Old July 21, 2003, 00:46   #1
ETF
Settler

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MP Max players
Was playing on my LAN and could only get 4 players to play. Whats up with that? Is that the limit 4 MP players. I could of course add AI's. Is the limit for 4 MP?

Thanks

I did a search but could not locate it............
Old July 21, 2003, 10:23   #2
ETF
Settler

OK guys I have read that the program RECOMMENDS 4 players max for MP gaming but is this written in stone (code) . I have a hard time believing that such a quality product as this can only have 4 players at a time. Anyway to edit this?
I really don't want to leave our 5th and 6th player in the cold.

PLEASE anyone help?
Old July 21, 2003, 11:05   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
Well the recommendation is a good one, ive played a game with 5 players in and the resynchs were heavy from about 50 turns onwards. You could try 6 players but

An idea to fit the other players in your game why not have 2 players on one civ?
Old July 21, 2003, 13:23   #4
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Ditto what Maq said; i have only had four human players in a game before, set up a dummy one with 5 and got loads more resynch's than usual - so stick with four to be safe or play 2 lots and have a mini tournament.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old July 24, 2003, 20:15   #5
ETF
Settler

OK thanks guys but how do I try 5 machines.......Had no probs with 4 and all are very fast machines. The problem I'm having is when the 5th joins it says the game is full. Am I missing something.

Oh and how can you have 2 players on one civ?
-just select the same nation?
Old July 25, 2003, 05:10   #6
child of Thor
Emperor

Its been awhile but if you select AI civs as well as human players i think the max total(human+Ai's) number is 7(6?), anyway it's not the total of 8civs you can choose in single player.

I was using Pc's at work, all on a standard network(same specs each machine) and i just set up the game as usual. A pc to host it and the other human players joined through the TCP/IP option.

As multiplayer is fairly sensitive(unstable ) i wouldn't be surprised if your network setup included different spec pc's(network cards etc) it might cause a few strange happenings.
If like me your machines are all the same, then maybe try using a different pc to host, it can be that weird sometimes!

Oh yeah you could have two players sharing one civ.......just on the same machine only and do a kind of turn/hotseat thing. But you cant play one civ from two different pc's if that is what you were hopeing to do.

[hmmm.....If things are just not working i'll be able to setup again on my network at work and run it through some tests. The downside of this is i wont be able to do it until September! ]
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Last edited by child of Thor; July 25, 2003 at 05:16.
Old July 25, 2003, 08:36   #7
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
Quote:
Its been awhile but if you select AI civs as well as human players i think the max total(human+Ai's) number is 7(6?), anyway it's not the total of 8civs you can choose in single player.
The total players human mixed with AI, is 8, and there MAYbe a maximum of 4 human players in any game, although im sure ive played with 5 before.

The readme does recommend 4 humans max and that suggests there isnt a hardcoded human limit to the overall 8 limit. Best way to find out remove all AI's, thats if you had any before.
Old July 25, 2003, 09:16   #8
child of Thor
Emperor

Ah yes i should have said if you are playing MP in Craddle(i think!) then the limit is 6 or 7. One is reserved for a barbarian AI civ, and does some weird stuff(maybe crash to desktop) if you don't give it some space from startup(if it even lets you launch........like i said its been a while ).

Old July 25, 2003, 09:35   #9
ETF
Settler

Well ok thanks gents. I do alot of beta testing and have a 8 machine LAN. Since I do mostly MP LAN testing I know they work perfectly. I am using all XP and most machines are exactly same. I have hosted with all the machines separtely, however max MP LAN seems to be 4 machines no matter what. With or without AI's. Strange but no where does it say this, just recommmends it. Oh well. Was hoping for a break from Hearts of Iron. I guess I shall get back on working on the Victoria Beta MP testing
Too Bad I always liked Ctp2. However I can't have 2+ people sitting on the side lines. Thanks though for all your help!
Old July 25, 2003, 10:15   #10
child of Thor
Emperor

I'm on a win98 Lan.
XP has issues with CTP2, could be another one?

Old July 25, 2003, 16:17   #11
ETF
Settler

Anyone ever run it on a LAN with more than 4 players?
Old July 25, 2003, 18:41   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: MP Max players
Quote:
Originally posted by ETF
Was playing on my LAN and could only get 4 players to play. Whats up with that? Is that the limit 4 MP players. I could of course add AI's. Is the limit for 4 MP?

Thanks

I did a search but could not locate it............
You can only start the game with 4 players but up to four more players can join you after the game is launched. Ussually, the person with the first turn waits until all 8 players have joined the game before he finishes his turn.

I've only played with up to 6 players and the resynchs aren't to bad if everyone has a broadband connection and are geographically close to one another (best if they're on the same continent).
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 25, 2003, 21:44   #13
ETF
Settler

oh ok I get it. Thanks Oerdin I appreciate it. So I can play with >4 but the 5th and 6th player would have to join dynamically once the game is started. Excellent!
Old July 29, 2003, 02:02   #14
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You got it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.