Local Time: 07:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Commodore 64 rebirth
From http://www.c64.org/

Quote:
Global re-launch of COMMODORE by TULIP COMPUTERS N.V. and IR"
by SCouT on Sat, Jul 12, 2003 15:00:25

Amersfoort, July 11, 2003

Today Tulip Computers NV (Tulip) and Ironstone Partners Ltd. (Ironstone) signed a licence agreement for a partnership, which is a major step in the global re-launch of the Commodore brand name.

Tulip will receive a license fee for all Commodore C64 products delivered by Ironstone, installed on all computer brands using the Microsoft or any other operating system and all Commodore 64 branded products. In addition, Tulip will receive a license fee over the revenue from software downloads, subscriptions and advertising.

Even today there is still an extensive group of about 6 million loyal Commodore users and enthusiasts around the world. This community is currently spread over hundreds of unofficial websites. The community craves acknowledgement and authenticity from the true Commodore C64 brand. Tulip is the owner of the brand name Commodore. Through this partnership Tulip grants to Ironstone the exclusive rights to exploit the official Commodore C64 web-portal and use of the Commodore 64 brand name.

Ironstone and Tulip invite the Commodore community to join the official Commodore C64 web-portal. Currently there are about 300 commercial websites that use the name Commodore or Commodore 64 without having a license from Tulip. Tulip will not allow unauthorised use of the Commodore brand.

In this partnership, Ironstone will create the official Commodore C64 games and community portal designed to focus and harness the power of the Commodore C64 user base and to efficiently provide the services required by these individuals for a fee. The founders of Ironstone are experienced and successful, in previous similar projects Ironstone achieved a subscriber to pay subscriber conversion rate that was unparalleled in the Internet space.

The main objective of the Ironstone official C64 portal is to unite this massive global fan base of passionate enthusiasts. Through its web portal, Ironstone will market the official C64 emulator in various software and hardware formats. The games offered by the Ironstone web-portal will include the famous ‘classic’ C64 games as well as exciting new games and will also sell its Commodore-branded products through the site.

Tulip will get full access to the estimated 6 million users and will also sell its Commodore branded products through this portal. Tulip will introduce, the upcoming months, new hardware products under the Commodore brand name, being able to use the C64 emulator.

According to Bjorn Bruggeman, Brand Manager Commodore: ”Through strategic partnerships we’re creating a web of Commodore partner companies. Each partner, or licensee, is selected on his unique expertise and will focus on a specific market segment within the Commodore strategy. The synergy advantages are huge. The license agreement with Ironstone is an important step in this process and will enable Tulip to enter a complete new era with almost unlimited e-commerce opportunities. “

Darren Melbourne, Creative Director, Ironstone Partners commented, “ The license deal with Tulip is a huge breakthrough for the millions of C64 enthusiasts and retro gamers around the world who are still loyal to this incredible games system. Ironstone is committed to bringing this technology and games library back to prominence on every platform available to us.”
Old July 18, 2003, 02:49   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
64 was the **** back in its day. It had some of the best graphics. Better than Apple
Old July 18, 2003, 07:13   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 06:50
Is this a step forward or the death of the free "abandonware" market for old C64 games?
Old July 18, 2003, 07:31   #4
reds4ever
Prince

I was a Spectrum man myself, the 'rich kids' had the C64!
Old July 18, 2003, 08:55   #5
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 05:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Is this a step forward or the death of the free "abandonware" market for old C64 games?
Not very likely as Ironstone only owns the brandname&trademarks. What I'm interested in is how the Commodore-One project fits into this.
Old July 18, 2003, 10:14   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

ZX-81 anybody? Ah, the keyless keyboard from hell
Old July 18, 2003, 11:39   #7
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
ZX-81 anybody? Ah, the keyless keyboard from hell
What about the wobbly ram pack? one false move and the computer froze
Old July 18, 2003, 12:29   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Don't know, but it's going to be interesting to see how they'll do this

Though I wish they did this with the Amiga instead, since it's easier to get old C64 games working, than to get old Amiga games working
Old July 19, 2003, 03:57   #9
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 15:50
What are you happy about ADG? As Grumbold noted, this is just going to mean a crackdown of abandon ware. Probably a lot of fansites providing roms will be shut down. You are happy?
Old July 19, 2003, 04:05   #10
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

better download those roms while you still can

c64 for rich kids?

