Old July 25, 2003, 15:49   #1
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Knights of the Old Republic
Has anyone else played this game. I usually don't like Star Wars games (because they all tend to be bad), but this one is actually very good. The voice acting is some of the best I've ever seen in a game, there are tons of dialogue options and paths to take in quests ranging from good to Hitler quality evil. The game is based on D&D rules so it's easy to understand how to make your guy.

Combat looks pretty nice, and can be paused at any time allowing you to put specific moves in a queue instead of constantly hitting the button. When I started using this option I noticed combat got a lot easier. Combat is also based on D&D rules, rolling for hits/misses etc. but it's all done behind the scenes so it's pretty smooth.

I have found a couple very small bugs thus far, but in a game this big, a few minor bugs (that don't affect anything anyway) is great. Plus I may have used one dialogue loop to get my dark meter maxed . Not that it would have mattered as dark side points are easy to come by.

Currently I am starting Kashyyyk. I've completed Manaan and Tatooine. I met a guy on Manaan that let me into some secret assassins guild, and have killed a few people for him in exchange for some items. The +4 strength glove he gave me were nice, but the blaster was total crap. So far Manaan is definately the best planet graphically speaking. The Selkath look really good (they're fish thingies). Tatooine was ok. Kashyyyk seems pretty cool, and I'm having fun telling everyone that my wookie is gonna rip someone's arms off.

Things I've noticed:
Blasters are totally worthless later on because the don't hit enemies with light sabers.
The soldier class is much better than the other two at the beginning. I haven't really found a reason to use any of the skills except treat injury, but the feats are important (soldier get more feats, less skills). If you need to use skills, use another party member.
A double blade is much stronger than a single blade. Two blades are also better than a single one, but not as stong as the double.
Using a double blade + max frenzy + max force speed makes you nearly invincible. It gives you 5 attacks per turn at a higher damage each than is possible with any other weapon.
Light side points are much harder to get than dark side points. You can get dark side points nearly anywhere by threatening people and just being a ****.
Take the droid from Tatooine with you everywhere. He's not so good for killing, but the stuff he says is priceless.
Old July 25, 2003, 22:49   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I really want to try this game, but alas, PC port?

Really, is there one, or going to be one? I haven't looked yet.
Old July 25, 2003, 23:39   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
I really want to try this game, but alas, PC port?

Really, is there one, or going to be one? I haven't looked yet.
gonna have ta wait till? x-mas?
Old July 26, 2003, 07:18   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:17
There will definitely be a PC port. Microsoft paid Bioware huge piles of cash to get a six-month excusive on the XBox I believe. It'll out for PC in the Xmas/New Year period.
Old July 26, 2003, 07:45   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Article about the PC version at IGN: http://pc.ign.com/articles/430/430542p1.html
Old July 26, 2003, 17:32   #6
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Well, I guess no one else is playing it. Too, bad. If you do pick it up for Xbox, or for PC later, make sure you go to Kashyyyk at least 3rd. The plot twist (although still predictable) is made ridiculously obvious on Kashyyyk, so I'd recommend doing other planets first, that's all.
Old July 27, 2003, 00:19   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

gonna have ta wait till? x-mas?
I've heard November. That's ok, I have patience.
Old July 27, 2003, 00:21   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

I've heard November. That's ok, I have patience.

Thats better, I hope it comes out then, and in good shape.
Old July 27, 2003, 06:27   #9
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

An xbox game worth buying that's not a sports title?!? There may yet be hope for two hundred dollar paper weight.
Old July 27, 2003, 13:10   #10
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 07:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
An xbox game worth buying that's not a sports title?!? There may yet be hope for two hundred dollar paper weight.
..err Halo? Morrowind? (yes i know it PC first but it's still XBox)
Old July 27, 2003, 13:34   #11
Nostromo
Emperor

I'm playing a good guy for now. (Next game, i'll be playing an evil character ) I started with Tatooine and then moved on to Kashyyyk. Great game so far! However, its somewhat on the easy side. Little bugs here and there. Nothing major. Except maybe one, on Tatooine, involving the Sand people...
Old July 27, 2003, 20:01   #12
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I'm really interested in this game, but one good game doesn't justify the purchase of an Xbox. Hopefully they'll port this to the PS2 or Gamecube eventually.
Old July 27, 2003, 20:06   #13
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Ah, but Halo2 and Fable are coming in the near future. Maybe that justifies it.

As for KOTOR, I beat it yesterday. The end was somewhat anticlimatic IMO. Maybe the light side ending is better. I also noticed that the game was really easy. With max force speed and flurry, I one hit killed nearly every enemy. Malak is a giant puss too.
Old July 27, 2003, 20:06   #14
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I'm really interested in this game, but one good game doesn't justify the purchase of an Xbox. Hopefully they'll port this to the PS2 or Gamecube eventually.
Thats what I think. The Xbox doesn't have much to offer me that the systems I already own do. While I would love this game now, I can wait for the pc port...I think...
Old July 27, 2003, 21:36   #15
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike
Ah, but Halo2 and Fable are coming in the near future. Maybe that justifies it.

As for KOTOR, I beat it yesterday. The end was somewhat anticlimatic IMO. Maybe the light side ending is better. I also noticed that the game was really easy. With max force speed and flurry, I one hit killed nearly every enemy. Malak is a giant puss too.
Not to mention Deus ex 2. I don't know about Fable. I'm not a big fan of Molyneux. IMO he designs games around gimmicks, at the expense of gameplay. I'm playing KOTOR at normal difficulty setting. And its too easy. Have you tried other difficulty settings?
Old July 27, 2003, 21:38   #16
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I also noticed that the game was really easy. With max force speed and flurry, I one hit killed nearly every enemy. Malak is a giant puss too.
Can't you turn up the difficulty?

edit: Duh, I should've looked at the post right above mine...
Old July 28, 2003, 08:37   #17
Harry Seldon
King

Fable and Halo 2 look good for xbox but other than those two there's not much else on the horizon. I have Halo and Morrowind. There's just not enough RPGs for me to retain my interest in this system.

KotOR has gotten some pretty good reviews so I think I may pick it up this weekend, wife willing of course.
Old August 1, 2003, 01:03   #18
Sarxis
Emperor

Yes, Avault gave it five stars. I'm quite interested in it now, but of course, the PC port.

Its actually making me want to pull out my other SW games (Alliance, JK2).

And what about Jedi Academy? :O
Old August 1, 2003, 10:11   #19
Harry Seldon
King

I bought Kotor yesterday and was up until one playing it. Vey good so far. Controls are a little loose but I think I can adjust. Not enough chances for fighting right at the beginning.