Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Jerry! Jerry!!
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 16, 2003, 23:36   #62
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
It's not just the price, there are issues of compatibility etc. You know this so stop trolling.
Stunning -- vague enough to sound almost intellectual, empty enough to sound utterly retarded.

Quote:
I never said it was. You must have mistaken me for someone else.
You've taken logic courses, do you understand the concept of implication? You said Linux will come out on top of Windows, which certainly says it must be superior in terms of "economics" (your context).

Silly games, Agathon.

Quote:
We'll see. My claim is that Linux will dominate sooner or later. Give it 5 years and then come back.
I heard that five years ago.

Do you know how long UR has been chanting how Linux is going to own everyone on these forums? Saying the exact same stuff?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:37   #63
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

If you removed the "a", you'd be absolutely correct. I've clearly got a better understanding of the economics and business world than you.
You don't know anything very much. You're a mediocre undergraduate with an inflated opinion of himself, despite having achieved very little and despite the fact that you won't supply your credentials when asked to by other posters.

When another poster supplies an argument you can't beat or don't understand you resort to childish insults and ridicule. If you think you'll have a successful career in any field acting like that, you are sadly mistaken.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:38   #64
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 01:48
Quote:
No they don't. A real monopoly is one like the Kuwaiti Petroleum Company (or something along those lines). It is the only company that does oil extraction in Kuwait.
Go get a dictionary, Fez. I don't have the time nor the inclination to teach you the proper meanings for English words.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:39   #65
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You're a mediocre undergraduate with an inflated opinion of himself, despite having achieved very little
Hit the nail on the head with that one.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:39   #66
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:48
Agathon, cite for once your sources.

Quote:
When another poster supplies an argument you can't beat or don't understand you resort to childish insults and ridicule.
Speak for yourself.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:39   #67
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
No they don't. A real monopoly is one like the Kuwaiti Petroleum Company (or something along those lines). It is the only company that does oil extraction in Kuwait.
Go get a dictionary, Fez. I don't have the time nor the inclination to teach you the proper meanings for English words.
*******. Read it for once and stop taking the dumb way out.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:41   #68
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
You don't know anything very much. You're a mediocre undergraduate with an inflated opinion of himself, despite having achieved very little and despite the fact that you won't supply your credentials when asked to by other posters.
I don't supply my credentials because unless they suck, people like you would insist they're bullshit. Plus it's just out of the principle, when somebody bases their counter-argument on your ability to prove your GPA...well...

And I'll let you know how I'm doing for a "mediocre" undergraduate: I pay my textbooks and tuition all by myself, and I didn't have a job all year, and I had paid for the whole of next year by my second week on my job. I used the next couple weeks revenue to buy a $4000 laptop, and I'm going to use the next few's revenue to buy a $3500 desktop.

Not so shabby for a "mediocre" undergraduate student half done a degree, no?

Quote:
When another poster supplies an argument you can't beat or don't understand you resort to childish insults and ridicule.
Give me a break, in terms of logic, reasoning, and simple facts I've demolished yours and Cloud9's arguments countless times in countless threads.

You're both so hopelessly clueless and you're both apparently not smart enough to know when to shut up.

The things I do very well at are computers and the business and economics related to those computers. It's fascinated me all my life, it still does. I know my ****, you clearly don't.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:41   #69
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

The UofT sucks for CompSci. The UofC kicks their ass in the ACM Programming Championships...

And the UofC isn't an agricultural college...hell, we don't even offer agricultural courses (IIRC, Saskatchewan is big on that).

It's a geomatics/geology/geophysics/medicine school mostly, with a great CS department.
It's a third rate university with no academic pedigree in a cultural backwater. If you are so smart you could have done better - after all you have no excuse: Canada has many fine universities and the differences between them actually mean something here.

I don't claim to be any sort of genius (I've met too many here to be so arrogant) but I can see through you pretty easily.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:46   #70
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
It's a third rate university with no academic pedigree in a cultural backwater. If you are so smart you could have done better - after all you have no excuse: Canada has many fine universities and the differences between them actually mean something here.

Can't attack the argument, can't even attack me, you go for the school. I'll explain things to you:

1) The Alberta Government's ACCESS scholarships are only available in Alberta.
2) The Alberta Government's ICT scholarships are only available in Alberta.
3) The Alberta Government's Rutherford scholarships are only available in Alberta.
4) The Alberta Government's CTS scholarships are only available in Alberta.
5) It costs significantly less to live in a 4000sqft house with free food and transportation, 10 minutes from campus.
6) Undergrad degrees don't really matter. Hell, you got yours at the University of Watamgantago in New Zealand, right?

You also underestimate the UofC's compsci department. A VP at Sun (and inventor of Java), VPs at Electronic Arts, Computer Sciences, etc. are all UofC CompSci grads. This was before the huge ACCESS funding boosts in the mid-90s.

Quote:
I don't claim to be any sort of genius (I've met too many here to be so arrogant) but I can see through you pretty easily.
Well, that explains why you're certainly not a genius then, doesn't it?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:49   #71
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It's a third rate university with no academic pedigree in a cultural backwater. If you are so smart you could have done better
Hey, there's no reason to bring me into your fight.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:54   #72
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

I don't supply my credentials because unless they suck, people like you would insist they're bullshit. Plus it's just out of the principle, when somebody bases their counter-argument on your ability to prove your GPA...well...
If you are claiming any sort of expertise then you better show something if you want to be taken seriously. You consistently tell people how good you are on these forums, yet you won't supply your grades, which would tell us whether you are shitting or not.

Quote:
And I'll let you know how I'm doing for a "mediocre" undergraduate: I pay my textbooks and tuition all by myself, and I didn't have a job all year, and I had paid for the whole of next year by my second week on my job. I used the next couple weeks revenue to buy a $4000 laptop, and I'm going to use the next few's revenue to buy a $3500 desktop.
Big deal. Student-hookers can do that. You couldn't pay me any such sum to get me to do such a tedious job anyway.

Quote:
Not so shabby for a "mediocre" undergraduate student half done a degree, no?
Just shows there's a market. What is it? An internet helpdesk?

Quote:
Give me a break, in terms of logic, reasoning, and simple facts I've demolished yours and Cloud9's arguments countless times in countless threads.

You haven't demolished anything. All you do is hunt through the net for some stats or a page to prove your point, half of the time you don't even read it and end up looking dumb when it claims the opposite. As for logic, your logical sense is pretty crude and you can't seem to understand the difference between an a priori argument and a counterexample.

I'll put my credentials on the table. I've spent seven years teaching and marking student papers in a subject where logic is a sine qua non. I've taught both formal and practical logic and formal and practical argument. If your claims were true I would have been caught out and fired long ago due to the extensive checks on teachers and graders in the university system.

If you want my professional opinion you seem to be reasonably bright but undisciplined. You aren't super bright by any counts.

You're basically like the guy who tells his doctor that he always knows best. Give it up.

Quote:
You're both so hopelessly clueless and you're both apparently not smart enough to know when to shut up.
No. I know when to shut up - when it starts annoying other posters. As the extended flame wars with you do. So that's me done.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:56   #73
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Can't attack the argument, can't even attack me, you go for the school. I'll explain things to you:

1) The Alberta Government's ACCESS scholarships are only available in Alberta.
2) The Alberta Government's ICT scholarships are only available in Alberta.
3) The Alberta Government's Rutherford scholarships are only available in Alberta.
4) The Alberta Government's CTS scholarships are only available in Alberta.
5) It costs significantly less to live in a 4000sqft house with free food and transportation, 10 minutes from campus.
6) Undergrad degrees don't really matter. Hell, you got yours at the University of Watamgantago in New Zealand, right?

