Old July 19, 2003, 21:02   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Atkins diet.
I just started the Atkins diet today and I thought I'd post a thread to see what people think of the Atkins plan. I've heard lots of good noise about it and one of the fellows at work used it to lose 30 pounds(!!) in the one month he's been on it plus he eats like a horse.

So have any of you carnivores out there tried this diet?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 19, 2003, 21:14   #2
Space05us
King

Local Time: 17:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I tried it once, I felt like absolute **** the first day and said screw that Im still young, Im going to live!
Old July 19, 2003, 21:18   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Well, being a vegetarian, I don't have much nice to say about it... except that you'd lose alot of weight at a natural and healthy pace if you went vegetarian, and would still be able to eat alot more then just beef and pasta.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 19, 2003, 21:45   #4
Oerdin
Deity

I'd like to lose 20 pounds so I can get back into game form and I love eatting dead animals to much to ever become a vegitarian. Still the idea of being a vegitarian does intrigue me...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 19, 2003, 21:47   #5
red_jon
NationStates
King

Only eat stinging nettles. You'll lose tons of weight I promise.
Old July 19, 2003, 22:00   #6
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:57
I have an uncle who goes on it every year for a month to shed some pounds. He loses about 10 pounds every year, which is good, because I guess at a certain age weight starts kreeping up on you.

Sell your photos
Old July 19, 2003, 22:03   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:57
About 15 in my case.

The concept of the Atkins diet has never rested easy on my mind. You are tricking your body into thinking it is starving by depriving it of carbohydrates and driving it into ketoacidosis...I wouldn't have thought that in the long run this would be very good for your major organs - or your breath And I'm sure the long term effects of eating nothing but those foods can't be good for your digestive tract either...you need a good amount of roughage for clearance which goes hand in hand with the presence of starch...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 19, 2003, 22:16   #8
Space05us
King

Local Time: 17:57
A doctor explained how it works to me before. It all sounds good, but I just cant go with out sweets or caffiene. I live off of Mt. Dew and Tea.
Old July 19, 2003, 22:19   #9
Oerdin
Deity

My big hang up is having to give up beer. It's not like I drink all that much but I like sitting down, watching a game on tv, and drinking a beer.
Old July 19, 2003, 22:24   #10
red_jon
NationStates
King

By the way, my stinging nettles diet, aka The Redfern Diet, is mine mine mine.
Old July 19, 2003, 22:38   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Oerdin, I recently tried it, here's what I found.

during induction, the first two weeks, I lost about 5 pounds. Eating meat was great, a bit boring however. Very difficult not to touch bread or pasta or beer. I also got really tired, to bed around 11 each night-the no caffeine rule played a part in that.

I enjoyed being on it, but it was hard to do at this point in my life-it really takes your partner to want to do it as well, and my wife didn't like it at all. she has to be willingto eat stuff by herself, and, well... So if I were single again, it would be easy, I could eat deli meat and burgers all day.

the bars and shakes help out a lot with the sugar cravings, but they tend to be a lot more expensive than other diet foods, ie. slim fast.

good luck
Old July 19, 2003, 22:58   #12
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 23:57
My mom tried it for a while, becam ketotic (sp?), and quit. It really ****s with your liver enzymes. To get the full benefit, you basically have to commit for life. I've seen a number of people who quit and almost immediately gained the weight back.
Old July 19, 2003, 23:00   #13
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
When it comes to diet I've found that specialized bars don't seem to be very digestible.

The shakes on the other hand are awesome and go right into your system.

Mis Novias
Old July 19, 2003, 23:35   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
My mom tried it for a while, becam ketotic (sp?), and quit. It really ****s with your liver enzymes. To get the full benefit, you basically have to commit for life. I've seen a number of people who quit and almost immediately gained the weight back.
That is the problem, it is a lifestyle change. You can take in more carbs slowly, but you'll never eat the same again, which is really hard.

eating at restaurants is certainly interesting. no appetizers. basicaly only steaks and chicken. burgers with no buns. maybe a salad. quite different. your appetite will be way down, which is good at least.
Old July 20, 2003, 02:23   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I don't recommmend a strict adkins diet. That can be hard on your body as other posters have said. Although one alternative would be to go in stages. It makes the adjustment much easier.

But eating meat is good because it makes you feel more full. I do recommend not eating useless carbs. Cut out as much bread as you can, don't eat white rice. Cut your refined sugar to a minimum. I do recommend eating vegetables, fruites, and dairy products like normal. Just try to cut the carbs.

Here's why it works. I can eat a bowl of ramen noodles and be hungry in two hours. If I ate the same amount in meat (or even dairy) I wouldn't be as hungry in two hours.
Old July 20, 2003, 02:26   #16
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 23:57
i don't see what's wrong with just eating following hte food pyramid or whatever it is.

but i'm not a psuedodoctor, so i wouldn't know.
Old July 20, 2003, 02:45   #17
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
But eating meat is good because it makes you feel more full. I do recommend not eating useless carbs. Cut out as much bread as you can, don't eat white rice. Cut your refined sugar to a minimum. I do recommend eating vegetables, fruites, and dairy products like normal. Just try to cut the carbs.
Thats basically what i've decided upon. Much more reasonable on the body and spirit that way, rather than to go without everything.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:13   #18
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
Could you post some things on that diet?

