Old July 18, 2003, 00:04   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should I get C3C?
I just got PTW, and now I learn that it's included in C3C. What luck is that? Anyway, should I rake out another 30 bucks to buy it? I don't think I want any more civs.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
johncmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 00:10   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:51
You have about 3 months until C3C comes out. There are plenty of other changes and additions to the game. In the meantime, have fun with PTW and ask again after C3C's release (oh, and have your $30 saved up, just in case).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 00:15   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
You have about 3 months until C3C comes out. There are plenty of other changes and additions to the game. In the meantime, have fun with PTW and ask again after C3C's release (oh, and have your $30 saved up, just in case).
Even though we think that PTW is included fully, it may not be. And in any case many MP and PBEM games will still stay PTW. It's a good entertainment investment.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 00:17   #4
johncmcleod
Prince

What's PBEM? Play by email?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 18, 2003, 00:45   #5
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Yep. I haven't actually done one yet, but I should be joining one soon. And that's how all the Civ 3 democracy games work except for the C3DG (which is against the AI civs not humans).
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 02:43   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yeah, I would suggest seeing if you like what's in PTW before even thinking about C3C. You have three months, use them.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 08:49   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
hi ,

yes , without a doubt

its going to have everthing of ptw and a whole lot more

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2003, 13:06   #8
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Re: Should I get C3C?
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I just got PTW, and now I learn that it's included in C3C. What luck is that? Anyway, should I rake out another 30 bucks to buy it? I don't think I want any more civs.
bring it back if you can and wait 3 months.

PTW is no big deal except if you want multi-playing. but C3C will be great for both SPs and MPs! [at least i hope so...]
Old July 19, 2003, 13:16   #9
WarpStorm
King

I disagree with you Sabrewolf. I rarely play PTW MP except when I'm testing it for bugs, but I really enjoy the additions PTW added to the single player game.

Then again, it's at most only $30.

The changes to the regular game are going to really enrich the gameplay in Conquests. It's not just 7 new civs.
Old July 19, 2003, 13:39   #10
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: Should I get C3C?
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

bring it back if you can and wait 3 months.

PTW is no big deal except if you want multi-playing. but C3C will be great for both SPs and MPs! [at least i hope so...]
hi ,

why wait three months , ...

before c3c is out an patch it shall be past X-mas , .....

why wait out on all the fun , ......

as for the mp in both expans , well c3c people can play against ptw people , but not the other way around , ......

have a nice day
Old July 19, 2003, 14:06   #11
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
I disagree with you Sabrewolf. I rarely play PTW MP except when I'm testing it for bugs, but I really enjoy the additions PTW added to the single player game.

Then again, it's at most only $30.

The changes to the regular game are going to really enrich the gameplay in Conquests. It's not just 7 new civs.
well, i just said so, because johncmcleod only just bought PTW and is worrying about the 30 USD - if it's worth it for these 3 months.
if someone only buys ptw now, he probably isn't a hard core civ3 freak, so waiting another 3 months can't harm

but then, panag is right. if it really does take 2-3 patches to get a stable version, it'll be january next year by the time c3c really is playable... so then it might still be worth it...

so johncmcleod,
if you can live without ptw-functions for half a year and still can bring the game back, do so. otherwise: it still is a fun game and the new civs are some other stuff (especially the warrior upgrade path) make the game better...
Old July 19, 2003, 14:31   #12
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

three months , but its going to belonger then just three months , that comes up to 10 a month , ..... or 2.5 a week , where can you buy for so few bucks something to have fun with for hours , .......

even if the game would cost 50 bucks then most people would still buy it , it still stays cheap at 50 bucks , ......

have a nice day
Old July 19, 2003, 14:32   #13
WarpStorm
King

To be honest, C3C today is about as stable as PTW is today. I don't think people will be complaining about a bug-fest with C3C on release day.

Jesse, I hope that statement doesn't get me in trouble with the NDA.
Old July 19, 2003, 15:33   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
Stablity should not be an issue with the 2nd add on. It is not like they are redoing the engine. It will just be a few tweaks. It could be that it will have a bug or so, but it should not be the same level of effort as PTW, let alone CIvIII.
PTW can be found for less than 15 bucks, not exactly a hard ship.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2003, 16:04   #15
johncmcleod
Prince

How id unpatched PTW? The computer I have with the net is old and when I put something on a disk and put it on the good comp it doesn't read it. I'm afraid I'll be without a patch for it.
Old July 19, 2003, 16:59   #16
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
To be honest, C3C today is about as stable as PTW is today. I don't think people will be complaining about a bug-fest with C3C on release day.

Jesse, I hope that statement doesn't get me in trouble with the NDA.

GOOD NEWS !!!
Old July 19, 2003, 17:02   #17
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Should you get C3C? Yeah, probably. Just because if you don't you will be spending your time wondering what your missing out on.
trickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2003, 19:15   #18
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
How id unpatched PTW? The computer I have with the net is old and when I put something on a disk and put it on the good comp it doesn't read it. I'm afraid I'll be without a patch for it.
I had no problems with it out of the box, but I do not play MP.
I would suspect that any of the game mags that have a CD will have the patches. Just buy or borrow a copy.
I would think you could have someone burn you a copy of the patch, if all else fails. Blank CD's are so cheap.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2003, 20:28   #19
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 05:51
Of course you should!

And whether it turns out to be awesome or disappointing, your mind will be at rest - you won't be thinking to yourself every time you walk past the shops, 'hmm ... I'm so tempted to see what Conquests is really like ...'.

Personally I can't wait to use the 'exciting' new features like capturing ships and playing at a difficulty level even higher than Deity! Woot!
David Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2003, 22:24   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:51
Yep, I think you should head down to Wollyworld and pick up a copy this weekend.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2003, 07:33   #21
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
To be honest, C3C today is about as stable as PTW is today.

Well, that's a relief!
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote