Old July 19, 2003, 10:03   #1
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Our World 520AD
340AD: rush temple in Dominion 44G,rush temple at Havoc(54G)Rush temple at Famine(70G)…(I guess I will be remembered as “the king who learned his ppl pray” ), got cease fire with Greek…lets see how long it lasts..

360AD:troops move out, horses seems scared of the mountains,only one starts the trip over the mountains to the Roman Imperium

380AD Antium seems in disorder , chariot south of Havoc and desolation finds wandering tribe(NONE settler--> will start building roads with it)

400AD: chariot just trespassed NY territory(damn aggressive Americans), Discover Economics , start engineering. Army stationed to attack Antium next turn

420AD: Attack on Antium(which is in disorder at te moment) 3 succesfull attacks ant the flag goes down, Antium(46G,Size4(all red),marketplace) start producing pikemen. Legion on reconnaissance mission in Greece discovers ancient scroll’s of wisdom: Navigation. American Crusader discovered South of Newton , I just saw an other American horse in the south of our imperium…don’t like this

440AD: Antium grows and goes in disorder…need to rush a temple if we want to use the city(79G), Discover Scroll’s of Wisdom: Engineering…whiehoow ??

460AD meet Roman Legion, we stay at war
Science gives me the options: Sanitation and Invention, Go for Sanitation,we don’t want Invention to come soon

480AD:Greek Knight Near Apocalyptica…Size1 city, if it attacks we lose…Attack Veii with 2 unitsà Flag down, Discover American city of Atlanta and Chicago

500AD Greek Build Lighthouse, Greek breake Cease Fire and attack Apocalyptica,we lose Apocalyptica,an other greek Knight spotted near Imperialis, Roman Rush unit in Veii and kill damaged Knight. Revenge ,we Capture Veii(Piramids,31G,Size2,Barracks) Make cease Fire so I can find their last cities.
Rush Crusader in Imperialis, It will be used as defence attacker for the Xinning Cities
Discover Greek city of Herakleia

520AD lost Phalaxs vs Greek Knight,lost Xinning –capability of Imperialis, Kill the Knight, Discover Rome(with Walls!)

Screenshots will come(but it might take a while)
We discovered a lot new cities, and the greek are really becomming a tread(they destroyed Apocalyptica,and our Xinning possibilities in Imperialis...I fear they might be sending in an entire army(ie steady flow of units crippling our everyday life)

Shade
Old July 19, 2003, 10:30   #2
shade
King

small request to my SMC:
* Romans are still alive, and I believe they mus have 1 or 2 cities left to the right of Veii and Antium(some troops came out of that direction) so we should continue our efforts to make the world a beter place(ie without them )
* Due to recent Greek attacks I suggest we do some major upgrading of our defences,greeks are sending in knight as if they are sponsoring a crusade against us(they sacked Apocalyptica and did serious damage to Imperialis)

Maybe we could also use our Xinning-cities to create a few turns of steady Cashflow so we can finance upgrades,etc.

Shade
Old July 19, 2003, 16:18   #3
cavebear
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
It's a hard world we are in, with enemies on all sides and apparently being aggressive (beware of Greeks bearing doves and white flags of peace).

Naturally, we must improve our city defenses as the caliber of attacking units increases. Being militarily agressive does not mean we can relax our own defense.

Getting the Pyramids should allow us to focus our cities more on trade and production than on food. And speaking of Wonders, do we know who (if anyone) has the Great Wall? It might be worth capturing it if it is within sensible reach. Otherwise, we are going to have to build some city walls eventually.

Hurray, we got Engineering! I understand the desire not to get Invention, as we won't get any more techs from huts after that, but isn't it about time to give up on that strategy? How many more huts can there be with several civs exploring the map? We need Gunpowder to get to Musketeers (for defense) and then Engineers for improved terrain and road development.

I look forward to the screenshots, so I can understand our situation better.

Good work in tough times, President Shade! Once you kill off the Romans, we can turn our attention to other problem civs (the Greeks come swiftly to mind, but it depends on who is closest to our mighty armies...).

