Old July 20, 2003, 08:56   #61
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh well, it's not happening Prov. Buy the book and read the proof. You never were a conservative, siding with the traditional orthodoxy. Why now.
Old July 20, 2003, 08:58   #62
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I'm not, I'm just wary of shortcuts...it is all about getting a balanced diet and exercise...I know I should practice what I preach.

Oh, and how does your breath smell at the moment Stew?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 20, 2003, 08:59   #63
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
here, Richard. have some diet coke instead. Only one Calorie per can.
I do drink diet coke because my teeth seem to be very prone to caries.
Old July 20, 2003, 08:59   #64
Solly
Emperor

All the myths are coming out now aren't they.
Old July 20, 2003, 09:01   #65
Provost Harrison
Deity

Myths? Well acetoacetic acid, a primary ketone body, does break down into acetone readily...which causes that smell on the breath, usually associated with diabetes.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 20, 2003, 09:09   #66
Firelad
Settler

Local Time: 07:57
Well, sounds like a grand diet indeed. Just leave out the healthy stuff and eat lots of fat stuff with protein.
Good.
Wanna be slim AND healthy? Live on rice and veggies, meat once or twice a week. Also exercise - if you do this you can also have your beer... Wanna suffer from malnutrition? Do this. AND no beer. :P
Old July 20, 2003, 09:09   #67
lightblue
Warlord

Pfft, diets... I eat everything (lots of bread, pasta, rice, meat), drink a lot, and I am lean. The trick is to do exercise people... 2 hours of exercise a day and you can get away with 2 times the recommended dose of calories, just as i do.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 20, 2003, 09:12   #68
Provost Harrison
Deity

Lightblue is correct, it is all about balance. I must confess, I don't practice what I preach, but if I just have the swimming three times a week (about an hour or so solid) my equilibrium shifts considerably...but it has to be something sustainable, a lifestyle change...

Old July 20, 2003, 13:45   #69
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 22:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Firelad
Well, sounds like a grand diet indeed. Just leave out the healthy stuff and eat lots of fat stuff with protein.
Good.
Wanna be slim AND healthy? Live on rice and veggies, meat once or twice a week. Also exercise - if you do this you can also have your beer... Wanna suffer from malnutrition? Do this. AND no beer. :P
good luck. Asians may be able to do it. But when you are overweight this stuff doesn't fill you up.

I just reduced portion sized. but as I mentioned earlier, I did reduce some of my carbs. But I would never go on a strict adkins diet. Veggies and fruits are too important. But I do say to knock out bread, rice, potatos, and refined sugar. Those aren't healthy for you. esp. white bread
Old July 20, 2003, 13:47   #70
Solly
Emperor

You eat vegetables on Atkins.
Old July 20, 2003, 13:47   #71
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue
Pfft, diets... I eat everything (lots of bread, pasta, rice, meat), drink a lot, and I am lean. The trick is to do exercise people... 2 hours of exercise a day and you can get away with 2 times the recommended dose of calories, just as i do.
that's not true.

What kind of excersize do you do? run a friggin' marathon?

excersize doesn't burn that many calories. Most people don't have the stamina to do it for more than 20 or 30 minutes. And it's not worth the lost time to your life. There has yet to be conclusive evidence that excersize increases your lifespan. Being fit increases your lifespan- but some people can be fit without ever excersizing. I wish I was one of those people .

Reducing you calorie intake is the surefire way to lose weight. But that takes discipline.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:00   #72
Provost Harrison
Deity

General increase in metabolism Dissident, not just the exercise itself...

Old July 20, 2003, 14:07   #73
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

metabolism doens't increase magically. trust me, I tried it.

some people just have a naturally low metabolism- like me. excersize didn't help it out at all.

what it did do though, is help quell my hunger. Yes suprisingly, after excersizing, I wasn't hungry. I actually have an easier time eating less when I'm exersizing. But it didin't do **** for my metabolism. It has been the same all along.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:08   #74
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Most people don't have the stamina to do it for more than 20 or 30 minutes.
Well yeah, not when they're just starting out. It takes time, effort, and patience.

Quote:
There has yet to be conclusive evidence that excersize increases your lifespan.
If anyone who was overweight/borderline would start a moderate exercise and take on a sensible diet (not this Atkins crap), they would probably avoid every known risk factor for being overweight, from diabetes to hypertension.