You also underestimate the UofC's compsci department. A VP at Sun (and inventor of Java), VPs at Electronic Arts, Computer Sciences, etc. are all UofC CompSci grads. This was before the huge ACCESS funding boosts in the mid-90s.
Translation: you aren't good enough to get anything outside your own province. Sorry, but the really clever people do better than this.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:58   #74
Giancarlo
King

Agathon, you know Asher has outdone you in this argument, as I have in the past about economics. Drop it man.. you can't win.
Old July 17, 2003, 00:00   #75
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
If you are claiming any sort of expertise then you better show something if you want to be taken seriously. You consistently tell people how good you are on these forums, yet you won't supply your grades, which would tell us whether you are shitting or not.

No one would believe any GPA I post anyway, I don't see your point.
I also don't see the relevance of it, because I thought I've pretty much proven myself here to know my stuff...at least to people who are actually somewhat bright to understand what I'm saying, or computer geeks themselves.

Quote:
Big deal. Student-hookers can do that. You couldn't pay me any such sum to get me to do such a tedious job anyway.
Couldn't pay you any sum to do a useful job, that's why you're a philosophy prof, isn't it?

Quote:
Just shows there's a market. What is it? An internet helpdesk?
Software engineer for a small business (Solo).

Quote:
You haven't demolished anything.
My ass I haven't! You still believe a mathematical law of computer science dictating delay time on interfaces somehow mentions that the top of the screen is the best place to put something. Such fundamental repeated ignorance is astounding...

Quote:
I'll put my credentials on the table. I've spent seven years teaching and marking student papers in a subject where logic is a sine qua non. I've taught both formal and practical logic and formal and practical argument.
All this shows is how incredibly other-worldly the philosophy departments are...and how useless they are. All of the philosophy types I meet are all impractical, overly academic to the point of obfuscasting simple, blindlingly obvious details, and too dumb to cut it in anything like mathematics, or even computer science and engineering.

Quote:
If you want my professional opinion you seem to be reasonably bright but undisciplined. You aren't super bright by any counts.
Undisciplined?

Quote:
You're basically like the guy who tells his doctor that he always knows best. Give it up.
Um. I would tell my doctor that I know best if he's talking about computers. You should see how slow he is at typing.

I wouldn't tell him I know best for medical. Although I don't fully trust him, since I do research for myself and prod him into looking into it (he told me the only option for me was to get CIRCUMCIZED for christ sakes...looking online and ****ing CREAM for a month fixes the same problem! Grr! )
Old July 17, 2003, 00:00   #76
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Agathon, you know Asher has outdone you in this argument, as I have in the past about economics. Drop it man.. you can't win.
Brown-nosing isn't going to get you into Glonkie's pants, Fez.
Old July 17, 2003, 00:01   #77
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Hey ya'll. I just noticed something on Poly and out of curiosity, what does the post stats mean on one's profile? I tried looking it up already, but can't find an answer. HELP!!!
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 17, 2003, 00:04   #78
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Translation: you aren't good enough to get anything outside your own province. Sorry, but the really clever people do better than this.

The UofC's compsci program is 3rd best in the nation, behind Waterloo and Queen's.

I can attend the UofC's for literally $700/year, with no expenses. To attend Waterloo, it's $20000/year with expenses, Queen's is $16000/year.

It simply doesn't make economic sense, particularly for an undergrad degree that is worthwhile. Hell, MS recruits here yearly, so maybe they'd know more about how worthwhile these degrees are.

Waterloo and Queen's also both don't offer Software Engineering degree concentrations (UofC is the only one in Canada to offer that, and Games Design concentrations). Hell, my last SENG prof worked at IBM for 15 years before she got her PhD.

I go here because it makes sense, it's convenient, and it's more than good enough. I've always planned to get an MSc or an MBA in addition to it.

Plus $60,000 average starting salary for CS grads here isn't shabby at all. (edit: typo)
Old July 17, 2003, 00:06   #79
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Brown-nosing isn't going to get you into Glonkie's pants, Fez.
I wouldn't dream of it. He doesn't interest me...
Old July 17, 2003, 00:29   #80
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:48
This thread reminds me more and more of the Geeks version of Jerry Springer.....
Old July 17, 2003, 00:33   #81
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

No one would believe any GPA I post anyway, I don't see your point.
I also don't see the relevance of it, because I thought I've pretty much proven myself here to know my stuff...at least to people who are actually somewhat bright to understand what I'm saying, or computer geeks themselves.
Even the patent contradictions, right?