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old July 19, 2003, 17:27   #4
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Next hut should be Invention, so our tech accumulation ends at Navigation, missing only Physics, Magnetism Steam Engine, Sanitation and Atomic Theory.

Now, we should start driving towards Fundamentalism,
needing only Gunpowder, Metallurgy, Conscription and Fundamentalism.

I strongly reject the suggestion of capturing the Great Wall because we are only two techs away from Metallurgy, which renders the walls obsolete.

As for city defenses, just replace the warriors with Pikes, and then Musketeers, which will deter any noble knights infringing our territory.

We should poll on the wonders, should we capture any wonders, or raze the city to the ground? Shall I post the poll?
Old July 19, 2003, 17:43   #5
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:55
The people demand screenshots so they know what they are voting about
Old July 19, 2003, 18:23   #6
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

I strongly reject the suggestion of capturing the Great Wall because we are only two techs away from Metallurgy, which renders the walls obsolete.
Metallurgy is 3 techs sideways, which is a long time away. It's is as far away now as Engineering was at the start of the game. Think about that!
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old July 19, 2003, 20:35   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
The people demand screenshots so they know what they are voting about
/me offers to post screenshots for our beleagured and overworked man with many hats (including some black ones it seems)...also known as President, King, Acting Vice President (has our Vice President been seen since the election?), Sometimes Acting City-Planner, and some other names which Apolyton might **** out.

If anyone is online and has requests for specific screenshots, feel free to post them.

Sparrowhawk
Science Minister

(who is most pleased to see the development of Economics, the discovery of Navigation, and the discovery of Engineering. Though I apologize for not having the foresight to poll on the next choice of Technologies, it seems that Sanitation was an excellent choice, for the time when we get our unhappiness under control and can grow past our current city sizes)
Old July 19, 2003, 21:52   #8
cavebear
Emperor

I understand that our beloved President is overworked, but it would be nice to see the usual assortment of screenshots, F1-F12, taxrate, Powergraph, areas of the map that are most significant, etc.
Old July 19, 2003, 22:23   #9
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Science:

Defense:

Foreign:

Demographics:

Old July 19, 2003, 22:30   #10
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Edit: Post deleted as the links did not work the first time.

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; July 19, 2003 at 22:36.
Old July 19, 2003, 22:35   #11
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Hope this helps our citizens to get a better picture of the empire, I will follow up with maps as soon as I have them done, but might not be tonight.

/me Science Minister
Old July 19, 2003, 22:58   #12
cavebear
Emperor

Wonderful job, Sparrowhawk! We, the humble citizens of the realm, appreciate the information.

It seems to me that our demographics are rather dismal.
Old July 20, 2003, 06:23   #13
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
It's is as far away now as Engineering was at the start of the game. Think about that!

Not quite. There are more than 3 techs required to research Engineering from the start of the game.
Anyway, I thought our people clamoured for the joys of a fundamentalist government, which requires Metallurgy.

Also, we will soon be getting Invention, so we will only need to research Gunpowder and then Metallurgy. Hardly far off, Cavebear, unless we favour another research path towards Railroad, Engineers or Dragoons.

Finally, we are Mighty! A stunning rebuke for the prosperity of our empire, that we have allowed another feeble foe to surpass the glorious Apolytonian Imperium.
Old July 20, 2003, 11:16   #14
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Continuing on...

Powergraph:

World:

Tax Rate:
http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Spa...xRate520AD.jpg

And for the maps, which will follow as soon as I have them pieced together, they are in a seperate thread (a la MrWhereItsAt)

Hope this is of some help.

Sparrowhawk
Sceince Minister
Old July 20, 2003, 12:02   #15
shade
King

Thank you very much for taking this weight of my shoulders and posting the screens Sparrowhawk...Have been a little bussy in RL(I have to tutor some ppl and "De Gentse Feesten" has just start so I went to bed somewhere around 6h30 this morning ... auwch)

But don't worry any specific question regarding our current situation I'll try to answer asap.

in 2 or 3 days things should again slow down(~ by the time the next session starts, am I good or what )

Shade
Old July 20, 2003, 19:03   #16
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:55
Question for Hydey, why are we building 6 settlers but no more crooks?

