Old July 21, 2003, 18:44   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry, another dumb PTW question
No matter how much I set the tech slider to it doesn't change how fast I research the tech? It always takes 40 turns. It has caused me to fall about 4 techs behind and I'm in the pretty early ancient. Thanks for the help.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 21, 2003, 18:54   #2
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Chances are, especially in the early ancient, you don't have enough commerce going yet to get under the 40 turn barrier. It's not that uncommon, and I usually research at least 2 ancient era techs at 40 turns and count on trading, extortion and huts for the rest.
Old July 21, 2003, 19:47   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:04
In the very begining you will not gain much by cranking up the slider. In a typical Emperor game, you will need to get some production to have an impact on it. Just keep an eye on your empire and you will be able to move it off of 20% and see an impact.
I tend to stay there until I have a few contacts and trade some tech and maybe hit a hut or two.
Then I look to see if it makes sense to move the slider.
Old July 21, 2003, 19:53   #4
WarpStorm
King

The game is cutting you a break by letting you only wait 40 turns for the tech. You weren't earning that much. Build more roads.
Old July 21, 2003, 20:45   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Watch for your capitol's first expansion... you should be able to pull back to 10% then. With additional towns (and commerce!! Mmmm... rivers), you will start to be able to increase research % to good effect.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 21, 2003, 23:24   #6
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
The game is cutting you a break by letting you only wait 40 turns for the tech. You weren't earning that much. Build more roads.

Either build roads and/ or build your next city on a river, or near a commercial resource (Gold, Gems, Silk ect)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old July 22, 2003, 07:27   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
Re: Sorry, another dumb PTW question
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
No matter how much I set the tech slider to it doesn't change how fast I research the tech? It always takes 40 turns. It has caused me to fall about 4 techs behind and I'm in the pretty early ancient. Thanks for the help.
hi ,

if you where to post a save some of us could start to help you it in a more detailed way , .....

have a nice day
Old July 24, 2003, 22:31   #8
johncmcleod
Prince

I have another PTW question. I played one game with only 7 civs, and I want to play a game with 24 now. But there are only 7 pull down menus for the rivals, and I don't know how to get more.

I guess you guys are right, after I expand for a while I can crank up the tech slider.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 25, 2003, 00:48   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think you need to go into the editor and uses custom rules. Then set the world size and then the number of civs. I have not tried it.
Old July 25, 2003, 01:31   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

vmxa1 is right. you can change the numbers in the editor to however many civs you want, up to 31. though to get beyond 24, you'll have to download or create your own additional civs. Try playing a tiny map with 24 civs. Its quite....interesting.
Old July 26, 2003, 15:08   #11
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 23:04
Quote:
I have another PTW question. I played one game with only 7 civs, and I want to play a game with 24 now. But there are only 7 pull down menus for the rivals, and I don't know how to get more.
Some of the smaller maps will only allow you to have so many civs. Either try a larger one or go into the editor and ajust the settings, in the World Sizes area I believe. I don't have the editor handy at the moment.

Quote:
I guess you guys are right, after I expand for a while I can crank up the tech slider.
That's right, you won't be able to devote to much of your treasury to Research until you're well into the Middle Ages at least.
Old July 28, 2003, 00:37   #12
johncmcleod
Prince

Didn't work. I went to custom player data in the editor and changed the number of civs from 8 to 24. I chose a standard map and it only had me and 7 other civs. So I went to a huge map and it was me and 15 other civs. Then I tried multiplayer and again it was me and 7 other civs. This is very frusturating, please help.
Old July 28, 2003, 00:44   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Didn't work. I went to custom player data in the editor and changed the number of civs from 8 to 24. I chose a standard map and it only had me and 7 other civs. So I went to a huge map and it was me and 15 other civs. Then I tried multiplayer and again it was me and 7 other civs. This is very frusturating, please help.
hi ,

MP ( multiplayer ) is limited to eight (8) players only , ....

first there where 16 civs , ptw gave 8 more , ......

if you have ptw ;
single versus AI is limited to 32 , minus the barbs leaves 31 , .....

have a nice day
Old July 28, 2003, 00:58   #14
johncmcleod
Prince

I have PTW, so should I set the amount of civs to 32?
Old July 28, 2003, 01:01   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I have PTW, so should I set the amount of civs to 32?
hi ,

the max you can set it on is 31 civs , the barbarians take up one slot , .....

set the max for 24 if you have PTW , the other 7 you have to make either yourself or use a mod or scen to play those , ....

the apolyton directory has great mods and scens by the way , ....

max map size with ptw is 362X362

have a nice day
Old July 28, 2003, 01:07   #16
johncmcleod
Prince

So I have to make the map size bigger than huge to play with all the civs?! That's wack!
Old July 28, 2003, 01:16   #17
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
So I have to make the map size bigger than huge to play with all the civs?! That's wack!
hi ,

they dont fit on a 60X60 , ...... you can try and see what the results are , .....

the best to do is to use a 200 or 250 X 200 or 250 map for 24 civs , make sure to increase the starting distance , ..... (!)

happy civing and a nice day
Old July 28, 2003, 05:46   #18
statusperfect
King

It researches slowly because your people are stupid and lazy.
Old July 28, 2003, 09:08   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
It researches slowly because your people are stupid and lazy.
hi ,

what do you mean , .....

are you talking about the editor settings or what , ....

have a nice day