View Poll Results: What Should The Final Civ Be?
Assyrians 1 1.08%
Hebrews 18 19.35%
Scotland 3 3.23%
Australia 5 5.38%
Khmer 4 4.30%
Polynesians 5 5.38%
Indonesians 0 0%
Thailand 3 3.23%
Poland 7 7.53%
Canada 6 6.45%
Ethiopia 10 10.75%
Zimbabwe 1 1.08%
Nubia 4 4.30%
Hungary 4 4.30%
Byzantium 7 7.53%
Souix 2 2.15%
Mali 5 5.38%
Brazil 0 0%
Tartars 0 0%
Other 3 3.23%
Bananaville 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29, 2003, 17:03   #31
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278
How about Ithkul? (Ooops, wrong forum ) Seriously though, the Amish sound good to me since I'm from Amish country. I don't think I'd want to give "player" status to any nation that was a barbarian race up to now. How about an Islamic nation? At its height Islam spread from France to Indonesia.

With the choices presented so far I could agree on the Hebrews too.
Are you from Lancaster County?

Technically the Amish are just a religious group made up of German immigrants. Although the Ottomans wouldn't count as an "Islamic Nation" maybe the Arabs would. If you mean any Islamic nation, there's 2.

Although I like Israel and Byzantium, the nation I want the most is Assyria. The most powerful ancient war machine until possibly Rome, they used iron early and effectively (probably the first to mass produce it). They mastered seige warfare, invented many things, and were effective with Chariots, Horse Archers, and massed Archer formations

They could be Mil, Sci or Sci, Exp
Their UU could be a Horse Archer (2.1.3)

But more importantly than Assyria, I would want 32 total civs (Assyria and something else)

BTW, the problem with civs in Africa is that Afrcia is considered part of other culture groups. Egypt and Carthage are in the Meditaranian, the Zulu are in the crowded Middle-East. And before you think about a region to fill, you really should wonder if that country did more than a country in a crowded region that gets left out.
Old July 29, 2003, 23:53   #32
SIV
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
the nation I want the most is Assyria. The most powerful ancient war machine until possibly Rome
A bit off-topic, but the babylonians destroyed them (and us...) at some point.
SIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2003, 02:49   #33
Vince278
King

Quote:
Are you from Lancaster County?
Yes.

Quote:
Technically the Amish are just a religious group made up of German immigrants.
They're from all around that area. My wife's family has ancestors who were Amish from Switzerland.

Quote:
Although the Ottomans wouldn't count as an "Islamic Nation" maybe the Arabs would. If you mean any Islamic nation, there's 2.
The Arabs were modeled nicely in CtP2 and started in Mecca. I played the Hebrews in the same game. Conflict was inevitable...

Quote:
Although I like Israel and Byzantium, the nation I want the most is Assyria. The most powerful ancient war machine until possibly Rome, they used iron early and effectively (probably the first to mass produce it). They mastered seige warfare, invented many things, and were effective with Chariots, Horse Archers, and massed Archer formations.
I just love those chariots with the bladed wheels.

Quote:
But more importantly than Assyria, I would want 32 total civs (Assyria and something else)
I'd like to play against all 32 civs at the same time. (Huge world map naturally)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2003, 02:54   #34
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SIV
A bit off-topic, but the babylonians destroyed them (and us...) at some point.
You guys bounced back, the Assyrians didn't (unless you can say that the Assyrians are now the Syrians without the Ass ).
Old July 30, 2003, 08:27   #35
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:01
I voted Hebrews, for achieving significant religious and philosophical influence on history.
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2003, 09:09   #36
Inhalaattori
Settler

Local Time: 08:01
The new 7 Civs should be, (when we look at the history).

Portugese (they had Brasil, many parts of Africa and also many parts of Asia (etc. some parts of India))
Ethiopians (has had some kind of independence for God knows how long, unlike many other african states)
Hitties (were the first nation to use iron)
Dutch (had Indonesia, colonies in Americas)
Polish (had a great state in the Middle- Ages)
Mayans (great buildings, good level of astronomy and mathematics)
Incans (had a huge empire)

And Iroquois shouldnt be in the game. (they had like 20 000 - 30 000 people, no real cities

(Best nation from Nort America would be Anazasis, they had real cities and Civilization in the eleventh century, in southern USA)

By the way Garthago had been found by Phoenicians
(thats a good reason why they are not in the game)

Garthago was a great power, it had territories in Spain, Northern Africa and Sicily. (... just because someone said that Garthago shouldn be in the game)
Inhalaattori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2003, 15:02   #37
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 01:01
The Americas, Europe and Middle East all have 2 each coming in. That's confirmed, by the betas.

I doubt the Hebrews are in, but still hoping. If not, then the Polynesians, or the Khmer.
Old July 31, 2003, 00:33   #38
Vince278
King

The Iroquois were probably meant to be representative of all North American tribes. Not a bad choice though, one of them did create an alphabet and writing for their language.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old July 31, 2003, 09:27   #39
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 02:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Inhalaattori
The new 7 Civs should be, (when we look at the history).