Dont tell me we're going pascifist all of a sudden?
Old July 21, 2003, 07:06   #17
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:

I have no control over what units are built, that is under the control of the city planning minister (missing) and the president.

All I can do is request more soldiers and hope that common sence prevails and they give me more soldiers

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 21, 2003, 13:11   #18
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
Not quite. There are more than 3 techs required to research Engineering from the start of the game.
Anyway, I thought our people clamoured for the joys of a fundamentalist government, which requires Metallurgy.

Also, we will soon be getting Invention, so we will only need to research Gunpowder and then Metallurgy. Hardly far off, Cavebear, unless we favour another research path towards Railroad, Engineers or Dragoons.
If we were permitted absolute control over the techs we research, I would agree. But our tech rate is currently 19 turns, and we have gotten almost all our techs so far through tipping huts. As soon as we get invention, that stops. We will be basically forced to research our way through the tech columns, as the AI offers them up. And calculations or not, the game essentially forces you to stay to close to discovering items in near columns (by limiting options offerred).

Even *if* we could go straight through the chart as we pleased, 4 techs (plus finishing Sanitation) will take about 80 turns (and we're not going to reduce that by much in Monarchy), to turns per session, and we are looking 8 sessions before we reach Fundamentalism - 2 months from now!

That's close enough to "from the start" to meet my original statement.

If we can substatially reduce our tech rate (and get lucky with the huts before they stop handing out techs), wonderful! Any reduction in tech advancement rate will be helpful I just don't want us thinking we are going to get beyond Monarchy in the next few sessions when we surely cannot.

Quote:
Finally, we are Mighty! A stunning rebuke for the prosperity of our empire, that we have allowed another feeble foe to surpass the glorious Apolytonian Imperium.
Which civ does that make our new "key civ" for tech rate purposes? I don't have my chart handy. Maybe we can improve our tech rate by dumping some obsolete tech on someone we have contact with.

Old July 21, 2003, 15:43   #19
shade
King

Quote:

orders of deputy city planner: size cities build settlers after temple, they will be used for growing our core cities,...and later improvements

Shade
Old July 21, 2003, 17:40   #20
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
All I can do is request more soldiers and hope that common sence prevails and they give me more soldiers
also a little sidenote...any idea why I'm building diplo's for exploring?

Shade
Old July 22, 2003, 05:52   #21
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shade

Shade
I would not be using diplos for exploring, they are much better used to bribe cities perhaps the foreign minister may like those silly embassy things

Old July 24, 2003, 19:03   #22
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Has our esteemed King/President Shade indicated when he would next like to see a turning of the sun around our glorious planet?

Not sure where the polls are at, but I think some are closed and all should be closed soon.

/me the impatient
Old July 24, 2003, 19:07   #23
shade
King

as soon as my ministers think the moment has come to send their reports...

*steps over to our SMC...wispers something about calling the amazons back from the ministers to make sure they have enough time to finish their reports asap*

Shade
Old July 24, 2003, 20:11   #24
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:

Shade
Is that a question you are asking for yourself, or is it a test for the citizenry?
Old July 25, 2003, 07:45   #25
Hydey
Emperor

Please don't question our king

Old July 25, 2003, 11:58   #26
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear

Is that a question you are asking for yourself, or is it a test for the citizenry?
A test to check the average citizen intellegence.(Wouldn't want an imperium filled with adult ppl who can't multiply with zero )

Shade
Old July 25, 2003, 16:27   #27
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:

Shade
They are the cheapest unit that moves 2 squares and, of course, they can establish an embassy by reaching any city of another civ. And since they ignore zones of control, they can pass by unfriendly units without detouring.

Old July 26, 2003, 08:56   #28
Hydey
Emperor

yeah well just stop building them

Old July 26, 2003, 14:30   #29
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I don't believe I recommended building diplomats, so don't go blaming the deputy cityplanner.
Old July 26, 2003, 15:30   #30
cavebear
Emperor

Well, why *are* we building Diplomats? Inquiring minds want to know!