Old July 24, 2003, 21:48   #1
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Grrr...why weren't these people immediately made US Citizens?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e_odd_cubans_1

Cubans make freedom bid in floating Chevy truck
Thu Jul 24,12:23 PM ET

MIAMI (Reuters) - The 12 Cubans who tried to sail a 1951 Chevy truck from the communist-ruled island to the United States got no marks from U.S. authorities for their creativity.

The would-be emigrants were sent back home.

Since Fidel Castro (news - web sites)'s 1959 revolution, Cubans have tried to leave the Caribbean island on rudimentary rafts, on giant truck inner tubes, in stolen boats and planes, even by windsurfer.

But no one remembers anyone attempting the 90-mile (145-km) crossing of the Florida Straits in a floating flatbed truck with 55-gallon (250-litre) drums strapped to its sides, tires still in place, a propeller attached to its drive shaft and a driver behind the wheel.

"We've seen surfboards, pieces of Styrofoam, bathtubs, refrigerators. But never an automobile," Coast Guard Petty Officer Ryan Doss said on Thursday.

A U.S. government plane spotted the bright-green truck chugging through the water at 8 mph (13 kph) on July 16 about 40 miles (64 km) south of Key West, just over halfway from Cuba to Florida. The Cubans had fashioned a makeshift, bright yellow shelter on the truck's bed.

"The truck's engine was actually running, propelling it through the water," Doss said.

The Coast Guard picked up the 12 Cubans from the vintage vehicle and took them back to the island on Sunday.

The truck was deemed a hazard to navigation and was sent to the bottom.

Under the U.S. immigration policy known as "wet foot, dry foot," Cubans who manage to set foot on U.S. soil are usually allowed to stay while those stopped at sea are routinely sent back to Cuba.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should we really be turning away people who are clearly made of the right stuff to appear on Monster Garage?

Kudos to the fleeing Cubans for their innovative and apparently functional approach; shame on the Coast Guard for sending them back to their deaths on the island.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old July 24, 2003, 21:50   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That's just too damn creative an approach to a problem not to reward. They should have been let in.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 24, 2003, 21:52   #3
MrFun
Emperor

ditto, DinoDoc
Old July 24, 2003, 21:52   #4
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
I guess the rules weren't aimed at people making their own amphibs.

Credit to the folks - that's determination for you.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 24, 2003, 21:53   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
Cause them the rules: don;t make it to shore, don;t get a free greencard.

The shame is that only cubans get this treatment: pay $30,000 to some human smuggler to get you to cross and ocean in a crammped cargo hold from China to the US, but if they catch you, even if on shore, first to prison, then back to China (or Haiti, or wherever you left), except Cuba, cause we all know human suffereing in Cuba is so much worse than, say, Angola, or Haiti, or any other state in the world.....
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 24, 2003, 21:53   #6
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
We should be sending back all of them. By allowing them in and automatically making them citizens, we are encouraging people to try and kill themselves in the shark-infested Florida straights. If they need to get out of Cuba so badly, let them go to the Bahamas or Haiti which are both much closer than Florida.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 24, 2003, 21:55   #7
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

With the "Wet food, dry feet" policy, would it really have been that difficult to allow them to finish the journey. Hell, once they got to shore they could have driven to the nearest McDonald's ( :Puke: ) and gotten a bite to eat, curtousy(sp?) of the US government.

Old July 24, 2003, 21:57   #8
Cruddy
Warlord

I wonder what the Navy's reaction was...

"Contact, semi submerged object heading Cuba-Miami at 2 knots".

