Old July 23, 2003, 15:37   #31
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Fandango is one mean game..........but well worth finishing.
Old July 23, 2003, 15:44   #32
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
Games I have on my computer that I still need to "finish":

Civilization II (beat Deity, that is)
Commandos (haven't played in a while, but I'm at that second Maas bridge level, if that means anything to you)

Games not currently installed that I have to finish as well (my wallet is far too lean to be able to afford buying games I don't like, or don't want to play):

Grand Theft Auto (I'd have to start over again, but I never finished the final level)
GTA2 (not sure anymore how far I got with this one. I probably haven't finished the last level yet, nor uncovered all bonus levels because of that)
Old July 24, 2003, 03:15   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
well some games don't have endings. The sims- though you can try to achieve the highest job rank (the original game was the only one I played.)

As for Diablo2- well I consider myself to have finished the game by beating diablo (and baal) once. But I haven't beaten it with all characters. I have not beat diablo2 with an assassin, and the necomancer. Those characters just don't interest me.

And games like civ2 and civ3 I consider complete, because I have beaten the game. Though I haven't beaten the game using all victory methods and at all difficulty levels.

As for Fallout 2 ending (I definately finished this one), yes those floors are annoying. I agree that you just want to finish at that point. My last game I just looked it up in a faq (I had already beaten it- so no spoilers). Although I still couldn't get it with the guide, but I got enough doors open to figure out how to get the last couple open.
Old July 25, 2003, 13:11   #34
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 02:04
I wont count Imp2 and SMAC which i bought recently and have been playing recently -

games ive put aside, never "finished" and would like to get back to/

Sid Meier's Gettysburg: Never finished all the scenarios from the first day. Would like to get back to it.

Caesar III - stopped mid-career, where it starts to get fairly hard.
Old July 25, 2003, 14:02   #35
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:04
most of my games

very few have I finished

and I have a ton of games

Jn Miller
Old July 25, 2003, 15:33   #36
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I guess Warcraft III as I have not started it and I bought it when it came out. I don't know why I have not even started it, but someday.
Old July 26, 2003, 02:37   #37
geeslaka
Prince

Quote:
Conquest of the New World - I have finished it before, but only in easy levels. I've got this game working, that means: It can run. But this game is old also, and requires the CD to be in my first CD-drive, but that drive makes noises that drives me insane (It doesn't make noises when having other CD's in, it's only with this game)... and I haven't been able to find a NO-CD thing to it
Linux games don't have this problem. If a game requires a CD you can just put a CD image in a directory and mount it to wherever the game looks for a CD. (I haven't actually tried that but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.)
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 26, 2003, 12:55   #38
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 08:04
Normally Windows games doesn't have this problem either, but this one has
Old July 26, 2003, 18:25   #39
Standup
Prince

Some of these are also in the 'must start someday' but they're on my hard drive so i guess they count.

X Beyond the Frontier
Hardware
EU2
Trade Empires
Rails Across America
Old July 27, 2003, 03:10   #40
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
I never finished Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. The last level, the Skedar Ruins, is so scary.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:49   #41
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 22:04
Has anyone here finished HoMM3's Armarggedom's blade expansion campaigns?? im stuck at the 3rd map of the fire witch and this map is so far the longest map i've ever played from any previous HoMM campaign maps (so far i've finished all HoMM2 + expasion and the original HoMM3 campaigns).
Old July 27, 2003, 17:47   #42
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 06:04
I never finished SimCity.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old July 27, 2003, 17:47   #43
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I never finished SimCity.

Or Nethack

-Jam
Old July 27, 2003, 19:29   #44
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:04
Jamski's back!

I was wondering where you got to!
Old July 27, 2003, 19:30   #45
Jamski
Deity

Yes ! I moved house and everything went pair-shaped, but I finally got my new connection today Hello everyone

-Jam
Old July 27, 2003, 20:35   #46
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Welcome back. Time to start flexing your spa posting muscles again.
Old July 28, 2003, 05:42   #47
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I think I'll get around to beating Resident Evil: Code Veronica someday.
Old July 29, 2003, 21:38   #48
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 01:04
I would like to beat Caesar 2 and 3, Star Wars: Rebellion, Civ2: ToT, and C&C Red Alert(both 1 &2).
Old July 29, 2003, 23:02   #49
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Re: Rebellion. Believe, the "payoff" of winning is sooooo not worth the tedium of playing the game until that point. Save yourself the effort.

