Old July 16, 2003, 09:52   #1
BobV
Settler

Local Time: 05:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Polution Getting You Down?
Am I the only one who finds the anmount of polution introduced to to latter stages of the game a drag? Don't get me wrong in general I really love this game but I also feel like some political statement was being made (man=polution) and sooner or later 100% of all man's effort will be needed to keep up with polution. I'll get down off the box now. (i think there is a game editor or somthing to resolve this)
Old July 16, 2003, 10:14   #2
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:47
Build mass transits and recycling centres. Switch to non polluting power stations (preferably build the Hoover Dam). That will sort out your pollution.

To deal with the pollution from the AI civs is simple. Crush them!

After you have railroaded everything, what else do your workers have to do except clean pollution?
Old July 16, 2003, 11:49   #3
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't mind the pollution. It seems realistic to me. What I don't like is the terrain changes from "Global Warming". First I don't find it realistic, and second, from a gameplay aspect, you are being punished for something you have only limited control over. I have been in games where my cities were improved with the anti-pollution improvements but the AI civs continue to massively pollute thus MY terrain changes due to global warming.

So, I edited the game so that there are no terrain changes due to global warming. I made no changes to pollution, so that can still be a problem if you don't do anything about it.
"Slander, lies, character assassination--these things are a threat to every single citizen everywhere in this country. And when even one American--who has done nothing wrong--is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril" - Harry S. Truman, Address at the Dedication of the New Washington Headquarters of the American Legion, August 14, 1951

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Old July 16, 2003, 12:20   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:47
I did exactly the same thing. I could tolerate the global warming in Civ 2 because there were ways to reverse it (solar plants) and ways to correct it effects (engineering -- transform). Since neither option is available in Civ III all I can do when it happens is get depressed.

That's when I go and find something less depressing to do.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 16, 2003, 13:12   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
I have dislike global warming as well in the game. I played AU402 to 205 and only hd two tiles get hit and one of them was a forrested tundra, so it was no issue.
I think that was due to the low land to water ratio. In most games play very late into the game it is more of an issue. It is not as bad as it was in CivII.
Yes I know that what others in the world do can impact the rest, but I do not want it in the game.
I wold like to see if as terraformable or a preference selection to disable warming (not needing the editor).
Old July 18, 2003, 23:38   #6
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:47
It would be much cooler if the diplomacy was more detailed and you could maybe create worldwide environmental treaties (such as x amount of recycling centers per city) and pressure other civs into signing them. Global warming is realistic but happens too early IMO.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 18, 2003, 23:40   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Oh, there are many things I would allow diplomacy to do if it were up to me.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 19, 2003, 13:04   #8
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:47
of course it's frustating having global warming because the AI doesn't clean up.

but it's completely realistic:
because externalities can't be quantified, a nation may be tempted to ignore their problems because they profit 100% of the gains and only face a fraction of the disadvantages.

if the global warming problems would just have a regional effect, every existing nation would care about pollution!
Old July 19, 2003, 13:09   #9
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:47
Sabrewolf is right. But in real life, many nations care about global warming. I guess when you play MP you can make environmental demands to other human players.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 19, 2003, 19:01   #10
bobbo008
Prince

my main pet peeve is that after i clean up each polluted square, i've got to zoom to the city and place a citizen back on the square.
Old July 20, 2003, 10:40   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

try one to play true some mod's in the editor , set the basic terrain value for the pollution back to the terrain itself , ......

it works great

have a nice day
Old July 20, 2003, 14:07   #12
bobbo008
Prince

the other thing i hate, is that when i play huge maps (300x300), its hard to find the pollution. lets say i'm in the modern age and the population of most cities has "peaked". When pollution streaks, there will not be enough food, so i can zoom out on the map and find whichever city(/ies) has a red population number. When pollution gets on a mountain square, there is no food there so population isn't threatened, just the laborer on the mountain is changed into some specialty citizen like tax collector. then, i have to find the pollution which is hard since it blends in with mountains somewhat. thank god at least for f11...
Old July 20, 2003, 14:37   #13
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

well, there are four other (more or less useful) possibilities which come in mind:

1. use CTRL-p or SHIFT-p (i'm not sure which). this of course only works if there's pollution on the same continent as the worker you told to do so. of course, railroad every tile in every each city's radius

2. use CRTL-SHIFT-n to say what things to hide when you cleap the map (with CTRL-SHIFT-m). this trick isn't documented, but someone once discovered it and posted it here. i'm not sure anymore if you can set pollution seperately...

3. zoom out (Z), and thoroughly look for an that orange spot.

4. edit the pollution-overlay-PCX-file (somewhere in the ART forder). there, change the color or the shape of the pollution to see it better when zooming out.

and last, my no very helpful tip: don't play 300x300 games
Old July 20, 2003, 15:21   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, you could indeed change polution into deep red or so , ....

lets hope they change this with c3c

but dont you get to see the tile when pollution strikes in a city radius , .....

have a nice day
Old July 20, 2003, 16:17   #15
bobbo008
Prince

"but dont you get to see the tile when pollution strikes in a city radius"

huh? i'm saying it is "camoflauged" (sp?) in the mountains.

"use CTRL-p or SHIFT-p"

thank you, thats one i didnt try

"and last, my no very helpful tip: don't play 300x300 games"

i've currently got:
350 mech infantry
300 modern armor
100 radar artillary
100 stealth bombers
30 battleships

and since all the techs are researched, i get 9500 gpt on top of my 400,000 gold treasury
Old July 20, 2003, 17:20   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
huh? i'm saying it is "camoflauged" (sp?) in the mountains.
He means at the beginning of a turn. You know, when there's the little text thingy that says "there's pollution here!" basically?
Old July 28, 2003, 03:22   #17
ruthless
Settler

pollution is a problem for me also and its a pain to clean...but this does help a lot.

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
Build mass transits and recycling centres. Switch to non polluting power stations (preferably build the Hoover Dam). That will sort out your pollution.

To deal with the pollution from the AI civs is simple. Crush them!

After you have railroaded everything, what else do your workers have to do except clean pollution?
Old July 28, 2003, 16:50   #18
justjake73
Prince

Does anyone else notice that the more you reduce pollution, the more often it seems to appear? I have had civs with recycling centers and mass transit and the Hoover Dam, the largest city produces like 3-4 pollution but the squares pop up like weeds!!
and in the darkness bind them.
Old July 28, 2003, 18:03   #19
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 06:47
In a recent game I had several jungle squares turn into grassland due to global warming so as far as Im concerned keep on poluting baby.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old July 28, 2003, 18:57   #20
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 05:47
If you really don't want to experience pollution, keep your cities at size 12. Population pollution seems to be more problematic than production pollution.
Old July 28, 2003, 19:21   #21
sabrewolf
Emperor

size 12 cities are a lot less productive and "point-giving" than large cities. it's better to lose a few grassland tiles and have a great nation than castrating your population to not exceed 12.
and even then you'll experience global warming because the AI doesn't care too much...
Old July 28, 2003, 21:56   #22
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes you can not afford to stay at size 12 to avoid pollution. Try to build a wonder at 12 instead of 22 for say Apollo.