I take on a little protein because I like to lift weights, but I wouldn't do Atkins. If people would substitute good foods for junk, and exercise regularly, it wouldn't be such a problem. But, people eat badly, stress out, and let their egos run wild, and then wonder why they look and feel like sh*t.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:10   #75
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

well I agree. If people ate right from the start, they wouldn't gain weight and wouldn't need such an extreme diet.

but once you gain that weight, it can be difficult to take off.

It was easy for me because I have a strong discipline, and I have low taste buds, I never got that much enjoyment out of food anyways.
Old July 20, 2003, 14:37   #76
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
If people ate right and didn't have a terrible lifestyle, they wouldn't be facing these problems... du-h!
Old July 20, 2003, 14:51   #77
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
If people ate right and didn't have a terrible lifestyle, they wouldn't be facing these problems... du-h!
Well, at least in American society, it's not quite the no-brainer it seems.

I have members of my family who are seriously overweight, and suffer badly from it, like diabetes. The prevailing culture says it ok to stress out, eat badly, and work yourself into the ground so you can invest in making money, and acquiring material things.

But, when you start to talk about fitness and diet as an investment, it's suddenly not worth pursuing, or excuses like 'Im too busy, not enough time".

Fad diets will do nothing if you can't make an investment in yourself.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 20, 2003, 15:04   #78
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
metabolism doens't increase magically. trust me, I tried it.

some people just have a naturally low metabolism- like me. excersize didn't help it out at all.

what it did do though, is help quell my hunger. Yes suprisingly, after excersizing, I wasn't hungry. I actually have an easier time eating less when I'm exersizing. But it didin't do **** for my metabolism. It has been the same all along.
What kind of exercise were you using? You need pretty strong aerobic exercise...it works for me when I do it and I do not have a particularly high metabolic rate.
Old July 20, 2003, 15:11   #79
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

that's not true.

What kind of excersize do you do? run a friggin' marathon?

excersize doesn't burn that many calories. Most people don't have the stamina to do it for more than 20 or 30 minutes. And it's not worth the lost time to your life. There has yet to be conclusive evidence that excersize increases your lifespan. Being fit increases your lifespan- but some people can be fit without ever excersizing. I wish I was one of those people .

Reducing you calorie intake is the surefire way to lose weight. But that takes discipline.
I row (crew i think you Americans call it). I do about 20km a day on the water, 3*1hr (16-7km) on the machine a week. Add to that regular weight sessions. I do the rowing usually between 6 and 8am, then the rest for an hour in the late afternoon, early evening.

So yes it is an awful lot, but I find it better to spend time doing it than sleeping or watching TV.

Exercise is the single best proven healthy way of losing bodyfat. I haven't lost much weight if any, since seriously turning up the training regime, but I have reduced my bodyfat percentage from 16% to 9%.

In the meanwhile my average food intake will look sometime like this: couple of bananas before the morning outing, full fried breakfast (3 eggs, 3 rashers of bacon, 3 sausages, hashbrown, toast, beans, tomatoes), couple of sandwiches for lunch, about 500g of pasta for dinner. In between I snack a lot, mostly Jaffa cakes, chocolate bars and fruit. I'll drink on average about 2 litres of juice, 2 litres of softdrinks and about 3 pints of beer (but I binge drink those).

Caloric restriction only works for lengthening your life if you do it seriously, ie if you cut it to about 30-40% of the recommended amount. And even then it's only shown in rodents and not humans.

Diets should only really be used by people who have some sort of disability that does not allow them to exercise, imo of course.

All remotely serious rowers eat and drink what they want (apart from the lightweights, but people starving themselves down to 72kg at 1m90 are playing a dangerous game), and almost all will have low body fat percentages (mainly because as a crew you want to minimise weight for maximum power, we use tests such Watts produced per kilogram of body mass).
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 20, 2003, 16:27   #80
Evil Knevil
Prince

I sometimes go for days without food, when I'm working.....

But I still don't lose much weight! Bah!
Mon: One cookie.
Tue: One cheese sandwich.
Wed, I had 1 round of ham sandwiches.
Thurs, nothing.
Fri, nothing.
Sat: two rounds of tuna sandwiches and matchbox full of smarties.
Sun. Beans on toast.

