Old July 20, 2003, 10:52   #31
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Then again, what caused 13+14 to be bad numbers
I dunno about the numbers 13 and 14, but I can tell you why Friday the 13th is supposed to be unlucky - it's the day the Pope (I think Innocent III?) ordered the destruction of the Knights Templar back in the mid 1200s, I think, and tried to have each one killed simultaneously.
Old July 20, 2003, 12:19   #32
Vandal-1
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus_MST
144.000 which is 12 * 12.000
Don´t know why but I think it has something to do with the 12 as a holy number.
Rev:20 1-5
Old July 20, 2003, 12:38   #33
Vandal-1
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH
I think you're looking too far into this, st.

Then again, what caused 13+14 to be bad numbers
It has to do with Kabbalism 7 and 12 are allegoric to the completion,thus 13 is what comes before the cycle may go on... it represents death as does 8. 13 is also the number of a coven which is the anti thesis of Jesus and the Apostles.
The desth card is the 13th card of the Major Arcana as well. The 12 times 12000 is the number of the sons of god which withstood the Beast and the Tribulation.

I don't know about 14 in the Tao-che,but that is where to find it.
Old July 20, 2003, 13:50   #34
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
13 can also be taken as representative of Judas Iscariot...there are a bunch of reasons to hate the number, apparently.
While we're talking about superstitions, "four" is unlucky in Japanese. Not the number four, but the word for 4, "yan." So most people say "shi" instead of "yan"; both words mean four, it's just that people rarely ever say yan. I'm not even sure why the hell the word yan exists. What can I say, it's the way superstitions are.
As for the JW's, I remember reading that their founder was actually a former con man who was forced to admit in court that he lied about going to seminary, among other things. I live far enough back in the woods that neither they nor the mormons ever bother me, but just FYI...
Note also Galatians 1:6-9, the "anti-mormon clause." Basically says anybody who claims to have received further revelations beyond Christianity is to be considered a liar and shunned. I heard about it from some evangelicals a few years ago, and I bet it's useful for getting rid of door-to-door salvation salesmen in general. Anybody here ever try it out? Obi-wan, maybe?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 20, 2003, 16:30   #35
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

As the only person with a Jehova's Witness-related user name I should be offended by this thread! Okay, so "Birdseed" means "Unbeliever, one who will be eaten by crows come revelation" in JW lingo, but still.
Old July 20, 2003, 18:16   #36
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

No idea about 13, but in Chinese, the words for 14 sounds like repeating the word 'death' twice (i.e. double death == bad bad bad).
Old July 21, 2003, 13:41   #37
Vandal-1
Chieftain

I can find the exact characters in the Katakana Shi I confirm to be the standard four numeral but it means death when it is a verb/adverb character such as Shitai - corps Hisshi -certain death( desperation) and as for explaining Yan would be a lord or the night ,but my Character book says Yo-n soft O in prefix mode is this.There is a deeper derivation even yet but it has to do with Taoist divination for all practicle purposes Yan is of the same meaning as 13.
Old July 21, 2003, 15:08   #38
One_Brow
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
It seems you don't need to give them money to be one of "the chosen". Even though I believe in monkeys , listen to death metal, and refused to read the bible with these guys, they still claimed I was one of the (144.000) chosen. I think they knew because I have a holy mark on my forehead or something like that
Quote:
No. If I remember correctly, the chosen ones will together build the new Jerusalem, the paradise where everything will be so great and nice and so on

At least we don't have to burn for an eternal eternity
I think you confused the anointed (the 144,000) with the saved (everyone else).

The anointed go to heaven. Most were selected prior to 1935. Supposedly the selection experience is unmistakable, subjectively. While you don't *have* to donate anything, if you don't or didn't do anything to advance the cause of the JWs, it's unlikely they would believe your claims to be of the anointed. The anointed will become the co-rulers for Jesus.

All the rest of us who don't die would be saved to eternal life here on earth, and will work under the direction of Jesus and the anointed to rebuild Paradise.