Old July 21, 2003, 20:26   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unfinished games you hope/plan on beating someday
I have all these games on my hard drives in which I intend on finishing someday, but haven't yet. This is in contrast to games which I have taken off my hard drive in which I have no intention of finishing (games like Black and White, Star Wars Rebellion)

So what games do you have on your computer that you someday plan on finishing?

My games are Icewind Dale 1 (with expansion), Icewind Dale 2, Baldur's Gate 1 (though i just played a couple of weeks ago- I'm in the city of Baldur's Gate now), Morrowind, Planescape: Torment, Call to Power 2, and I just reinstalled an old Dos game called Wasteland- a game I played in the Commodore 64 days. I want to finish this game.

Actually I'm not sure about ctp2. I don't think I will ever finish a single game of that. But I do have one save on my hard drive. That game's public works annoys me for some reason. I still may try a mod, but haven't gotten around to it.

Most of those games are decent games. But for some reason I lack the motivation to finish them. Perhaps they are only games in which I could get a few hours enjoyment from, and I'm actually bored of them now. Perhaps I just need to get in the right mood to play them. I don't know exactly.
Old July 22, 2003, 00:06   #2
da_hal
Warlord

Local Time: 06:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
phantasie, wizardry 7, mechwarriorIII, a couple others.

usually i try to play TBS with a non-inherent goal in mind, like fastest turns, etc. so they never really end for me.
Old July 22, 2003, 05:23   #3
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:04
I think I have finished all the games I want to.
Old July 22, 2003, 05:43   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

one problem is I spend too much time here . And often I'm not in the mood to play computer games.
Old July 22, 2003, 07:37   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:04
I would have liked to finish a game of MoM. But alas, I formatted my computer and didn't bother reinstalling it.
Old July 22, 2003, 08:20   #6
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Final Fantasy IX, AoEII Campaigns, Fallout II.
Old July 22, 2003, 08:42   #7
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Kings Bounty 2
Old July 22, 2003, 11:39   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

All the Final Fantasy games after VII.
I get about 80-90 percent through them and then get bored. By that time my characters are already capable of destroying everything with ease and I can't be bothered to go through the motions of actually winning.

I'd also like to complete Half-Life one day. I always quit when I get to the bit on the Alien planet because it is boring, but have played up until that point several times.
Old July 22, 2003, 19:41   #9
vee4473
King

Local Time: 01:04
Baldur's Gate 2. I love the game, but I tend to have a rough time finishing lentghy games only because I love playing so many games that a game that may take 50 hours to finish may take forever to finish if you have to divide up amongst dozens of games.
Old July 22, 2003, 19:41   #10
vee4473
King

Baldur's Gate 2. I love the game, but I tend to have a rough time finishing lentghy games only because I love playing so many games that a game that may take 50 hours to finish may take forever to finish if you have to divide up amongst dozens of games.
Old July 22, 2003, 20:03   #11
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal

usually i try to play TBS with a non-inherent goal in mind, like fastest turns, etc. so they never really end for me.
Phantasie!!! I won the first 2 but the 3rd was a lot harder, every time you turned around you were losing a leg or an arm.

Ultima IV, for me. I got to the last question at the bottom of the last dungeon and, for some reason, brainfarted and answered the question wrong.

Which, of course, sends you out of the dungeon.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 22, 2003, 20:18   #12
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quake I, Soul Calibur II and red alert 2. and when I have time I'd like to try the "beat FF6 @ lv 6" challenge.

or did you mean just getting an ending for the game? Thats kinda bad definition IMO cause some games have multiple endings. I like to think of beating the game as in "you can do zangief's pile driver with your toes" level.
Old July 22, 2003, 21:47   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
I don't have these on my comp right now, but I have them and have never finished them:

Freespace 1&2
Pharaoh
Emperor
Heavy Gear II*
ORB**
Hegemonia*
Dark Reign II*
ONI
Final Fantasy VII**
Conquest: Frontier Wars*
Serious Sam 2
Age of Wonders II**
Sacrifice**
Jedi Knight 2
Age of Empires II campaigns*
Star Trek Armada II*
Hostile Waters
Alien vs. Pred 2 expansion*
GTA2*
Independence War 2
Might and Magic VI (never even loaded it)**
Homeworld (just never beat the last mission)

* denotes games I never finished, and don't plan to.
** denotes undecided whether I will ever finish them.
Old July 22, 2003, 22:37   #14
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Final Fantasy 8. I have the same problem as Frustrated Poet. Sure, I could pimp-smack Ultimecia with Squall's right pinky alone, but...why?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old July 23, 2003, 02:08   #15
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

I've got a few that I've been meaning to get to

Fallout 1 & 2
Planescape Torment (started it, great story so far, just haven't gotten around to finishing it)
Civ3 PTW (I haven't played it since I got the expansion)
Baldurs gate: Throne of Baal (this will come soon, I love the Baldurs gate games)
Icewind Dale 1 and expansions (I finished Icewind dale 2, and loved it)
Pharaoh
Hearts of Iron (as Italy and Yugoslavia)
Soul Bringer

I think that's it, except for a few games of CTP, and CTP2
Old July 23, 2003, 03:57   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:04
Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal
Wizardry 7 is excellent, and it has a few endings as well. Great game.
Old July 23, 2003, 04:22   #17
geeslaka
Prince

FF2-6 (except 5)
Lufia1-2
Chrono Trigger
I have FP's syndrome.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 23, 2003, 04:36   #18
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
I have FP's syndrome.
I hope that phrase doesn't stick.