"BATTLE STATIONS!!!"
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 24, 2003, 21:58   #9
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 06:15
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
We should be sending back all of them. By allowing them in and automatically making them citizens, we are encouraging people to try and kill themselves in the shark-infested Florida straights. If they need to get out of Cuba so badly, let them go to the Bahamas or Haiti which are both much closer than Florida.
I think america likes immigration. now not everyone does, but we were built on it. especially if its from a relatively small place like cuba that can't flood us like mexico can.
Old July 24, 2003, 22:00   #10
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Re: Grrr...why weren't these people immediately made US Citizens?
Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Should we really be turning away people who are clearly made of the right stuff to appear on Monster Garage?
Amen brother! General Motors coud have sponsored this group of people..........Our Vehicles last up to 50 years I would have loved to see the Disclaimer after the Comericial was over: Please do not try this at home Closed Course &(Professional Driver) Political Dissendents
Old July 24, 2003, 22:00   #11
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
I wonder what the Navy's reaction was...

"Contact, semi submerged object heading Cuba-Miami at 2 knots".

"BATTLE STATIONS!!!"
Navy and Coast Guard are two different entities, and it would be about 8 knots, not 2.

:cutesmileyhere:

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 24, 2003, 22:05   #12
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

Navy and Coast Guard are two different entities, and it would be about 8 knots, not 2.

:cutesmileyhere:

ACK!
Quote:
A U.S. government plane spotted the bright-green truck chugging through the water at 8 mph
Neither of them spotted it first - as for the speed, I find it hard to believe a home built amphib could make 8mph, let alone 8 knots, without a strong tail current or other simutus.

C'mon, where's your sense of humour?
Old July 24, 2003, 22:10   #13
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon

I think america likes immigration. now not everyone does, but we were built on it. especially if its from a relatively small place like cuba that can't flood us like mexico can.
You mean like in 1981?

Haiti is smaller, less people..and we give Haitian immigrants hell.

most Cuban immigrants, like most Chinese immigrants, are economic immigrants, not political refugees. It is utterly absurd (except politically) that only people from one country get to have free greencards if they make it illegally unto US shores.
Old July 24, 2003, 22:11   #14
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Now THAT'S the kind of people we should be letting in. Maybe we should make a deal with Cuba--we ship out 100 of our idiots for every few of these guys they send over.
Old July 24, 2003, 22:11   #15
Tuberski

Quote:

Neither of them spotted it first - as for the speed, I find it hard to believe a home built amphib could make 8mph, let alone 8 knots, without a strong tail current or other simutus.

C'mon, where's your sense of humour?
That was suposed to be the orange :Cute: smiley, I'm in a contest to see if I can avoid using smileys, other than ACK! anyway.

So, yes I knew you were joking, so was I.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 24, 2003, 22:23   #16
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
Funny how the few Cubans that try to make it to the states get so much press, while the thousands of Mexicans that try every day don't seem to merit that much attention.

There are 200 million street children in the world. Not one is Cuban. If the US dumped that stupid embargo they could get on with their lives. But no, the US would dearly like to give Cuban children the right to choose to sew baseballs for 2 cents a day.
Old July 24, 2003, 22:26   #17
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

You mean like in 1981?

Haiti is smaller, less people..and we give Haitian immigrants hell.

most Cuban immigrants, like most Chinese immigrants, are economic immigrants, not political refugees. It is utterly absurd (except politically) that only people from one country get to have free greencards if they make it illegally unto US shores.
I think ur tryin to start something w/ me that aint there. someone else could respond to ur post tho.

=D
Old July 24, 2003, 22:29   #18
Cruddy
Warlord

Does this mean if I turn up on a Florida beach, speaking fluent Latin American Spanish, I can get a green card for nothing?

Why aren't the Mexicans trying that stunt?
Old July 24, 2003, 22:29   #19
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Oh and BTW, yes, immigration laws are ****ing stupid. If you want to move, why should anyone stop you?
Old July 24, 2003, 23:25   #20
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Does this mean if I turn up on a Florida beach, speaking fluent Latin American Spanish, I can get a green card for nothing?