I had always been a big Monkey Island fan, but never went beyond the original game. I finally downloaded Monkey Island 2 a couple of weeks ago and beat it in a few days. I was so monkey obsessed, I bought 3 and 4 real cheap and played them both to completion.

No. 3 (Curse of Monkey Island) is now the favorite--it was easily the best adventure/puzzle game I've ever played.

No. 4 (Escap from Monkey Island) was a little bit of a letdown after 3, though on its own its still an extremely entertaining, rewarding game. The 3-D interface is a little clunky, and some puzzles had ludicrously obscure solutions (especially the final battle). On the other hand, the script and voice-acting for 4 were terrific.

I have yet to beat GTA3, but that's because I haven't been playing it lately. I'd like to beat X-Wing: Alliance, since I haven't gotten to the Battle of Endor. I've yet to finish a game of Hearts of Iron, but honestly I don't know if I have the patience (it got tedious, IMO).

Oh, and I've gotta finish my emulated NES Dragon Warrior IV game! But some weird glitch made me lose a save game, so I have to backtrack.
Old July 30, 2003, 03:44   #50
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:04
You should check out this thread then Boris.
Old July 30, 2003, 04:59   #51
da_hal
Warlord

How about games you want to finish but don't have/can't get/won't run anymore?

For me:
Alone in the dark: my 386 wasn't good enough to play it, but the disk was corrupted when i got my 486...that's the one game i never really got started but it was fun.

Myst: similar reason, but this time it was because i only had a 2X speed cd-rom, so it was slow as heck. The puzzles were dumb too. But, it was one of those games that changed the industry, so I want to go through it at least once just because it is historically significant.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark: a really good game actually. It was like 20+ megs when the average game was only like 3-5. Way ahead of its time. But, it came out when a lot of game companies thought "play time" was important, so it had 3 huge mazes. I just gave up on the last one because it was just a pain in the butt. But the puzzle parts rocked.

the Incredible machine: i think i got stuck 3 times on the same puzzle, about 30 from the last. I can get it again, but i just can't see myself going through all those puzzles before that one again.

X-wing: borrowed from a friend. It forced you to go through these huge boring training missions. I got to like #12 out of 20 or something and got sick of going through little boxes.

Syndicate xpac: first mission was just ridiculously hard...nowadays though i might go back for the challenge.

Front Page Sports: Football: man this game was awesome in its day. looks a bit dated now, and hardly runs on newer computers...they never really cleaned up all the bugs. I still haven't finished a single season yet, because simulating a day's games took like 90 mins on my old pcjr.

Rogue: i've played it off and on for like 15+ years. never got past lvl 12 or so.

Magic Carpet: dl from underdogs doesn't work with new joystick drivers.

prince of persia: unfair jumps.

conan: only version around now is apple II...i think my friend still has it and a working aIIe.

might and magic 4 + 5: supposedly if you put both on your hd at the same time, you got a larger world and the two combined or something. by the time 5 came out, one of the disks for 4 was corrupted.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:52   #52
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

Boris, the tedium is the main reason i gave up on the game, i liked the game, but it just become booring a little to early(esp for such a long term game as it was)
Old July 31, 2003, 22:09   #53
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CivPatriot
Boris, the tedium is the main reason i gave up on the game, i liked the game, but it just become booring a little to early(esp for such a long term game as it was)
It doesn't get any better.

Well, that's not entirely true. If you can find RebEd somewhere, it could help. It's an editor for the game. You can use it to reduce construction times and increase ship speeds, which will speed up the game a lot. But that doesn't help with the micromanaging (since the AI can't build fleets worth ****). Nor with the boredom of hunting down the objectives needed to win.
Old August 1, 2003, 10:15   #54
MattH
King

AoE II- man when will I get around to that?
SMAC- Don't hit me!
Diablo II expansion
Old August 2, 2003, 01:27   #55
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hell, I stopped "finishing" games about a decade ago... not since I plowed through Might and Magic: World of Xeen have I felt compelled to truly "beat" a game. Ever since then, decreasing amounts of time to play games (a problem not helped by the internet) have forced me to all but give up on the latest and greatest 'n wait until it hits the recycling bin.
Old August 2, 2003, 01:32   #56
JCG
Prince

-Diablo II (didn't really get into this one, unlike the first..but I want to see the movies).
-Xenogears (trying to beat the last boss(es) multiple times without success basically bored me...see above).
-FF9 (just didn't get into this one either...see above).
-X-com: Terror of the Deep (I keep dying stupidly on this one mission...I'll try again in a month or so)