I grew up real poor. I never actually had one, but my brother got his. But my mother had to put one away on layaway for a while before we could get one. It was like $200 I think. And you didn't need a monitor, you could hook it up to the tv.

Their best move was probably allowing for use of the atari joysticks. That was a good move.
Old July 19, 2003, 06:00   #11
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

What about the wobbly ram pack? one false move and the computer froze
I remember once hitting my desk in frustration at not being able to do the last but one mission of Raid Over Moscow, despite having many lives. I was so close each time, and getting ever closer. Surely on the next life?

The blow was nowhere near the machine, but the ram pack moved 1 micron and it was game over.

Old July 19, 2003, 06:11   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela
What are you happy about ADG? As Grumbold noted, this is just going to mean a crackdown of abandon ware. Probably a lot of fansites providing roms will be shut down. You are happy?
What I'm happy about. Well, at least there's going to be some official changes...

Yes, some fansites are probably going to shut down, but I also believe there still will be some "other ways" to get those games

I doubt people who has those games, will delete them from their HD, if the new Commodore owners tell them to...
Old July 19, 2003, 07:21   #13
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

c64 for rich kids?
When they came out the 48k Spectrum (I think it was called the Timex 1000 or something in the USA) was about 100 quid cheaper, you didn't need a dedicated cassette machine and the games were easier to copy!
Old July 19, 2003, 22:22   #14
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 00:50
I thought Commodore 64 were obsoleate.
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old July 19, 2003, 22:32   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
Hey, I still have my Commodore 64, all the devices, and it still works.

Ahhh, Lords of Conquest.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:41   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

the powerpacks always seemed to burn out. My C64 has a bad powerpack. maybe they just weren't designed for the heat of the desert.
Old July 20, 2003, 11:50   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I remember paying around 300-400$/€ for it's floppy drive ..
Old July 20, 2003, 15:19   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Hey, I still have my Commodore 64, all the devices, and it still works.

Unfortunatly we sold it... but on the other hand: We wouldn't have got an Amiga, if we didn't
Old July 21, 2003, 12:18   #19
Kropotkin
Emperor

Sounds like a way to make money on nostalgia to me...
Old July 22, 2003, 22:50   #20
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Sounds like a way to make money on nostalgia to me...
Well, duh. Did you know water is wet?
Anyway, I have a C64 emulator that always freezes, and the only ROMs from the C64 that I care about are Mail Order Monsters and Archon, both of which I have, so it sounds okay with me. Anybody here remember MOM? Go, lyonbear! Tear 'em up!
How these guys expect to sell a program that size over the internet and not expect it to be pirated within minutes is beyond me. I mean, if they actually found a way to realistically halt the spread of information on the internet, it would be an invention comparable to antigravity generators, and they wouldn't be farting around wasting it on reminisceware.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 23, 2003, 04:09   #21
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:50
You could put the whole thing on a chip these days.
Old July 24, 2003, 21:54   #22
Sojourn
Settler

Local Time: 05:50
Mail Order Monsters!

Now that brought back some nostalgic feelings. I can still hum the theme song for that one. Time to go in search of some old ROMs...

-Sojourn
Old July 25, 2003, 09:29   #23
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
Can't remember the theme song; I was like eight or so when our commodore stopped working. I just remember it was a cool frigging game(I'd love it if they brought it back for a modern system), and so was Archon. I DO, however, remember the music from Gyruss. Gyruss was cool too.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."