Old July 25, 2003, 10:05   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Remember that Star Wars spoof? That dork twirling the stick? well...
Quote:
Star Wars video prompts lawsuit
A Canadian teenager has launched legal action against classmates who put a video of him online, saying that the publicity has left him mentally scarred.
Ghyslain Raza became known as the "Star Wars Kid" after a video of him using a golf ball retriever to emulate the light sabre slinging tricks of Darth Maul was posted on the net.

The video was hugely popular and some people even added effects to make the golf ball retriever look and sound like a light sabre.

But the public exposure of the clip proved a burden for Mr Raza, who has been through psychiatric care to cope with his unwanted publicity.

Cash call

The 15-year-old made the two minute video as part of a class project but probably never intended it to be seen by anyone else as it is not a flattering portrayal of his sabre-twirling skills.

The lawsuit filed last week alleges that four classmates of Mr Raza stole the video from the cupboard in which it was being stored, digitized the clip, posted it online and then invited people to view it and make insulting remarks.

Since the original was posted on the Kazaa file-sharing system, it has been downloaded and passed around to millions of people and Mr Raza's story has been featured in newspapers all over the world.

Now there are about 38 versions of the original video that add all kinds of effects to his stick twirling tricks or mock Mr Raza.

One site has started a petition to convince George Lucas to feature Ghyslain in the forthcoming Star Wars film.

The lawsuit says that Mr Raza has had to endure harassment and derision from his school mates and the general public because of the publicity that the clip received.

It also says that Mr Raza is undergoing psychiatric care to cope with the publicity and reaction.

Lawyers for Mr Raza are claiming compensation of 225,000 Canadian dollars (£100,000) from the four boys who allegedly stole the video and put it online.

The story about the lawsuit first appeared in Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...gy/3095385.stm

Published: 2003/07/25 10:25:43 GMT
What a dickhead! I'm not doubting that some people at his school are *******s and making fun of them, but this is just another dumbass lawsuit! "bllaahh people are making fun of me... but $225,000 dollars will make me feel better!"

It was a joke kid, get over it. It sound to me as if these *******s at your school would have made fun of you regardless. If anything, your performance in that Star Wars video spoof has given you a little bit of fame. And some website even wants to get you into the next StarWars movie... grow some balls and let it go. There are people out there with REAL problems.

just call me Mr. Tough Love
Old July 25, 2003, 10:10   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
I can understand him, but I wouldn't do that. Will only give him some MORE bad rep, and that's the last thing he needs.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:27   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 02:15
Oh, for ****'s sake!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:29   #4
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 06:15
Hey now. Dorks twirling sticks is valuable intellectual property.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:36   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

This kid might get rid of his unwanted fame a little faster if he didn't keep doing things to stir the **** up and get himself back in the news again.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:41   #6
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
Hmm... that's an awful lot of bread for the offence...

But I think those pranksters should at least pick up the tab for the psychiatric treatment.

Actions have consequences - you think they'd at least have hidden the ID of the twirler.

Mind you, if Lucas does end up giving him a bit part, it leaves him wide open for a countersuit - "We made you famous, pay up!"
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 25, 2003, 10:42   #7
Q Classic
Emperor

i pity the fool.

he's not making friends this way... whatever happened to that money donation drive that was carried out in ghyslain's name? if i recall correctly, he was getting at least an ipod out of it?

if he's suing after receiving it, just smacks to me as a bit ungrateful.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:44   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
But I think those pranksters should at least pick up the tab for the psychiatric treatment.
bullshit! I'd only agree to this if this kid can prove the *******s teasing him wouldn't have teased him regardless of the video. IMO, this kid would have gotten teased no matter what.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:48   #9
Defiant
King

Sava,
You are kind of taking this personal. Something in this bring back memories of you history, you know being made fun of.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old July 25, 2003, 10:51   #10
DaShi
Emperor

Someone should get Jar Jar Fett on his ass.
Old July 25, 2003, 10:52   #11
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
bullshit! I'd only agree to this if this kid can prove the *******s teasing him wouldn't have teased him regardless of the video. IMO, this kid would have gotten teased no matter what.
Sava, there's a big difference between being the Star Wars nut at a particular school - and being the Star Wars nut of the planet.

We're talking about an audience of millions here. How woud you like to be laughed at by millions of people?

If it had happened just in school, I would agree with you. But those idiots decided to distribute image material.

