Old July 20, 2003, 16:33   #1
RedWolf
Settler

Local Time: 06:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why does the No Limits Patch seem to be broken?
I've encountered a few problems with Civ2 MGE and a few helpfull people were able to narrow it down to the Game.txt file that comes with the "No Limits" patch.

basically a few wierd things were happening to me in the game: ie:

-Civs stealing techs and the game NOT giving me the opportunity to break the peace treaty through the "this is a valid pretext for war" message screen.

-Also civs contacting me and when I asked for a cease fire they told me that they would grant this but only if I declared war on some other civ - but the dialog provided me with NO options to choose.

When looking in the games.txt file i noticed an extra space in the text for the "cease fire situation" listed above. I have corrected it but haven't played again so I'm unable to tell if it has fixed the problem. I've redownloaded the same no limits patch (from civfanatics) and that game.txt file is the same as the one I'm currently running so maybe there are in fact bugs in it (although I'm surprised that nobody else has noticed it in the past if this is the case)

The no limits patch that I have is dated October 2000 (which is the same version that both civfanatics and Apolyton have posted) so I was wondering if anybody here has a newer version or would know where I could download a newer version.

Somebody told me that they think Julius Brenzaida has posted a fixed game.txt file somewhere on apolyton. Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old July 20, 2003, 18:14   #2
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
There is indeed only one version of the no-limits add-on.
You are correct that game.txt may cause a few, very limited problems, but not of the kind that you're having. I've never heard of those ones. Could you be more specific about the version that you have, especially the country.
I did the no-limit from the french version of the game and it looks like they was a very slight difference with the french game.txt, hence what is said above, but it should not alter game play as it did with you. As you poihnt out, many more people would have noticed !
Removing the double space was if I can remember the correct thing to do.
Yes, I did put a patch, maybe in 2001. It should be either on the help/creation or general forum.
But anyway, all the real changes are in the civ2.exe file. I am quite convinced that if you play with your original game.txt and my civ2.exe, there should be no problem, or if it does, it should not be related to my patch.
I hope it helps ...
Keep me informed.
Old July 20, 2003, 18:45   #3
RedWolf
Settler

Hi. Didn't expect an answer directly from you. Thanks.

I'm using the very latest patch for Civ 2 MGE. For a long time I was installing the no limits patch and THEN installing the latest game patch. I didn't realize this at the time but this was basically doing nothing due to the fact that the patch was overwriting the no limits.

Eventually I tried it the other way - game patch and THEN no limits at which time the problems started arising.

Since I now have confirmation that this isn't a known issue with the patch I'm going to try wiping all three from my drive - the game, the patch and no limits and do a complete reinstall. Then see if the problem recreates itself.

You mention that when using the patch with the original game.txt file I should experience no problems. Does this mean that your patch doesn't actually change the games.txt file?

Thanks again for your help.
Old July 20, 2003, 18:54   #4
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
I just found back the thread fixing the problem and give it another reply to put it on top.
But all problems known so far were concerning, the menu.txt, where one lines need to be changed, otherwise names don't correspond in the english version.

Yes, you're right : 1st MGE, then the official patch, then my no limits.

I hex edited a few number of the civ2.exe and they make all the difference. Menu.txt and game.txt are only used to say my patch is installed and to claim that 32767 squares maps are possible. If you use your original game.txt, the program will say only 10000 with random maps but shall accept 32767 anyway. No big deal.

I think and hope that a reinstallation shall make everything work properly.