Old July 19, 2003, 11:39   #91
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
I accept paypal!
Let me shop around first. I'll get back to you.
Old July 19, 2003, 11:41   #92
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
the government making a decision of official language use for practical reasons
If you really believe this, then you're dumber than I thought you were.
Considering you don't have any evidence to the contrary other than your typical French-bashing, this is rich. If you want cultural chauvinism, I suggest you look in the mirror.

Tell me, do you speak French? Know anything about the technicalities of the language? No?

Didn't think so. Yet I'm the dumb one because I'm not making a knee-jerk assumption based on my own cultural prejudices.
Old July 19, 2003, 11:41   #93
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:52
Quote:
Yet I'm the dumb one because I'm not making a knee-jerk assumption based on my own cultural prejudices.
DUH!
Old July 19, 2003, 11:49   #94
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Yet I'm the dumb one because I'm not making a knee-jerk assumption based on my own cultural prejudices.
You're dumb because it is obvious to all non-retards that this change was made for cultural reasons, not practical ones. The article says the change was made to help stem an influx of English words. The French commision on language would proudly admit to it. Yet, you latch onto some weak comment by Davout in an attempt to make all of us who actually see what the French are doing look like irrational anti-French zealots.

Nice try, but some of us can see right through you.

Quote:
If you want cultural chauvinism, I suggest you look in the mirror.

I'm from Nebraska. We don't have any culture to be chauvinistic about, as you've told me on several occasions.
Old July 19, 2003, 11:56   #95
Kuciwalker
Deity

I have a few points:

a) the Freedom Fries thing is considered ridiculous in America as well. It's a few freaks. 99.9% of the time it's used, it's a joke (ie, ****, I have a freedom test today )

b) there is no problem with what they're doing, it's just intensely inane. They aren't saying "you must use french in government documents", they're REDEFINING the language. This is stupid because a language is defined by what people say, not the other way around.
Old July 19, 2003, 11:58   #96
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
You're dumb because it is obvious to all non-retards that this change was made for cultural reasons, not practical ones. The article says the change was made to help stem an influx of English words. The French commision on language would proudly admit to it. Yet, you latch onto some weak comment by Davout in an attempt to make all of us who actually see what the French are doing look like irrational anti-French zealots.

Nice try, but some of us can see right through you.
Oh yeah, the article--from an American newspaper. I must point out how the Culture Ministry did not ban the use of "Spam" or "Chat," which were also given the alternative Frenchisms of "pourriel" and "clavardage." They didn't adopt them because they didn't think doing so was practical, as the English terms work fine. "E-mail" is not easy to say in French, that's just the way it is.

Quote:

I'm from Nebraska. We don't have any culture to be chauvinistic about, as you've told me on several occasions.
I said there was no culture there? News to me!
Old July 19, 2003, 12:02   #97
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
And TCO, how does this differ from US decisions to use terms they like more in official documents? It may be silly, but it's no sillier than any of the euphemisms you hear from the military...
To be comparably silly, you would have to have a Government document mandating Freedom Fries in all government documents.

Euphemisms are a lesser sin, than proclamations to change a word that is commonly word but comes from another language.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:02   #98
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
They didn't adopt them because they didn't think doing so was practical, as the English terms work fine. "E-mail" is not easy to say in French, that's just the way it is.
If "e-mail" is so impractical, why did the lady in the article say she thought everyone would continue using it? Why have the French posters in this thread assured us that the vast majority of the French population will continue to use "e-mail", that this will only change the word in government documents? Sounds to me that the term "e-mail" is a perfectly practical addition to the French language.

This change was made for cultural reasons, plain and simple.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:03   #99
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 14:52
Similar language-preserving activities are going on in Sweden too and presumably in many other countries as well. Yet it's apparently only the French that are the chauvinistic morons.