Quote:
Couldn't pay you any sum to do a useful job, that's why you're a philosophy prof, isn't it?
I like doing it and it actually takes some brains.

Quote:
Software engineer for a small business (Solo).
a.k.a peon.

Quote:
My ass I haven't! You still believe a mathematical law of computer science dictating delay time on interfaces somehow mentions that the top of the screen is the best place to put something. Such fundamental repeated ignorance is astounding...
And apparently shared by the people who you chose to reference to show me my ignorance. This proved to me that you are full of **** and will say anything to get your way.

Quote:
All this shows is how incredibly other-worldly the philosophy departments are...and how useless they are. All of the philosophy types I meet are all impractical, overly academic to the point of obfuscasting simple, blindlingly obvious details, and too dumb to cut it in anything like mathematics, or even computer science and engineering.
This is a common piece of rubbish. I could as well say that all the CS types I meet are too lazy, dumb and lack the human sensibility required to do classics. Don't give me any bullshit about CS being hard. Hard core Classics is hard.

Quote:
Undisciplined?
Patently obvious really.

[QUOTE]Um. I would tell my doctor that I know best if he's talking about computers. You should see how slow he is at typing. [QUOTE]

You'll notice that I never bother debating you on the finer points of computing. I simply don't know enough about them. Anyway, all I have to do is wait for you to say something completely over the top and ridiculous or for you to reference as an authority something that contradicts what you say - and I win, almost without having to do anything at all.

Quote:
I wouldn't tell him I know best for medical. Although I don't fully trust him, since I do research for myself and prod him into looking into it (he told me the only option for me was to get CIRCUMCIZED for christ sakes...looking online and ****ing CREAM for a month fixes the same problem! Grr! )
So you get medical advice off the internet?

There's an easy cure for what I imagine you have. Stop masturbating.
Old July 17, 2003, 00:36   #82
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You want him to get prostate cancer? That's just mean, Ag.
Old July 17, 2003, 00:53   #83
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
a.k.a peon.
peon? You obviously don't read my journal.
I've got two bosses, a husband and wife. They have zero supervision over me, half of the time they're not even in the office, and when they are in the office I'm in a secluded office far away from them. All they said is they want it done in four months, and they're paying me an awesome hourly wage to do it fulltime for them.

Anything but a peon, I'm essentially my own boss as long as it's done by September 1st.

And they just hired a good friend of mine from school to do their webpage and answer phones, based purely upon my good word. So now I have company, too!

Quote:
And apparently shared by the people who you chose to reference to show me my ignorance. This proved to me that you are full of **** and will say anything to get your way.
Again, they were using the law to explain their rationale behind it, which I disagreed with. This does not, in fact, contradict the law. I disagreed with their opinion and how they used the law, not with the law.

I thought you took many courses in logic and argument, but you still fail to grasp such a simple concept?

Quote:
Patently obvious really.
You'd make an even worse psychologist than a philosopher.

I grew up in an excessively strict house, which explains my aversion to authority in my early years on Apolyton.

Come on, this is basic stuff! Undisciplined, I am not.

Quote:
So you get medical advice off the internet? p
From websites such as the Mayo Clinic. And you laugh now, but I get to keep my foreskin because of it!

Quote:
That would be funny if I wasn't getting more sex than you these days.

Never underestimate how many times young gay teens can go at it, Agathon. We've got you beat.
Old July 17, 2003, 02:50   #84
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 07:48
Quote:

You are a stunning example of why Philosophy people are laughed down upon on campuses all across the world.
Hey, leave philosophy out of this! Nobody laughs at us, it's all in your imagination!

laurentius-apolytoning from the department of philosophy, helsinki university

- Paul Valery
Old July 17, 2003, 05:47   #85
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 05:48
Gentlemen please, theyre only OPERATING SYSTEMS!!!

