Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: What is happening to Poly?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Why is this?
The server was relocated to the Oval Office recently.
Old July 20, 2003, 12:31   #33
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

an X-raid would do the job , .....
And no, it wouldn't. Please see the other thread for my more in-depth comments.
Old July 20, 2003, 15:51   #34
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka

And no, it wouldn't. Please see the other thread for my more in-depth comments.
Asuka,

I read the other thread and what I'm getting is that eithier another server is needed and/or new software. I am also getting the idea that these are cost prohibitive. What is needed as far as hardware and software and what is the cost?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 20, 2003, 15:54   #35
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003

Asuka,

I read the other thread and what I'm getting is that eithier another server is needed and/or new software. I am also getting the idea that these are cost prohibitive. What is needed as far as hardware and software and what is the cost?
hi ,

for some Quality like skynet or so , , starters would be in the 20 000 field range , .......

it all depends what you want , .......

have a nice day
Old July 20, 2003, 17:43   #36
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:

What is needed as far as hardware and software and what is the cost?
Well, any possible software costs would be nill with Free Software like OpenBSD, if any server software would be changed. However the server and bandwith costs are the real issues. If you would go with a separate physical MySQL database server, you could investigate what kind of a deal could be reached about that with RackShack, as it would have to be a tailor made offer. Also changing hosting provider could be one option then, if a better and moderately priced solution is found elsewhere. However if the mirror idea would be used, then you need to find a suitable hosting provider who can host a dedicated server and it would be located in the UK or Germany, so that would also require some calculations, but basically operational costs would double for the servers, which is however understandable.
Old July 20, 2003, 17:49   #37
Rasbelin
Emperor

Just to clarify it...

- 1 dedicated server (Settler II), RackShack, USA + 1 dedicated database server, RackShack, USA
- 1 dedicated server (Settler II), RackShack, USA + 1 dedicated server, suggestion: KDA Web Services (quite praised by British site owners), UK
Old July 20, 2003, 17:52   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Well, any possible software costs would be nill with Free Software like OpenBSD, if any server software would be changed. However the server and bandwith costs are the real issues. If you would go with a separate physical MySQL database server, you could investigate what kind of a deal could be reached about that with RackShack, as it would have to be a tailor made offer. Also changing hosting provider could be one option then, if a better and moderately priced solution is found elsewhere. However if the mirror idea would be used, then you need to find a suitable hosting provider who can host a dedicated server and it would be located in the UK or Germany, so that would also require some calculations, but basically operational costs would double for the servers, which is however understandable.
hi ,

, prices and operating costs are lower in france , belgium , and greece , .......

one particular mainframe comes to mind that is low cost , .....

however the real question is , do the site owners want to change the server , .....

the answer to that seems to be no for the moment and near future , ......

have a nice day
Old July 20, 2003, 18:13   #39
Rasbelin
Emperor

I didn't speak that the server should be changed. See what I said above in the compact message. Also the server has to bee located in a strategically well located place like near LINX in London or Frankfurt am Mein for good Europeanwide backbone connections. It's not just the operation costs that matter. Having two servers is anyway more expensive, so it's then better to locate is properly.
Old July 20, 2003, 18:17   #40
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I didn't speak that the server should be changed. See what I said above in the compact message. Also the server has to bee located in a strategically well located place like near LINX in London or Frankfurt am Mein for good Europeanwide backbone connections. It's not just the operation costs that matter. Having two servers is anyway more expensive, so it's then better to locate is properly.

hi ,

there are other backbone infrastrucures that are way more cheaper then just those two cities , .....

two server might indeed be costly , but it could be a smart thing to do for mid and longer term planning , ....

one in europe , one in the states , ......

we shall have to wait and see till Mark or Dan decide to do it , ..... wanna bet one day we wake up and they say to us , sure we have been planning this all along , ..... and bang , the server is there , .....

have a nice day
Old July 20, 2003, 18:40   #41
Rasbelin
Emperor

Good to hear that we have the same basic idea, Panag. Yes, now we just have to wait and see. I foresee this after donations and/or sponsored memberships will be concidered again by them. I bet it will take at least until Markos is back from the military duties next May or June.
Old July 20, 2003, 19:49   #42
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Good to hear that we have the same basic idea, Panag. Yes, now we just have to wait and see. I foresee this after donations and/or sponsored memberships will be concidered again by them. I bet it will take at least until Markos is back from the military duties next May or June.
hi ,

, actually if you would know Mark , dont be surprised that one weekend or so when he comes home he does it , .......

donations , well if the site keeps growing the way it does , if only one in ten buys something true the links and banners , they shall have plenty of income to fund it , ......

lets all support apolyton and buy c3c true a poly banner , .....

have a nice day
Old July 20, 2003, 23:49   #43
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I haven't had any problems with Poly, except for the now-continuous search engine failure.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 20, 2003, 23:56   #44
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

How does the banner income program work?
Old July 21, 2003, 01:43   #45
Rasbelin
Emperor

Banners are ineffective. What is needed are donations and sponsored memberships. It's basic business know-how. The supply should meet the demand. Banners and pop-ups are just ineffective in comparison to those. The incomes won't rise with any of the current ads. They already had to add more in order to be able to fund the current services.
Old July 21, 2003, 10:19   #46
PLATO
Emperor

Okay. So where do you donate? and what is a "sponsored" membership?
Old July 21, 2003, 10:24   #47
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Okay. So where do you donate? and what is a "sponsored" membership?

hi ,

simple , click " store " , .......

have a nice day
Old July 21, 2003, 10:42   #48
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:53
All hail the Apolyton store. For a mere $100, you can get a mug. Not only that, but you will be actively helping with 1.5% of that going to Apolyton!

