Old July 24, 2003, 18:54   #1
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An Interesting, but Unimportant and Unrepeatable, Bug
Never seen this one before in all my games. I presume it is a random fluke, but thought I'd share it as I always find it interesing to find anomalies in the game.

PTW 1.21f, US version, standard map, all random. Fourteen turns ago I purcahsed a military alliance against the Russians from several civs, including the Babylonians. I had to pay the Babylonians a supply of Gems and 2 gpt in order to keep the Russian units off my back so I could continue with my plans. With six turns to go on the alliance, I checkin in to see how the Babs were doing, and whether they might like to purchase some tech from me. Imagine my surpirse when I could offer them up Gems!

I saved the game and then traded them a source of Gems for their World Map (only to highlight the bug). As a point of reference, there are absolutely no gem supplies anywhere near Babylonian lands, and there has never been a Babylonian city anywhere near the gem supplies in the eastern portion of the minimap -- so Hammurabi could not have secured a gem source after I traded him one as part of the MA and then traded the excess away, only to lose the "excess." Either he traded his sole source of Gems (an import to boot!) which I refuse to believe, or its just an interesting bug (which I believe).

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	weird gems bug resized.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	50341  
Old July 24, 2003, 19:54   #2
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
that definately does sound unpredictable. I have never tried, but is it possible to tarde away imports?

Sell your photos
Old July 24, 2003, 20:21   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:14
Is your alliance still in effect at that time? I asked as I see the (5) in front of the gems and wonder if that is some limiter?
Old July 25, 2003, 00:04   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Totally off-topic:

Why are you building a granary?

WTF are a Berzerk and an Ansar (?) doing in the middle of your territory?

What's up with all the remaining jungle?

Who did you just hand a can'o whupass to up north?

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 25, 2003, 00:08   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Weird.
Old July 25, 2003, 00:08   #6
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 11:44
that has happened to me before but I believe that it was not on 1.21f but on one of the earlier patches. I've actually done that a few times... seems to pop up at random though.
Old July 25, 2003, 00:53   #7
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
that definately does sound unpredictable. I have never tried, but is it possible to tarde away imports?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Is your alliance still in effect at that time? I asked as I see the (5) in front of the gems and wonder if that is some limiter?
Yup. Still in effect. I was actually checking the diplo screen to see how many turns the deal had left when I noticed I could trade Gems and thought "WTF?"

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Totally off-topic:

Why are you building a granary?
Damn city is growing too slowly and I am short of workers (and far too lazy) to irrigate and then go back and mine.

Quote:
WTF are a Berzerk and an Ansar (?) doing in the middle of your territory?
There used to be a Viking city to the north and the valiant Bererk is looking for spainards to beat up on -- that's a Conquistador coming to introduce himself to the Berzerk -- I left them to wander through my empire.

Quote:
What's up with all the remaining jungle?
See above - not enough workers. The game was won in the early middle ages, so I didn't exactly focus on playing well -- I played it out from habit and just to watch what the AI's might do.

Quote:
Who did you just hand a can'o whupass to up north?
Brennus got a bit uppity and decided that he could order me around and I decided to seal my northern border with the exception of the lonely Spanish city - I figured it would flip eventually.

All in all, a very interesting early game. Fairly poor starting terrain, but 4 unique luxuries within REXing distance -- meant a slow start but a rapid uptick in power in early Middle Ages. Could probably have been a cavalry-powered conquest but I decided to play for a "wonder victory" by claiming all the wonders . I built Sistine and think I finished the game with a total of 4 cathedrals

Catt
Old July 25, 2003, 07:02   #8
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
Catt, I have seen it before and think I have an explanation for it. I saw this in a current civ3v1.29 (vanilla civ3) when I offered the germans a luxury as part payment for a military alliance, they also got gpt and some cash.

After a while I noticed the same as you did, my luxury was free for trade and the alliance were still working. I think the germans lost the luxury beacause the trade lanes were interrupted(almost gloabal war in the middle age) but the alliance didn't break cause they still had gpt coming. Of course it caused relations to worsen and them accusing me of breaking deals.
Old July 25, 2003, 09:48   #9
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14
hi ,

, a save of that should be sended to Firaxis , .......

its rare but it has been there from time to time , ......

there is no line in what triggers it , ....

have a nice day
Old July 25, 2003, 12:45   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I wonder if it is not more common that was supposed? I mean most of the time you would never notice. I seldom make another deal soon after the first one and if I did I may not realize something was wrong.
Old July 25, 2003, 19:12   #11
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
I still have some of the saves but I won't be able to look at them the next two weeks
Old July 26, 2003, 11:37   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
I still have some of the saves but I won't be able to look at them the next two weeks

hi ,

when you find it , dont only post it on apolyton , send one to firaxis aswell , ....

have a nice day