I only lost one pound (135->134lb) (although it wasn't a deliberate diet!) Bah

Advice: start smoking. I smoke about 20-30 a day. It really can destroy your appetite, making them a decent (and marginally cheaper) alternative to food
Old July 20, 2003, 16:31   #81
Solly
Emperor

Average day for me...

Brekkie: 3 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs

Lunch: Beef, bacon or chicken salad (with a lot of full-fat mayo!!)

Dinner: Steak with cabbage or cauliflower

Snack: Jelly with double cream

I started six weeks ago at just above 14 stone (198 lbs) and weighed in this morning at 13 stone (182).
Old July 20, 2003, 17:21   #82
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:57
Now how did this thread get so far without me walking in here? I will single-handedly give the anti-atkins folks a walk with my sig.
Old July 21, 2003, 02:56   #83
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 23:57
Hmm. The latest studies indicate that while people on the Atkins diet lose weight faster *initially,* by the time a year has passed, their weight loss is no different from the people who simply changed their eating habits and got regular exercise. I belong to the latter group.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old July 21, 2003, 02:58   #84
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Addendum to the above: I've dropped 45 pounds since November by simply eating healthier and getting at least 15 minutes — sometimes more, but no more than 45 minutes to an hour — of exercise a day.

Gatekeeper

Old July 22, 2003, 07:33   #85
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
I've realized that my military pants don't fit anymore. I've decided to take some drastic action.

My carbohydrate intake today was a tablespoon of rice, and some veggies.
Old July 24, 2003, 01:18   #86
Lung
King

Local Time: 15:57
I haven't gone on to the Atkins diet, but i have gone back to a more traditional amount of carbs, and it works. My problem with it is that it sounds like an excuse for people to eat badly (and the no beer rule). However, for people who have failed at all other diets, it's a dead cert

At the end of the day though, fat people are people who eat too much and/or get not enough excercise. I love it when fat people either;

*in order to gain sympathy, eat like sparrows in front of everyone else and eat like a piggery when no one's watching, or;

*eat like a piggery in front of everyone else, claiming fat pride

Fat people - stop eating like pigs, and at least walk to wherever it is where you intend to do it instead of getting a cab!
Old July 24, 2003, 03:19   #87
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 00:57
Most doctors I have talked to say the Atkins is bad news, so try it at your own risk. It does work for some though.
Old July 24, 2003, 03:27   #88
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Unlike Stew, I don't drink to excess. Touche!
I do it is my great weakness the the cause of my beer belly.

Still I figure I just have to keep up with the adkins for 2-3 months and I'll be back at 185 which is the weight I was for years and years. Not bad for being 6'1".

So far (5 days into it) I've been completely loyal to the Atkins diet except I didn't know 0 calery selsers that contain aspertane (a suger substitute) weren't allowed. I had two of them before I figured it out. Apartently aspertane acts like caffine and slows your metabolism down so it is a no-no. I have been keeping up with the excersize plan though. I plan to weight in once per week so next Sunday I'll give you guys an update.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 24, 2003, 03:30   #89
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Myths? Well acetoacetic acid, a primary ketone body, does break down into acetone readily...which causes that smell on the breath, usually associated with diabetes.
Yes, I read about the keytones and yes I've noticed them. I just brush my teeth twice a day and chew on parsley after lunch. So far no one has said anything to me. I hope that's a good sign.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 24, 2003, 03:35   #90
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Y'know what, Lung? You're pretty rude about certain things. Yes, there are so-called lardbutts out there who are that simply because they eat too much and get too little exercise. There are also lardbutts out there whose problems are rooted in genetics.

We've all been envious of the folks who can eat anything in the world, in significant quantities, and never gain a pound. That's been tied to genetics. It goes to reason that the opposite is true as well — and research is proving this — that there are populations out there who pretty pack on the pounds no matter how much or how little they eat, or their exerise levels. It's tied to genetics. Hell, they've found that there are entire populations who are more likely to become addicted to various drugs — tobacco, for example — because, somewhere in their genetic makeup, a switch has been flipped, oftentimes due to no conscious action of their own.

Now this isn't an excuse for folks to "go with the flow," so to speak, but it puts things in perspective, IMO.

Gatekeeper