Old July 16, 2003, 22:50   #1
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apple Beats Expectations, LindowsOS Gets Major Overhaul!
http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-1026425.html

Looks like something's catchin' on. . . It's about freakin' time! GO APPLE!!!

NOTE: Despite a downturn in the stock market today, Apple shares were up $0.29 to $19.87 and was up to $20.15 in after-hours trading. Only a few months ago Apple stock was in the $12 range. Apple stock is starting to look good in a struggling economy. It was even mentioned on CNN.com today.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/937066.asp

LindowsOS 4.0 was recently released and is very much improved over its previous versions. Not to mention that Lindows.com, the maker of LindowsOS, has sold over 300,000 copies of LindowOS since it was released almost one year ago. That's pretty good considering that Lindows.com is still a startup. LindowsOS runs some Windows-compatible software on it (such as Office 2000), but there really is no need for it as many alternative products such as StarOffice and Lindows Office (based on StarOffice) will also run on it; these programs are very much like M$ Office and can open and save documents in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint formats. Also, WineX 3.1 (from Transgaming), which will run 250 Windows-compatible games on Linux, will soon be available for LindowsOS; in time no one will be able to say that Windows is the ONLY ideal platform to run PC games on). LindowsOS retails for only $49--a bargain compared to price of Windows!

In the meantime, Lycoris, a new company that distributes the Lycoris OS (a product very much like LindowsOS), has recently entered the Desktop Linux Market. Lycoris Desktop/LX retails for only $29, but somewhat lacks the hardware and software support that LindowsOS 4.0 offers (I figure they're a new company; give them some time. ). This could be a very good thing because it means that there is direct competition against LindowsOS and that will drive up innovation and bring down prices even lower!

Both LindowsOS and Lycoris are distributed on Microtel computers through Walmart.com. You can also get these operating systems through the Lindows.com and Lycoris.com websites or from a participating reseller.

Things sure are looking good for Linux these days. WAY TO GO LINDOWS.COM AND LYCORIS FOR TWO AWESOME ALTERNATIVES TO MICRO$UCK$ WINBLOWS!!!

You know I just love alternative operating systems to Windows. Anything that undermines the dominant evil Wintel world, well, I'm all for it! I do believe that PCs have there place in the market, though. They are for people who want cheap computers that get the job done, but of course, not without all the headaches. Of course, if you want a PC that's even cheaper than a Windows PC for a great value, get a PC with LindowsOS preinstalled! You won't regret it!

NOTE: I am not looking forward to reading any of Asher's replies to this topic and I shall refuse to do so. I will not even reply to them, but I will reply to posts from others. As you may not already know, I recently put Asher on my ignore list for very good reasons. Also on my ignore list is Sava, for very good reasons as well. And thirdly, Fez is on my ignore list. For the sake of peace, I shall not comment any further on this publicly. No offense intended.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; July 16, 2003 at 23:01.
Old July 16, 2003, 22:52   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'll stick with Windows XP, thank you very much. I love it so .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 16, 2003, 22:57   #3
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:48
Apple is still losing market share despite its rising stock market price.

I am sticking with Windows 2000 PRO for the time being.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:00   #4
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

ten dollars on asher posting here within the next half hour.
Albert Speer
Old July 16, 2003, 23:00   #5
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Apple is still losing market share despite its rising stock market price.
Yet again, Apple is doomed. They've been doomed for 10 years now and they are still here.

OK

8.2% of Americans who surf the web do so using a Mac.

23 percent of TV/Broadcast firms use Apple computers.

More than 57% of web sites that ise video use Apple's QuickTime to deliver it.

Over 18% of all software is sold for the Macintosh.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:01   #6
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
twenty dollars on him spouting some worthless piece of ignorance.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:02   #7
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Yet again, Apple is doomed. They've been doomed for 10 years now and they are still here.

OK

Cite my good friend.

Apple wasn't doomed ten years ago. They made some errors and have paid dearly for it. They have been steadily losing market share.

57% of websites use video use Apples quicktime? I don't think so. Actually most use Realplayer/Realone.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:03   #8
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Who'd be dumb enough to take the bet?

If you really want to prove something, predict the argument he'll use to downplay this news.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:04   #9
Giancarlo
King

Well he should bring up, Intel stock is doing very well too and that Intel has beaten expectations... I don't care much for intel.. but he does...
Old July 16, 2003, 23:05   #10
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Intel and Apple aren't competitors.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:05   #11
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Apple wasn't doomed ten years ago. They made some errors and have paid dearly for it. They have been steadily losing market share.
But way more people use computers now than used them 10 years ago - so in sheer numbers they are doing OK.

Look Apple competes in the education, home use and high end pro video/graphics markets, and that's it.

I personally don't think they'll ever get over 5% share, all we can hope for is that Linux destroys the Windows monopoly. Then computer users will be able to benefit from real competition.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:07   #12
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

But way more people use computers now than used them 10 years ago - so in sheer numbers they are doing OK.
Actually that is not true.

Quote:
Look Apple competes in the education, home use and high end pro video/graphics markets, and that's it.
Yes they do. But how well? Their technology is antiquated right now. The failure to boost their CPUs in recent years have led to further market downfall.

Quote:
I personally don't think they'll ever get over 5% share, all we can hope for is that Linux destroys the Windows monopoly. Then computer users will be able to benefit from real competition.
A communist talking about competition?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:07   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
When do Mac users get to benefit from real competition?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old July 16, 2003, 23:08   #14
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:48
While all of Agathons quotes are impressive....