Chrono Trigger and the excellent Suikoden II are two other great (GREAT) RPG's I've never finished. I might try and complete Suikoden II if it ever looks like the sequel will be released in this country.
Old July 23, 2003, 08:31   #19
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
I get about 80-90 percent through them and then get bored. By that time my characters are already capable of destroying everything with ease and I can't be bothered to go through the motions of actually winning.
It's even worse when your boredom causes you to make stupid mistakes, like forgetting to pull Alexander from the queen boss in FFVIII and missing out on several summons or forgetting to pick up the Final Attack materia in FFVII and being unable to beat the last two Weapons. I hate spending ninety hours on a game only to have to play it again to beat it completely.
Old July 23, 2003, 08:46   #20
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 08:04
There's two games I'd like to finish:

Chewy - Escape from F5 - Very funny adventure game, though it was made a long time ago... It took a long time getting it running under Windows 95, but I managed... I haven't been succesfull getting it working under newer Windows OS

Though if I get it working, I'll finish it

Conquest of the New World - I have finished it before, but only in easy levels. I've got this game working, that means: It can run. But this game is old also, and requires the CD to be in my first CD-drive, but that drive makes noises that drives me insane (It doesn't make noises when having other CD's in, it's only with this game)... and I haven't been able to find a NO-CD thing to it
Old July 23, 2003, 09:06   #21
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
Alien vs. Predator 1 - stopped playing it some time ago although I was doing quite well.

Baldur's gate 1 - have to finish Durlag's tower and kill the boss.
Old July 23, 2003, 10:11   #22
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Splinter Cell, as soon as I get over my addiction to RoN.
Old July 23, 2003, 10:14   #23
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Red Alert II
Homeworld
Homeworld Cataclysm
Diablo II (with all characters)
This list is sure to grow.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 23, 2003, 13:25   #24
da_hal
Warlord

oh yeah, just remembered another one: Autoduel.

At the end there's a fork in the road. If you take the wrong one, you can't get to the ending. I remember getting lost and then I got a new computer that couldn't play it because of cpu clock speed problems.

I would still play it just for the arena and the gambling...it was one of the best of the early gambling games too.
Old July 23, 2003, 13:46   #25
Space05us
King

Local Time: 18:04
Fallout 2*
Wizardry 8
I have a feeling Im forgetting a game....must go check stack in bedroom...

I just recently finished an entire game of Medieval:Total War. I believe they should rename it Medival: Total Bore. You dont get any cinimatics or something special at the end, just a static screen and a short speech which is basically the same for every faction you play (I went through the sound files) Basicaly it says, "You have won, praise God/Allah. Your rule is mighty and you're filthy rich. blah blah"

* I know Im at the end of Fallout 2 but I hate those rooms with the electric floors, its too annoying to bother with finishing when you spasm every few seconds when all you want to do is finish the damn game already!
Old July 23, 2003, 14:34   #26
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Civ II.

J/k!

Let's see:

- Pharao
- Homeworld Cataclysm (a "must finish")
- Grim Fandango (a "must finish")
- Deus Ex (a "must finish")
- Half-Life and its expansionpacks (have not installed them yet, but eager to play)

- Shogun Total War (only played a little)
- B-17 Flying Fortress (haven't played it yet)
- Medal of Honour Allied Assault (have played it through on a lower level; have started (but not finished) playing the toughest level)
-MOO2 (I like this game a lot, but it has always been sacrificed for Civ's sake. Had I discovered MOO2 first, it would probably be the other way around)

The problem is that I'll be moving around quite a bit for a year or so, and I will not have access to my desktop or my games. The laptop is too old for most of these games...

Sigh!

Carolus
Old July 23, 2003, 14:42   #27
gopher
Warlord

Civ 3

Edit: And the Sims

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old July 23, 2003, 15:10   #28
Space05us
King

Local Time: 18:04
Quote:
And the Sims
do you not see the irony in that statement?
Old July 23, 2003, 15:17   #29
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Yeah I feel the same way about those games too. The last boss is never a challenge, though that could be due to me levelling up too much, and it just seems to be, well, anticlimactic. I've never beaten FF8. Got all the cards, had all the characters ready to go, but.....got distracted by real life and didn't get back to it. And now I would rather play FF1 than FF8. I'm finding though I have the same deal with FForigins now. I can take chaos, probably easily, but....FForigins really made the game too easy, it used to be the only challenging one, at least the final dungeon and boss, but now...
Old July 23, 2003, 15:24   #30
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
- Grim Fandango (a "must finish")
I knew I missed something... I can't finish this game, since the game crashes when I starts the final round...