We all have different preferences but honestly, who really gives two sh!ts? Plenty of stuff more important. And Lindows sucks!
Old July 17, 2003, 08:18   #86
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker The distributions that are intuitive owe their success to copying Windows-like interfaces.
Irrelevant. Copycatting is commonplace in the tech industry and virtually all tech companies are guilty as charged.

IMHO, if history has anything to say about this, both M$ and Apple are responsible for starting this trend.
Old July 17, 2003, 09:05   #87
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Irrelevant my ass, don't you find it odd how none of the distro copy Apple's interface, but copy Window's?

Although that speaks more for Apple's design more than it does the distros.
Old July 17, 2003, 09:24   #88
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Again, they were using the law to explain their rationale behind it, which I disagreed with. This does not, in fact, contradict the law. I disagreed with their opinion and how they used the law, not with the law.
No you did not. You posted the link to show me how "utterly wrong" (or similar hyperbole) I was about it. Which just goes to show you hadn't read it. It doesn't matter anyway, the point still stands whether you want to call it Fitts' Law or not (and it seems that everyone I've read except for you, does).

Go look at the thread (although I'm sure you'll pull your usual trick of re-editing your posts to get out of it).

Quote:
I thought you took many courses in logic and argument, but you still fail to grasp such a simple concept?
In this case the concept is you trying to distance yourself from something dumb that you did.

Quote:
You'd make an even worse psychologist than a philosopher.
I don't claim to be one, but I can tell you're screwed in the head.

Quote:
I grew up in an excessively strict house, which explains my aversion to authority in my early years on Apolyton.
And much more, methinks.

Quote:
Come on, this is basic stuff! Undisciplined, I am not.
Really? So why do you fly off the handle so easily?

Quote:
From websites such as the Mayo Clinic. And you laugh now, but I get to keep my foreskin because of it!
This compulsive sharing of one's private life is rather disturbing.

Quote:
That would be funny if I wasn't getting more sex than you these days.
I have no idea of whether you are or not, and I'm not going to post details of my marriage on here just to win an argument with you.

You're certifiable.
Old July 17, 2003, 09:25   #89
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Irrelevant my ass, don't you find it odd how none of the distro copy Apple's interface, but copy Window's?
Because they'd get sued. Some interface elements are still proprietary.
Old July 17, 2003, 10:17   #90
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
No you did not. You posted the link to show me how "utterly wrong" (or similar hyperbole) I was about it. Which just goes to show you hadn't read it. It doesn't matter anyway, the point still stands whether you want to call it Fitts' Law or not (and it seems that everyone I've read except for you, does).

Go look at the thread (although I'm sure you'll pull your usual trick of re-editing your posts to get out of it).

It tells you when people edit their post, I'm not at fault because you cannot read it correctly the first time.

And "everyone you've read" probaby based it off that guy's website, because if you take interface design courses or look through a textbook, you'll realize Fitts' Law says absolutely nothing about the ideal spot to place objects.

The guy's reasoning and use of Fitts' law was ridiculous, and still is ridiculous. It's akin to me saying Bob's Law is 2 + 2 = 5, and therefore by Bob's Law it is also a Radiohead song. That's an absurd conclusion from an (incorrect) mathematical law. It has nothing to do with Radiohead!

Quote:
Really? So why do you fly off the handle so easily?
I haven't flown off the handle for a long time. Last time was probably the SuperSneak incident.

Quote:
This compulsive sharing of one's private life is rather disturbing.
So are your debate tactics. Notice that it's you who bring in private life details (see the above question), then when I discuss them you make sly comments about how it's "disturbing" I talk about it. Sly.

Quote:
Because they'd get sued. Some interface elements are still proprietary.
MS' interface elements are also proprietary (and patented, even), but the difference is Apple is a ruthless, litigious company. Far moreso than MS.

Which is why it baffles me that so many Apple supporters constantly talk about how evil MS is...when Apple is so incredibly evil that their marketshare continues to plumet.