Old July 23, 2003, 19:07   #1
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Teach Plato Apolyton History
With every thing going on lately I have been ready a lot of posts that start with "Back when..." so I have a few questions.

What was UBB? When did it start? How did it come to be part of poly? I have seen it referred to that two sites merged to form poly. What were they? (I'm assuming UBB was one.) Was Civ their primary focus? What happened to make the Civilization Decency act occur?

Thanks!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll

Last edited by PLATO; July 24, 2003 at 17:23.
Old July 23, 2003, 19:09   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:11
blah blah blah, the ultimate civilisation ii site formed, danq took it over, markos made first greek civ 2 site, blah blah, merged, used UBB forums for about 6 months to a year i guess, blah blah, then switched to vB....you can find a lot more history in peoples' sigs and in teh About section than you can in an a/c q.
Old July 23, 2003, 19:16   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:11
Try this..

http://apolyton.net/about/history/

Old July 23, 2003, 19:27   #4
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:11
I can tell you that I am the only one to be given the title Poly biggest Jackass, and nobody can take that away form me.
Old July 23, 2003, 21:37   #5
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Thanks alva!

Flash, I've seen a few who could give you a run for your money!
Old July 23, 2003, 22:48   #6
flash9286
King

no never u cant take my title away from me
Old July 24, 2003, 01:13   #7
GePap
Emperor

Long ago, in the recesses of time (1969) the great chaos loomed, and then came forth the hand of Meier, and he had delivered a game, and called it Civilization, and it was good...and time moved forward, and the date had become 1996, when a new star was formed by the Meier, and it was called Civilization 2. By this time, two simple peasants, one from the land of Hellas and one from Canadia had come into being, and when the new star came out, they plowed fertile fields of server space, and over time new shoots grew, and then the two peasants, seeing thier work was good, decided to come and jointly plow a new and greater field, and form that field spouted the beautifull works that stand before us today: and all was good in the eyes of Meier and The Great and powerfull BANANA.

Ahem!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 24, 2003, 03:02   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

GePap,

excellent!
Old July 24, 2003, 04:55   #9
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Re: Teach Plato Aployton History
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
With every thing going on lately I have been ready a lot of posts that start with "Back when..." so I have a few questions.

What was UBB? When did it start? How did it come to be part of poly? I have seen it referred to that two sites merged to form poly. What were they? (I'm assuming UBB was one.) Was Civ their primary focus? What happened to make the Civilization Decency act occur?

Thanks!
You see, the problem with the "About" section is it is rather reminiscent of a primary school history book. It doesn't give you any of the juicy stuff.

Anyway...

UBB is a forum software (Ultimate Bulletin Board). Apolyton currently uses vB (vBulletin). Apolyton used UBB until mid-2001, when it switched to vB. Many believe vB is more secure, and undoubtably better.

Apolyton was created ion July 26th, 1998, after the merger of the Ultimate Civilization II Site (DanQ), and The First Greek Civilization II Site (MarkG). "Apolyton" is Greek for Ultimate. One can assume this takes Markos' "Greek" and Dan's "Ultimate" from their respective sites. Negotiations took one week, after Dan initiated the talks.

Of course Civ was the primary focus.

There is too much, history, you know. So I'll give a couple of facts from the forums.

There were two Off-Topics - One for Call to Power, one for Civilization II. There were frequent flamefests between the two camps. Soon the forums were "merged" and today we have one Off-Topic. Ming, our benelovent moderator, wasn't exactly a popular choice when he was made moderator. Many "rebelled" against him, but some were more loyal to him (aptly nicknamed the Mingophants). Also, it is rumoured Ming was quite the spammer in the pre-Apolyton days.

Area 25 and 19 were forgotten forums which were found. Common consensus is that Alexander's Horse blew the whistle on 25, and Osweld gave away 19.

Only a few have been permanently banned (excluding DLs). These include yo_yo_yo_hey and Stewart Spinks (sp?). These were banned after the Age of Heavens (?) forum invasion. IIRC, AoH was operated by the same server Apolyton was, and pressure was put on the ACS administration to do something. YYYH is not known commonly if he has returned, however it is known that Boddington's is Stewart.

Another permanently banned poster has more recently returned, namely Evan von Christoph, under the persona of "Thorn". EvC was known for his excessive trolling, and most notibly his covered up thread consisting of an argument with one of his own DLs.

Why do people have 1970 registration dates? These are people who joined before early 1999 (i.e. the old sites' members).

Back in a time long forgotten Off-Topic posts did count. A certain poster, Mao, managed to amass 10,000 posts in one year, mostly posting in the Off-Topic.

Apolyton has been through it all, no doubt. But, I have only been here since August 2002, so I know not much.
Old July 24, 2003, 06:22   #10
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
Nice summary Frozzy. Also Plato check out Darkcloud's 'Poly lists, which contain a lot of similar info.
Old July 24, 2003, 06:24   #11
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
There were frequent flamefests between the two camps.
That must have been fun... A feeling of unity in each forum and a well defined enemy...
Can we separate it again?
Old July 24, 2003, 10:48   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
no never u cant take my title away from me
Was this a thread poll or was it bestowed on you instead of the traditional ranking?
Old July 24, 2003, 11:04   #13
flash9286
King

yes click the link in my sig
Old July 24, 2003, 11:17   #14
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Long ago, in the recesses of time (1969) the great chaos loomed, and then came forth the hand of Meier, and he had delivered a game, and called it Civilization, and it was good...and time moved forward, and the date had become 1996, when a new star was formed by the Meier, and it was called Civilization 2. By this time, two simple peasants, one from the land of Hellas and one from Canadia had come into being, and when the new star came out, they plowed fertile fields of server space, and over time new shoots grew, and then the two peasants, seeing thier work was good, decided to come and jointly plow a new and greater field, and form that field spouted the beautifull works that stand before us today: and all was good in the eyes of Meier and The Great and powerfull BANANA.

Ahem!
Now do the history of the OTF!
Old July 24, 2003, 11:23   #15
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It was NOT any kind of official title... just a BS little and very short lived thread poll that wasn't worth the time wasted on it.

It can't be taken away only because it was NEVER given in the first place. He's just full of himself.

Real titles have been given out, and he's never had one, and never will have one
Old July 24, 2003, 11:47   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
It was NOT any kind of official title... just a BS little and very short lived thread poll that wasn't worth the time wasted on it.

It can't be taken away only because it was NEVER given in the first place. He's just full of himself.

Real titles have been given out, and he's never had one, and never will have one
Thanks, Ming. I was wondering what he could have done to motivate a mod to give him a special title but not ban him.
Old July 24, 2003, 12:05   #17
flash9286
King

Quote:

I never said it was an official tilte., and you gave it to me since you changed the poll .
Old July 24, 2003, 12:07   #18
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Official titles are one thing... his claim of a title is just a dream in his own little mind. Very few people have been given special titles, and he isn't one of them
Old July 24, 2003, 12:24   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Are you getting all this, PLATO1003? This is how Apolyton History is made!
Old July 24, 2003, 15:24   #20
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 09:11
Yeah, a good node Ghengis.

At a time about two years ago, Yin26 got the special title of "President of OACTPC" or something along the lines, which stoof for President of Official Apolyton Civ Three Pessimist Club - Yin did, at the time before Civ 3 was released, make quite some sceptical notes .
Old July 24, 2003, 15:38   #21
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Are you getting all this, PLATO1003? This is how Apolyton History is made!
Old July 24, 2003, 22:07   #22
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Now do the history of the OTF!
And the Garden of Poly grew on the great server field and it was good, but a new and strange shoot appeared, and it flowered into a melodious blossom, and all the beings of the field were drawn to it..and they smelled the flower, and a great insanity took hold..for instead of saying prayers to Great Meier and his work, and the work of other Angels from the realms of Microprose and Fixaris, they spoke in tounges and chanted nonsense. But this was not the work of the fallen Angel Reynolds, nay, it was the work of greater evil, so the Peasant Mark came and took his mighty staff and with it drove out the greater postcount from the chatter.. But that was not enough for the chatter continued, so three lowly beings were annointed by the Peasant Mark and the Peasant Dan, and they were given Rods of Banning, to keep the melodious flower in check, and allow some sanity to return to the great field.

Ahem.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 24, 2003, 22:29   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:11
..And then the server crashed.

The end.
Old July 25, 2003, 01:28   #24
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
I can tell you that I am the only one to be given the title Poly biggest Jackass, and nobody can take that away form me.
Who are you?
Old July 25, 2003, 01:29   #25
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Was this a thread poll or was it bestowed on you instead of the traditional ranking?
This was a poll which has since become the most spurious poll in recent Apolyton history. What happened is, he started a poll asking who was Apolyton's biggest jackarse. The real winner was DinoDoc, followed by Kassiopeia in second. There were 25 voters before the poll was Mingified, and all votes were changed to flash9286.
Old July 25, 2003, 05:39   #26
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

You'd think Flash would have a different candidate for the title after having his thread thoroughly trashed.
Instead he considers it an honour?

Old July 25, 2003, 05:51   #27
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
So he couldn't even win a jackass competition?

Old July 25, 2003, 08:30   #28
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
what a loser

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 25, 2003, 12:06   #29
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I don't think anyone has answered your Civilization Decency Act question yet...

I don't know all the details, but then I don't think it ever was very exciting in the first place.

Back in 1998, the reigning Civilization2 site wasn't Apolyton, but rather "Addicted to Civilization" (now long gone). Since there were quite a lot of civ2 fan pages back then, they got the idea of, well, a "decency act". with the hope all fan sites would serve decent content, and properly credit authors of downloads etc.

Go back in history to Addicted to Civilization through the Wayback Machine.
You'll see what the site looked like in late 1998 and early 1999, and you can also see the original CDA (September 1998) and its signing members.

The CDA was a moderate success, but with the demise of Addicted, the CDA also went down.

In September 1999, SidGames (gone as well) and Apolyton revived the CDA.

Unfortunately, they never really brought any attention to it, and it kind of remained within the Civ2 community. Because of that, only me and one other site re-signed the newborn CDA.

This week Dan finally got rid of it. It was a great idea, but never really took off.

I don't think I've actually answered the question yet. I don't think anything "happened" really. But there were a lot of civ2 fan sites back then (and probably the idea that this would only increase), so it was an idea to make sure it all stayed decent.
Old July 25, 2003, 12:34   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I'm sorry but with all the comments about flash's "title" I was reminded of that guy from the movie, Happy Gilmore.
Attached Files:
File Type: wav jackass.wav (114.4 KB, 3 views)