1) I wish for Agathon to quite the WINTEL percentages for those, and then compare the two

2)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jana.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	49891  
Old July 16, 2003, 23:08   #15
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Intel and Apple aren't competitors.
Actually that is the problem for Apple. There is no one company making PCs using Intel or AMD CPUs. That is a major problem for Apple.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:09   #16
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
When do Mac users get to benefit from real competition?
We don't now? We could always switch to Windows if we wanted to or, more likely, lost our minds.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:10   #17
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Already on it.

Other interesting tidbits: MS won the massive Homeland Security bit. Big surprise there. It's huge news to people like Urban Ranger when Berlin invests $1M in Linux desktops, but it's not that big of a deal when MS wins a $500M or $120M contract.

Cloud9 also conveniently forgets to mention that Apple's profits are actually on a decline compared to last year...and last year was far worse economically than this year.

Intel beat expectations too, and totally dwarfs Apple as can be expected. Net income was $896M on revenues of $6.8B due to unexpectedly high Pentium 4 (and Pentium M) sales due to AMD's "unexpected*" suckiness. Next quarter, Intel expects $6.9B-$7.5B in revenue as well as higher profit margins, so ~$1B in profit.

And AMD once again proved it is a poorly managed company, with another net loss of $140M on revenues of $600M. (down from revenues of $715M last quarter ) AMD ain't even close to being in the same league.

Unexpected is in quotes because I've been saying that would happen the entire time.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:10   #18
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Actually that is the problem for Apple. There is no one company making PCs using Intel or AMD CPUs. That is a major problem for Apple.
Surely I'm not the only one who cannot make sense of this statement?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:11   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
We could always switch to Windows if we wanted to or, more likely, lost our minds
But don't you guys argue that Apple computers are a different market entirely and not like PCs?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:12   #20
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But don't you guys argue that Apple computers are a different market entirely and not like PCs?
I don't.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:12   #21
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Surely I'm not the only one who cannot make sense of this statement?
Let me clarify.. it was ambigious... Apple is the only one manufacturing its computer right? Well in the PC market, there is Gateway, IBM, and various others who manufacture computers.

Now does it make sense?

Asher, Intel is out of my price range, so I am sticking with AMD.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:13   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:

OK

I call bullshit!
/me kicks you in the groin for thinking everyone here is dumb enough to buy into that.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:14   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Asher, Intel is out of my price range, so I am sticking with AMD.
Are things really that different in California?

I'll quote local prices for you (CDN$):
Athlon XP 3200+: $669.95
P4 3.0GHz: $599.95

And the 3.0GHz P4 is actually faster on average...
Old July 16, 2003, 23:15   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I don't.
You should . 5% market share isn't something to get excited about if you consider yourself in the same market .
Old July 16, 2003, 23:15   #25
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:48
How ironic that a Linux Geek comes in here and presents Lindows as an alternative to Microsoft. A wannabe Linux distro that owes its meager "success" to COPYING MICROSOFT'S INTERFACE.

Get it through your head. Nobody uses Linux. It sucks. A toy. The only reason companies use it is because they are all broke right now and can't afford anything else.

Though Linux Geeks will continue to post silly little news stories in hopes that their zealot OS finally "beats the bad guy."

Been posting hopeless stories like these since 1995!

Mis Novias
Old July 16, 2003, 23:16   #26
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
5% market share isn't something to get excited about if you consider yourself in the same market.
I don't care about market-share. I just know which OS I like better.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:17   #27
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
How ironic that a Linux Geek comes in here and presents Lindows as an alternative to Microsoft. A wannabe Linux distro that owes its meager "success" to COPYING MICROSOFT'S INTERFACE.

Get it through your head. Nobody uses Linux. It sucks. A toy. The only reason companies use it is because they are all broke right now and can't afford anything else.

Though Linux Geeks will continue to post silly little news stories in hopes that their zealot OS finally "beats the bad guy."

Been posting hopeless stories like these since 1995!
Old July 16, 2003, 23:17   #28
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Are things really that different in California?

I'll quote local prices for you (CDN$):
Athlon XP 3200+: $669.95
P4 3.0GHz: $599.95

And the 3.0GHz P4 is actually faster on average...
Considering both are out of my price range forget it. I am mostly into the mid range market.

BTW, I am not going to in California until the 14th of August. Right now I am kicking back in Hawaii... plans change.. damn.. I wanted to go to Italy.. But plans change...
Old July 16, 2003, 23:18   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I don't care about market-share. I just know which OS I like better.
So you only use Mac for the OS? You don't care about the hardware of the computer or anything?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:18   #30
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
While all of Agathons quotes are impressive....

1) I wish for Agathon to quite the WINTEL percentages for those, and then compare the two
That's a totally spurious comparison. As I said many of these computers are used in markets in which Apple does not compete and is not interested in competing.

Anyway, more people buy Britney's records than those of the Berlin Philharmonic, but that doesn't mean that Britney is better.

Windows is an objectionable piece of software from a user's perspective but not half as objectionable as the MS monopoly which has prevented users from enjoying the benefits of a competitive market in OS software. That's why I and all other rational computer users support the adoption of Linux as a means to freeing users from a destructive monopoly.

If you want to know how bad MS is just look at IE for the Macintosh. Almost nobody used it because it was so bad. Finally, in desperation, Apple got hold of Konqueror and modified it to run on OS X. It's smaller, faster, less prone to crashing, has a better interface and has more features than the bloated IE. They couldn't even compete with a modified piece of software which was free.

Fez: "Competition is a weapon to increase production" - Che Guevara.