As the man (allegedly wrote); "publish and be damned".
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 25, 2003, 10:54   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Raza's Attorney- "Your honor, my client was already at the brink of mental breakdown at the time his supposed 'friends' leaked that video. I'd like to submit exhibit A to the court- one 'Star Wars Kid' video as evidence of my client's fragile state of mind."
Old July 25, 2003, 10:59   #13
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Personally I'd just give them a good kicking and enjoy the fruits of their prank. IIRC, he got a lot of free stuff as a result of this.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 25, 2003, 11:03   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
I have a feeling it's his parents that came up with this law suit idea.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 25, 2003, 11:04   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

How much is 225,000 Canadian Dollars in real money anyway? $100 USD?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 25, 2003, 11:05   #16
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think he's trying to get on the talk show circuit -- fifteen minutes of fame isn't enough, this one's going for the full half hour.
Old July 25, 2003, 19:05   #17
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
The 15-year-old made the two minute video as part of a class project but probably never intended it to be seen by anyone else as it is not a flattering portrayal of his sabre-twirling skills.
what an idiot.

don't people know not to do stupid things for class projects?
Old July 25, 2003, 19:07   #18
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:15
"ooh ooh mommy, these kids at school were poking fun at me!"

"What's their names? I'm going to call my lawyer!"

Old July 25, 2003, 19:45   #19
Tuberski

So, basically, it's not his fault he used SCHOOL material to make his Jedi adition tape and then didn't erase it?

He should be suing the school for having the equipment in the first place.....those bastards!

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 25, 2003, 19:46   #20
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

Sava, there's a big difference between being the Star Wars nut at a particular school - and being the Star Wars nut of the planet.

We're talking about an audience of millions here. How woud you like to be laughed at by millions of people?

If it had happened just in school, I would agree with you. But those idiots decided to distribute image material.

As the man (allegedly wrote); "publish and be damned".
He must have great hearing to hear millions of people laughing at him......

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 25, 2003, 19:55   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Remember that Star Wars spoof? That dork twirling the stick? well...
What video are we speaking of?
Old July 25, 2003, 20:01   #22
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

It's a movie of him in a dark room swinging a golf club around like a lightsaber. Go on Kaz....*ahem* a file sharing site, and type in "Star Wars Kid" if you want to see it.
Old July 25, 2003, 20:07   #23
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
This kid might get rid of his unwanted fame a little faster if he didn't keep doing things to stir the **** up and get himself back in the news again.
Bingo. There's money to be made-o.
Old July 25, 2003, 20:12   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Good

Those kids that humilated him in front of the country should pay for his psychiatric treatment. He suffered a great deal of humiliation from this invasion of privacy, I don't see why they shouldn't have to pay.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 25, 2003, 20:13   #25
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

That video was actually quite disturbing.
I do hope the kids cough up the money for the treatment. Because this one definately needs it.
Old July 25, 2003, 20:17   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Yes! He's from Trois-Rivieres...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 25, 2003, 20:19   #27
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Good

Those kids that humilated him in front of the country should pay for his psychiatric treatment. He suffered a great deal of humiliation from this invasion of privacy, I don't see why they shouldn't have to pay.
Donations are apparently being taken up by some of the sites that edited and released versions of the video.

Anyhow, if what I'm reading is correct (that it was posted on the internet by some ***** who had to break into a cupboard and steal school property to do so), then they deserve what he can take them for.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 25, 2003, 20:21   #28
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Yeah, they do..that kid needs some help. People were talking about trying to get him a cameo in the next movie or something...riiight.
Old July 25, 2003, 20:29   #29
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
[disembodied voice]May the courts be with him.[/disembodied voice]
Old July 25, 2003, 20:46   #30
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

OK

(1) If he's a real Star Wars geek then he should be in heaven. He's geek of the geeks, king of the hill, emperor of the known universe. Ugly smelly women will lust after him at comic conventions and weedy losers will want his autograph.

(2) I for one, and most people I suspect, weren't mocking him cruelly. I thought it was a really funny video, but I didn't think he was an idiot. In fact I thought he was pretty cool. When I was a lot younger, my friends and I used to play lighsabers. Who hasn't?

Look at the number of donations which were received for him. I think that shows that most people are grateful that he made them laugh, by being caught openly doing something deeply and charactistically human - acting silly.

Of course people laughed at him. I would have hoped he'd laugh with us because the sort of humour involved is one in which there is no malice.