Being rather ignorant on this issue, I ask you to please explain to me why it's so bad only in the case of France and not other countries? I never heard anyone talking about "Sweden commits idiotic act to show it is superior to America blah blah blah"
Old July 19, 2003, 12:05   #100
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:52
Combat Ingrid: Because it's cool for the jingos if they bash France.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:05   #101
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:52
Having seen te entemology of the word, it is not in any way redefining the language. In French, as in Spanish, the adjective follows the noun instead of preceding it_ E stands for the adjective to mail in this case. Well, in French the word translates directly is courrier electronique, or courri er electronique, or courriel.

And on the notion that usgae should dictate what is used: goernments can seelct to use anyting they crae to: they ae not attempting to force the population to change usage, so there is nothing wrong with this, excep that it riles the French haters here.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 19, 2003, 12:05   #102
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Being rather ignorant on this issue, I ask you to please explain to me why it's so bad only in the case of France and not other countries?
It's stupid when any country does it. Japan does the same thing (to a much lesser extent than France) and I don't approve of that either. However, France is the one being discussed because this particular article was about them and they are one of the most flagrant offenders in this area.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:07   #103
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

By the way, saying they are silly isn't bashing them. If I wanted to bash, I would be hitting them like Britney Spears hitting a wildebeest.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:08   #104
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
If "e-mail" is so impractical, why did the lady in the article say she thought everyone would continue using it? Why have the French posters in this thread assured us that the vast majority of the French population will continue to use "e-mail", that this will only change the word in government documents? Sounds to me that the term "e-mail" is a perfectly practical addition to the French language.

This change was made for cultural reasons, plain and simple.
Gee, maybe she just has a different opinion on the matter than those who made the decision?

Just because "e-mail" is currently ubiquitous, due to its being around for so long, does not mean it is the most practical term they could use. From a purely linguistic perspecitve, "courriel" is much easier and natural-sounding in French than "e-mail."

Of course the change was made for cultural reasons--just not necessarily the one you're assuming out of your anti-gallic mindset. Anything decisions dealing with use of language are inheritly cultural in nature.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:09   #105
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Of course the change was made for cultural reasons
I rest my case.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:11   #106
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Of course the change was made for cultural reasons
I rest my case.
Why? "Cultural reasons" include the word "courriel" being easier to pronounce and more practical than "e-mail."
Old July 19, 2003, 12:11   #107
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

To be comparably silly, you would have to have a Government document mandating Freedom Fries in all government documents.

Euphemisms are a lesser sin, than proclamations to change a word that is commonly word but comes from another language.
I don't think so. Freedom Fries is just patently more ridiculous. Nobody has ever used that term before, and it was a means of getting back at one country. Courriel is stupid (they should just let the language evolve) but is indicative of their desire to "maintain" French language (something that started in 18th century with Acad. de la LF). And euphemisms are actually worse, IMO. I'm a lot more upset when a government official tries to trivialise human suffering by couching it in more comfortable terms than I am when somebody changes the name of email because it's an anglicisme...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 19, 2003, 12:11   #108
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Gee, maybe she just has a different opinion on the matter than those who made the decision?

Just because "e-mail" is currently ubiquitous, due to its being around for so long, does not mean it is the most practical term they could use. From a purely linguistic perspecitve, "courriel" is much easier and natural-sounding in French than "e-mail."

Of course the change was made for cultural reasons--just not necessarily the one you're assuming out of your anti-gallic mindset. Anything decisions dealing with use of language are inheritly cultural in nature.
You haven't squared her different opinion from YOUR statement on practicality. Nor have you squared your statement of practicality with current usage! If people use it, than how is it impractical? Huh???

Stop twisting like Fez in a sheet.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:12   #109
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

I don't think so. Freedom Fries is just patently more ridiculous. Nobody has ever used that term before, and it was a means of getting back at one country. Courriel is stupid (they should just let the language evolve) but is indicative of their desire to "maintain" French language (something that started in 18th century with Acad. de la LF). And euphemisms are actually worse, IMO. I'm a lot more upset when a government official tries to trivialise human suffering by couching it in more comfortable terms than I am when somebody changes the name of email because it's an anglicisme...
Well, I guess we agree that they are not good analogues. I also think stealing money is worse. As is beating your wife.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:13   #110
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
By the way, saying they are silly isn't bashing them. If I wanted to bash, I would be hitting them like Britney Spears hitting a wildebeest.
I'm not saying you're bashing them. But I do think there is opportunism present in this thread. Especially in overreaction and calling it a death of free speech in France...

If they want a violation of free speech used to maintain French they should look to the North, not across the Atlantic...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 19, 2003, 12:13   #111
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And it looks like we agree, the language should just evolve.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:14   #112
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

I'm not saying you're bashing them. But I do think there is opportunism present in this thread. Especially in overreaction and calling it a death of free speech in France...

If they want a violation of free speech used to maintain French they should look to the North, not across the Atlantic...
What there are French people in America, I mean Canada, I mean North America? Next you'll tell me that Brazillians have black people too!
Old July 19, 2003, 12:15   #113
KrazyHorse
Deity

I want some Coffee!
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 19, 2003, 12:15   #114
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'd have to agree with this. For the record, I don't think this is the death of free speech in France or anything else as equally absurd. It's just a silly decision made because of France's overwhelming belief in the superiority and purity of their own language (a pet peeve of mine).
Old July 19, 2003, 12:16   #115
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I want some Coffee!
Yasser, coming right up!
Old July 19, 2003, 12:17   #116
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

You haven't squared her different opinion from YOUR statement on practicality. Nor have you squared your statement of practicality with current usage! If people use it, than how is it impractical? Huh???

Stop twisting like Fez in a sheet.
Why do I have to square her opinion? She's just saying that, in her opinion, e-mail is fine. Others disagree.

And you're saying everything in current usage must be the most practical? Malarky.

People often stick with less-practical means of saying or doing things out of habit and tradition. As I said, ubiquitous use does not necessarily denote it is the most practical. Our computer keyboards are a perfect example. They are ubiquitous, but the key layout is not the most practical possible for speed and accuracy. Attempts to introduce new layouts have been failures because people are stubborn and don't like changing habits, even if changing them would make a better result.

Now, I'm not saying I think "courriel" will catch on and replace e-mail. It is likely that "e-mail" is there to stay, precisely because of habit. But I don't think the ministry's decision is the cultural sideswipe people are making it out to be.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:17   #117
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
I'd have to agree with this. For the record, I don't think this is the death of free speech in France or anything else as equally absurd. It's just a silly decision made because of France's overwhelming belief in the superiority and purity of their own language (a pet peeve of mine).
Stop it. We'll all be agreeing soon. Then we will have to gang bang Fez to get our rocks off and that makes me feel so cheap.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:18   #118
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Why do I have to square her opinion? She's just saying that, in her opinion, e-mail is fine. Others disagree.

And you're saying everything in current usage must be the most practical? Malarky.

People often stick with less-practical means of saying or doing things out of habit and tradition. As I said, ubiquitous use does not necessarily denote it is the most practical. Our computer keyboards are a perfect example. They are ubiquitous, but the key layout is not the most practical possible for speed and accuracy. Attempts to introduce new layouts have been failures because people are stubborn and don't like changing habits, even if changing them would make a better result.

Now, I'm not saying I think "courriel" will catch on and replace e-mail. It is likely that "e-mail" is there to stay, precisely because of habit. But I don't think the ministry's decision is the cultural sideswipe people are making it out to be.
If people readily use something, how is it impractical. It might not be optimal, but it's certainly not impractical. And you twist just fine, honey.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:19   #119
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Stop it. We'll all be agreeing soon.
Nah. We'll still have Boris around to disagree with. He never admits defeat.

Quote:
Then we will have to gang bang Fez to get our rocks off and that makes me feel so cheap.
Old July 19, 2003, 12:20   #120
Boris Godunov
Emperor

"less practical" not "impractical" Practicality is a spectrum, not either/or. Darlin'.