this is my take on it:
if you're talking about my disdain for bush, it's because i want bush to come up with a very clear policy on how to deal with the north. this ignoring them bit obviously isn't working. i don't think acting belligerent to the north will help matters either. i don't think we should cave into their demands for more aid unless it's coupled with a very clear reciprocation on their part which can be independently--and rigorously--verified. i think this interdiction is a good idea. and i think bush should send an envoy for bilateral talks, with multilateral observers.

Quote:
He is doing the right thing by letting Kim jump up and down. People like you who want to react are helping Kim and not helping the situation. The way to grasp a nettle is firmly. Keep your eye on the ball. We have very little ability to "manipulate" the NK. The current policy is better than public reaction which exacerbates the pressure that they are already trying to put on us, to get a bribe. No point in making public remarks. It only hurts us. This is a big stick, small words time.
we'll just have to agree to disagree. i will admit i've got a bias here, that of not wanting to see the peninsula dissolve into war again and possibly losing my extended family (the ones i know of and the lost ones in the north).

Quote:
Frankly I'd love to see the NK regime try something.
i wouldn't, simply because of the reason i list above.

Quote:
And technically we are still in a state of war with North Korea. A permanent peace treaty was never signed.
yes, yes we are. which gives us a lot more freedom.
i will never understand why skorea put so many of its eggs so close to the dmz. that eliminates our freedom.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:07   #67
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
and i think bush should send an envoy for bilateral talks, with multilateral observers.
Bilateral talks are horrible policy for the U.S. Engaging in them would once again place all the responsiblity for controlling North Korea on America and would allow South Korea, Japan and China to continue free-riding. Bush is doing the right thing; make it clear that only multilateral negotiations will be accepted and then wait for the powers in Asia to get off their asses and take some responsibility. It's their region, so they should have to bear some of the burden for controlling the black sheep of East Asia.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:22   #68
Q Classic
Emperor

the only big issue i see with allowing the east asians to take the lead is that they're scared of going one way and finding that they're not backed by america. they don't want to be left high and dry, so their hesitance, as i see it, is somewhat understandable.

"let the big kid handle it"--they want to pass the buck.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:24   #69
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It would be stupid of America to let them "pass the buck." We can't take care of every problem in the world.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:32   #70
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
the only big issue i see with allowing the east asians to take the lead is that they're scared of going one way and finding that they're not backed by america. they don't want to be left high and dry, so their hesitance, as i see it, is somewhat understandable.

Is leaving them on their own, "high and dry"? They want help, they can ask for it nicely. Enough with the spoiled children biching at mommy and then expecting to get treats.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:35   #71
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Enough with the spoiled children biching at mommy and then expecting to get treats.
Amen to that. God knows we don't want our Asian allies to turn out like our European ones.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:35   #72
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Q-cubed, you don't let a bully make you change your policy too quickly (or at all). That makes you a punk. You have some really crappy ideas. Like bilateral negotiations. That would only make sense if we had freedom of action (i.e. that the SK, Japs would back us in whatever we do). Really bad idea.

You can't let your unhappiness with the situation make you lose sight of the cold realities. Letting a punk make you dance helps nothing.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:36   #73
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
It would be stupid of America to let them "pass the buck." We can't take care of every problem in the world.
which is the single bright spot in all of bush's efforts in the region, to try and convince the others to come in.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:38   #74
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Q-cubed, you don't let a bully make you change your policy too quickly (or at all).
bush's policy towards nkorea, if you haven't noticed, has flip-flopped a few times during his tenure...
if he went with one policy and stuck it it, we'd've been a lot better off.

we'll disagree on the bilateral negotiations bit. i think it's a good idea until we can finally convince the others to join in by carrot-and-stick diplomacy.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:43   #75
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Q-cubed, you don't let a bully make you change your policy too quickly (or at all).
bush's policy towards nkorea, if you haven't noticed, has flip-flopped a few times during his tenure...
if he went with one policy and stuck it it, we'd've been a lot better off.

we'll disagree on the bilateral negotiations bit. i think it's a good idea until we can finally convince the others to join in by carrot-and-stick diplomacy.
Pathetic. What will it accomplish. Rediculous. Counterproductive.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:43   #76
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It's a difficult foreign policy problem that has taken several suprising turns. I'd be much more worried if Bush's foreign policy hadn't changed.