Why aren't the Mexicans trying that stunt?
Cause the Cuban Americans in the Miami IRS office could tell within an instant if it was a Cuban or not...just by how they speak.
Old July 25, 2003, 00:58   #21
Oerdin
Deity

I'm actually against even having the "make it on shore and you get a green card" policy. I'd bet 90%+ of these people are economic migrants. They should have to provide detailed proof that they are being prosecuted for their political or religious beliefs before these free loaders get to sign up for welfare and a free ride.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 25, 2003, 02:57   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm impressed with their ingenuity.

we need people like this in the U.S. People like that are what built our great nation.
Old July 25, 2003, 03:06   #23
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

They built a boat...out of a '51 Chevy Pickup...made out of not-quite-bouyant metal. They shouldn't have been turned away so callously.

Methinks at the very least they would have had little trouble finding jobs as mechanics. My allusion to Monster Garage was tongue-in-cheek; they clearly have mechanical and problem-solving skills, so worrying about them leaching off Welfare might be a little premature.

Old July 25, 2003, 03:06   #24
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Funny how the few Cubans that try to make it to the states get so much press, while the thousands of Mexicans that try every day don't seem to merit that much attention.

There are 200 million street children in the world. Not one is Cuban. If the US dumped that stupid embargo they could get on with their lives. But no, the US would dearly like to give Cuban children the right to choose to sew baseballs for 2 cents a day.
I'd love to see the embargo lifted, mainly to refute stupid assertions like the only reason that the Cuban economy is complete sh!t is the embargo. There's a reason why Cuba and NK are the only Stalinist command economy states remaining in the world, and that reason is that these sorts of economies have been disasters across the board. But in these two states the dictators are too closely associated with them to give them up.
Old July 25, 2003, 03:28   #25
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm actually against even having the "make it on shore and you get a green card" policy. I'd bet 90%+ of these people are economic migrants. They should have to provide detailed proof that they are being prosecuted for their political or religious beliefs before these free loaders get to sign up for welfare and a free ride.
BS, Cuba is a communist country anyone with any religious beliefs will be persecuted, guaranteed no proof necessary.
Old July 25, 2003, 03:32   #26
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Elden

BS, Cuba is a communist country anyone with any religious beliefs will be persecuted, guaranteed no proof necessary.
The Pope visited Cuba just a few years ago. I very much doubt that he would have done so if religious persecution against Catholics in the country was too severe. What specific evidence do you have if recent significant religious persecution in Cuba? Just because Cuba is Communist in name doens't mean it follows all aspects of that doctrine to the letter.
Old July 25, 2003, 03:35   #27
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Mordoch

The Pope visited Cuba just a few years ago. I very much doubt that he would have done so if religious persecution against Catholics in the country was too severe. What specific evidence do you have if recent significant religious persecution in Cuba? Just because Cuba is Communist in name doens't mean it follows all aspects of that doctrine to the letter.
Wow, didn't know the Pope had visited Cuba, interesting. But still I was under the impression that Communism officially forbade religion with harsh consequences for following it - or was that only the U.S.S.R. ?
Old July 25, 2003, 04:03   #28
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:

Wow, didn't know the Pope had visited Cuba, interesting. But still I was under the impression that Communism officially forbade religion with harsh consequences for following it - or was that only the U.S.S.R. ?
It sounds like Cuba is far more lenient.

The Pope held a mass while there, and the Cuban government actually provided buses for people for come.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9801/22/cub...eax/index.html

With collapse of the USSR, Fidel Castro apparently found it advisable politically to ease allow religious freedom while focussing on maintaining political power.

Last edited by Mordoch; July 25, 2003 at 05:20.
Old July 25, 2003, 04:23   #29
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 22:15
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Of course, if they were fleeing the Batista regime, you'd welcome them with open arms. Or are you just against all refugees?
Old July 25, 2003, 06:45   #30
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Neither east bloc state forbade religion, not even the USSR, although the restrictions to the churches there may have been more severe than elsewhere. In East Germany, where I grew up, we had pretty strong Evangelic and Catholic communities, or where else do you think came all the priests from, who led the peaceful revolution in 89/90?

Some of the church leaders whined about the "harsh restriction" of the churches though, seeing that less and less people went to the churches. After the reunification, they shut up very quick, seeing that the same shift towards atheism took place in West Germany too. It's a matter of education, I guess, not ideology.