Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You sunk my battleship!
I just got a spectacularly dumb idea:
Battleship: MGE edition!
Your "ships" move over land squares. Your command ship is an invisible flying unit with the carrier ability and needs to survive or your civ is killed by events.txt. Each turn, players are given a set number of aerial "shots," with a range of one, to paradrop into place and fire. You earn a future tech and money for every enemy ship you destroy. Collect enough money, and you can buy special shots in your solitary town in the corner of the map, like nukes; "spy drones" that can see subs, seeX2 and have a movement of five or so, but have a lousy attack; invisible domain-two "minefields," and so on. Only non-command ships have the fighter ability, so you need them to kill the enemy commander. I guess the commander would have to be forbidden from disbanding by asking the players to respect a house rule.
Alternately, "Capture the flag MGE." Most of your units are ships; dry land represents rough terrain and cities only. Each player has an untakeable city in the middle of nowhere in addition to takeable strongpoints scattered over the map, so the only way to win is to destroy the enemy's land-based "flag" unit, which, as in battleship, sics events.txt on 'em. The flag is a diplomat and can only be carried by a weak "leader" unit, which can be built but is basically incapable of battle; its only hope is to use the flag to bribe enemies who get too close, or to run away. The flag, being the only mobile land unit(there are NO helicopters), is essential for taking enemy cities and thus increasing your production base while lowering the enemy's(and denying his/her flag a hiding spot). All ships, leaders included, are settlers, and food doesn't exist, so you have a very finite supply of basic troops.
Infinitely producible units include movement-zero guards for your cities and magic spell units. Magic spells are your flying units, including non-missile nukes(I know they're destroyed by the shockwave anyway; they're non-missile to prevent the wrong units from being able to carry them), whirlwinds that can move about a dozen spaces per turn and have a range of one, and magic barriers that can sit in narrow passes for seven turns impeding enemy progress. Spells can be carried only by Wizard units.
There are also "arrow" units, which are missiles and are given every turn by events to players in each city they control. These *could* be carried by wizards, of course, but are better given to submarine archers, who move more quickly and, because of their invisibility, are great for ambushes.
Other units include Knights, who can't carry a thing but smash the hell out of any normal enemy, Priests who can attack barriers and other spells, and Scouts who move VERY quickly and have a great range of vision. Research gives you better units and spells to build, and in some cases gives you extra arrows or a little extra money each turn. If you need more cash, immobile, submarine, barbarian "buried treasure" diplomats hide in various places around the map. You need a Scout to see them, of course...
It's probably got potential to be great fun, but I don't have MGE and am probably to lazy to execute it anyway so it's free for the taking. I don't think the AI could handle it.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 21, 2003, 12:56   #2
Elok
Emperor

Hmm...on further thought, a couple of revisions are needed for the CTF idea. The untakeable capital needs to be guarded by a ring of eight invincible barbarian do-nothings with the fighter ability(to prevent airport abuse) and an SDI defense to keep the flag from hiding there for the whole frigging game. Arrows appear ONLY in the capital, and are given the paradrop ability so they can bypass the barbarians. You can get a greater supply of arrows per turn by researching a few techs, each of which sparks a makeunit command every turn. The exact number of techs needs to be carefully adjusted to prevent a glut or deficit of arrows, naturally.
A domain 3 engineer unit could really add to the game by transforming passable terrain(i.e. ocean) into Stone Walls or some such, and naturally would be the only one capable of "destroying" said walls by transforming them back. The engineer could also modify other "rough terrain" around cities, to fine-tune the balance of shield and trade production to exactly what the player wishes. And build new cities, mines, roads, and railroads, of course.
Airports, naturally, would be very useful in this game, for the improvement of spell units and to provide an emergency way out for the flag, blockable only by a priest en route. I guess you could call it a teleporter or magic shrine or some such.
The priest would probably benefit from the AEGIS ability too, just to make him an overall anti-magic character.
Seeing as nobody has even expressed interest in this yet, I suppose it would be stupid to keep talking until such time as somebody offers to adopt it. Just throwing out ideas.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 21, 2003, 21:26   #3
Boco
King

Local Time: 01:02
At last! A way to hook 6-year olds on Civ2!
Old July 22, 2003, 07:16   #4
Boco
King

Local Time: 01:02
Oops! I didn't mean this to sound sarcastic. I just know a few small kids who love to play Battleship.
Old July 23, 2003, 06:39   #5
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:02
Doesn't everybody love to play Battleship?
It's more fun than Social Studies anyway
Old July 23, 2003, 10:51   #6
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The capture the flag idea sounds great i'd love to play something like that. mp.
Old July 23, 2003, 20:01   #7
Elok
Emperor

Well, I'd be willing to try making it myself and letting somebody else futz with making it MGE, if it weren't for the fact that making water look like grassland is probably a pain in the rear. Is it possible to just overwrite the coast tilesets in terrain2 with transparent pink, copy and paste over the ocean tile in terrain1, and thereby make it graphically identical to grassland? Does anybody know? Should I pester Mercator about this? I can't believe nobody's ever tried it...
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 24, 2003, 06:32   #8
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
Oops! I didn't mean this to sound sarcastic. I just know a few small kids who love to play Battleship.
He he he, it was funny anyway.
The idea is interesting. let the thread-starter go ahead and make a scenario... Good luck.
Old July 24, 2003, 06:34   #9
Mercator
Emperor

So you want to pester me, do you?

I don't think it's that difficult... You only have to split the grassland tile in 4 quarters once, and you can then copy those four quarters across the 8 different sets.

I think this should work...

EDIT: It works like a charm. Only one minor drawback, the borders of coastal squares aren't dithered.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	terrain2.gif
Views:	52
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	50313  

Last edited by Mercator; July 24, 2003 at 06:44.
Old July 24, 2003, 06:46   #10
Mercator
Emperor

And here's the proof. It's a ToT screenshot, but that doesn't make any difference.

Any other graphic would work as well, of course.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	grassy_water.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	50315  
Old July 24, 2003, 15:53   #11
Elok
Emperor

Mind if I just rip that direct and use it? And will that file you put up work in non-ToT, or did you just demonstrate it using your available hardware? I'll be going on vacation, away from the comp, for the next two weeks, but you just did what I figured would be the hard part. Two weeks after that and I could have a beta version done, supposing I get my lazy butt in gear. Thank you, Mercator.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 25, 2003, 07:07   #12
Mercator
Emperor

Sure you can use it... It's the regular civ2 terrain2 file, so it would work for all civ2 versions (including ToT).

The computer I was on only had ToT installed, so that's where I got the screenshot for...

And it really is quite easy to do. It took me about 10-15 minutes.