Old July 21, 2003, 11:06   #49
MattH
King

Local Time: 05:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
All hail the Apolyton store. For a mere $100, you can get a mug. Not only that, but you will be actively helping with 1.5% of that going to Apolyton!

Did you leave out a decimal marker in that $100? Current cost = ~$13.99 (settler II large mug)
Old July 21, 2003, 11:11   #50
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

hi ,

héy , thats for the goldplated custom version , ......

come on skanky , you know better then that , .....

have a nice day
Old July 21, 2003, 12:38   #51
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH

Did you leave out a decimal marker in that $100? Current cost = ~$13.99 (settler II large mug)
And add to that $$$ to get it shipped to the other side of the world.
So you'll end up paying ~$30, of which maybe $2 well end up with MarkG and DanQ.

But... Mark, Dan, you seem to be reluctant to accept donations or "sponsored" memberships, but I read on the Cafe Press website that you can set your own retail price (over the products' base price)... Couldn't you sell, say, Apolyton (bumper) stickers, for $15 or more (maybe several different prizes) or something. The shipping of stickers and the base price of stickers is negligible.
You will still be able to do your **** through Cafe Press, you'll still be selling products. But anyone who wants to really donate money can do so, knowing that most of the money will end up with you, and they'll get a little Apolyton sticker on the side.

Last edited by Mercator; July 21, 2003 at 13:04.
Old July 21, 2003, 13:14   #52
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

simple , click " store " , .......
@@!!fc44##, Panag!

/me throws in a Hitler card.

That's the ACS store. You are apparently trying to move on sidetrack this whole issue and point a less experienced Apolytoner to the wrong place. Get a dictonary and see that store doesn't equal with sponsored membership. Do I have to write a full explanation or can you get it that you are talking trash here? Argh! Shut up or at least stay to facts.

And Skanky and Mercator are right that the store incomes are very minimal and neither can the prices be increased that much as people will abstain buying stuff then. Also selling some special priced bumber stickers would be just pure idiocy. Who would want to pay extra for the delivery, when you buy a service (paid membership)? No, it has to be done properly and in a working manner.
Old July 21, 2003, 13:43   #53
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Also selling some special priced bumber stickers would be just pure idiocy. Who would want to pay extra for the delivery, when you buy a service (paid membership)? No, it has to be done properly and in a working manner.
Yes, it is silly, but somehow "they" don't want proper donations or paid memberships.

A sticker costs $2.49, its shipping $0.60. If they start selling stickers for ~$12.50, you pay ~$13 for a donation of $10 to Apolyton. Something I think much more people would be willing to do (rather than buy random stuff from the store).

But then again, I just don't know why Dan and Mark don't want regular donations in the first place, so I'm just trying to bring up some alternatives. And more than just saying "click on banners more often", or "buy more from the store".

Well, the only reason against donations or payed memberships I can think of is that they do not want members to demand different treatment. E.g. "Hey! I pay $10 every month, you can't ban me!". I don't think they want that, and neither would I.
If ever they do start accepting money, that should be purely voluntary and unconditional, unrelated to the "service", as you mention.
Old July 21, 2003, 14:47   #54
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

@@!!fc44##, Panag!

* Asuka throws in a Hitler card.

That's the ACS store. You are apparently trying to move on sidetrack this whole issue and point a less experienced Apolytoner to the wrong place. Get a dictonary and see that store doesn't equal with sponsored membership. Do I have to write a full explanation or can you get it that you are talking trash here? Argh! Shut up or at least stay to facts.

And Skanky and Mercator are right that the store incomes are very minimal and neither can the prices be increased that much as people will abstain buying stuff then. Also selling some special priced bumber stickers would be just pure idiocy. Who would want to pay extra for the delivery, when you buy a service (paid membership)? No, it has to be done properly and in a working manner.
sjee , you dont have to get angry , .......

the store is better then nothing since there is nothing else for the moment , .....

well , you could buy a server and put it in front of Dan's house and hope that he uses it , ..........
Old July 21, 2003, 17:28   #55
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
Holy ****, why does something called Skynet actually exist?
Old July 21, 2003, 18:53   #56
Kuciwalker
Deity

You know, I've found that RIGHT AFTER the forum stops giving the "server is too busy" message, the forum is *very* fast
Old July 21, 2003, 19:11   #57
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 06:53
Everyone got annoyed and stopped trying.
Old July 21, 2003, 19:12   #58
Kuciwalker
Deity

Exactly.
Old July 21, 2003, 19:20   #59
MattH
King

Local Time: 05:53
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
You know, I've found that RIGHT AFTER the forum stops giving the "server is too busy" message, the forum is *very* fast
Hmmm, maybe it's cause we've gone off to do other things

Old July 21, 2003, 19:21   #60
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Exactly.