I need to loose weight, too. around 30-40 pounds. damn college.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:29   #19
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I know Darth Veda is (or was) on the Atkins Diet, I can't remember how well it worked for him though
Old July 20, 2003, 03:41   #20
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Could you post some things on that diet?

I need to loose weight, too. around 30-40 pounds. damn college.
Ok, a brief overview from memory:

Induction phase
First 2-4 weeks

1. eat 3 regular meals, or 4-5 smaller ones per day
2. eat lots fish, poultry, eggs, red meat and pure natural fat like butter and mayonaise
3. eat no more than 20 grams of carbs per day, most of which should come from a salad-you can eat three cups of lettuce or two cups lettuce and one cup tomato
4. dont eat any fruit,bread, pasta, grains, or dairy, other than cheese cream or butter. Also avoid beans of most types
5. eat to fullness, but not stuffed
6. read the labels on foods, look out for hidden carbs in salad dressing and gravies
7. Avoid foods and drinks with aspartame. Instead use sucralose or sacchrin, but each packet has one gram carbs
8. no caffeine
9, 8 8 ounce glasses of water per day

So do that for 2-4 weeks and you will lose a lot of weight, trust me. The problem is with the cheating. Your appetite will decrease a lot.

After that time, then you begin consuming a few more carbs, slowly at first, until you reach your target weight then stabilize.

Basically for the first couple weeks you just eat meat and cheese and eggs. I think its 4 or five slices of cheese per day. And a salad. Its not that bad, actually, weird to eat deli meat without bread.

so look at the package and see if it has carbs. Particularly stay away from the stuff high in sugars. Bad news there.

Hope this helps. Get the book, its relatively cheap, and quick to read.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:49   #21
Az
Emperor

H-Tower: I remember him losing quite a lot of weight.

ASATW: thanks a bundle. There seems to be a problem, though. I am still living with my parents, and that includes grandma. I think that she's one of the reason for my excess weight. I don't want to hurt her.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:52   #22
Solly
Emperor

I think the best advice given in this diet is that, "eat to fullness, but not stuffed" - if people did that anyway, the West wouldn't have the fat problem.

For those with questions about this, it's best to buy one of the Atkins-written books. A lot of people will try to tell you different things about this diet and proclaim to be experts. The fact is Atkins has referenced hundreds upon hundreds of sources showing that his way of eating is very healthy.

Sure, it goes against conventional wisdom, but there are ZERO health problems that arise from it and a lot of advantages (lower cholesterol, lower weight, etc).

It is a men's diet. The diet has been shown not to reduce lean muscle at all - something regular low-far, high-carb diets have been shown to do. The weight you lose on Atkins is fat, not lean tissue.

Buy the book.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:53   #23
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
ASATW: thanks a bundle. There seems to be a problem, though. I am still living with my parents, and that includes grandma. I think that she's one of the reason for my excess weight. I don't want to hurt her.
Yes, that is a huge problem. Grandmas=fat I certainly will never make my kids finish their plates yadda yadda.

Its a very hard diet to do when you're living with someone else, unless they are on it with you. difficult to sit down and eat two chicken breasts while everyone is eating potatoes and vegetables and breads.

But what you can do is what Diss suggested and cut down on the processed foods-sugars and breads. It will help out a lot.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:55   #24
Az
Emperor

But I like my cereals.

I thought about taking the Atkins diet when I move out of the house, and if and when I lose that weight, I'll switch to a veganier diet. is it possible. or will the sudden shift cause my abdomen to explode, and spray sulfuric acid?
Old July 20, 2003, 03:58   #25
Solly
Emperor

Yes, it also cause your kidneys to pack up since you are eating 1 kg of protein a day, and everybody will be able to smell you coming 50 yards away.
Old July 20, 2003, 04:02   #26
Az
Emperor

1 kg of protein?
Old July 20, 2003, 04:03   #27
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
But I like my cereals.

I thought about taking the Atkins diet when I move out of the house, and if and when I lose that weight, I'll switch to a veganier diet. is it possible. or will the sudden shift cause my abdomen to explode, and spray sulfuric acid?

Cereal is a problem, thats for sure. I miss mine, ahh frosted flakes, loaded with sugary goodness.

Once you lose that weight, moving to a balanced diet with lots of vegetables is probably ok. I would ease into however, who knows what is going on in there.

And yes, you might need a laxative or something if you get constipated due to lack of fiber (I haven't had that problem, BTW )
Old July 20, 2003, 04:10   #28
Az
Emperor

Oh ****.
Old July 20, 2003, 04:30   #29
Solly
Emperor

You can still eat fibrous vegetables that are low in carbs: cauliflower, white cabbage...
Old July 20, 2003, 05:42   #30
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I live off of Mt. Dew and Tea.
Yup, I'm a Dew addict. But I have noticed the principle of the Atkin's diet at work even if I don't practice it faithfully. If I cut down on pizza I can drop 10lbs real quick, so the reduction in carbs really does make a big difference.