Portugese (they had Brasil, many parts of Africa and also many parts of Asia (etc. some parts of India))
True, but another european civ?

Quote:
Ethiopians (has had some kind of independence for God knows how long, unlike many other african states)
Nubia was a very powerful civ in the ancient age.

Quote:
Hitties (were the first nation to use iron)
Hebrews would be a better fit as they have a more distinguished culture from the rest of the Mesopotamian region.

Quote:
Dutch (had Indonesia, colonies in Americas)
One colony in the Americas which they sold to britain in the 17th century, see comments on portugal

Quote:
Polish (had a great state in the Middle- Ages)
No problem with the Poles.

Quote:
Mayans (great buildings, good level of astronomy and mathematics)
Incans (had a huge empire)
Both of these should be in the game, but what about the Toltecs?

Quote:
And Iroquois shouldnt be in the game. (they had like 20 000 - 30 000 people, no real cities

(Best nation from Nort America would be Anazasis, they had real cities and Civilization in the eleventh century, in southern USA)
Iroquois at its height in the 17th century encompassed Western New York, Northern Pennsylvania, & Most of the Ohio Valley, with a population of 250,000.

A better argument could be made for the Sioux.

Quote:
By the way Garthago had been found by Phoenicians
(thats a good reason why they are not in the game)

Garthago was a great power, it had territories in Spain, Northern Africa and Sicily. (... just because someone said that Garthago shouldn be in the game)
Both Cathago and Phonecia were both greek colonies as was Rome. Eventually all three developed apart from their parent Civ and became a distinct cultures.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2003, 10:23   #40
Inhalaattori
Settler

You are right about many things, but the Iroguois never had 250 000 people. It is widely acreed that there were only 1-2 million natives in north America before europeans.

Their leader in the game, Hiawatha tried to make some kind of Indian Alliance towards europeans. So "Iroguois" represent some kind of "Indian alliance". And their UU is mounted soldier.
And I undestand Iroguois are in game, because they had some kind of small towns and some kind of democracy also. They are after all much better choice than sioux.

And yes, more african civs would be nice. Mali, Ghana, Songhai, Ethiopia...
African civilization are widely underrated.

Also khmers could be in the expansion.

And dutch had many colonies in Americas, not really big ones though. (in south america) But maybe they should not be in the game after all.

Matter of taste
Old August 1, 2003, 00:28   #41
Margim
Settler

Give us the Aussies! Ok, I speak with bias - but how many other nations control a continent . Besides, I'm sick of that massive vacuum in the Pacific on world maps. And just in case we aren't considered important enough in the big scheme of the world - I'll put in a bid for the Polynesians, who did a pretty impressive job of peopling the Pacific, or Indonesia - a populace country, still essentially a colonial power, and far too many people in it to be ignored.
Margim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 07:04   #42
Mad Bomber
King

Inhalaattori:

You are correct as far as the population figures go. My main point concerning the Sioux was that they would be a much better fit than the Anazasis. If North America can only have two civ's then the most logical choice is The Iroqouis (and the US) .

Africa does need at least one more civ and probably two.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2003, 00:19   #43
Civmonopolis
Settler

I picked the Ethiopians for the civ I wanted, but it was so hard to pick because I wanted the Polands and the Hebrews to be a new civ also. I just thought it would be interesting how they would make the Ethiopian civ that's all.
Civmonopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2003, 06:01   #44
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I really want another African Civ (I would have loved to see the Khmers as well, but now that there's only one spot left, I'll go for an extra African Civ)

I prefer the Mali over the Ethiopians. The Mali have built an enormous and wealthy empire in Western subsaharian Africa, and had developed urbanization (including 3 of the major feudal cities: Timbuktu, Jenné and Gao). Besides, West Africa has known several structurated and powerful empires succeeding each other for centuries, and I think they should be represented. The Mali was the most powerful and well-known of these empires, so I think it only deserves to be in the game

(I'd really want an African civ category, and Africanised units... Maybe for the next expansion ? )

Last edited by Spiffor; August 2, 2003 at 06:16.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2003, 16:36   #45
Inhalaattori
Settler

Correction:
Hiawatha in fact was the founder of "Iroquois". He built the alliance of 5, later 6 indian nations. So he did not organise resistance against whites, as I said in my last post.
So i remembered wrong, and i`m sorry that I tried to "change the history"
Old August 5, 2003, 13:42   #46
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarouik
If Conquests is really adding two civs to Americas, two to Europe and two to Middle East, the remaining one should be located in Africa, since there is the most space and the only sub-Saharan civilization in *any* Civ game *ever* has been the Zulu.

