Old July 17, 2003, 02:28   #1
Insigna
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PTW and Conquests should be sold together
I think they should bundle the two expansions together to make them cheeper. I think its stupid that they want people to pay what amounts to 60 or so dollars for what amounts to several improvments that seem more like a extravogent patch. Anyway I want to tell Firaxis to bundle them and make them cheap. I'm shure they have been raking in cash on this game so far, cut us some slack.
Insigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 03:17   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
I believe that PTW is included in Conquests -- just not in so many words.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 06:38   #3
WarpStorm
King

I'm pretty sure that Jeff_Atari has said that Conquests would include the PTW content.
Old July 17, 2003, 07:38   #4
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Knew I should have waited on PTW. Just couldn't for some reason
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 10:31   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
I'm pretty sure that Jeff_Atari has said that Conquests would include the PTW content.
Wow they really ripped us off with PTW then, didn't they?
Old July 17, 2003, 10:45   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 01:49
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Wow they really ripped us off with PTW then, didn't they?
Have you been playing PTW?

Yes?

Then the answer is no.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 11:03   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Have you been playing PTW?
Yes, but I didn't inhale.
Old July 17, 2003, 11:56   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I don't know, but seems I have spent more for dinner many times since I got PTW and I do not remember any of them. At least I am getting value for PTW.
I know I would not have wanted to wait the whole time from PTW to C3C, just to save less than $30.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 12:47   #9
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Agreed. My feeling is PtW and C3C are being released far enough apart that I don't feel ripped off. And price wise, first run movies in Los Angeles are $9.50, a beer in a pub $4.50, an amusement park $50.00. Using those forms of entertainment as measures, I got my money's worth right about the time I reached Military Tradition in my first game.
Old July 17, 2003, 12:55   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I agree;
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 17, 2003, 12:55   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I agree;
Old July 17, 2003, 12:55   #12
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I agree;
Old July 17, 2003, 12:56   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I agree; even at "full price", a good computer game is a wonderfully cheap means of entertainment.
Old July 17, 2003, 23:15   #14
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
Agreed. My feeling is PtW and C3C are being released far enough apart that I don't feel ripped off. And price wise, first run movies in Los Angeles are $9.50, a beer in a pub $4.50, an amusement park $50.00. Using those forms of entertainment as measures, I got my money's worth right about the time I reached Military Tradition in my first game.
So very true. And a good analogy by the way.

The movie analogy is another good one. You can't get out of a movie these days without paying $15 per person including food and drinks (in California at least). For the price of two movies you just bought yourself hours of entertainment with a game.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 23:53   #15
Insigna
Chieftain

Does this mean that Conquests will have the extra civs like the Mongols and Spainards as well as those terrain improvments also. Or will it just have the multiplayer from PTW? That would be totaly awesome if it included all of PTW. Well at least for those of us who skipped PTW.

Last edited by Insigna; July 18, 2003 at 00:00.
Insigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2003, 23:56   #16
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Insigna
Do this mean that Conquests will have the extra civs like the Mongols and Spainards as well as those terrain improvments also. Or will it just have the multiplayer from PTW? That would be totaly awesome if it included all of PTW. Well at least for those of us who skipped PTW.
That is the way I took it, but I could be wrong. IMHO, it would not be in their best interest to release a new expansion that wouldn't be compatible with PTW so they had to include PTW as part of Conquests.
Old July 18, 2003, 00:41   #17
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:49
Does anyone have an official source on this?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
johncmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 00:49   #18
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I saw it in the Gamespot preview (the link to it is now on the second page in the general forum I believe).
Old July 18, 2003, 00:55   #19
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
Does anyone have an official source on this?
You'll find it here:

www.gamespy.com/previews/july03/civ3conquestspc/

In the final paragraph, it states:

"Play the World in its entirety, minus the fan-made maps, is included in Conquests."
Old July 18, 2003, 06:32   #20
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:49
Which fan made maps you can download anyway from various places.

Btw Mad Monk, you seem to agree very strongly with what has been said (but I'm actually surprised that you could post anything at that hour)
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 07:14   #21
Powerslave
Settler

Local Time: 06:49
I don't care if they continue to spit out expansions pack I've got the money to buy it and so I will (yeah I'm a sucker). However when Civ 3 originally was released and I noticed no MP or proper scenario support I knew that expansions pack were to follow. I am quite sure that this was a planned tactic from Firaxis to increase their income by producing cheap xp. Even if many more companies do like this I really hate it.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 08:28   #22
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Civ2 didn't include MP either. So this isn't exactly new ...
(as for scenarions, I couldn't care less; but that's just me).

What would piss me off mightily is the idea that Firaxis left out on purpose certain features from the original Civ3 to sell them in XPs. (like wonders, governments, civs, etc) But I doubt that would be the case.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 08:53   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

everthing thats in ptw is going to be in conquests , the only thing you need is the original civ III game , .......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 11:18   #24
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Civ2 didn't include MP either. So this isn't exactly new ...
(as for scenarions, I couldn't care less; but that's just me).

What would piss me off mightily is the idea that Firaxis left out on purpose certain features from the original Civ3 to sell them in XPs. (like wonders, governments, civs, etc) But I doubt that would be the case.
I can tell you that based upon how hard everyone involved is working that isn't the case.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 19:47   #25
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:49
If it weren't for PTW, I would have never picked up Civ3 again....

Seriously Civ3 vanilla sucked. PTW made it awsome (even the single-player game)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 21:37   #26
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:49
Quote:
That's great news for me, PTW will arrive soon, and I like nila Civ3.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
johncmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 23:43   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
If it weren't for PTW, I would have never picked up Civ3 again....

You got that right. I still don't play the game much per se, but I've had a lot of fun "adjusting" things in the editor.