Quote:
We would never convince the others to jump on board after we started bilateral negotiations. Why would they stick their necks out to solve the problem when the U.S. was already commited? Much easier to let the "big kid" take care of everything once again.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:44   #77
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

it should be obvious that we have much more leverage to get the other players onboard BEFORE we start bilateral talks than after they are underway. You really are naive.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:46   #78
Q Classic
Emperor

this:
Quote:
is a direct response to this:
Quote:
(sigh) i'm tired of this. i can't convince you, and you won't convince me. let's let this thread die and let preconceptions live on.

and i realize we have more leverage before. but we're not going to stop this from getting worse unless we get in there now.

i'm not naive. from what i know, and how i believe things are laid out right there right now, it's the best solution that i've come to.

you're more than welcome to disagree. it doesn't matter anyhow, because we're not the ones who'll ultimately decide the policy.
Old July 18, 2003, 02:08   #79
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 23:45
If I were Bush, this is what I'd do: I would accept bilateral negotiations with North Korea. But here comes the three catches:

1. Before negotiations even begin, NK would allow full access to its nuclear facilities by the appropriate UN personnel.

2. At the same time, NK would cease any nuclear activities related to weapons — verifiable, of course, by the same UN personnel as described above.

3. With the negotiations under way, I would be quite blunt: I am willing to overlook this entire treaty-abrogating episode, NK, but only if you agree to go back to the terms of the 1994 Framework Agreement *amended* so that there's more than just two UN personnel in Pyongyang to ensure you're following the terms of that agreement to the damn letter. NK must also avail itself of the offers of help that have come from across the planet.

That's our offer from these negotiations, NK. Go back to 1994 or risk it all for the very likely chance you will no longer be in power by the middle of 2004, Mr. Kim.

So, I have no problem with "bilateral negotiations." The only thing is, it's back to the 1994 Framework Agreement or nothing. You can't expect to cave in to NK, give them *more* than what they had in 1994, and expect them to follow any new agreement for any longer than they think it might benefit them. At which point, they'd pull the same crap again — gimme, gimme, gimme, or we'll sell nukes and/or make life a living hell for the rest of the world.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old July 18, 2003, 20:43   #80
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Gatekeeper, the negotiations would never happen then.
Old July 18, 2003, 20:59   #81
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

ok Q.
Old July 18, 2003, 21:28   #82
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I'm inclined to wait it out some. Take an opportunity if it's offered free of charge. Quietly line up world opinion for interdiction of all NK cargo. Use the implicit threat of nuclearization of our allies to incentivize China. Exert constant low-level military pressure on NK. IOW, what Bush is doing now.

About the clarity of Bush's policy, all I have to say is that US policy is clearer than any other country's in the area.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 18, 2003, 22:16   #83
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sometimes, I get the impression people like to just ***** abouyt us. They ***** when we don't go to war. They ***** when we do.
Old July 20, 2003, 02:50   #84
DanS
Deity

Then they accuse us of being inconsistent in both circumstances.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 20, 2003, 11:49   #85
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They're like little children who complain when Daddy isn't perfect.
Old July 20, 2003, 19:29   #86
Kramerman
Prince

everybody is an idiot

that was easier than i thought
Old July 20, 2003, 19:30   #87
Kramerman
Prince

if we all chant "everyone is an idot" together, and hold hands, it would be an exdellent bonding excersize for teh forum
Old July 21, 2003, 01:12   #88
DanS
Deity

No thanks. Not everyone is an idiot. They should know better and be more self critical rather than being kneejerk Americritics.

Last edited by DanS; July 21, 2003 at 01:54.
Old July 21, 2003, 01:16   #89
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
i have much less of a problem seeing manchuria turned into glass. macarthur wanted nukes to beat off the chinese by hitting them in their home territory, expanding the war from just the peninsula.
sounds callous, yes, but in my eyes it would have been worth it to have a unified, democratic korea.
Would it have been democratic? It's only become so in the last ten years.

Anyways, the use of nukes by the US on China would very likely have resulted in the use of nukes in Europe by the Soviets.

I certainly would not have wanted to see WWIII over Korea. It's just not important enough to destroy the world over.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 21, 2003, 02:25   #90
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 21:45
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Would it have been democratic? It's only become so in the last ten years.

Anyways, the use of nukes by the US on China would very likely have resulted in the use of nukes in Europe by the Soviets.

I certainly would not have wanted to see WWIII over Korea. It's just not important enough to destroy the world over.
No, it would not be worth it, IF it ends up starting another WWIII. But i believe Q was only considering the nuclear damages without causing WIII. Perhaps nuking Manchuria could be better, if it results Unified Korea without creating another WW. I believe this is what Q meant.