Therefore I vote Nubia, Mali or Ethiopia. (I would like Khmer included as well, I actually added them to my Civ2 rules myself, but there's no room in Conquests.)
Those are all excellent suggestions, but I'd like to add the Berbers, a people who are still around and notable in their interactions with many of the Civs in the current game (especially the Arabs, Spanish, French, Romans and Carthaginians)
Old August 5, 2003, 13:45   #47
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:

You are right about many things, but the Iroguois never had 250 000 people. It is widely acreed that there were only 1-2 million natives in north America before europeans.
That is not widely agreed upon. Most estimates put that figure at a far higher number. A bulk of the Native Americans were killed by disease.
Old August 5, 2003, 13:50   #48
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Just to back up the assertion that there were far more than 1-2 million Native Americans north of Mexico:

http://nativenet.uthscsa.edu/alison-thesis/people.html
Old August 5, 2003, 13:51   #49
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anatolia
I voted for Ethiopia. A very ancient civilisation and covered in Herodotus' Histories. If that's not enough, they were the first people to cultivate coffee. Coffee changed civilisation, no?
Also, along with Armenia, one of the oldest "unchanged" Christian civilizations (the same cannot be said of Rome and Constantinople!)
Old August 6, 2003, 04:16   #50
Inhalaattori
Settler

Nice story. Hmm.. still dont totally buy it.
Most of the Nort- American natives were hunters and gatherers...
In the south of north- america could have been a lot of people, becouse they were farmers.
And I surely know that diseases brought by europeans killed great number of natives.
Maybe there were more than I said... ?
Lets end the conversation. We simply dont know exact numbers.

And hey, Armenia is a nice country. Not verry rich and mighty nowadays, but I have read that you had some kind of large empire long time ago. Am I right? Armenia could be in the civ also?
And System Of A Down is one of the best bands in USA.
Old August 6, 2003, 04:17   #51
Inhalaattori
Settler

Oh is that flag of Venezuela, not Armenia. Hehe, oops I did it again
Old August 6, 2003, 09:57   #52
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 09:01
Why Hebrews should be added.

Historical: Israel defeated other nations already included in the game (Arabs, Egyptians, Persians, Greeks)
Legal: If they include some strange minor races that nobody know them (Hittetes, never heard befor) and throw us away, it's pure antisemitism.
Old August 6, 2003, 10:01   #53
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Nice story. Hmm.. still dont totally buy it.
What do you mean you "don't buy it"? What about it don't you buy? Look at basically any resource, everyone agrees that there were more than 1-2 million Native Americans before disease from Europe took it's toll! People don't know exact numbers and never will, but 1-2 is ridiculously low.

Quote:
And hey, Armenia is a nice country. Not verry rich and mighty nowadays, but I have read that you had some kind of large empire long time ago. Am I right? Armenia could be in the civ also?
And System Of A Down is one of the best bands in USA.
I agree about both points... if Korea's in, Armenia should be in. Armenia has often "held the light of the west" in dim times... it was considered a rich province of both the Roman and Persian empires, and the Armenians have had very interesting independence struggles from the Russians and Turks both... an interesting country with a distinct culture... I would recommend R/S as its traits.

But it probably won't be in.
Old August 6, 2003, 10:03   #54
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by muxec
Why Hebrews should be added.

Historical: Israel defeated other nations already included in the game (Arabs, Egyptians, Persians, Greeks)
Legal: If they include some strange minor races that nobody know them (Hittetes, never heard befor) and throw us away, it's pure antisemitism.
Normally I take the "other side" of this argument, saying that Judaism alone is reason enough to include Israel, but I must object: Hittites as a "strange minor race"? As an atheist of Irish desent, I might say that the Hebrews are just as "strange and minor". The Hittites had a major impact on the ancient world and are a welcome addition.

Now that both the Hittites and Sumerians have been added, what's in question is the Babylonians, in my view... it's like having the "New Yorkers" as a civilization (not that I wouldn't love to see that )
Old August 6, 2003, 10:30   #55
muxec
Prince

Maybe it worth to merge Persians into Arabs from PTW?
Old August 6, 2003, 10:47   #56
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by muxec
Maybe it worth to merge Persians into Arabs from PTW?
No, the Persians are quite distinct... they are intended to represent the ancient Persians, the Mazdaists... the Persians and the people of Iranian are ethnically similar but culturally, and historically, quite different, and the ancient Persians interacted with, and had a major impact on (or were impacted by) the Greeks, the Romans, the Babylonians, the Indians, and the Arabs, and later on (as "Iran"), the Mongols, the Turks, the Russians, the English, etc.

It's too bad that 31 civs is hardcoded. Everyone's suggestions around here are valid. There should be room for all these civs. Someday...
Old August 6, 2003, 12:16   #57
muxec
Prince

People, play freeciv! All races with no extra payment and loads of expansions.
Old August 6, 2003, 13:32   #58
Brundlefly
Prince

If Hebrew is included should Jesus Christ be in the leader list?

Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 13:35   #59
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi

I can almost see the flaming reply to this post now...
Old August 6, 2003, 13:45   #60
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi

hi ,

you know better then that , .......

the answer is plain simple no

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote