Old July 28, 2003, 19:29   #31
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 06:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And after a while... we won't have any enemies either

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old July 29, 2003, 03:31   #32
Haon
ACDG The Human HiveMacAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
If we consider every person in the world an enemy we won't have any allies.
The thing is, technically, we are all enemies.

We are all trying to get to the top of the tech tree, become the richest, have the biggest army, what ever the goal, the whole game is one constant struggle to get to the top. We are all in one mad dash to the finish, some people will help us along the way, but only if they think it would help them. In the end, one person needs to get ahead and to do that would be not to help the other factions.

What about co-operative victory? Well why would any faction want to do that? The only factions that would seek it are those who feel that by joining forces with a faction that is clearly winning will be the only method of survival and possibly a comeback, and the faction that they join with will only accept them into a co-operative victory if they see a purpose for that faction, such as cannon fodder or as a source of income.

In the end, there can only be one true winner, we could ally with anouther faction and we could win together, but why would we, The Human Hive, whose manifest destiny is to spread and bring Communism upon Planet, wish to lower ourselves by assisiting otherswget power, and lower our self by letting our allies become productive when those bases can be controlled by the legions of The Crimson Guard! We could have allies and win, or we could try and lead the world as one Hegemon, with Dominance and controll, and win GLORIOUSLY!

But its to early to talk about world domination when we dont even have impact rovers, we can return to this issue in the future, but now we need to build some farms.
Old July 29, 2003, 04:09   #33
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 16:14
Hrmm this was the observation thread, not the share all opinions thread.

Anyway.

Data Angels have started the merchant's exchange.

Kody
Old July 29, 2003, 04:24   #34
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

For anyone that's interested the drones can be spied upon with this link.
http://www.civgaming.net/forums/online.php?s=

Quote:
User Name Location Last Active PM
buster Replying to Thread 18:17
Crazy_Achmed Viewing Thread 18:21
Hakkapeliitta Viewing Thread Apo Alahaala? 18:05
Kody Viewing Who's Online 18:21
Octavian X Viewing Thread Welcome to the Hive embassy 18:21
Rumrunner Viewing Attachment in Thread A Working Thread 18:18
Tau Ceti Playing in the CGN Forums Arcade 18:21
Guest Viewing Forum Civilization III - General/Help/Strategy 18:06
Guest CGN Forums Main Index 18:09
When they're in their private forum it gives a blank for the forum they are in.

Kody
Old July 29, 2003, 04:27   #35
Kody
Emperor

Quite useful, for example I just watched as Octavian X edited his profile at CGN gaming.

And now Octavian X is changing is avatar.

Kody
Old July 29, 2003, 10:33   #36
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 00:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Haon

The thing is, technically, we are all enemies.

We are all trying to get to the top of the tech tree, become the richest, have the biggest army, what ever the goal, the whole game is one constant struggle to get to the top. We are all in one mad dash to the finish, some people will help us along the way, but only if they think it would help them. In the end, one person needs to get ahead and to do that would be not to help the other factions.

What about co-operative victory? Well why would any faction want to do that? The only factions that would seek it are those who feel that by joining forces with a faction that is clearly winning will be the only method of survival and possibly a comeback, and the faction that they join with will only accept them into a co-operative victory if they see a purpose for that faction, such as cannon fodder or as a source of income.

In the end, there can only be one true winner, we could ally with anouther faction and we could win together, but why would we, The Human Hive, whose manifest destiny is to spread and bring Communism upon Planet, wish to lower ourselves by assisiting otherswget power, and lower our self by letting our allies become productive when those bases can be controlled by the legions of The Crimson Guard! We could have allies and win, or we could try and lead the world as one Hegemon, with Dominance and controll, and win GLORIOUSLY!

But its to early to talk about world domination when we dont even have impact rovers, we can return to this issue in the future, but now we need to build some farms.
Thanks Comrade Hoan. You helped me to understand a lot of things about the nature of the game, and the nature of the game players ...

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 29, 2003, 10:57   #37
Kody
Emperor

HongHu,

That's just one viewpoint on multiplayer games.

Personally I view them differently. Don't be mislead that what one person thinks is true, must be true for everyone.

Kody
Old July 29, 2003, 11:12   #38
Kody
Emperor

HongHu,

The reasons for our current pact was mainly to prevent the hive and drones from both losing power in a war that could not be easily won by either side. Both the hive and drones knew that a war would more likely result in a stalemate.

The drones are about the same strength as us from the pact infiltration, so it's not the case of either of us jumping on the winning faction's band wagon. The University or CyCon would serve the purpose of giving tech far better than the drones can for the hive, or the hive can for the drones so there's little to be gained in that respect. Cannon Fodder suggests that there's actually someone else, and neither of our factions have met anyone else. Consequently, Haon's idea of why factions need to pact does not cover our situation. This is probably why he doesn't believe in a pact.

Also there is the concept of team play. For example the hive is the team and by winning all the hive members share the prestige of winning. Why can't the two winning factions do the same.

I could probably play for the hive completely by myself, but why would I want to. Everything would be more difficult for me as there would be so much work and it's not as fun sometimes when you only play by yourself. Why can't two factions have more fun playing together and making the win easier by teaming up. Didn't we originally have the idea of pacting with the CyCon?

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 29, 2003 at 11:21.
Old July 29, 2003, 21:48   #39
Haon
Warlord

Quote:
Personally I view them differently. Don't be mislead that what one person thinks is true, must be true for everyone.
I agree, I would never suggest that my ideas will always work and may change my viewpoint as the game progresses, I dont want anyone to think that I have opinions like this in real life either. And I wont hate Kody because of the pact with the Drones, he is obviously an incredibly good player and I have no trouble with his views, and I might even accept them.
Old July 29, 2003, 22:02   #40
Kody
Emperor

Haon,

"incredibly good" is the wrong description. Incredibly obessed
would sum me up better.

You are be correct about what you said, but this is a democracy game where people play in teams. So I reckon people might be more inclined to team up with another faction.

The above post that I gave was the argument for the otherside.

Personally, I'm only hopeful until they actually give us that permament pact.

From what I can see the drones seem to be thinking the exact same things we are thinking of them. Probably a few war mongers, saying "we can take them on" and then others wanting long term relations but not sure if the hive is trustworthy. Ofcourse all they're showing us is a nice friendly smile, just like we are to them.

Kody
Old July 29, 2003, 22:06   #41
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

/me thinking ...
Hmmm...
Thinking is so hard when you are used to do all those mindless spamming ...

But I think Kody is right too. This is clearly a case of mutual benefit. And at least for now this is based on balanced strengths. Although I'm not sure whether things will change when strengths of both factions become unbalanced ...

As for the coorperative victory, oh it is so hard to achieve, when everybody but one (me ) shouts "power, power" in their dreams ...

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 29, 2003, 22:11   #42
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Ah, the instrumentality of Will to Power.
Old July 29, 2003, 23:25   #43
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
Who was it that said that fixed treaties are valid only so long as they are useful?

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old July 30, 2003, 02:10   #44
Haon
Warlord

My Guess it is either Bismark or Machiavelli.
Old July 30, 2003, 02:53   #45
Kody
Emperor

The pirates are on. Hope they're planning on doing the turn, rather than just talking in their private forum.

Kody
Old July 30, 2003, 16:34   #46
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
Im sure that Machiavelli would have thought that also, but I think the quote was of Lenin...

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old July 30, 2003, 17:21   #47
Haon
Warlord

One of th best Lenin quotes:

"Quantity, has a quality of its very own"
Old July 30, 2003, 17:49   #48
Snowflake
Princess

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 30, 2003, 18:24   #49
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

She laughs, but its so true.

-Jam
Old July 30, 2003, 19:06   #50
Vev
King

Just look at Microsoft's bug list.
Old August 4, 2003, 11:10   #51
Kody
Emperor

The Pirates are probably trying to cook up a deal with someone.

They've delayed their turn consecutively as long as they could.

Kody
Old August 4, 2003, 12:06   #52
Jamski
Deity

Perhaps they simply had too much Xenorum again... or are really lazy.

-Jam
Old August 4, 2003, 13:51   #53
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by EZRhino
Im sure that Machiavelli would have thought that also, but I think the quote was of Lenin...

Hmmm - I actually thought it was Buster ...............

G.
Old August 4, 2003, 14:24   #54
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kody
For anyone that's interested the drones can be spied upon with this link.
http://www.civgaming.net/forums/online.php?s=
Kody
Would anyone be able to deduce and view this link? - ie could other factions find out that there was a Hive Embassy thread at CGN?

G.
Old August 4, 2003, 14:30   #55
Snowflake
Princess

I asked this at CGN and buster or mongoose assured me that they won't see the thread name if they are not authorized. I would guess that also include the who's online page?

Grapefruit Garden
Old August 8, 2003, 02:58   #56
Vev
King

Hidden shall we be
Hidden are the Drones as well
One can ask so much
Old August 9, 2003, 04:59   #57
Kody
Emperor

Alot of activity in the Pirates forum. Several posts by johnmuller and Hercules, and one by another pirate member. They're also holding onto the turn.

A little activity in the University too. One post noted from GeneralTactics.
Old August 9, 2003, 10:11   #58
Kody
Emperor

Manic posted a couple of times to his forum.
Old August 11, 2003, 00:00   #59
Vev
King

Sounds suss what is going on between Uni and Pirates
Old August 11, 2003, 02:54   #60
Jamski
Deity

Well, mybe the Uni are just being lazy gits, and the pirates are spamming *******s

-Jam